What's new

General/Other - Liu Kang liu kangs new patch notes

It straight up says that Shaolin flame cane be cancelled out of so I don't understand how it would be a bug. The ex version is nowhere in the patch notes and seems unchanged. I dont even know wtf it does anyways other than give me a sexy flash so that i may stunt on this hoes

It straight up says that Shaolin flame cane be cancelled out of so I don't understand how it would be a bug. The ex version is nowhere in the patch notes and seems unchanged. I dont even know wtf it does anyways other than give me a sexy flash so that i may stunt on this hoes
Shaolin Flame give extra fire damage which is a damage buff for him.

Wrubez

The Flow Instructor
I still give the slight edge (really is very slight now) to DF simply because the fbc can be relentless pressure when executed properly....but man... This DEF changes the game for flame fist. Not only is he a viable character but Liu Kang mains like myself now have options for match ups.

I think that's the most important point here. DF is great but some MU's just play very well against it. FF can counter the MU's that are difficult for DF by trading incredible rushdown pressure for high (and super fast) damage output and defense (being able to cancel FF's two best tools into parry is gigantic).

So to have that extra option against an equal pressure inducing opponent (kung Lao, scorpion, etc) is really great to have.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
So can anyone tell me what the three added active frames means for Liu Kang's uppercut? I haven't had the chance to test the application out in the lab but I'm interested in knowing how his uppercut now stacks up against the rest of the cast versus before.

Thanks!

Wrubez

The Flow Instructor
So can anyone tell me what the three added active frames means for Liu Kang's uppercut? I haven't had the chance to test the application out in the lab but I'm interested in knowing how his uppercut now stacks up against the rest of the cast versus before.

Thanks!
The uppercut is super quick now from what I've noticed. Much more improved for AA and it also received a slight hitbox increase I believe. At the start of the match if you uppercut you'll hit him from that distance now (pretty sure it would have wiffed pre patch but could be wrong.

Also great for finishing corner carry combos. Adds that extra little bit of damage at the very last second.

I've been trying to decide on a secondary character to play, and I want a total rushdown in-your-face doesn't-let-up pressure machine. Flame Fist is looking really tempting now...I could never get into Dragon's Fire because I just don't like the Fireball Cancel mechanic (partially couldn't do it, but when I did, it just didn't feel satisfying, just felt like some weird gimmick).

So a few things I want to ask since I am stuck on steam. . .

1. Has anyone done frame data checks on FF cancels on different strings and WP?
2. How much improved is his D2? I already thought it was really good, can it contest J3,J4 from the stronger air characters?
3. Does FF feel much stronger than DF right now? From what I understand, most of this community felt LK was sub par. If the new FF is not head and shoulders above DF then did we really gain anything?
4. Low profile fireball work against high attacks as well? not just projectiles?

2. How much improved is his D2? I already thought it was really good, can it contest J3,J4 from the stronger air characters?
3. Does FF feel much stronger than DF right now? From what I understand, most of this community felt LK was sub par. If the new FF is not head and shoulders above DF then did we really gain anything?
4. Low profile fireball work against high attacks as well? not just projectiles?

1. I noticed that F44 FBC puts me at an advantage but it doesn't jail vs most characters like f213 so it can be armored through.
  2. I noticed that Scorpion is still eating me alive when I d2 although i consistently can D2 Kotal if close enough.
  3. Only time will tell which is better. Right now I feel DF has a slight edge.
  4. I havent been able to test this.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ

I haven't checked his true frame data out yet, but I have some insight after playing ranbats last night. Labbed FF for about an hour before that and I play both DF and Dualist.

You can't just throw out wp without a plan since it can be punished on block, so always try to cancel it into something or mb dragon roar to be safe. Characters can poke you out. After hit though you can pretty much do whatever you want, preferably shaolin flame into anything. It's like Dualist stance cancel but better.

His D2 is awesome, and got me out of some sticky situations. The range on his uppercut is massive too, so it will aa jumpins. It basically hits the opponent on round start.

I had an easier time applying pressure execution wise which really helped. I did a lot better with my 1 hr Liu than my 1 month DF Liu. FF is more solid in feeling. Higher tier wise than df. But if anything, FF was terrible before this patch so Lius have definitely gained this go around.

