What's new

Lost to a newbie (scrub) when you shouldn't! Is this part of what makes you a better fighter?

Shirakani

BBQ on Scorpion's head
How many times has this happen to you?

Have you lost to a newbie when you shouldn't have? (Lowkey I know I'm not alone on this)

Am I looking way 2 deep into this?
Believe it or not, this is one of the top reasons for 'pros' losing in general.

When you play at a high level, you become accustomed to having a certain level of things/events being thrown at you. Like say... a pro is NOT going to throw raw spears full screen with Scorpion for example. These things quickly become ingrained... and the more you play at ONLY a high level, the more you will forget about what non-pros do.

Then suddenly you get thrown into a situation where you have to play someone who DOESN'T do the things you're accustomed to and BAM, you lose. You lose, and it is totally your fault.

Why is it your fault? Because you made the mistake of 'not looking where you're walking'. Pros tend to always look ahead at stronger competition, and forget about what's behind them or directly in front of them. Basically, you underestimated the guy directly in front of you and he made you pay.

This is why time to time its a good thing to 'come back down' to noob levels and remember how that half plays, so you don't make that mistake. Its a very common, easy mistake to make.

HAMMER

Noob
Are all uppercuts in this game highs??

I liked how in MKX a few of them were mids.

Sub-Zero's that I remember.

I think Shinnok was a mid at one point but nerfed to a high later on.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I feel you, I was playing a Scorpion yesterday and he would D2 at least 4 times then since I'm blocking crouched he went for a grab and got me every time. I should just have back dashed but I was just so pissed off with his D2s lmao. I think we tend to stop thinking logically the more frustrated we get.

xSkeletonSmasherx69

NOBODY CAN TRULY DEFEAT ME
Yesterday I ran the train in a king of the hill match and lost to a Shao Kahn player who didn’t know much other than his specials. So after I lost I was like ok I underestimated him I’ll get him next time. When I finally get the rematch I near flawlessed him in the first round I was like what am I doing. I got him into the corner and then hit him with 10 d4s in a row in the corner. He was probably more frustrated than I was. So I throw him out of the corner to play with him more. Then I lost. That guy was good. He would punish like every jump in and I was surprised really. I shouldn’t have disrespected him.

chrisofrays

Fish can hear you thinkin just before you sneeze
This is something that just happens. When you are used to applying logic and tactics to your game you can get beat by a player who might not have a gameplan and is really unpredictable. Usualy the best counter to this is zoning.

Back in MKX, I had one match where I was playing Mileena and just did a starter string into a roll all the time because he never blocked it. He sent me a message afterwards bitching at me because I only used one move. My response to him was that as soon as I find somebody whom I needed more than one move to beat, I'll pull out a second one.
If something is working against an opponent, the optimal move is to keep doing it as opposed to doing something else. If someone is always crouching and you can just jump in and hit him on the head, then jump in and hit him on the head until he does something different and that doesn't work anymore. If someone isn't blocking your uppercut, keep uppercutting. If someone keeps holding block and lets you throw him, use more throws. When there's a hole in someone's defenses, use the damn hole. Don't ignore the hole because you're "supposed to do other things".

Sazbak

Noob
Your opponent might have been a scrub or maybe he wasn't it doesn't matter in the end.
You have to learn to walk before you can run. You might know advanced concepts in fighting games and he might be an autopilot masher
but still, unless you can exploit his favourite - generally non-optimal - tactics then those tactics are optimal at least against you.
Cover all your bases, learn to deal with everything.

ATIWAB

Noob
Some people are really great at one aspect of the game even if they're not good at others -- for me, I'm not great with precise inputs so I do less-than-optimal combos constantly just to get guaranteed damage vs. dropping the whole thing and I'm horrible at teching throws in time, but my guesses on mix-ups are almost always accurate and I lab my non-optimal BnBs to death. I'm a "scrub" in the context of the pro scene but mopped [a redacted pro player] for several games with Takeda back on MKX in a long set just by having good reads and a 1-bar 35+ BnB that I'd trained a million times.

Any player can beat you if you don't realize what they're doing better than you and adapt to take advantage of their predictability/weaknesses. If they're not pro players, they're doing something wrong -- might just take a few games to figure out what that is and exploit it.

Last edited:

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
Scrub is a mentality not a measure of ability. Scrubs complain, refuse to learn, make excuses, quit, send hate mail, etc.

There is no such thing as losing a game you should’ve won. The only time that happens is in the extremely rare situation that the game is completely busted. In which case that game is casual and not competitive.

A fight is an argument, both players say “I believe this the best thing I can do at this time, and I dare you to prove me wrong.”

