What's new

Lord Raiden General Discussion Thread

SLy

Noob
What are the best strings to do superman cancels off? Some strings seem to put Raiden a bit too close for comfort, to the point where others can probably d4 punish afterwards??
B3 1 is the best to cancel with. It gives enough pushback on block for sure.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Yeah, I would say his B3, 1 is a good string to cancel into DB2. I personally like mixing this up with 50/50 jump ins sometimes with 2, 2, 4 3 ~Superman and 2, 2, 4 ~DB2 with his B3, 1~DB2. You can confuse the hell out of people mixing up these strings I've noticed. He has another one that's 2 hits that also has some pushback.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
B12 would probably benefit more from far teleport cancels then. Otherwise F11, F4, B31 are better with superman cancels for pressure I feel

Mandolore1123

121 seems to have this weird pushback that causes d1s to whiff and Raiden can counter hit with B12. Saw it online and I’ve tried it out a bit too.
Never mind. I’m stupid and they can d3. It’s useful to catch people trying to poke afterwards though

Has anyone else noticed that Raiden's gibberish yells are back but they are on Raijin now? db3, not sure if it's when you initially cancel it, or when you expend the reversal; either way I was playing on the weekend and noticed it, going to need to experiment more to get it to come out.

Also, short hop kick has a ludicrous hitbox, highly recommend.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Let's talk corner pressure with Raiden, since I haven't seen much of it in any thread here. I find that it's actually pretty good. Granted, I don't play any top players or anything, just a casual player here playing other casuals online.

Once I have them in the corner, what I usually do is mix-up F32, B14, B31(2+4), 243, D3~DB2, D1~DB2, F3 (stagger)~throw. B14 especially works really well, though yesterday i encountered a couple of players that have learned how to block it. When I saw that, i started staggering the B1 into a throw or 243, or F23. Another thing that works well is neutral jump deep kick. That can even be canceled into DB2.

It seems to me Raiden's tools lend themselves to a fairly decent corner pressure game. On the other hand, if i get cornered, i like doing his U3 get-up move. That's really effective against a lot of players. I've won quite a few rounds that way too. Another thing I do to escape the corner is Air Electric Fly. Teleport is too predictable at that point and if they are in your face they can easily interrupt it.

What are some other good corner pressure tactics?

Mandolore1123

Let's talk corner pressure with Raiden, since I haven't seen much of it in any thread here. I find that it's actually pretty good. Granted, I don't play any top players or anything, just a casual player here playing other casuals online.

Once I have them in the corner, what I usually do is mix-up F32, B14, B31(2+4), 243, D3~DB2, D1~DB2, F3 (stagger)~throw. B14 especially works really well, though yesterday i encountered a couple of players that have learned how to block it. When I saw that, i started staggering the B1 into a throw or 243, or F23. Another thing that works well is neutral jump deep kick. That can even be canceled into DB2.

It seems to me Raiden's tools lend themselves to a fairly decent corner pressure game. On the other hand, if i get cornered, i like doing his U3 get-up move. That's really effective against a lot of players. I've won quite a few rounds that way too. Another thing I do to escape the corner is Air Electric Fly. Teleport is too predictable at that point and if they are in your face they can easily interrupt it.

I’ve learned that backing up and doing F4 catches lots of people trying to push buttons. D4 is good too since it frametraps into F4 again.

But... what about b2?

AbeW

Noob
Man, Raiden's RAIJIN variation is complete ass without sparkport. This variation can possibly be salvaged if atleast one slot can be replaced with sparkport. Makes him more of a in your face character with sparkport and quick charge punishes maybe...It is still fked up but without sparkport, Raiden is so fked.
slot 1: Electric Burst
slot 2: Quick Charge
slot 3: sparkport
Would you thunderlords agree?

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Man, Raiden's RAIJIN variation is complete ass without sparkport. This variation can possibly be salvaged if atleast one slot can be replaced with sparkport. Makes him more of a in your face character with sparkport and quick charge punishes maybe...It is still fked up but without sparkport, Raiden is so fked.
slot 1: Electric Burst
slot 2: Quick Charge
slot 3: sparkport
Would you thunderlords agree?
I've actually been playing Raijin a lot more and am starting to see this variation as a powerful zoning/anti zoning variation. Having Discharge up as you walk your opponent to the corner is very strong since Raiden can get 40% without a KB.

I also have found that using Superman to fly past the opponent is really good because of it's fast recovery. Obviously characters like Scorpion won't care about that due to their teleport but even they have to probably time the punish as he lands.

Mandolore1123

I've actually been playing Raijin a lot more and am starting to see this variation as a powerful zoning/anti zoning variation. Having Discharge up as you walk your opponent to the corner is very strong since Raiden can get 40% without a KB.

I also have found that using Superman to fly past the opponent is really good because of it's fast recovery. Obviously characters like Scorpion won't care about that due to their teleport but even they have to probably time the punish as he lands.
How long does discharge last? Is there a time limit to how long the buff is active? If not then discharge would be a constant threat since I remember you said you can set it up immediately after you perform the 4f reversal?

i think its a myth that raijin has zoning capabilities. you can throw out some projectiles when its safe, but as soon as one gets blocked, its the opponents turn, and if that opponent's name is sonya, baraka, liu kang, johnny cage, skarlet or similar, its his turn forever. you can just dashblock your way in. and how does raijin get 40%? with the discharge cancel corner combos? these are super situational, ive just played like 25 matches and only once even got the opportunity to use one of those.

@mandolore i think its around 12-15 seconds. it goes away on krushing blow though, which should be patched imo.

DarksydeDash

How long does discharge last? Is there a time limit to how long the buff is active? If not then discharge would be a constant threat since I remember you said you can set it up immediately after you perform the 4f reversal?
It honestly lasts a good while and it has quick startup if you see it run out.

DarksydeDash

i think its a myth that raijin has zoning capabilities. you can throw out some projectiles when its safe, but as soon as one gets blocked, its the opponents turn, and if that opponent's name is sonya, baraka, liu kang, johnny cage, skarlet or similar, its his turn forever. you can just dashblock your way in. and how does raijin get 40%? with the discharge cancel corner combos? these are super situational, ive just played like 25 matches and only once even got the opportunity to use one of those.

@mandolore i think its around 12-15 seconds. it goes away on krushing blow though, which should be patched imo.
Yeah the B31 into discharge for the resonated combo is very good. I have a little gimmick where I sacrifice damage and end with B2 to make them afraid of blocking high due to the KB.

f24

Don't F*** with a God
I just don't use it (yet), though I should. I see from watching videos of Raiden players that it is kind of safe on block, because of the pushback, and like other people here said, it sets up a mind game after it connects once.
It depends on the range for how safe it is and some characters can punish it more than others.

I use it pretty often, but I wish it had just the tiniest bit more range. It's a powerful mindgame tool with the KB threat if u end in a B2 set up.

f24

Don't F*** with a God
I think MK11 Raiden seems pretty underrated and people are sleeping out about him ..... he seems pretty interesting and good to play with ! :)
Yeah, the people saying he's C tier don't know what they're talking about. He's not amazing, but he's really really solid. I would place him top 15 maybe