What's new

Strategy - Commando Making EX Command grabs whiff

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
Yeah I know; I just thought I'd add it to the list. A Metered grab should totally not have priority over rekka pressure; why would it? Totally fine as is. :DOGE

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Sub-Zero B2 does it too.
If I had the time I'd go through every normal and string but tbh it's sooo much work haha that's why I stuck with sweep since they are kind of universal. But I didn't know subs b2 did it, it doesn't even make him airborne. I guess it's the sort of wonky backwards movement

If I had the time I'd go through every normal and string but tbh it's sooo much work haha that's why I stuck with sweep since they are kind of universal. But I didn't know subs b2 did it, it doesn't even make him airborne. I guess it's the sort of wonky backwards movement
In short, you can counter pick Commando by hitting random select on the character screen.

FlappyDaniel

might be worth testing; I've just been playing more frequent sets against a buddy so I'm just trying to post about whatever I notice and remember from the games.

tafka Djinn

One for three off the roof
Depending on where your grab comes out against his B2 it can work, but I've only had it happen maybe once in thirteen attempts. I'm out of town till next week, but I'm going to setup a macro to test more thoroughly on PC when I get back.

FlappyDaniel

Yeah; I figured it was possibly on tight timing; but it happened to me twice in a row last night so it wouldn't be a hard timing to hit; especially since that OH has decent priority. Just something to stay aware of. Would probably just be better to EX Ball armor through the OH then trying to go for C.Grab armor.

tafka Djinn

One for three off the roof
Oh definitely the better option, but if the timing exists for it, I'd rather try and get it than waking up with EX Ball if I can avoid it.

I think Commando Kano's biggest strength is that no one plays him competitively. Because of that - no one is going to take the time to learn all these things that destroy him :p.

I think Commando Kano's biggest strength is that no one plays him competitively. Because of that - no one is going to take the time to learn all these things that destroy him :p.
A few people use him, Coach Steve for one, but you're right. There are a lot of matches where I get away with stuff that is easily punishable, because nobody knows it can be punished.

FlappyDaniel

Coach seems to use mainly Cyber in tourny. I'm sure he uses Commando for certain MUs but it's really not consistent enough to be competitive against a lot of the cast. It has some niche MUs that it does well enough in that the whiff issues are ok to overlook but IMO they're too much to use him for everything. Cyber is just much more consistent.

edit: if he was just more consistent then he could easily compete with most of the cast.

Yeah... I guarantee if you see this character in top 8 of majors people will take the time to learn the holes in his game plan

Coach seems to use mainly Cyber in tourny. I'm sure he uses Commando for certain MUs but it's really not consistent enough to be competitive against a lot of the cast. It has some niche MUs that it does well enough in that the whiff issues are ok to overlook but IMO they're too much to use him for everything. Cyber is just much more consistent.

edit: if he was just more consistent then he could easily compete with most of the cast.
I'm certain he said he uses Commando occasionally, believing it has the edge over Cyber in certain match ups.

It would be easier to just ask him though.

@MrInsaynne Do you use Commando in tournaments at all? And if so, do you find people are familiar with the match up, or that you can get away with some things you shouldn't?

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
My rule of thumb is

If it launches or is a string my opponent would use a lot it probably is grab immune. Because why just blow up command grabs when you can nuke the whole idea of it with a meterless launcher.

FlappyDaniel

I'm certain he said he uses Commando occasionally, believing it has the edge over Cyber in certain match ups.
that's... what I said right? Coach has already stated his opinion which is why I said what I said; but perhaps his view has changed slightly with more playtime.