In chess moving a rook-pawn is considered a bad move, but it’s nit necessarily a losing move. It can win unless the other player knows how to prove that it is bad. Fighting games work the same way. If your opponent makes a series of bad moves you need to prove that they are losing moves.

Yes this happens to me a lot, a lot of the time it’s zoning. I know how to fix it though, if you say you are losing to a lot of skrubs then going into practice and setting the AI to the certain things ppl are doing. Also I would get mad and always try to rush in. Also don’t give them too much respect, if someone is out zoning you with Skarlet keep that same energy and start the round off by abusing them by zoning disrespect their frames because they probably don’t know how to deal with pressure if they’re scrubs.

KutlessMyth

mental and fundamental
How many times has this happen to you? (Esp this week of MK11) Uppercuts, no juggle combos, no footise, no fundamentals, jumping, etc... There are multiple factors that contribute this type of behavior like lag, luck, lack of character knowledge, etc...

I'm sure we've all played like this when we first touched a fighting game but when we progress and grind we become more advance so when we enter online we expect our opponent to know what their doing.

I'm a tad bit salty and angry, more depressed right now loosing to someone who only uppercut and zoned me. And with my main too. It was 2-0. They went from Jade to Geras to my main Skarlet.

Because you are custom to playing at an advance style with footsie and fundamentals, by coming across an online individual with nothing whatsoever your forced to play "scruby" OR you can zone. So does this aspect of the fighting game grind actually contribute to you becoming a better fighter? Forcing to lower your mindset just for the sake of defeating a newbie?

Have you lost to a newbie when you shouldn't have? (Lowkey I know I'm not alone on this)

So this used to happen to me a lot, especially in injustice 2. I would get really salted and depressed, I know the exact feeling. Me and my friends call it "getting random'ed out" because they don't play by fundamentals, constantly do the riskiest thing you don't expect, and it's a big cause of tilt. I was able to stop getting randomed out when I followed these 3 steps:

1.) Take a breath, notice that you're getting upset. When they start playing like this you get upset and start mashing back most likely, this is not at all the best option at all. You need to take a breath and re-approach the situation with an almost condescending and more of a feeling like you're toying with them since they're acting like a rabid squirrel.

2.) Play the most patient game you've ever played. Against these players you really have to play patiently, start to finish. If you're plus? Do a move that comes out faster than any poke, they're probably pressing. Hit them with the D1? D1 again, they're probably pressing. Avoid highs, dear god with the D2 Krushing blows you lose 20% for doing a high while they're mashing for the love of god stick to overheads, mids, and lows.

3.) Have a character that forces fundamentals. This was something I learned to do just recently. They dont have to be S++ Tier or even A- tier; but along with your main, you should also have a character that strictly forces fundamental play on your opponent i.e.: Fast mids, good zoning, block cancels that make you neutral or plus. Anything of that sort. For MKX I used D'Vorah for her bug cancels, MK9 I used Kabal, even though he was really just overpowered, and in IJ1 and 2 I used bigdaddysupes (because he forces fundamentals so hard ohmygod he's like the perfect fundamental character.)

4.) Notice a specific character randoming you out consistently? Practice punishes. When I say practice punishes, I don't mean the -20 teleport move I mean practice punishing everything that is minus. If it's more than -9 you should have a full combo punish ready. Strings, gaps, blow it all all the way up.

5.) Watch them whiff. It's hilarious, you don't even really have to play hard neutral, they'll just be pressing and hope one hit of a string gets you. If they're not playing super zoning heavy just walk backwards and wait for them to whiff, it's quite the show. (Of course you're supposed to whiff punish, too.)

Hope I was able to help and this wasn't too much to read. Ever since I started following these steps I've noticed I haven't really lost to fundamentally bad or random players anymore, like at all. But I used to hold those L's a lot and get SOOOOO angry and sad very understandable, fam.

Wazurau

FGC Since '97
It’s not uncommon for a person to play worse against someone who’s playing weirdly, I definitely have felt frustrated for losing against someone who I thought was bad. It’s up to me to improve and punish their high risk, predictable moves in the future.
NGL I do this on purpose if i know someone has a certain play style. I'll become full rushdown or start doing stuff that would normally be completely unsafe and not even pressing block lol. It really does get in their head as FanTalk and GLoRToR said, and they start questioning themselves which can honestly give you advantage over them. Just learn yourself, how to do this AND how to recognize when someone is doing this so that you may adapt accordingly. It's not always gonna work in your favour but i mean (insert overused quote that "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take")

haketh

Noob
Playing against players that live in the mud is super important & theirs no such thing as a "Loss you shouldn't have". The sooner you get that thought out of your head the better.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Even if you have some fighting experience in prior fightingames, doesnt make you an experienced fighter.
When you call your opponent a scrub for mashing d2 to interupt your strings, it means u have some labbing to do imo. Try not using strings that start with a high for example.

