What's new

Lord Raiden General Discussion Thread

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
So has anyone ever caught anyone literally up in the air like above Raiden's head in the SC? It's too bad this move wasn't a tad bit faster or it could work as a good instant AA.

Black Chapters

Legend of Legaia Main
So has anyone ever caught anyone literally up in the air like above Raiden's head in the SC? It's too bad this move wasn't a tad bit faster or it could work as a good instant AA.
Caught in the air, just not right above him. Also caught someone in the air with F4 into SC

MKF30

Caught in the air, just not right above him. Also caught someone in the air with F4 into SC
Yeah it's funny when it happens because it's rare, this one time I got the guy right above my head as he jumped so I had to literally dash back fast and do a NJK into Superman, it was the end of a round so I just needed one more hit anyway.

thecrux

Y MELO
NRS should buff storm cell the way they buffed Kitana’s fan lift and Kung Lao’s vortex. This is so that opponents cannot breakaway out of it before the move ends. When doing b31 into storm cell, If the opponent breaks away Raiden can get full combo punished which seems pretty crappy. When doing B12 into storm cell opponents can break away before the third hit of the storm cell. Just something to consider.

another simple change I wish for Raiden is to make his flawless block u2 a mid so that he can flawless block punish low pokes like almost every other character in the game. You can get crushing blowed d2 for trying to flawless block u2 a poke. Ridiculous . His flawless block u3 is not even fast enough to punish most pokes as well. Very sad as it limits his potential at very high level play.

NRS should buff storm cell the way they buffed Kitana’s fan lift and Kung Lao’s vortex. This is so that opponents cannot breakaway out of it before the move ends. When doing b31 into storm cell, If the opponent breaks away Raiden can get full combo punished which seems pretty crappy. When doing B12 into storm cell opponents can break away before the third hit of the storm cell. Just something to consider.

another simple change I wish for Raiden is to make his flawless block u2 a mid so that he can flawless block punish low pokes like almost every other character in the game. You can get crushing blowed d2 for trying to flawless block u2 a poke. Ridiculous . His flawless block u3 is not even fast enough to punish most pokes as well. Very sad as it limits his potential at very high level play.
100 PERCENT THIS!!!!! WHY THIS WASNT A UNIVERSAL CHANGES IS BEYOND ME!!!!

How i would love to see his AMP TP being used as combo extender like in mkx. It was just the instant recovery version of the normal TP and it made sense. Wth am i supposed to archieve with that AMP TP doing that double back and forth move? Unless i'm wrong, it's complete garbage ?!

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
How i would love to see his AMP TP being used as combo extender like in mkx. It was just the instant recovery version of the normal TP and it made sense. Wth am i supposed to archieve with that AMP TP doing that double back and forth move? Unless i'm wrong, it's complete garbage ?!
Try punishing the AMP TP

The trouble with amp tp is that in theory it can create a seemingly big brain whiff scenario, but in practice it requires having a very conditioned opponent because otherwise all it takes is for said opponent to press a button when you didn't want them to, or they react to the teleport late and hit you that way.

As much as I would just love to play Raiden based all on cheeky teleports, it's too inconsistent to really enforce at all.

The trouble with amp tp is that in theory it can create a seemingly big brain whiff scenario, but in practice it requires having a very conditioned opponent because otherwise all it takes is for said opponent to press a button when you didn't want them to, or they react to the teleport late and hit you that way.

As much as I would just love to play Raiden based all on cheeky teleports, it's too inconsistent to really enforce at all.
Exactly my point. They were over-thinking waaaay too much creating that move while the mkx version was perfectly fine. Also silently wished the first hit of B2 was special cancelable like in mkx aswel. would become a liiiiiiittle bit more viable of a move atleast. Wonder if any1 agrees

MKF30

At this point, the world would have recovered from Coronavirus, vaccines will be made, people will be ok before Raiden gets any buffs...

Am I crazy or do Raiden's jump punches on neutral jump do not hit people duck blocking?
Raiden lacks in a lot of things, you're not crazy lol

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes

I just think it's nice to have on top of all his options. Getting in or staying safe is nice by itself even without intellectual whiff punishes. There's also swaggy "reversing their wakeup inputs" on oki but then that's galaxy brain.

But really, I think it can be useful. Not extremely useful, but useful. B12 and B12~Teleport Amp are completely different punishes, for example. Punishing the amp teleport is pretty tight too, it's around -9 when you take account for the time it takes to turn around. I know you said that people accidentally hit you sometimes but honestly, it's kinda tough to punish even in practice mode. A very specific timing to it and no frame buffer. And in my opinion, that it relies on offensive meter instead of defensive like the other teleports is a nice perk with how good those teleports are and how important breakaway is in this game.

Last edited:
It used to be during pre release :(
Let me guess, people complained about it being too strong way too early on and it got nerfed? The changes they make in this game's meta sometimes completely fails to make sense to me. More often then back in mkx i feel like. But that's imo and despite of some small rants here and there i have just as much fun playing as i did with mkx. And even that while disliking more of the roster over the one from mkx :D Just give us PC loyalists that recent patch already lol

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Let me guess, people complained about it being too strong way too early on and it got nerfed? The changes they make in this game's meta sometimes completely fails to make sense to me. More often then back in mkx i feel like. But that's imo and despite of some small rants here and there i have just as much fun playing as i did with mkx. And even that while disliking more of the roster over the one from mkx :D Just give us PC loyalists that recent patch already lol
While I'm unsure about B2, I can say with certainty that lightning strike is only the way it is now because of the outrage from Youtube comments saying that Rewind was spamming too much in the pre-release build in his exhibition against SF.

MKF30

Lol pfftt they waited til rewind?l to do it? I've been spamming that move since day one lol from a far ot do it often unkind of hate that word "spam". It's amazing how much tournament players tactics not so different from.our own has on nrs when the viewers gripe about it instead of reading our comments. I mean I'm pretty sure this is the only site for competitive discussion, but tym can't compete with the likes of Twitter, reddit etc

I dunno why it happened, but all I can do is show you evidence of it once existing:

Lol pfftt they waited til rewind?l to do it? I've been spamming that move since day one lol
Yeah but Rewind was spamming it day -90 or something.

Last edited: