What's new

Low to overhead

BuffRaiden

Nerf Erron's F4 Already
So before anyone tells me how reactable this is, let’s just get that out of the way.

Are we really back to these horseshit strings?

This character’s strings are on another level of stupid.

Kollector has a high to overhead. Shang has a mid to overhead that Krushing blows.

He has a low to overhead and the animation looks like a d3... really.

Plus 4 on block meter less launcher? Gap but who gives a shit when he has an option to cover it.

30% bnb for Liu Kang brain dead execution and you don’t even have to be near your opponent.

Patch your fucking game NRS. And hire a QA team that does more than sit on the couch taking about birthday shoutouts.

Injustice 2 died after your last April patch less than a year out.

The Mkx armored launcher patch was too little too late.

If you’re sitting there thinking we need to let the meta evolve, you’re doing it wrong. You created a very shallow game, with almost Zero execution and if this character is Any indication, dlc is going to be unbalanced once again.

When I saw the low to overhead string I wanted to throw up. Just fuck off with this nonsense. I’m not trying to fight injustice 2 cheetah.

BuffRaiden

Nerf Erron's F4 Already
You can laugh if you want. I expected some.

But they promised to deliver a neutral heavy game. They have no idea how to do it over there. It’s painfully obvious at this point.

I have no idea why you guys continue to criticize the game on here man, what outcome do you think you are going to get? Meaningful discussion or people insisting that you are a scrub and should sell your game?

I understand the need to vent but this is obviously not the place for it man.

I suggest you and everyone else who feels the same to not make anymore post about stuff like this man, it’s not gonna go anywhere.

FanTalk

The 5th Yonko
So before anyone tells me how reactable this is, let’s just get that out of the way.

Are we really back to these horseshit strings?

This character’s strings are on another level of stupid.

Kollector has a high to overhead. Shang has a mid to overhead that Krushing blows.

He has a low to overhead and the animation looks like a d3... really.

Plus 4 on block meter less launcher? Gap but who gives a shit when he has an option to cover it.

30% bnb for Liu Kang brain dead execution and you don’t even have to be near your opponent.

Patch your fucking game NRS. And hire a QA team that does more than sit on the couch taking about birthday shoutouts.

Injustice 2 died after your last April patch less than a year out.

The Mkx armored launcher patch was too little too late.

If you’re sitting there thinking we need to let the meta evolve, you’re doing it wrong. You created a very shallow game, with almost Zero execution and if this character is Any indication, dlc is going to be unbalanced once again.

When I saw the low to overhead string I wanted to throw up. Just fuck off with this nonsense. I’m not trying to fight injustice 2 cheetah.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
You can laugh if you want. I expected some.

But they promised to deliver a neutral heavy game. They have no idea how to do it over there. It’s painfully obvious at this point.
OK maybe you should lab the matchup before talking about how brain dead you think shit is.
B3U4(low to overhead) is very reactable and even with B3D4(low to low) its fuzzyable and there is an OS to full combo punish both.

Shang is a neutral heavy character mainly footsie. What he uses to open up opponents is number if hit MUX, staggers and frame traps and all of it is pretty honest. Are you seriously complaining about a 30f overhead its more than 10 extra frames past reactable.

In high level play they don't mix with B3U4 because its easily counterable they use staggers and footsie with zoning. There is built in counters to everything he has. I suggest you go lab up the matchup and refrain from making a nerf Shang thread less than a week before release.

If you are willing to learn how to properly play against shang I can show you.
If you are raiden every one of his projectiles and strings are countered by teleport.
His ground skulls can be flawless blocked on reaction making it -21 from -16 ob for full combo punish by several characters mainly:
Raiden
Geras
Sub
Scorpion
Jacqui
And others.

His plus frames are between +4 and +6 and his fastest mid is B1 at 14f and it don't reach on several if them leaving a punishable 11f high and D4 and his very punishable F2 at 17f.

His B3U4(low overhead) has a huge gap 8f) its full combo punishable by nearly the enter cast on reaction because of the OS that is damn near universal.

BuffRaiden

Nerf Erron's F4 Already
Doubtful. This community kind of sucks. Every time someone lobs a legitimate complaint Poole here including mods try to belittle the user and twist their remarks into making it seem like they don’t know what they’re talking about.

I do. I also have a real job and my days of trying to convince myself that im
Enjoying something I’m not are over.

He has a mid to overhead. Which Krushing blows. A mid to low. A low to overhead. This isn’t mkx. Nobody should have those tools.

There’s nothing in my post that’s not objectively wrong. Your precious NRS games die faster than any other fighting on the market because they don’t know how to support their games. Simple. They cater too much to the “pros,” by not patching. You really think this game has depth? Just look at this character and Geras. We’re playing a shitty meta just so people who have no lives don’t have to re learn a game for CEO and evo.

Most of my posts have been discussing how to make low tier characters work.

If anyone else feels the same as I do, i’d like to discuss. But I don’t care if you don’t like Ike my posts. The truth is, this community can’t handle when someone criticizes a silly video game they devoted their lives to. Pretty sad.

Last edited:

BuffRaiden

Nerf Erron's F4 Already
To Be clear, I’m not getting destroyed in the matchup. It’s just another poorly designed character. And according to the Shang general discussion, im not the only one who thinks this.

LawAbidingCitizen

To Be clear, I’m not getting destroyed in the matchup. It’s just another poorly designed character. And according to the Shang general discussion, im not the only one who thinks this.
I doubt that because everyone I play with has no problem with his slow overhead or the B1D2 which doesn't lead to that much damage because they know the counters and have it pounded into thier muscle memory to punish them. Its fuzzy blockable to start second if you are better than average use the OS that counters both B3D4/B3U4 its not a true 50/50 and anyone who knows the matchup understands he is a footsie character with decent zoning. Staggers, plus frames that don't lead to mids so they can't be enforced (just D4 and 3U2 and on one B3) and number of hit to open up opponents its the definition of a neutral based character.

He has a mid to overhead. Which Krushing blows. A mid to low. A low to overhead. This isn’t mkx. Nobody should have those tools.
  • b1, d2 = block high when you see the b1 as the string has no low ender
  • f2, 4 = 16 frame start up, no reason you can't react to second hit being low.
  • b3, u4 = u4 has a full 30 frame start up, i've had people jab me out of the air.
@LawAbidingCitizen generously tried to help you and you just came back with a large pile of salt. Also no one complains about a match up when they're "not getting destroyed".

Icefyre

Shadows
Jason had a low to overhead launching string. Nobody complained about that, yet here you are whining (again) about something even easier to block. You talk about a "stale" meta but dig your head in the sand when somebody tries to tell you that you may have to learn something.

You don't get to say that something is poorly designed just because you don't like it. You clearly idealize another type of fighting game, go play that and stop whining about this one. You're not doing yourself any favors by taking a high-and-mighty attitude with no signs of changing/learning (because you clearly have it figured out so much better than the rest of us, after all) and making posts that clearly identify you as ignorant.

LawAbidingCitizen

@BuffRaiden
To be clear I am not saying you are a bad player at all because you have trouble blockIng the overhead. It just means you need to lab up responses to the move. If both hits where unreactable I'd agree. But the first is 10f low and second is 30f OH which is beyond reactable. Its early on I don't expect anyone to know the matchup fully but saying its broke is far from OK especially a week in from his release.
There is a universal tech to beat both Low low and low overhead it involves either s1 or D1. Press it twice at the right timing after blocking the low low or when second hit would hit and you will AA him into full combo. (15f gap)

D3 Into 114/B3 into U4 do look similar but you can distinguish them with labbing. There is also an option select for this. D1 D1 at the right time and the first hit will get lost in recovery on the Second option and the D1 will AA. If he does D3 it will counterpoke and you have advantage.

F242 does have a way to condition it F243 but the F242 Has a gap that can be punished by poke or s1 that us 7f or less and its only plus 4 ob. So he won't get much from this besides D4 and depending on opponent B3 which is fuzzyable. He can do s3 but its 11f and you can D2 KB.

