What's new

Discussion Maximizing the Longevity of MKXL

KP3 needs to happen with no guests. Multiple Skins for the dlc characters.
For example:
Tanya-Edenian rebel, Ambassador
Goro- Dragon Armor, Shokan Prince
Tremor-Dream Realm, Mercenary
Bo Rai Cho- Master, Outworld warrior

This is a stretch, but a continuation of the story. Hopefully, IF they did do that, it will have good writing with better plot. Another balance patch (obviously)

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
MKX is practically designed to be dropped whenever the next NRS title gets released. Even with perfect execution and practice you will always hit the random factor ceiling that prevents long-term time investment into the game.

Israfel

Designer for BxA
KP3 would be another way to reinvigorate casuals and veterans alike as time goes on. Keep releasing costume packs as well. it's little but SF had like 900 costumes so why can't MK?

- injustice killed mk9 because people wanted a less flawed game (Input bug, p1 Advantage, kabal etc)
- mkx killed injustice because for most People it was just "the game until the next MK" anyway
- as mkx neither is as flawed that it has to be replaced nor just a placeholder until injustice 2, injustice 2 is not gonna kill mkx.
MKX is practically designed to be dropped whenever the next NRS title gets released. Even with perfect execution and practice you will always hit the random factor ceiling that prevents long-term time investment into the game.
tell that to sonic fox

Colest

Mid-Tier 'Mancer Main
If there isn't continued support like SFIV got then it will die. NRS has shown that they are interested in cranking out a game every 1.5 to 2 years and focusing only on one game at a time so judging by Paulo's comments on this last patch being the last big patch then MKX's days seemed numbered. My suspicion is this is a push from WB to maximize income but who knows. It's disappointing either way.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
1. I think KP3 should be community inspired 4th variations for all the characters each including a new skin (if there is gonna be a KP3)

2. Balanced tested balance approved variation specific frame data making all the least tourney viable variations of characters much more formidable against their generally easier to compete with variations. Example give Raidens MOS variation better cancel advantage on certain strings so he can safely place traps as appose to his other variations...u know subtle​
There's already an alternative to cancelling blockstrings into singular orbs with Master of Storms Raiden:

Don't do it. :DOGE

It all boils down to forcing people to adapt or die basically. People demand for others to "level up" but how are going to do that when half of the community complains about characters in the game, without properly labbing them? How can we stop boredom when half of the people are in the same clan, you already know that they are going to win and thus eliminates the mystery factor. Here's a sad fact and piece of reality: When half the community saw Killtron use Jax and beat that other person, it garnered reactions only because

1. People thought it was a freaking girl and were going bat-crap crazy over it.
2. People saw that it was someone on a wheelchair, an apparent disability and plus the age factor played a huge part in this.

What's so sad about this is that Pig had the nerve to try to discredit this play with his incredulity and idiotic questions next (questioning his gender and age as if it he was required to tell him or something.) But even with all of this being stated, EVERYONE was hype due to it being someone other than Sonicboring or a Yomi or any clan-affiliated player. Nothing to do with the characters or the overall game but the majority fan base that plays it.

Casuals have NOTHING to do with the long-term affects of what several idiotic decisions NRS makes in their game regarding balancing and the supposed "new" online (which as far as I am concerned, was a master attempt to persuade people to stick with this game and to avenge the sinking sales.)

WATCHD0G

Noob
I will always support NRS games 100% no matter what. Not just some NRS games, all of them. If I went to a tournament today and Injustice & MK9 were both playable games, I would sign up for them both period. Not only because I love the games and have alot of fun playing them but I also know entering the tournaments support the games. I purchased the Blue Steel Sub Zero costume and the Krimson Ermac costume, I don't use either character and don't care about the costumes honestly, but I know they support the scene so I bought them.

When Injustice 2 comes out, if MKXL happens to be at any tournament that I attend, even if it's just a side tournament I promise 100% that I will be entering it and competing in it.

Hell many years down the road if I'm still competing in Injustice 4 and Mortal Kombat 12, if there happens to be any older NRS games as side tournaments there I'm entering them all. I just love NRS games that much and love the scene, I would want to support the games as much as I could.

If most individuals in the scene had this mindset and supported all NRS games majority of the time, then MKXL's longevity would be nothing to worry about and Injustice would probably still be a main game at tournaments to this day.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
What I think would be a good way to keep both games alive is to make injustice 2, but then continue to make content and keep balancing MKXL, to keep updating them side by side to keep them interesting, keep adding new characters to both, keep adding balance patches, etc. And keep ESL going for both games. I love both of these franchises, and I want to play them both competitively. Not to mention I finally found my character in MKXL so the game the past 9 months to me has been an absolute blast.

D

Deleted member 9158

Nrs should just pay sonic fox to not compete in nrs games. Then he can focus on sfv where it's actually fun to watch him and it'd make MK tourneys more hype.
When he made grand finals at final round I turned off the twitch stream and did something else. The kid is amazing but he completely kills hype for me now. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. It is what it is though.

Doctor Rektangle

Think outside the Box
Just keep playing. The game only dies when you forget about it. People never forget about Marvel 2 or Super Turbo. People don't forget about KoF 98. People haven't forgot Guilty Gear XX or Accent Core. If you keep playing, the scene will never die. Although some people will move on to the next game just cause that's where the money is now and others because they rather focus on one game than multiple ones.

I think there's more people doing stuff for the UMK3 and MK2 scene than the MK9 one. Not sure about Injustice I think people are still Online last I checked.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
If youu want a game to last continue to go and enter or actually go to tournaments. So many people on this site just sit and do not go to events even though they probably can. They talk about how they do not want a game to die but do nothing about it. People are still playing SF4 at events. People actually still played MK9 at Big E events Thanks to Mike Metriod. Bottom line if you want a game to continue to live go to events and support it. Talk to the TO about running the event as well. There are plenty of games that get 20 people but they still are tournaments as side events. If they want stream time or matches recorded they get it to work. I know at pretty much every event he can go to Jonnitti helps run Soul Calibur cause he loves the game so much. You don't need large pot bonus's or free entry to keep a game alive you just a need community. Doesn't matter how old the game is either.