What's new

Massive Changes in Microsoft's Xbox One Policy

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
That's a change that doesn't fundamentally brick the system -- but changing back to checking in every 24 hours would render the console unusable for a lot of people, and I guarantee there'd be class action lawsuits.
Well, you can`t guarantee anything my friend. And no, the 24 hours thing doesn't fundamentally break the system, that's why people still wanted to buy the Xbox Dumb even with all the other crap policies. M$ will implement the changes little by little 'cause that is the best way of doing it, but they will be very carefull of course.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Now that the system is usable offline, going back to a 24-hour check in window would render the system and all game purchases unusable for anyone that doesn't have their system constantly connected to the internet. That's a fundamental change that would leave a lot of people with a $500 coaster after they'd already bought the console.

There would be massive lawsuits, and it would ruin all future Xbox sales. You won't see it happen.

And no, that's not the same as having it be the case upfront. People expect to get what they buy. Minor changes are one thing; millions of consoles becoming unusable is another.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
well, its a fundamental change but not one that breaks the system. And yes, I can see it happen, obviusly not now but in some years.

VizNasty

Noob
So these morons who prattle on about them being money hungry are just unaware of the world around them (likely because they are children and/or welfare recepiants)
It's frustrating that people villainize businesses for being profit driven, for sure. But calling these people morons and assuming they're on welfare, and denigrating welfare recipients in your tone/intent, seems pretty heavy handed and unnecessary.

Jeffreys

Grundy think you handsome!
I do enjoy Microsoft backtracking on their initial decision for used games and DRM. However it is still $500 so ill wait till they lower it to atleast $400 to keep it competive because I have no desire for a kinnect and shouldn't be forced to pay more for one. At $500 you should probably start thinking about building your own PC.

aj1701

Noob
Oh yeah I remember. However they learned from their mistakes as well. The PS3 was a failure in my eyes. M$ is making (or at least was) the same mistake as Sony with the PS3. Charging too much for the system. Making an inferior system when compared to the 360. Yes the cell processors are powerful but they are a pain in the ass to develop for, which is why developers made games on the 360 first then ported over to the ps3. Sony had a big head about themselves before the PS3. "Oh people will buy the PS3. It's the next Playstation! We'll charge $600 for it. What will gamers do?" Gamers AKA the consumers went with the 360. Why? Because they had a choice. Sony fucked us in the beginning. Now all I see is this from M$. Windows 8 and the xbox one. My gripe with M$ changing it's tune is the people that are saying "Oh all are complaining and rants on the internet did it". No it didn't. Preorders did it. Money talks in the corporate world. Much louder that cries from the internet.
Ps3 sales are about even with 360 so I don't think your failed claim holds up. Not everyone has both console's, I only have ps3 (and Wii, but no games I like there). It was too much to ask to learn a new processor, but plenty if games show it can be done.

Not sure why you're tossing win8 out there, its a good os and not as different as people make it out to be. I have it on my laptop desktop and surface pro tablet, and I find it works well on all of them.

Yes the preorders(or lack thereof) got ms to reverse course, but the internet got the word out on why people should avoid so its foolish to say it didn't matter.

Narra

Also to the people that think that everything is all sunshine and lollipops with Microsoft now their policy states they can change this at anytime so pretty much you can buy the system then they will screw you over.

Also to the people that think that everything is all sunshine and lollipops with Microsoft now their policy states they can change this at anytime so pretty much you can buy the system then they will screw you over.
This point got completely invalidated on the previous page.

Also, nearly all disclaimers for these types of services say the exact same thing about adjusting policies.

MashBot

You're over matched.
What about storage? Non removable Only 500gigs HDD? No check ins mean less space. Lets say I only use Internet to dl games. Now a days games run from 4-11 gigs I easily have 50 games and 35 gigs of muisc I listen to now( not all). Lord knows how much the system itself will take up. Plus other bs will 500gigs be enough? Or would I be able to hook up my 2tb hard drive?

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
God.. I honestly wish they would have just stuck to their guns and not caved. In the long haul the shitheads complaining would have caved and bought one.

Now they have to punish all of the consumers and revoke a lot of good ideas they had just to spite everyone quoting memes and shit.