112 is plus 6 but only his 17f mid can connect.

B1D2 the overhead KB us easily blocked since it doesn't have a low ended but it can be staggered off B1 alone but there are counters for that as well.

F4 is a advancing high That is plus 5 and his best option is to D1 after because not much will jail since his frames are on the slower side.

Ground Skulls are flawless block punishable with your raiden by using F4 because its -21 ob after FB the second hit.

Nearly every normal and projectile is punished by raidens teleport.

Hope this helps.
Please ask for help before requesting nerfs.

Last edited:

DC King

Noob
I kinda get what the op is talking about. I believe it was stated this would be a neutral base game and probably many people didn’t expect mkx 50/50s but as you can see some of the cast has them along with other things that make an opponent say f this crap sometimes. It’s true that you can react to the overhead but not everyone that plays the game has the reaction speed of a 20 yo and not to mention Shang has the b3d4 string just in case your opponent keeps mashing after b3 while looking for the overhead.

GothamInGray

Hanzo Main
Almost every low-overhead (or anything similar) string in the game is super reactable/punishable if you block the first hit. Shang isn't any different. Just, I don't know, get used to it? You'll start to recognize it when you play, the more you play.

Plus, strings like this are practically nonexistent compared to MKX. Expecting them to be eliminated entirely is just goofy as hell.

BuffRaiden

Nerf Erron's F4 Already
@BuffRaiden
To be clear I am not saying you are a bad player at all because you have trouble blockIng the overhead. It just means you need to lab up responses to the move. If both hits where unreactable I'd agree. But the first is 10f low and second is 30f OH which is beyond reactable. Its early on I don't expect anyone to know the matchup fully but saying its broke is far from OK especially a week in from his release.
There is a universal tech to beat both Low low and low overhead it involves either s1 or D1. Press it twice at the right timing after blocking the low low or when second hit would hit and you will AA him into full combo. (15f gap)

D3 Into 114/B3 into U4 do look similar but you can distinguish them with labbing. There is also an option select for this. D1 D1 at the right time and the first hit will get lost in recovery on the Second option and the D1 will AA. If he does D3 it will counterpoke and you have advantage.

F242 does have a way to condition it F243 but the F242 Has a gap that can be punished by poke or s1 that us 7f or less and its only plus 4 ob. So he won't get much from this besides D4 and depending on opponent B3 which is fuzzyable. He can do s3 but its 11f and you can D2 KB.

112 is plus 6 but only his 17f mid can connect.

B1D2 the overhead KB us easily blocked since it doesn't have a low ended but it can be staggered off B1 alone but there are counters for that as well.

F4 is a advancing high That is plus 5 and his best option is to D1 after because not much will jail since his frames are on the slower side.

Ground Skulls are flawless block punishable with your raiden by using F4 because its -21 ob after FB the second hit.

Nearly every normal and projectile is punished by raidens teleport.

Hope this helps.
Please ask for help before requesting nerfs.
Really appreciate the calm level headed response.

To respond to Jason comparison. This is actually less reachable because b3 low profiles and looks like a poke.

I understand the matchup. I figured out you could dash after poke into hellsparks (skull sparks?) for a punish before Tom Brady posted the tech online. But 16 bit explicitly promised in one of the casts that we would no longer have to deal with strings like Erron Black's MKX f13 (whatever the overhead to low was).

I'm come from a Tekken background where you mostly block high and react to lows, and I was really excited for this neutral heavy meta we were promised. But a mid to over head that Krushing blows... while collector has the a similar setup but starts high and Kabal can no longer get his kurhsing blow off of and mid string with a mix... Cetrion can meter burn hells wrath on block, but raiden can't mb lightning strike on block.

There's such a high degree of arbitrary balancing in this game with no rhyme or reason. A patch seems fair now since we've identified universal disparities among the cast like MB on block and Krushing blow requirements.

Shang is super solid and I think his strings are really dumb. That's just my opinion. If people disagree fine.

But appreciate the dialogue man.