What's new

Guide - Liu Kang Liu Kang Living Guide Thread

AssassiN

Noob
What do you guys wake up with? MB DB2?
EX DB2 and EX Dragon Kick are good wake-ups.
EX DB2 has the weakness that on whiff it takes a long time to recover. What this means is that any NJ, cross-up's can punish it.
You'll notice that people who know the MU will use D3 or D4 a lot when Liu is knocked down, that's because Liu has no wake-up to hit them out of it. His DB2 whiffs on those kinds of pokes. Some chars are + on their D3 or D4 and have decent recovery time on these pokes.
When I notice people are doing this and I'm in the corner, I like to wake-up with Dragon Kick. Because it will get me out of the corner and they won't be able to punish it.

Fun fact: Liu's D3 doesn't get hit by ice-clone until after it's active frames. That means before the patch if Sub blocked the D3 while in his clone, you would get frozen. Now if he blocks it, the clone disappears and Liu is +1.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
@WITNESS you're kidding yourself if you think that f21 isn't a noticeable nerf for FF. As has already been said, Dualist and DF have frame traps of their own, but FF losing it's only advantage string does take away from it. Life will still go one for him, but this nerf/frame data fix (whichever it was truly) has an impact on FF that the other variants do not feel as much.

I however don't disagree that a 9 frame mid should not be plus 2, but it would still work ok if it was neutral on hit, but no, now that it's minus 3 there isn't really any point to using it in FF. A useful tool has been taken away.

WITNESS

Worlds Famous
@WITNESS you're kidding yourself if you think that f21 isn't a noticeable nerf for FF. As has already been said, Dualist and DF have frame traps of their own, but FF losing it's only advantage string does take away from it. Life will still go one for him, but this nerf/frame data fix (whichever it was truly) has an impact on FF that the other variants do not feel as much.

I however don't disagree that a 9 frame mid should not be plus 2, but it would still work ok if it was neutral on hit, but no, now that it's minus 3 there isn't really any point to using it in FF. A useful tool has been taken away.
How can I be kidding myself if I never use it to begin with? Because I am not

On the bright side, the opponent can't mash buttons while blocking anymore, so it'd still be possible to frame trap with it or with other moves. f21 then f12?

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Can you guys tell me some bnbs for flame fist and General game plan
combos are in the combo thread, the last page has some corner combos for flame fist that are pretty simple.

As far as game plan goes you want to rush down of course. f44 is the go to combo starter, but players who know the match-up block low often so condition them with b2(fast and far reaching overhead) until they start blocking high and then catch them with f44 xx windmill punch. after that they're in a very vulnerable range where you can b2 them for an overhead, b4 them for a sweep(you'll probably want to move forward just a itsy bit for a sure hit) or f44(same thing as the sweep) in windmill again.

you can get a safe buff after landing b342, f123, most importantly db2 which you can end any string with. Not even teleports can catch you buffing.

at full screen Liu has a good run and his fireballs are great, fast decent damage and can hit from three positions(air, high, low).

Though the strings that give you a safe buff create a lot of distance, the buff boosts your fireball damage to 10.5%, higher than just about every non-ex projectile in the game with properties as good. This means you can still take advantage of your buff even if you're in a projectile war, because you'll undoubtably out damage whoever you're fighting.

Now my favorite part, the parry, is actually a really good parry. catching anything but lows and jump attacks. If you know who you're fighting you'll know when to parry, obviously, and a lot of characters need mid/high/overhead starters to squeeze out real damage. It's not useful in every matchup, while characters like Ferra/Torr and Goro can be read like a book and rely on non-low pokes and special moves, characters like Sonya or Erron Black have some nasty 50/50's and can go overhead or low unpredictably. In those cases you'll just have to look for patterns in your opponent. Knowing the gaps in strings is also good as you can catch some characters in the middle of them.

If some one jumps in on you and does a block string can you do the counter after the jump in hit so the beginning of the combo string cuz I've had people armor through when I jump in after the jump in hit

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
So am I crazy or is b12 ridiculously good for corner pressured? Fast, hits mid, cancelable, catches jumps for a full combo punish, b1 destroys armored wake-ups, and it's only -3.

AssassiN

Noob
So am I crazy or is b12 ridiculously good for corner pressured? Fast, hits mid, cancelable, catches jumps for a full combo punish, b1 destroys armored wake-ups, and it's only -3.
Nope, it's good. Alot of peole use it in the corner, the downside to B12 is that it has long recovery against delayed wake-ups.
F213~FB RC is also good on knockdown against the corner. If the opponent does delayed wake-up, he'll get up before the 3 comes out and you're like +10 on block.

Nope, it's good. Alot of peole use it in the corner, the downside to B12 is that it has long recovery against delayed wake-ups.
F213~FB RC is also good on knockdown against the corner. If the opponent does delayed wake-up, he'll get up before the 3 comes out and you're like +10 on block.
That part about F213 still working on delayed wake-up is really good to know, I get blown up by those a lot. Ive also been throwing dragon kick mb into my game a lot because of the ridiculous block advantage. Its possible to take 40% off the opponent from chip alone by using f213, run cancels, and dragon kick meter burn with 3 meters

AssassiN

Noob
That part about F213 still working on delayed wake-up is really good to know, I get blown up by those a lot. Ive also been throwing dragon kick mb into my game a lot because of the ridiculous block advantage. Its possible to take 40% off the opponent from chip alone by using f213, run cancels, and dragon kick meter burn with 3 meters
You're on PC, I can tell.
They nerfed Liu's Flying Kick MB a long time ago, on PC it's still +15 while on consoles it's +2.
Normally, it should already be changed on PC when Jason came out. But for some reason that change wasn't among the other changes.

They nerfed Liu's Flying Kick MB a long time ago, on PC it's still +15 while on consoles it's +2.
Normally, it should already be changed on PC when Jason came out. But for some reason that change wasn't among the other changes.
Wow, I never knew about that. They didn't include it in the Tanya patch either. +2 kind of sucks, most moves I do will end up trading with their standing 1's I suppose

it IS changed. . . PLEASE ! PLEASE stop spreading misinformation. I get so many scrubs online bitching that it is not patched on Steam because I wreck them. Put practice dummy to reversal, do a dragon kick mb, press any button less than 15 frames. If they get out of BLOCK STUN THEN IT IS NOT +15.

+2 is still very good. The mix ups come from knowing what options they know. You have answers for each.

AssassiN

Noob
it IS changed. . . PLEASE ! PLEASE stop spreading misinformation. I get so many scrubs online bitching that it is not patched on Steam because I wreck them. Put practice dummy to reversal, do a dragon kick mb, press any button less than 15 frames. If they get out of BLOCK STUN THEN IT IS NOT +15.

+2 is still very good. The mix ups come from knowing what options they know. You have answers for each.
When did they apply the change?
Sorry if I've made a mistake, haven't played on PC before the Tanya patch. Last patch I played was when they had to revert the patch and re-release it.