What's new

Liu Kang Guide Feedback

LIU KANG:

BEST NORMALS:
*:r+:fp:bp HIT LEVEL:M,M - 2 very fast advancing jabs that give advantage on hit.

*:fp:bp:l+:fpHIT LEVEL:H,H,H - 3 hit launching string. safe on block, if the last hit is crouched the opponent gets full combo of choice.

*:bp:fp:fkHIT LEVEL:H,M,M(overhead) - safe 3 hit launching string ending with an overhead so it must be blocked standing.

*:l+:fk:fpHIT LEVEL: L,H - 2 hit string that grants advantage on hit. both hits are safe on block and the string jails so the high hit will not wiff if the low hit makes contact on block.

*:l+:fk:fp:bpHIT LEVEL: L,H,H - 3 hit string that jails. on hit Liu Kang can get a dash combo. is safe on block

*:r+:bp:bkHIT LEVEL:M,H - 2 hit string that jails and will grant advantage on hit. safe on block.

*:r+:bk:fkHIT LEVEL: L,H - 2 hit string that juggles on hit. safe on block.

*:r+:fkHIT LEVEL:M(overhead) - safe overhead kick that gives advantage on hit.

*:d:l+:bpHIT LEVEL:N/A - dragon stance. while in stance :fp = launcher thats advantage on block and hits high, :bp = worthless straight punch, :bk = overhead punished by full combo on block, :fk = sweep.

SPECIALS:
*Fire Ball:)l:r+:fp)HIT LEVEL:H - standard fire ball, safe from mid to far range, unsafe at close ranges.

*Low Fire Ball:)l:r+:fk)HIT LEVEL: L - low version of fire ball, safe from mid to far range, unsafe at closer ranges.

*Air Fire Ball:)l:r+:fp while in air)HIT LEVEL:H - air version of fire ball. safe in most situations.

*Flying Kick:)l:r+:fk)HIT LEVEL:H - fast flying kick. decent ranged punisher. on block gets punished by combo of choice.

*Bicycle Kick:)l:l:r+:bk)HIT LEVEL:M - very unsafe on block, doesnt do much on hit, not even good in combos. this move is basically worthless.

*Parry:)d:l+:fp)HIT LEVEL:parries H,M, and Throws - 8% parry. catches moves that hit high and mid. will get hit by lows. unsafe on wiff.

:en MOVES:
*:en Fire Ball:)l:r+:fp+:blk)HIT LEVEL:H - more damaging version of the standard fire ball.

*:en Low Fire Ball:)l:r+:fk+:blk)HIT LEVEL: L - more damaging version of the standard low fire ball.

*:en Air Fire Ball:)l:r+:fp+:blk while in air)HIT LEVEL:H - more damaging version of the standard air fire ball.

*:en Flying Kick:)l:r+:fk+:blk)HIT LEVEL:H - more damaging version of the standard flying kick.

*:en Bicycle Kick:)l:l:r+:bk+:blk)HIT LEVEL:M - more damaging version of the standard bicycle kick.

*:en Parry:)d:l+:fp+:blk)HIT LEVEL:parries H,M, and Throws - same properties as standard parry only it launches now.

STRATEGY:
Liu Kang's strategy is simple and to the point, safe 50/50s

*use :l+:fk:fp and :r+:fk as a 50/50. when you connect, you have advantage and can follow up with :r+:fp:bp, throw, :l+:fk:fp/:r+:bk

*you can use :r+:fp:bp to kind of force your way in. you can also approach with :r+:fk or :r+:bp:bk. all 3 options are fast and advance forward so they are great tools to bulldog in with.

*the :l+:fk:fp:bp string allows for juggles in open space with dash cancel. it is possible to xray off of this giving Liu Kang a safe way to combo in xray off of a low.

*use :fp:bp:l+:bp as a fast punisher vs unsafe attacks.

*the :r+:bp:bk string has great range and gives advantage.

*Liu Kang's :d+:bp uppercut is one of the faster uppercuts in the game. GREAT anti air.

*Liu Kang's parry and :en parry is good on wake up to get ppl off you. you can also use :en parry as an anti air and get a juggle. works great vs cross up jump ins.

