What's new

Looking to seriously pick up Quan Chi.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Only F1 as an anti-air to avoid drops and lone B1 pokes...noted and memorized. Many thanks, Brother Mayo & Dink.

I love the direction this thread is going.

Hopefully my addiction to WOOLAY can help other aspiring sorcerers to improve their odds.

You guys rule.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Watch footage of Shujinkydink or Hidan and you will see Quan's true potential. You will make an excellent Quan, Boxy :)
That's what drives me CRAZY...between all I've learned over the months, NEC, Winter Brawl, watching the streams, I really feel like I'm THIS FUCKING CLOSE to going from pretty good to respectably great...I just need the right character to open the door, and for all the "well, I was wrong" moments I've had with other characters, after seeing the two of them go, I feel like I can put my faith in Quan, MKDA Broadswords or not.

Here's another one...whiffing Stomps at the end of combos ala Mileena's TK to get inside: good idea or bad idea?

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I would rather sky drop at the end of combos into block pressure/rune trap because that will leave you in complete control for the time being. Unless somebody found a better use for whiffed sky drops after a knockdown, I personally think you should go with what I recommended :)
And the day you come to VSM, I'll make sure to help you out with Quan if you're still interested in taking him seriously. I will serve you in the Netherrealm! hahaha
You, my friend, have a deal. End of April. Fingers crossed. I can't rightfully challenge Junior without making it to LI.

And that definitely seems like a safer bet.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
I would rather sky drop at the end of combos into block pressure/rune trap because that will leave you in complete control for the time being. Unless somebody found a better use for whiffed sky drops after a knockdown, I personally think you should go with what I recommended :)
And the day you come to VSM, I'll make sure to help you out with Quan if you're still interested in taking him seriously. I will serve you in the Netherrealm! hahaha
Actually.. i have somethign I`ve never released. It`s tech that was discovered by Solitude, and I only shared it with Dink... maybe i should let it out? It`s a skydrop whiffing technique after a hard knockdown called QuanFusion

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
does that go for me as well? lol. I would love to learn just the basic mixups and stuff and maybe i can go from there on my own. I'll be there tomorrow!

Error

DF2+R2
Actually.. i have somethign I`ve never released. It`s tech that was discovered by Solitude, and I only shared it with Dink... maybe i should let it out? It`s a skydrop whiffing technique after a hard knockdown called QuanFusion
Well, you can't tease like that and not share it. That would be... wrong.

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
I'm always down to help people! Hit me up whenever you're ready to get started and I'll be more than happy to give you a hand :) It'll be awesome seeing you progress as the weeks go by. Always nice to see more players at VSM! Especially from out-of-state!
Don't know if you realize this but I played with you two weeks ago at VSM. I'm trying to come a couple times a month. I was on your team using Raiden against Rapzilla and David.

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
Yeah I remember you, I meant that it's always nice to see a larger amount of people there :) Your Raiden was very nice and congrats with getting the bnb combo down! :D
Thanks man. I tried it today and i'm dropping it like crazy again. I don't know wtf is going on! It's enough to make me want to quit this damn character!!! :mad:

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Mayo, you are a tease and a half, man. :D.
I'm never one to apply pressure for divulging secrets, but if anyone could blow up new Quan tech, that who would be you, especially if it means I'll finally have more use for whiffing Woolays.

Dink...I was watching you VS Clint...waiting to reset Trances w/B3 = I feel dumb for not thinking of it before -_-. Another trick for the trade...that and 11 B11 Trance in the corner to give him some extra corner volatility...sweet.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Mayo, you are a tease and a half, man. :D.
I'm never one to apply pressure for divulging secrets, but if anyone could blow up new Quan tech, that who would be you, especially if it means I'll finally have more use for whiffing Woolays.

Dink...I was watching you VS Clint...waiting to reset Trances w/B3 = I feel dumb for not thinking of it before -_-. Another trick for the trade...that and 11 B11 Trance in the corner to give him some extra corner volatility...sweet.
It`s not really anything game changing. It`s a weird little glitch that allows quan to move through the opponent when they`re on the ground. I may post it. I don`t know. Right now I`m focusing on my big new kenshi math video.