I would buy one regardless. Not because I'm some loyal drone fan boy. But because I like the idea of having all the next gen consoles.

Narra

God.. I honestly wish they would have just stuck to their guns and not caved. In the long haul the shitheads complaining would have caved and bought one.

Now they have to punish all of the consumers and revoke a lot of good ideas they had just to spite everyone quoting memes and shit.

I would buy one regardless. Not because I'm some loyal drone fan boy. But because I like the idea of having all the next gen consoles.

I wish they didn't cave because I want Halo on PS4

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
I wish they didn't cave because I want Halo on PS4
AINT NO WAY THE GOVERNMENT GONNA PUT DAT DERE CAMERA IN MY HOUSE. FIRST THEY TRY TO TAKE MA GUNZ NOW THEY GONNA SURVEIL MY PREMISIS. I RED DA KONSTITUTON.

Gettem Dale!

No but seriously. I would have liked to see how things played out and have them drop it later if it was such an issue. Now Microsoft is acting like a spiteful twat who didn't get her way and pulling all of these supposed great ideas from the system for no good reason at all.

Narra

AINT NO WAY THE GOVERNMENT GONNA PUT DAT DERE CAMERA IN MY HOUSE. FIRST THEY TRY TO TAKE MA GUNZ NOW THEY GONNA SURVEIL MY PREMISIS. I RED DA KONSTITUTON.

Gettem Dale!

No but seriously. I would have liked to see how things played out and have them drop it later if it was such an issue. Now Microsoft is acting like a spiteful twat who didn't get her way and pulling all of these supposed great ideas from the system for no good reason at all.

Its sad when not having Used Games DRM is a feature nowadays....It was ALWAYS that way and look at us now.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Its sad when not having Used Games DRM is a feature nowadays....It was ALWAYS that way and look at us now.
Its sad that PC gamers can see past lending disks but console gamers can not. Steam sucked at first but now their delivery system is loved more than ever. Microsoft is a company that could have delivered the same idea.

What good ideas? The only good idea was family sharing, it was new and not seen before.

However instead of making people happy they want to still piss of people and say we are in control and remove family sharing... It's not the community fault it's M$, it's like there using negative reinforcement, give us feedback, we listened to your feedback and applied the changes but oh yeah we're taking something away that you liked because were butt hurt...

There whole decision making system is on a "special" level, family plan could have been something over the ps4 and a nice advantage. Instead they take it away and the ignorant people blame the mass majority who spoke up against this evil.

The smart thing to do would be apply family plan to digital games only (since now players have the CHOICE to purchase physical or digital), this would give an incentive to purchase the digital games (yielding more profits to M$ and developers and gamers using family share, everyone wins), but ALSO they could implement there restrictions of check ins and online only to use the family share... So what they would have is people who can't or don't want to check in or don't have access to 24/7 Internet will not use the feature or use it when able and more importantly to M$ they are paving the way to the future slowly guiding the sheep to accept there policies... M$ want a cookie, gamer says yes and takes the cookie, as gamer eats cookie M$ injects them taking 10ml of their blood, gamers feel a pinch but are too busy eating their cookie and when there done the cookie, M$ runs into the shadows and gamer shugs and goes home happy.

Additionally the check in could be set up so that if you don't check in the only thing that happens is whatever game you are sharing on family plan would not be available to others until you check in... Not unreasonable considering the benefits

I mean common... But I guess we can't expect much, this is a company who THOUGHT THESE POLICIES WERE A GOOD IDEA! Let me say that again... M$ thought it was a good idea doing this!! They didn't even make it out of E3 alive lol.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
What good ideas? The only good idea was family sharing, it was new and not seen before.

However instead of making people happy they want to still piss of people and say we are in control and remove family sharing... It's not the community fault it's M$, it's like there using negative reinforcement, give us feedback, we listened to your feedback and applied the changes but oh yeah we're taking something away that you liked because were butt hurt...

There whole decision making system is on a "special" level, family plan could have been something over the ps4 and a nice advantage. Instead they take it away and the ignorant people blame the mass majority who spoke up against this evil.

