What's new

Lost to a newbie (scrub) when you shouldn't! Is this part of what makes you a better fighter?

FanTalk

The 5th Yonko
How many times has this happen to you? (Esp this week of MK11) Uppercuts, no juggle combos, no footise, no fundamentals, jumping, etc... There are multiple factors that contribute this type of behavior like lag, luck, lack of character knowledge, etc...

I'm sure we've all played like this when we first touched a fighting game but when we progress and grind we become more advance so when we enter online we expect our opponent to know what their doing.

I'm a tad bit salty and angry, more depressed right now loosing to someone who only uppercut and zoned me. And with my main too. It was 2-0. They went from Jade to Geras to my main Skarlet.

Because you are custom to playing at an advance style with footsie and fundamentals, by coming across an online individual with nothing whatsoever your forced to play "scruby" OR you can zone. So does this aspect of the fighting game grind actually contribute to you becoming a better fighter? Forcing to lower your mindset just for the sake of defeating a newbie?

Have you lost to a newbie when you shouldn't have? (Lowkey I know I'm not alone on this)

Am I looking way 2 deep into this?

Gruntypants

THE MUFFINS ARE BEEFY
You lost because you were too predictable, if your opponent was only uppercutting and zoning as you say. Also how do you get out zoned when playing skarlet lol.

Anyways, losing makes you better if you choose to learn from it. Your "scrub" opponent probably just got a smug sense of satisfaction and will continue his ways.

FanTalk

The 5th Yonko
You lost because you were too predictable, if your opponent was only uppercutting and zoning as you say. Also how do you get out zoned when playing skarlet lol.

Anyways, losing makes you better if you choose to learn from it. Your "scrub" opponent probably just got a smug sense of satisfaction and will continue his ways.

He had the life lead when he went to zone me.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
I'm moving this to the Kompetitive forum.

You can lose to anyone and you can never count anyone out until they're beat. But yes, it sounds like they got in your head and you became too predictable.

If they're getting you on uppercuts, you're jumping too much... they're reading that and reacting.

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
Learning to adapt to and beat players that use tactics you believe are "bad" is also part of being a good player. The onus is on you to prove to your opponent that what they're doing is incorrect. At the end of the day, it is the victor that is vindicated.

FanTalk

The 5th Yonko
I'm moving this to the Kompetitive forum.

You can lose to anyone and you can never count anyone out until they're beat. But yes, it sounds like they got in your head and you became too predictable.

If they're getting you on uppercuts, you're jumping too much... they're reading that and reacting.
Wasn't jumping. It was an uppercut after every string I tried to open them

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I have no idea how people already know so many match ups already. I don't even think I have fought against the entire cast yet lol

Anyway yeah I feel like no matter what you are going to come across people who play in a way you aren't familiar with and there is no shame in losing to it since you have to fight it before you can figure out to counter it, right?

FanTalk

The 5th Yonko
You can try staggering the combo/hits then. It sounds like they may have known when your combo ended exactly and uppercutted.

For example: a 112 combo, do 1, pause, then 1 again, then 11, etc.

You could also stagger your combo, then grab them.

I just went to the lab. You can uppercut 212 if your close of course.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
How many times has this happen to you? (Esp this week of MK11) Uppercuts, no juggle combos, no footise, no fundamentals, jumping, etc... There are multiple factors that contribute this type of behavior like lag, luck, lack of character knowledge, etc...

I'm sure we've all played like this when we first touched a fighting game but when we progress and grind we become more advance so when we enter online we expect our opponent to know what their doing.

I'm a tad bit salty and angry, more depressed right now loosing to someone who only uppercut and zoned me. And with my main too. It was 2-0. They went from Jade to Geras to my main Skarlet.

Because you are custom to playing at an advance style with footsie and fundamentals, by coming across an online individual with nothing whatsoever your forced to play "scruby" OR you can zone. So does this aspect of the fighting game grind actually contribute to you becoming a better fighter? Forcing to lower your mindset just for the sake of defeating a newbie?

Have you lost to a newbie when you shouldn't have? (Lowkey I know I'm not alone on this)

If the person you lose to is a scrub, what does that make you?

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not being hostile here. I'm trying to explain that the real obstacle is your mindset. An opponent is an opponent no matter what he's doing to beat you. In fact if I can beat you with doing tickthrows I'll do it and you'll probably tear your hair out.

Bottom line is this:

Do not judge the opponent and do not judge the moves he uses.

Defeat them

FanTalk

The 5th Yonko
We are living in an era where there are no moves without counters anymore.
In MK9, Jade had a literal unwinnable matchup.