And about dink`s double trance into B3, yeah. That`s so simple but it works. Quan really is about gimmicks.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
It`s not really anything game changing. It`s a weird little glitch that allows quan to move through the opponent when they`re on the ground. I may post it. I don`t know. Right now I`m focusing on my big new kenshi math video.

And about dink`s double trance into B3, yeah. That`s so simple but it works. Quan really is about gimmicks.
Which is why I <3 him. Boxy = big fan of brutal gimmicks :D.
I mean, between the B3 Trick and the Rune Trap, you have near-Scorpion-level 50-50 vortexery going on too nasty to ignore.

Also...more Kenshi wisdom is never a bad thing. He's my #5, but he's strictly for fun.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
I like how nice Quan players are to each other :)

Also, it is worth noting that Quan Chi has the best voice in MK and so does Under The Mayo!

Coincidence? I do not think so, it probably involves portals, math, and necromancy.
Yeah, the Woolay family is really close. I like that myself :)

Mayo's voice just needs to be a little deeper to pull off Quan!
I was so hyped when Dink pulled that off against Jr, it was some stupid "tech" that I shared with Dink a while back and he greatly improved upon it. Gimmicks and Quan go hand in hand but man, when they work they're great lol. I giggle to myself every time I catch someone with Quan's armored xray as an AA, totally situational of course, I've won quite a few rounds with it though when used properly. It's such a demoralizing awesome animation. I wish it was his fatal tbh, I'd use it constantly because I love it.

you have near-Scorpion-level 50-50 vortexery going on too nasty to ignore.
Oh yes, there are certainly similarities between Quan and Scorp. I've been neglecting Scorp but Quan's just too much fun lol

Spletty

Grandmaster
my quan isnt great but ill add you on psn if you wanna see some things i do, i got most of it from watching dink videos

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
We really a very friendly community. For such a bastard of a character personality wise, the players are all so nice. Except for iniquity. That guy`s 100% prick.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Except for iniquity. That guy`s 100% prick.
Dammmmmnnn! :( I am a little outspoken at times, I could see how I'd get that image. I'm slowly getting better at censoring myself though! I'd say it's like 70/30 but I guess it depends on the way someone perceives me as to where those percentages are based. I guess Quan's personality fits me! lol

Spletty

Grandmaster
the one thing id stress about playing quan is mix it up between high and low combo starters. the only reason ive seen that hes so far down the tier list is that hes predictable. you can get an easy 30% off b3, 1+2 trance starter so theres no reason to stick with only the high strings.

i know most people will say not to do it but when i do the rune trap i always use 212 after the initial 112 rune (i spend a lot of time doing what most say not to). then immediately following the last rune i dash, b3, 1+2 trance, b1 2, dash d2 for 30%. most people ive played anticipate another high starter following the last of the rune trap. and of course spam the hell out of the skulls lol.

my roomate always complains saying quan has to be the best in the game because he cant handle the constant pressure and rune traps lol. i by no means think hes the best but still damn good

Flagg

Noob
This is making me want to knuckle down and really give the ol' Necromancer some much needed attention again.

He does have a nice 43% meterless combo that he can do mid screen:

Jp, B21, dash, B21, Dash, B11, Trance, jump back, jp, B11, medium rune. Yeah it means foregoing a bit of meter building (or saving meter for the Mayo trap in the next round!), but the damage is pretty nice. This combo is a bit tricky to do, but practice, practice, practice!