*Liu Kang has pretty good zoning and meter building by abusing instant air fireball. basically from range you want to abuse instant air fireball without mercy. when instant air fireball anti airs Liu Kang gets a guaranteed flying kick.

COMBOS

STANDARD COMBOS:
1. :fp:bp:l+:fp dash, :r+:fp:bp, :r+:fp:bp, :r+:fp:bp, :r+:fp:bp~flying kick or :en flying kick (only 3 rotations of :r+:fp:bp vs a cornered opponent)

2. :fp:bp:l+:fp dash, :l+:fk:fp:bp dash, :l+:fk:fp:bp dash, :l+:fk:fp:bp

3. :l+:fk:fp:bp dash, :r+:bp:bk~flying kick or :en flying kick

4. :l+:fk:fp:bp dash, :r+:fp:bp, :r+:fp:bp, :r+:fp:bp, :r+:fp:bp~flying kick or :en flying kick (only 3 rotations of :r+:fp:bp vs a cornered opponent)

5. :l+:fk:fp:bp dash, :l+:fk:fp:bp dash, :l+:fk:fp:bp dash, :l+:fk:fp:bp

6. :en parry/dragon stance :fp, :r+:fp:bp, :r+:fp:bp, :r+:fp:bp, :r+:fp:bp~flying kick or :en flying kick

7. :en parry/dragon stance :fp, :l+:fk:fp:bp dash, :l+:fk:fp:bp dash, :l+:fk:fp:bp

8. :r+:bk:fk~flying kick or :en flying kick

9. (opponent in corner):r+:bk:fk, :r+:bk:fk~flying kick or :en flying kick

10. (opponents back in corner) :l+:fk:fp:bp, :l+:fk:fp:bp, :l+:fk:fp:bp, :l+:fk:fp:bp, :l+:fk~low fireball

12. (opponents back in corner) :fp:bp:l+:fp, :l+:fk:fp:bp, :l+:fk:fp:bp, :l+:fk:fp:bp, :l+:fk~low fireball

13. (opponents back to wall) dragon stance :fp, :l+:fk:fp:bp, :l+:fk:fp:bp, :l+:fk:fp:bp, :l+:fk:fp~low fireball

14. (opponents back to wall) :bp:fp:fk, :l+:fk:fp:bp, :l+:fk:fp:bp, :l+:fk:fp:bp, :l+:fk:fp~low fireball

:x COMBOS:
1. :l+:fk:fp:bp dash, :r+:bp:bk~:x, :r+:bp:bk~flying kick

2. :l+:fk:fp:bp dash, :r+:bp:bk~:x, :r+:fp:bp, :r+:fp:bp, :r+:fp:bp, :r+:fp:bp~flying kick

3. :l+:fk:fp:bp dash, :r+:bp:bk~:x, :l+:fk:fp:bp, dash :l+:fk:fp:bp

4. :fp:bp:l+:fp, dash :r+:bp:bk~:x, :r+:bp:bk~flying kick

5. :fp:bp:l+:fp, dash :r+:bp:bk~:x, :r+:fp:bp, :r+:fp:bp, :r+:fp:bp, :r+:fp:bp~flying kick

6. :fp:bp:l+:fp, dash :r+:bp:bk~:x, :l+:fk:fp:bp, :l+:fk:fp:bp

7. :bp:fp:fk, :r+:bp:bk~:x, :r+:bp:bk~:x, :l+:fk:fp:bp, dash :l+:fk:fp:bp

8. (opponent in corner):l+:fk~:x, NJ :fp/:bp, jump kick~air fireball, :r+:fp:bp, :r+:fp:bp, :r+:fp:bp~flying kick

9. (opponent in corner):l+:fk~:x, NJ :fp/:bp, jump kick~air fireball, :l+:fk:fp:bp, :l+:fk:fp:bp, :l+:fk~low fireball

10. (opponent in corner)dragon stance :fp, NJ :fp/:bp, back up :fk~:x, jump kick~air fireball, :l+:fk:fp:bp, :l+:fk:fp:bp, :l+:fk~low fireball

11. (opponent in corner):fp:bp:l+:fp, NJ :fp/:bp, back up :fk~:x, jump kick~air fireball, :l+:fk:fp:bp, :l+:fk:fp:bp, :l+:fk~low fireball

SMOK3

Noob
So is there really any use for Liu Kang's enhanced bicycle kick? I'm pretty sure it's slower on startup than the regular and the damage difference from the regular isn't to much so I see no use for it.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Is there any thing you can end this with [ :l+:fk:fp:bp dash, :l+:fk:fp:bp dash, :l+:fk:fp:bp dash, :l+:fk:fp:bp ] After the last hit?

