What's new

Making Random Stage Select Tournament Standard?

BEENEEWEENEES

Thou shalt be slain!
now that it's been revealed that the different stage sizes can dramatically alter a match-up, shouldn't it be standard to have it on random select unless players agree on a stage? that's the way it is in literally every other game right now. i'm scrolling through the "kevo wins civil war" discussion and seeing a ton of shit about "counter-picking stages" and whatnot. this should NOT be an issue and should be run exactly like tekken and soul cal do it, where stage select is always random and the loser can opt to pick a new random stage.

before i get any "BUT WHAT ABOUT KRATOS" responses, it doesn't take 20 seconds to pause the game, back out, and re-select characters to randomly get a new stage. this is the way france did shit when they banned star wars stages in SC4 and it worked absolutely fine.

NKZero

Noob
This is what I think: when you intially select a character, just check the stage that was already selected at random to make sure it is not a banned stage and then you must play on that stage. The loser of that first match can then opt to go back to the character select screen but then they should only check the stage again to make sure it is not banned.

That's fair in my opinion. Nobody is picking the stages. If you get a disadvantage stage...tough luck. I don't think even the loser has the right to change stage but at least he can opt for another random select in the hope he gets a better stage than the first one.

Anyone agree?

NKZero

Noob
BEENEEWEENEES sorry man i didn't actually read what you had to say since I was desperate to get my opinion out lol. just realised we had the same thing....so I agree with you.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
now that it's been revealed that the different stage sizes can dramatically alter a match-up, shouldn't it be standard to have it on random select unless players agree on a stage? that's the way it is in literally every other game right now. i'm scrolling through the "kevo wins civil war" discussion and seeing a ton of shit about "counter-picking stages" and whatnot. this should NOT be an issue and should be run exactly like tekken and soul cal do it, where stage select is always random and the loser can opt to pick a new random stage.

before i get any "BUT WHAT ABOUT KRATOS" responses, it doesn't take 20 seconds to pause the game, back out, and re-select characters to randomly get a new stage. this is the way france did shit when they banned star wars stages in SC4 and it worked absolutely fine.
I agree. But for the most part the temple and stages that are this size should be the standard. It is neither really long or incredibly short. I dont see why we cant just eliminate the random factor and use the stages that are considered the most fair such as temple, gardens, coliseum, etc.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I agree. But for the most part the temple and stages that are this size should be the standard. It is neither really long or incredibly short. I dont see why we cant just eliminate the random factor and use the stages that are considered the most fair such as temple, gardens, coliseum, etc.

Because the stage differences are an intentional part of the game design.

Tekken 4 did this were every tournament match was in the arena and it sucked.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Coin flip for player advantage + random stage select. The different sizes are definitely a diversification of the gameplay process, not some random asset that alters gameplay. Plus, the loser has always the choice of changing the character and the stage, nothing wrong with that.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
But...But...if the game is played on ps3, then what about Kratos' stage? :eek: lol J/k. Isn't the street and hell banned too?

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
I love how a lot of things were not a issue months ago. Now we got ppl fighting for 1st player and stage selects.

I do agree on stages being left at random.

I have an honest question about the roof top stages. The camera on those stages rotate far too greatly to the point where you can't determine the distance between the players. This is a huge problem since out of no where the camera will shift and completely through off spacial judgement making the stage a factor on your footsies game.
So why arn't these stages banned?
Please reply to this. These stages should not be tournament viable

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I have an honest question about the roof top stages. The camera on those stages rotate far too greatly to the point where you can't determine the distance between the players. This is a huge problem since out of no where the camera will shift and completely through off spacial judgement making the stage a factor on your footsies game.

Because we're not the Smash community were we have this giant list of bans and rules.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
The camera forgot it had to go a bit further to focus on The Hangover Part 2 billboard.

Stage select should be mandatory. Only problem are stages like Hell and the God of War stage cause of lag and shaking.

GambitTheFirst

Just some bees, please.
This is what I think: when you intially select a character, just check the stage that was already selected at random to make sure it is not a banned stage and then you must play on that stage. The loser of that first match can then opt to go back to the character select screen but then they should only check the stage again to make sure it is not banned.

That's fair in my opinion. Nobody is picking the stages. If you get a disadvantage stage...tough luck. I don't think even the loser has the right to change stage but at least he can opt for another random select in the hope he gets a better stage than the first one.

Anyone agree?
Yeah I think this makes the most sense. Decide on who you're both picking, check the stage to see it's not a banned stage, if not then that's the stage you play on. If it's a banned stage then there should be a staple stage that get's picked in that case i.e. Kahn's arena or Courtyard. And yeah, loser gets to choose if they want a "stage reshuffle".

Sorry for regurgitating what you just said, but that was pretty much exactly what I thought on the subject XD

NKZero

Noob
Yeah I think this makes the most sense. Decide on who you're both picking, check the stage to see it's not a banned stage, if not then that's the stage you play on. If it's a banned stage then there should be a staple stage that get's picked in that case i.e. Kahn's arena or Courtyard. And yeah, loser gets to choose if they want a "stage reshuffle".

Sorry for regurgitating what you just said, but that was pretty much exactly what I thought on the subject XD
Haha glad to see we share the same opinion. However I disagree about what happens if we get a banned stage. If we can avoid selection at all cost then that would be better. It doesn't take long to back-up to main menu, enter two player mode versus and then check again. That's the best thing imo.

bipolar_shango

" Bros before Hoes"

I suggested this in the "Kevo wins Civil war" thread and i was inches from being blown up for suggesting it.:)