Find the counters to what you are being hit with.
Pressure? Find the gap to poke out.
Tick throws? Break it or if it's a broke ass Kollektor Kommandgrab, space him out.
If some fuck is spamming uppercuts, duck and punish.
If he's jumping, uppercut him.
If he's zoning, block and walk in.

Chances are the 'scrub' had better awareness at the time than you did, it can happen.

Do not let your own mind be your enemy.

Holy shit bro. This is legit Fighting game philosophy Thank you for this. I did let my mind explode with anger here. Damn!

FanTalk

The 5th Yonko
It’s not uncommon for a person to play worse against someone who’s playing weirdly, I definitely have felt frustrated for losing against someone who I thought was bad. It’s up to me to improve and punish their high risk, predictable moves in the future.
Yeah I def should've taken a break and or not switch characters. Let me head cool down. Looking back at this match I should've just zone with Raiden or Jade.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Holy shit bro. This is legit Fighting game philosophy Thank you for this. I did let my mind explode with anger here. Damn!
Could have very well been a top player hopped up on some dandelions feeling trolly and running game on you with random bull, but he knew exactly how to do it in a disruptive and annoying way. In MK9 I'd make low level players ragequit with Jade by literally just using her evasive nature and my better movement to make them unable to touch me. My girlfriend laughed so hard she had her drink coming out her nose.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)

Zoning and uppercuts are not a sign of scrubs. Jumping can be used when at advantage and to counter low/mid projectiles.

If you are getting uppercut up close it's because you are not using fundamentals or proper neutral and are using to many highs instead of the proper follow up to pokes and normals.
Zoning is a legitimate strategy and when used right is powerful this includes space control and projectiles on reaction/reads.
Never assume any player is a scrub until you can 18-0 them and they don't adapt and continue making the same mistakes and or are very predictable.

Everyone loses the key to better gameplay is to adapt, lab up what beat you, record your matches and see what they used to beat you. Analyze what got you that loss.

You losing to zoning and uppercuts is not a sign you are better it's a sign you made mistakes in the neutral and you where either predictable or not spacing correctly which is part of fundamentals, neutral.

I have lost to certain players who jump crazy and do random yolo moves like I'm sure everyone has but that's a sign I wasn't adapting to my opponent and didn't lab up the proper response to poke war and jump ins. Anti airs are very strong in MK11, go in the lab and see what are your best moves to stop jik/jip. Also lab up what moves to use after D1, D3 and D4 the frame data will show you how many frames the opponent has to punish/poke you after a poke on hit and see the range of your moves and find what goes into what, what's safe and what is not. Scarlet and Jade are some of the best zoners and space control characters in the roster, lab up how to evade thier projectiles and long range moves, find ways to cause them to wiff and ways to punish after, pushback strings is your friend.
Find players that are better than you and adopt a new playstyle that is free of mistakes. Knowing matchups in the most important thing and is required for high level play, this includes knowing what to do when they jump in, what's safe and what's death on block.

None of this is meant to offend you, it's meant to be constructive and help you grow as a player. Everyone has to work on thier mistakes, every top player makes mistakes.

FanTalk

The 5th Yonko
Zoning and uppercuts are not a sign of scrubs. Jumping can be used when at advantage and to counter low/mid projectiles.

If you are getting uppercut up close it's because you are not using fundamentals or proper neutral and are using to many highs instead of the proper follow up to pokes and normals.
Zoning is a legitimate strategy and when used right is powerful this includes space control and projectiles on reaction/reads.
Never assume any player is a scrub until you can 18-0 them and they don't adapt and continue making the same mistakes and or are very predictable.

Everyone loses the key to better gameplay is to adapt, lab up what beat you, record your matches and see what they used to beat you. Analyze what got you that loss.

You losing to zoning and uppercuts is not a sign you are better it's a sign you made mistakes in the neutral and you where either predictable or not spacing correctly which is part of fundamentals, neutral.

I have lost to certain players who jump crazy and do random yolo moves like I'm sure everyone has but that's a sign I wasn't adapting to my opponent and didn't lab up the proper response to poke war and jump ins. Anti airs are very strong in MK11, go in the lab and see what are your best moves to stop jik/jip. Also lab up what moves to use after D1, D3 and D4 the frame data will show you how many frames the opponent has to punish/poke you after a poke on hit and see the range of your moves and find what goes into what, what's safe and what is not. Scarlet and Jade are some of the best zoners and space control characters in the roster, lab up how to evade thier projectiles and long range moves, find ways to cause them to wiff and ways to punish after, pushback strings is your friend.
Find players that are better than you and adopt a new playstyle that is free of mistakes. Knowing matchups in the most important thing and is required for high level play, this includes knowing what to do when they jump in, what's safe and what's death on block.