Regarding the thread title, there's no such thing as "should" or "shouldn't." These are words that we use when reality doesn't line up with what we want to happen, and it allows us to justify a mistake without actually admitting we've made one. If you can't admit you made a mistake, it makes it pretty difficult to learn from it.

EX: "Opponent ate my d1, so they should have blocked knowing they were negative. When I went for a grab afterwards the scrub mashed and I lost the round."

Maybe they should have blocked. Maybe they leveled you and knew you'd go for the pressure at +. We don't have any way to know this, so it doesn't really matter. What matters is that you made an assumption, and were incorrect. That's what needs fixing; you need to read your opponents more accurately.

TL;DR: What "should" happen is irrelevant. What actually happens is what you should focus on. If you can eliminate "should" from your vocabulary when discussing past games, you make it a lot easier to make progress.

BolverkGTM

Dad Beard Connoisseur
Regarding the thread title, there's no such thing as "should" or "shouldn't." These are words that we use when reality doesn't line up with what we want to happen, and it allows us to justify a mistake without actually admitting we've made one.
Well...it kind of does. "I shouldn't have lost to that" is a mistaken statement that every person I've ever taught fighting games has made. I've made this mistake. They get to a certain point in their progression and they lose in a way that doesn't sit well with them and they go "I shouldn't have lost to that." I often ask why they lost then. There's a correct answer and a wrong answer to this question. The correct answer would be "I knew how to beat it, but I didn't do what I was supposed to do." That is a reflection on yourself that makes you think about YOUR mistakes. You are not blaming the opponent, you are blaming yourself for losing to them. The wrong answer would be feeling like your more complicated gameplay is inherently invincible to more simple tactics, which it's not. That path leads to what's described above, trying to justify a mistake without admitting one was made.

this shouldn't happen in this game since ranked is best of 5 and therefore exposes all the one trick ponies. if you lose to a scrub, it means you're the bigger scrub. accep it and move on.

BolverkGTM

Dad Beard Connoisseur
Because you are custom to playing at an advance style with footsie and fundamentals, by coming across an online individual with nothing whatsoever your forced to play "scruby" OR you can zone. So does this aspect of the fighting game grind actually contribute to you becoming a better fighter? Forcing to lower your mindset just for the sake of defeating a newbie?
Yes, it does make you better. Because you are accustomed to fighting players that critically think about the decisions they make and do things that a beginner would not do, you have not trained yourself to deal with someone that isn't thinking that hard. Because you're trying to play at an advanced level, you're not thinking about the most basic methods and counters that would blow them up. That is your fault because you're failing to adapt. If you were a better player, you would adapt to their methods.

Years ago, I used to go through this same cycle. "Agh I shouldn't have lost to that!" I totally deserved to lose to them because I didn't know the basics and leapt right into the advanced.

Yes, you are looking way too into this. That's the problem. Sorry if I come off as a hard ass, but the sooner you kick that "I shouldn't have lost to that scrub" mentality to the curb, the sooner you WILL be kicking their asses like you think you should. Breed a more constructive approach to everything in fighting games and you will improve leaps and bounds quicker.

Ludaaak

Noob
How many times has this happen to you? (Esp this week of MK11) Uppercuts, no juggle combos, no footise, no fundamentals, jumping, etc... There are multiple factors that contribute this type of behavior like lag, luck, lack of character knowledge, etc...

I'm sure we've all played like this when we first touched a fighting game but when we progress and grind we become more advance so when we enter online we expect our opponent to know what their doing.

I'm a tad bit salty and angry, more depressed right now loosing to someone who only uppercut and zoned me. And with my main too. It was 2-0. They went from Jade to Geras to my main Skarlet.

Definitely looking too deep in to this. If you present pattern play expect common sense to dictate with your opponent. They will continue to uppercut if you keep hitting high rather than mid or if you’re too jumpy. If you’re not dash-blocking to get close or using your characters counter-zoning tools expect to get outzoned.

I came up against a suicidal scorpion today that would land a knockdown, jump away to fullscreen and mash spears and kept amp teleporting when I got to midscreen. And it got me for all of a round but I adjusted and started punishing. 14417

This game is win or learn.

Thingy

Retired account
When I first started playing this game online, I was getting beat by those casual players who obviously weren't labbing their character. It didn't help that I haven't played a fighting game in a year, since I dropped Injustice 2 rather quickly and never went back to MKX.

It is totally part of the learning experience. Just gotta stay cool and always ask yourself why you are losing to a certain play style and come up with solutions until something works.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
I lose to noobs when my wifi acts up. Drop everything, can’t react to anything.
Today I’ve lost to a Scorp cause I couldn’t punish his constant teleport and chain spin.