Riyo

Noob
That's pretty much it cause after the 4th loop, the opponent is too low to do anything. In the corner though, you can do 5 reps of it.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
:bp:fp:fk Is a a nice overhead combo, the last hit is the overhead, and it also launches so you get a free juggle. A good way to incorporate this is to mix it up with :l+:fk:fp:bp low starter into launcher. They have to block high on the overhead, and low on the low launcher.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
So glad that I found this site, and this info on Liu Kang. Looking forward to playing some of you online. Great guide!!!!
Thanks and welcome to TYM! It seems there isn't many Kang players, glad to see some new faces!

gamer

Noob
LIU KANG:

8. (opponent in corner):l+:fk~:x, NJ :fp/:bp, jump kick~air fireball, :r+:fp:bp, :r+:fp:bp, :r+:fp:bp~flying kick

9. (opponent in corner):l+:fk~:x, NJ :fp/:bp, jump kick~air fireball, :l+:fk:fp:bp, :l+:fk:fp:bp, :l+:fk~low fireball

10. (opponent in corner)dragon stance :fp, NJ :fp/:bp, back up :fk~:x, jump kick~air fireball, :l+:fk:fp:bp, :l+:fk:fp:bp, :l+:fk~low fireball

11. (opponent in corner):fp:bp:l+:fp, NJ :fp/:bp, back up :fk~:x, jump kick~air fireball, :l+:fk:fp:bp, :l+:fk:fp:bp, :l+:fk~low fireball

what does mean NJ from 8 to 11 ?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
is there any combo without x-ray & corner about 50% damage ?
Yes, there's one that I did that's exactly 50% with no meter, but it's in the corner. If you were asking for one without the corner, then no, there's not.

(Opponent in the corner) JPS, :l+:fk:fp:bp, JK~AFB, :l+:fk:fp:bp, :l+:fk:fp:bp, :l+:fk:fp:bp, :l+:fk~LFB

JPS = Jump Punch Starter
JK = Jump Kick
LFB = Low Fireball
AFB = Air Fireball

ded

Elder God
i accidently got unblockable otg with liu kang:

p2 was blocking and it resets the flopping from what i have tested, maybe it will be useful for the guide if confirmed by tom or someone else high-level.

DrDogg

Noob
i accidently got unblockable otg with liu kang:

p2 was blocking and it resets the flopping from what i have tested, maybe it will be useful for the guide if confirmed by tom or someone else high-level.
I can test later, but what was the AI set to? You said "blocking", but if it's set to standing block, lows will still connect.

Xyero

Noob
I'm trying to figure out this combo number 5: [:l+:fk:fp:bp dash, :l+:fk:fp:bp dash, :l+:fk:fp:bp dash, :l+:fk:fp:bp ]

However in training mode I knock them too far away even after I dash: Is this due to a timing problem?

OK: I figured out the timing but I can only seem to do 3.. just gotta practice i guess

Yes, there's one that I did that's exactly 50% with no meter, but it's in the corner. If you were asking for one without the corner, then no, there's not.

(Opponent in the corner) JPS, :l+:fk:fp:bp, JK~AFB, :l+:fk:fp:bp, :l+:fk:fp:bp, :l+:fk:fp:bp, :l+:fk~LFB

JPS = Jump Punch Starter
JK = Jump Kick
LFB = Low Fireball
AFB = Air Fireball
midscreen:
JPS, b+FK, FP, BP, f,f , b+FK, FP, xray, f+FP, BP x3, b, f+BP

This is a very informative site thank you guys for all the info. this coming from an mk scrub who finds this info all great.