None of this is meant to offend you, it's meant to be constructive and help you grow as a player. Everyone has to work on thier mistakes, every top player makes mistakes.
I don't mind the criticism. I criticize my losses but this one lost had me going. I did went for pokes but what your spot on is about the spacing-neutral game. I'm watching my footage now seeing where I went wrong and my opponent did catch on to my B2's.

Just to clarify I've never said nor do I believe I was better than my opponent. I don't follow that mindset and never will.

Thank you for your criticism. I'm going back to the lab soon tonight.

Tbh, I used to be one of those noobs who would uppercut, zone, etc. (I thought I was a god on MKX online). Though as I’ve been playing more, I had to develop better strategies bc my goals were jump-uppercut-corner-combo and some more jumping. It’s tough out there but it’s ok; newbies will have to adjust bc not everyone is too predictable.

Grape Juice City

Shaolin boyz
Wasn't jumping. It was an uppercut after every string I tried to open them
I just went to the lab. You can uppercut 212 if your close of course.
The first 2 in that string is a high, right? Stop using that string for pressure unless they start respecting your frames or when used as a punish.
If you have frame advantage and they're mashing out of it you need to start hit confirming into a mid/low. If you're still getting mashed out then switch to a faster mid if your character has one. And if they continues to mash successfully then you're either not hitting your buttons on the first available frame(s), or you don't have as much frame advantage as you initially thought. Either way, it all comes back to what you are or aren't doing.

LawAbidingCitizen

I don't mind the criticism. I criticize my losses but this one lost had me going. I did went for pokes but what your spot on is about the spacing-neutral game. I'm watching my footage now seeing where I went wrong and my opponent did catch on to my B2's.

Just to clarify I've never said nor do I believe I was better than my opponent. I don't follow that mindset and never will.

Thank you for your criticism. I'm going back to the lab soon tonight.
Who are you using? What's your mains and what character did you lose with? What variations? I've been playing with Sonya, Kotal and Geras all tournament variations. Kotal needs new variations, that God Ray isn't as good as his base version. I'd also like totems with kahn-cut.

FanTalk

The 5th Yonko
Who are you using? What's your mains and what character did you lose with? What variations? I've been playing with Sonya, Kotal and Geras all tournament variations. Kotal needs new variations, that God Ray isn't as good as his base version. I'd also like totems with kahn-cut.
Skarlet (Blooddrive) Raiden (Thunder wave) right now. Skarlet my main and Raiden my backup, I lost the match with Raiden in the final set. I def agree I think some of the roster need a new variation ASAP. I'm also looking to pickup a new character. Frost or Centrion are the ones I'm looking at right now.

LawAbidingCitizen

Skarlet (Blooddrive) Raiden (Thunder wave) right now. Skarlet my main and Raiden my backup, I lost the match with Raiden in the final set. I def agree I think some of the roster need a new variation ASAP. I'm also looking to pickup a new character. Frost or Centrion are the ones I'm looking at right now.
Frost has almost no comboability but is good at mid range.
Cetrion is very slow startup on projectiles so not the best right now.

Since you allready have Scarlet and Raiden, you should pick up a Rushdown/Brawler I recommend trying Geras, Sonya and Kotal they are good in thier own ways.

Geras has corner carry from anywhere.

Sonya has mix-up and decent combos (I don't like the short combos in this game).

Kotal has very far reaching normals with tons of pushback causing hitstun and the opponent needs to know how long to hold block and when to press on thier turn. He is great once you mastered it.

FanTalk

The 5th Yonko
Frost has almost no comboability but is good at mid range.
Cetrion is very slow startup on projectiles so not the best right now.

Since you allready have Scarlet and Raiden, you should pick up a Rushdown/Brawler I recommend trying Geras, Sonya and Kotal they are good in thier own ways.

Geras has corner carry from anywhere.

Sonya has mix-up and decent combos (I don't like the short combos in this game).

Kotal has very far reaching normals with tons of pushback causing hitstun and the opponent needs to know how long to hold block and when to press on thier turn. He is great once you mastered it.

Which variation should I work on with Kotal Khan and Geras? I'll start looking into them now

LawAbidingCitizen

Which variation should I work on with Kotal Khan and Geras? I'll start looking into them now
Kotal needs kahn-cut so pick the tournament one with it in it. I prefer a custom loadouts without God Ray but it's in the one that has Kahn-cut (his meterless launcher).

Geras is basically good with all. Bit it's up to personal preference. He has good combos that corner carry. That sand clone can be metered to pop them up F3 into it. Also his BF2 AMP allows two uppercuts in combo into F1/F3 BF4

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
It's day 3, it's normal to lose to stuff like that. You are not even used to your character yet so it's harder to adapt with it, it's normal to be beaten by 1-trick ponies at times.