What's new

Make Fatalities Fun Again

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
My open letter to NRS about making fatalities fun again:

Part of the magic of MK is the ability to kill your opponent at the end of the round, but what exactly makes the fatality fun? I would argue that the system, along with some of the cinematics from mk9 could use some adjustment to make this magical part of MK more fun for everyone.

1. They should be shocking and fast. They not only need to be gruesome and terrifying, but they need to happen soon enough to catch you off guard for that surprise factor, and fast enough to keep the matches moving to the next one. Murdering the opponent for losing is more fun when its a quick off with their head or spine rip. In MK9 I found myself often thinking, geez I really want to kill this person now, the game told me to finish him... but I'd rather get to the next match quickly, so... uppercut. Sad. Another thing that will help with this is to allow the player to continue to move at the end of the round, and the ability to buffer the fatal so that as soon as we hear FINISH HIM, you can get to your correct spacing and do the fatal. In MK 9 you had to wait for the FINISH HIM, get to your correct spacing, then input the command, all taking time. Let us get right to it, buffering the command out of what ever we were doing before, and its off to the races and off with his head. Every character should have a quick, I killed you now lets move on fatal that can be buffered right away.

2. We do appreciate the bigger over the top cinematic fatalities. These more so cut scene fatals allow for more story telling within the death, more shocking and gruesome setups, and ultimately a bigger reaction from the audience, either a a shocked gasp, or laughs for comedy. If every character got a quick fatal, they could also have a longer over the top one too... best of both worlds. That way you have your 'sick burn' that you could do to someone to really piss them off and rub their face in it. But if this is the direction the fatals are headed, please balance it by giving us the option to kill and kill quickly to move on tot he next match.

3. The feeling of reward from a fatality, comes from it being hard at first. Growing up with MK and learning fatalities on machines in arcades, I can tell you that THE REWARD IS IN THE DIFFICULTY. Having to pay money to play, then having to win to have an attempt, then needing to input the challenging command quickly, is what made them interesting! There is a build up of intensity that happens at the end of the round because of these elements, then the payoff becomes the shock of the murder if input correctly, and it all happens fast. There needs to be a rhythm to it in order for the full enjoyment to unfold. Allowing too much time at the finish him screen interrupts that flow, and causes a moment of 'I don't care what happens anyone can do this', which is unfortunate because this is the magic and mystique of MK. Now, for the casual kid that picks the game up just to see the fatalities, keep the fatality trainer, so they can kill their friends easily, and see all the amazing animations that are made for the game, but in matches, make us work for it.

If you could buffer the inputs from your last move and you could put yourself in position right away after the match, the flow and the rise to that climax would be more interesting. If the player had the option to do a quick fatal to kill them then get to the next match quickly, players will appreciate it. We don't always need a long scene but we still want to kill people! Sometimes you just gotta go ham and murder people in the worst possible way, we need those sick burn, longer cut scene fatalities, we love them, just not all the time. Last, the window for input has to be quick, or the reward isn't there, something given for free has less value. If you make me earn it I will appreciate it more, and even in this generation of 'the kids just want the quick results' I think you'll find that good old fashioned 'having to work for it' still fosters the same results of appreciating it more. Have more faith in gamers that we want the challenge, and with the speed built back into this part of the match, the rhythm of intensity that causes the incredible feeling and reaction will be back the way it needs to be.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
Fatalities are fine and I always enjoyed them, it got way too silly when we had Brutalities, Babalities, Friendships, Anamalities and what not. I do argue the Brutality was fun to learn and pull off, but I liked how MK9 kept it simple, 2 fatals per character and the hidden Babality.

Part of the greatness of all the -talities was the fact that not everyone could do them. Back then, you could do one or two and other players would just be impressed. They had no idea there were that many levels of depth in the game. However with how fast info passes through the cyber grape vine, everyone who can read a forum knows the inputs. So the charm of the fatality was lost the day we all got crazy connected. But the fact they just became glorified cutscenes also diminishes the fact. I mean you can only hit someone with a cutscene so many times before it gets boring. What would keep it hype, I agree with you. Having a fast, fluid, violent/grotesque/comical 3-7 second animation is good enough. Also keeps the flow of the matches going.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
I want a legitimate way of blending fatalities/babalities/friendships/brutalities/mercy. In mk2 you could glitch it so that a fatality turns into babality into stage finisher. Doing a fatality takes skill, turning a fatality into a babality stage finisher takes loads of skill.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Bring back Brutalities.

Remove spacing requirements. Just let us input the command wherever and have it work.
I like the spacing requirements, myself. It somehow makes it more satisfying to me. Holding LP for an entire round as Shang Tsung in MKII and then just pushing back once next to your opponent to get just at sweep range to do the Kintaro fatality was soooo satisfying.

Personally, I'd like to see Mercys brought back. That's a bigger slap in the face than Babalities, I think. I can see a player like SonicFox doing that shit even in a close fight in tournament. Would be pretty hype.

John Grizzly

Something I'd love to see is a juggle be able to END in a fatality. Like.....for example, the opponent is near death, say with.....25% left. I do an Ermac bread and butter like jump in punch, 3,1, lift, jk, teleport punch, 2,2 and instead of the telekenetic push at the end, I input a different command that performs an instant fatality. Sort of like how the Ultimate combos used to work in KI2.