For low fireball, I was able to clear it under Jaxs projectile. It seems like it is low profile enough to make highs whiff but needs more testing.

EDIT: In all seriousness though, fighting a FF with great rush down chip pressure is a mind game in of itself because there were times where I was getting nearly 70%+ damage in chip alone lol.

Last edited:

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
Potential issue for certain characters; EN Windmill Punch connects fully on these characters on crouch block and makes the entire string of EN Windmill Punch xx Dragon's Roar airtight:

Kitana
Mileena
Ferra/Torr

After that, it seems pretty split between the cast; for some, crouch blocking f213 xx EN Windmill xx Dragon's Roar is interruptible by a single gap near the end of the string. With timing, it should be easy to get down. For the other half, they can either interrupt it while standing or on crouching with a generous window.

This sucks for Kitty, Mileena and FT, since you can basically do one of these combos that ends standing (Ex. F44 xx windmill punches xx SF, 112 xx Windmill Punches xx Fireball, or even the slightly less damaging f44 xx SF, 112 xx Windmill Punches xx Fireball) and then continue with a very quick blockstring into the EN Windmill Punch xx Dragon's Roar. These three can't interrupt, with their only shot being right after the fireball. If you can condition them to block, the combo then the followup string should take away at least 45% if not 50. It also, since every hit connects, builds almost 3/4 of a bar back. Pretty strong stuff.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Potential issue for certain characters; EN Windmill Punch connects fully on these characters on crouch block and makes the entire string of EN Windmill Punch xx Dragon's Roar airtight:

Kitana
Mileena
Ferra/Torr

After that, it seems pretty split between the cast; for some, crouch blocking f213 xx EN Windmill xx Dragon's Roar is interruptible by a single gap near the end of the string. With timing, it should be easy to get down. For the other half, they can either interrupt it while standing or on crouching with a generous window.

This sucks for Kitty, Mileena and FT, since you can basically do one of these combos that ends standing (Ex. F44 xx windmill punches xx SF, 112 xx Windmill Punches xx Fireball, or even the slightly less damaging f44 xx SF, 112 xx Windmill Punches xx Fireball) and then continue with a very quick blockstring into the EN Windmill Punch xx Dragon's Roar. These three can't interrupt, with their only shot being right after the fireball. If you can condition them to block, the combo then the followup string should take away at least 45% if not 50. It also, since every hit connects, builds almost 3/4 of a bar back. Pretty strong stuff.
I believe you could just leave off the fireball at the end of the combo as well, making a run cancel into a blockstring guaranteed.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
Here's a video of what I was talking about with Soapbox's suggestion of Windmill Punches > F213. First I show that Kitana cannot escape the f213 blockstring, then apply it in a common combo.

http://1drv.ms/1LB1oT4

Like I said, this works on Kitana, Mileena, and Ferra/Torr. Scary stuff. Also check out the meter build!

Last edited:

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Here's a video of what I was talking about with Soapbox's suggestion of Windmill Punches > F213. First I show that Kitana cannot escape the f213 blockstring, then apply it in a common combo.
http://1drv.ms/1LB1oT4

Like I said, this works on Kitana, Mileena, and Ferra/Torr. Scary stuff. Also check out the meter build!
Yeah this is pretty awesome stuff. I mean against other characters I do the exact same thing usually except the blockstring is just fwd213~Dragons Roar which I believe does 6 percent chip with the buff on. So against these characters this is really just an amazing bonus to use in these match ups haha. Good work!

Am I the only one having trouble linking f44 after the SF? I seem to only get it half the time. Is there a trick to the timing?

Been practicing f44 sf f44 windmill, and if I'm a hair too early or too late, the second f44 gets blocked.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Am I the only one having trouble linking f44 after the SF? I seem to only get it half the time. Is there a trick to the timing?

Been practicing f44 sf f44 windmill, and if I'm a hair too early or too late, the second f44 gets blocked.
You honestly just have to practice it. I don't have it 100 percent yet either. My only advice would be stay loose with your inputs, if you get really tense you may start mashing a little and then you'll never get it consistent.