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
the one thing id stress about playing quan is mix it up between high and low combo starters. the only reason ive seen that hes so far down the tier list is that hes predictable. you can get an easy 30% off b3, 1+2 trance starter so theres no reason to stick with only the high strings.

i know most people will say not to do it but when i do the rune trap i always use 212 after the initial 112 rune (i spend a lot of time doing what most say not to). then immediately following the last rune i dash, b3, 1+2 trance, b1 2, dash d2 for 30%. most people ive played anticipate another high starter following the last of the rune trap. and of course spam the hell out of the skulls lol.

my roomate always complains saying quan has to be the best in the game because he cant handle the constant pressure and rune traps lol. i by no means think hes the best but still damn good
Why are you using 1 1 2 Rune? The distance doesn`t give you enough time for an inescapable follow up. You doing 2 1 2 Rune after 1 1 2 Rune I BELIEVE is easily escaped by them poking you with a down1. Though I guess it could be randomly used. And "mixing up" with low starters isn`t really that much of an option these days against any player that knows what they`re doing. F1 2 trance is virtually unusable now. And his u3 overhead can be blocked correctly on reaction. It`s important not to overvalue quan`s low/overhead mixup game. It`s pretty bad. Your real mix ups are gonna come from using universal tactics. Poke strings that are sometimes committed to. Down 3 pressure into throws or B3. And creative reset setups during your trance combos.

Also, the reason he`s low on the tier list has nothing to do with him being "predictable". It has to do with him have no wakeup game, shitty defense, being incredibly slow, having a shitty ass down1, etc

You say people "expect" a high starter after a rune trap? That can`t be true. Everyone knows to block B3 1plus2 when Quan is close. The reason behind the high starter is that 1 1 can be used as a poke for pressure and building meter, or committed to if they try to poke out. If you do B3 1plus2 and it`s blocked. Your offensive is at risk of being completely stopped.

Spletty

Grandmaster
Why are you using 1 1 2 Rune? The distance doesn`t give you enough time for an inescapable follow up. You doing 2 1 2 Rune after 1 1 2 Rune I BELIEVE is easily escaped by them poking you with a down1. Though I guess it could be randomly used. And "mixing up" with low starters isn`t really that much of an option these days against any player that knows what they`re doing. F1 2 trance is virtually unusable now. And his u3 overhead can be blocked correctly on reaction. It`s important not to overvalue quan`s low/overhead mixup game. It`s pretty bad. Your real mix ups are gonna come from using universal tactics. Poke strings that are sometimes committed to. Down 3 pressure into throws or B3. And creative reset setups during your trance combos.

Also, the reason he`s low on the tier list has nothing to do with him being "predictable". It has to do with him have no wakeup game, shitty defense, being incredibly slow, having a shitty ass down1, etc

You say people "expect" a high starter after a rune trap? That can`t be true. Everyone knows to block B3 1plus2 when Quan is close. The reason behind the high starter is that 1 1 can be used as a poke for pressure and building meter, or committed to if they try to poke out. If you do B3 1plus2 and it`s blocked. Your offensive is at risk of being completely stopped.
i dont use 112 if im going straight for the rune trap. in all actuality i dont hunt for the trap like most do. 112 is my combo starter and if its blocked i start the rune trap, switching to 212. and your right about most of that, which is why i said i spend a lot of time doing what most say not to lol. most people ive played online and everyone i play locally either stay crouch blocked before the b3 1+2 so the overhead hits or they stand block and the b3 hits leading to the full combo. ill admit my level of competition isnt nearly what some of these guys are since online and locals are all i have, which is why my first post was about my lackluster quan. and yeah i completely forgot about his awful wakeup game lol...

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
i dont use 112 if im going straight for the rune trap. in all actuality i dont hunt for the trap like most do. 112 is my combo starter and if its blocked i start the rune trap, switching to 212. and your right about most of that, which is why i said i spend a lot of time doing what most say not to lol. most people ive played online and everyone i play locally either stay crouch blocked before the b3 1+2 so the overhead hits or they stand block and the b3 hits leading to the full combo. ill admit my level of competition isnt nearly what some of these guys are since online and locals are all i have, which is why my first post was about my lackluster quan. and yeah i completely forgot about his awful wakeup game lol...
Yeah, this isn`t about saying "youre doing the wrong thing". Its that youre getting away with a lot of stuff that you wont get away with again high level players, and you need to be careful about developing bad habits. thats all. Hope you stick with him.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
quanFusion i love it haha, please do share though :)