Or....make it mandatory to complete an entire juggle combo after the FINISH HIM screen pops up. If you do it successfully it ends in a fatality. Lots of possibilities for this. Something new needs to be implemented. I got really sick of the fatalities after about a month. The old fatality methods could also be kept in. I'd just love to see something really difficult introduced that would be a little more rare so it stays fresh.

E

Eldriken

Something I'd love to see is a juggle be able to END in a fatality. Like.....for example, the opponent is near death, say with.....25% left. I do an Ermac bread and butter like jump in punch, 3,1, lift, jk, teleport punch, 2,2 and instead of the telekenetic push at the end, I input a different command that performs an instant fatality. Sort of like how the Ultimate combos used to work in KI2.

Or....make it mandatory to complete an entire juggle combo after the FINISH HIM screen pops up. If you do it successfully it ends in a fatality. Lots of possibilities for this. Something new needs to be implemented. I got really sick of the fatalities after about a month. The old fatality methods could also be kept in. I'd just love to see something really difficult introduced that would be a little more rare so it stays fresh.
I'd like an Ultimate-esque feature in the next Mortal Kombat as well.

Vagrant

Noob
Part of the greatness of all the -talities was the fact that not everyone could do them. Back then, you could do one or two and other players would just be impressed. They had no idea there were that many levels of depth in the game. However with how fast info passes through the cyber grape vine, everyone who can read a forum knows the inputs. So the charm of the fatality was lost the day we all got crazy connected.
Very solid point.

Lou Kang

Noob
fatalities are long enough as it is....i think itd be perfet to have it like mortal kombat one....just a couple second fatality with no cut scene or any change to environment

John Grizzly

fatalities are long enough as it is....i think itd be perfet to have it like mortal kombat one....just a couple second fatality with no cut scene or any change to environment
I love the fade to black effect, though. I want that to stay. I remember being upset at the home versions not going dark enough when I performed a fatality. I miss the days when that was the biggest problem in my life.

E

Eldriken

I don't think super quick fatalities will ever make a 100% return. With the amount of detail and such that can be put into them these days due to the hardware of PCs and consoles, the developers are going to be more inclined to make them as detailed as possible.

One quick and to the point fatality and then a nice, decent length, detailed fatality would be fine for me.

Take Kitana's fatalities in Mortal Kombat 2. Her head slice fatality was fast and then her Kiss of Death fatality was a bit longer and far more gratuitous.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos

In mk vs dc with the blood turned off, after finish him, you could continue hitting the opponent, popping them back up again & again after the dizzy animation.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
i believe brutalities were gonna be in MK9 but werent because of time constraints so they should be in mk10
animailities would be nice too and more unique fatalities, the remakes of classic ones were cool but ones like Sektor's, Kung Lao's and Scorpion's were new and the best ones in the game

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
I want friendships and brutalities. Sending someone into mercy in tournament and then getting a friendship would be so fucking hype oh my god. Can you imagine that? SERIOUSLY.

Big D

Relevant In An Irrelevant Time
Depending on how long they have actually been working on MK10, I would like to see custom fatalities in the tag team mode; even if it is for "exclusive" teams (i.e. Sub-Zero and Scorpion do a special fatality on someone, or Kung Lao and Liu Kang).

Other than that, Brutalities need to make a comeback!

A-Train

Noob
2 fatalities and a babality is plenty, in my opinion. I agree that the time to input the fatality should be shortened a bit to make it more challenging.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
I've liked that idea as well. Quick dimming of the lights and boom-bam, done. I do like the cinematic stuff, too (MKD, MK9)... but I think it'd be cool to go back like MK/MKII. Fast, visceral.

I also would love to see some kind of like ragdoll physics effect with fatalities. Like it'd be cool if Scorpion swung his sword at a wobbling opponent's neck and depending on how the opponent is positioned on contact, the reaction is different. Maybe he falls this way or that way, maybe he nicks him and he bleeds out, maybe he hits him clean and his head comes the fuck off. Something like that.

Don't know how practical or difficult it would be to pull off that kind of system, but I always imagined it.

E

Eldriken

I've liked that idea as well. Quick dimming of the lights and boom-bam, done. I do like the cinematic stuff, too (MKD, MK9)... but I think it'd be cool to go back like MK/MKII. Fast, visceral.

I also would love to see some kind of like ragdoll physics effect with fatalities. Like it'd be cool if Scorpion swung his sword at a wobbling opponent's neck and depending on how the opponent is positioned on contact, the reaction is different. Maybe he falls this way or that way, maybe he nicks him and he bleeds out, maybe he hits him clean and his head comes the fuck off. Something like that.

Don't know how practical or difficult it would be to pull off that kind of system, but I always imagined it.
I would think something like that would be possible with today's technology. It would be awesome to see. I'd rather it not be so static, y'know?

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
I have a feeling the next MK is gonna be dark(new logo) I wouldn't be surprised if friendships don't make the cut. Brutalities and mercy are a must for maximum shit talk....and babies.