The smart thing to do would be apply family plan to digital games only (since now players have the CHOICE to purchase physical or digital), this would give an incentive to purchase the digital games (yielding more profits to M$ and developers and gamers using family share, everyone wins), but ALSO they could implement there restrictions of check ins and online only to use the family share... So what they would have is people who can't or don't want to check in or don't have access to 24/7 Internet will not use the feature or use it when able and more importantly to M$ they are paving the way to the future slowly guiding the sheep to accept there policies... M$ want a cookie, gamer says yes and takes the cookie, as gamer eats cookie M$ injects them taking 10ml of their blood, gamers feel a pinch but are too busy eating their cookie and when there done the cookie, M$ runs into the shadows and gamer shugs and goes home happy.

Additionally the check in could be set up so that if you don't check in the only thing that happens is whatever game you are sharing on family plan would not be available to others until you check in... Not unreasonable considering the benefits

I mean common... But I guess we can't expect much, this is a company who THOUGHT THESE POLICIES WERE A GOOD IDEA! Let me say that again... M$ thought it was a good idea doing this!! They didn't even make it out of E3 alive lol.
The smart thing to do is make it so your game doesn't get assigned to your console and still allow the family share plan or take away any fucking features. There is no explanation anyone could make to justify this other than their pussy stinks.

I do enjoy Microsoft backtracking on their initial decision for used games and DRM. However it is still $500 so ill wait till they lower it to atleast $400 to keep it competive because I have no desire for a kinnect and shouldn't be forced to pay more for one. At $500 you should probably start thinking about building your own PC.

Actually 400$ will buy you a PC with higher specs than both systems so by your logic you should buy a PC instead of a PS4. Welcome to PC gaming buddy!

Also I really don't understand the people saying they are "forced" to buy a kinect. The only reason this is an issue is because kinect was sold separately with the 360. I don't see people bitching that the Nintendo forces you to have a tablet or forces you to have a motion sensor. Do you really think Nintendo couldn't sell their systems cheaper if they didn't come bundled with a tablet and motion sensor? Let's not forget that before the wii Nintendo functioned just like every other console, the wii came along and added motion control and the motion control sensor came with every system "FORCING" people to have it. Does anyone else see the hypocrisy here?

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
Actually 400$ will buy you a PC with higher specs than both systems so by your logic you should buy a PC instead of a PS4. Welcome to PC gaming buddy!

Also I really don't understand the people saying they are "forced" to buy a kinect. The only reason this is an issue is because kinect was sold separately with the 360. I don't see people bitching that the Nintendo forces you to have a tablet or forces you to have a motion sensor. Do you really think Nintendo couldn't sell their systems cheaper if they didn't come bundled with a tablet and motion sensor? Let's not forget that before the wii Nintendo functioned just like every other console, the wii came along and added motion control and the motion control sensor came with every system "FORCING" people to have it. Does anyone else see the hypocrisy here?

Kinect is not vital to the gaming experience though.

Your nintendo analogy would be like if the xbox one didn't come with a controller.

Kinect is not your controller. Its a gimmick.

MashBot

You're over matched.
I love how the guy who invented the motion sensor begged micro$oft to use his tech. And they said no. Nintendo seen it jumped all over it and banked alot of money off the 1st gen to have it. Then once again. M$ once again was like look at us were late as usual and don't know what we're doing. But better late then never. Rite?

I love how the guy who invented the motion sensor begged micro$oft to use his tech. And they said no. Nintendo seen it jumped all over it and banked alot of money off the 1st gen to have it. Then once again. M$ once again was like look at us were late as usual and don't know what we're doing. But better late then never. Rite?

Yeah their reputation precedes them. They can't take risks without facing huge backlash as we've seen. I don't blame them for sticking with the status quo. Apple is very much proprietary and locked down in comparison to Android but people see Apple as innovative. It's all really perception of the companies they have built reputations that they have to live with and in many ways it can handcuff what their future ambitions are.

Kinect is not vital to the gaming experience though.

Kinect is not your controller. Its a gimmick.
You don't know jack shit about the PS4 or X1 gaming experience yet.

Kinect sold separately = supplementary feature (arguably a "gimmick"), while Kinect mandatory = universal feature. Developers are now less inhibited by concerns of losing time and money on an smaller, isolated population. You can't deny the potential in major studious taking interest in newer technologies.