What's new

Guide - Dragons Fire Liu Kang Guide: Dragon's Fire variation breakdown. (Outdated)

LavaG

Representing Gamers Republic GH
you didn't try to armor out of anything / or use your footsies (gdlk backdash).. you missed a bunch of punishes on his messed up fireballs (you were doing d4 balls). his cancels alot o times were really late and gappy from what i saw. it looks like u just get impatient m8. you need to use ur fast as fuck low to counter poke him more when he does the bf2 ex and tries to follow up.. you're lettin him get away with doing a 12 frame d3?
True, but i don't armor because in most attempts he'll break it with b12 fireball rc and get a full combo, strings into meterburn flying kick catches my backdash. i believe i was certainly counterpoking him after bf2 ex and when he tried to follow up with d3. i know i can counter poke after his d3 but he sometimes catches me with his b12, its a really tight window to counter poke, i manage to do so bcos shinnok's d1 is 6 frames, but what about most cast with an 8 frame poke. Thanks anyway, i'll do more work and incorporate what u've said.

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
True, but i don't armor because in most attempts he'll break it with b12 fireball rc and get a full combo, strings into meterburn flying kick catches my backdash. i believe i was certainly counterpoking him after bf2 ex and when he tried to follow up with d3. i know i can counter poke after his d3 but he sometimes catches me with his b12, its a really tight window to counter poke, i manage to do so bcos shinnok's d1 is 6 frames, but what about most cast with an 8 frame poke. Thanks anyway, i'll do more work and incorporate what u've said.
np if you ever want help id be happy to run you through all ur options in game and help you figure out the mu bettter

Wrubez

The Flow Instructor
I can do all of Liu's fbc strings EXCEPT for f44 xx fbc xx f44. Any tips here? I have seen video of it and it's craxy fast but I swear I can get it pretty damn fast. I can do f44 fbc 113 easily but when I try f44 again it doesn't continue the combo. Is there a certain spot in the animation I can buffer that I'm not seeing?

RM_Gamer

Noob
I can do all of Liu's fbc strings EXCEPT for f44 xx fbc xx f44. Any tips here? I have seen video of it and it's craxy fast but I swear I can get it pretty damn fast. I can do f44 fbc 113 easily but when I try f44 again it doesn't continue the combo. Is there a certain spot in the animation I can buffer that I'm not seeing?
Just have to input f44 fast. I just do f44 fb rc 112~ bk mb if I want to land his big combo. It does 1% less damage but it's more consistent

Bender

Product Manager. xBone tag: I3end3r.
Strings that are neutral on block:
F21
B34
You sure these are correct? I just picked up Kang as my #2 character, so I'm no expert, but I believe 111 is+2 and the others are all slightly negative.

Frame data could be wrong tho.

You sure these are correct? I just picked up Kang as my #2 character, so I'm no expert, but I believe 111 is+2 and the others are all slightly negative.

Frame data could be wrong tho.
Its before patch giude!

111 +2
F21 -3
b3,4 seems like 0

Bender

Very underrated you play liu kang ? no ? i believe you need to time b12 sometimes you can miss , played against erron and kotal whos jumping like crazy cant antiair them for shit and try to space kotals jumping 1 good luck with that , range on that is retarded. Erron just blocks my pressure and when i try f21 which is like -3 i dont know why everyone does it then f44 he pokes out almost every time. What do i get off of my pressure ? a throw maybe or 7% back 2 and what he gets ? a 50/50 into 40% into the corner into more pressure and another 50/50 ? yeah liu kang IS SO OP JESUS NERF LIU KANG

And where is he underrated ? everyone is saying hes mid-tier which is correct no ? underrated ? liu top 5 ?
According to the most recent tier list, he is considered the third worst character in the game. If that's the case, I think he's underrated.

Bender

Its before patch giude!

111 +2
F21 -3
b3,4 seems like 0
Gotcha. Everything else seemed accurate, so I wasn't sure. I recall hearing he received some nerfs but hadn't played a good Kang by then, so wasn't really sure what the deal was.

Is there anything else in the original notes that's changed?

Wrubez

The Flow Instructor
LK DF Tips:

1) YouTube Rm_Atk and/or Whitebl4ck

2) Observe and Learn

3) Improve

:p

In all seriousness as a LK DF main I give major props to these two. Watching them both in competition (online or local) has really improved my game both on and offline. Atk's use of fbc is plain sick and whitebl4ck's fundamentals are fantastic.

For real I've been adamant that DF could be a top tier character (albeit would still love to have an OH starter for Liu but I digress lol) and observing you's really drives that home.

Now if I can jusssst f44 fbc f44 haha still can't get that shit to continue the combo no matter how fast I think I'm the cancel or the second f44.

Anyway, keep it goin fellas!

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
Haha. Do you just miss Smoke, or MK9 in general?
iono kinda both man aha
LK DF Tips:

1) YouTube Rm_Atk and/or Whitebl4ck

2) Observe and Learn

3) Improve

:p

In all seriousness as a LK DF main I give major props to these two. Watching them both in competition (online or local) has really improved my game both on and offline. Atk's use of fbc is plain sick and whitebl4ck's fundamentals are fantastic.

For real I've been adamant that DF could be a top tier character (albeit would still love to have an OH starter for Liu but I digress lol) and observing you's really drives that home.

Now if I can jusssst f44 fbc f44 haha still can't get that shit to continue the combo no matter how fast I think I'm the cancel or the second f44.

Anyway, keep it goin fellas!
:) thanks lol

kencheese

sub zero cryomancer
iam new to mk games and i picked lk, have spent 2 month in practice, just not with a defenseless dummies but all modes of practice on medium and hard for costume to learn how to block and do wake ups and reversals, is lk strong, i think he is super strong, i see people ragging on him constantly, and who do you like the best lk or bojutsu or diplacer for a newbee who is really practicing hard to get somewhat good and takes the time to learn about frame data and canceling and block adv and start ups, i want to play and get good(iam 51 yrs old so my reflexes are not a strong as those of you young men, but my knowleged really helps me out) thanks scott

iam new to mk games and i picked lk, have spent 2 month in practice, just not with a defenseless dummies but all modes of practice on medium and hard for costume to learn how to block and do wake ups and reversals, is lk strong, i think he is super strong, i see people ragging on him constantly, and who do you like the best lk or bojutsu or diplacer for a newbee who is really practicing hard to get somewhat good and takes the time to learn about frame data and canceling and block adv and start ups, i want to play and get good(iam 51 yrs old so my reflexes are not a strong as those of you young men, but my knowleged really helps me out) thanks scott
Wow 51 and still MK'ing! I hope to be so lucky!!! Good for you man!

Good luck with Liu. He takes a lot of dedication.

kencheese

sub zero cryomancer
Wow 51 and still MK'ing! I hope to be so lucky!!! Good for you man!

Good luck with Liu. He takes a lot of dedication.
i have never played games before, just got a ps4 for mkx, you say lk takes alot of dedication, can you explain, who do you recommend to play with, do you like kung j bojutsu or raided displacer or someone else, thanks for the reply

i have never played games before, just got a ps4 for mkx, you say lk takes alot of dedication, can you explain, who do you recommend to play with, do you like kung j bojutsu or raided displacer or someone else, thanks for the reply
I mean more at high levels. For general purposes Liu is fine

Manticore

You will incubate my young!
[.QUOTE="kencheese, post: 1783450, member: 39210"]which characters and which of their variants do you consider used for higher levels, like top 5-10, Scott r[/QUOTE]
Don't rely on this too much, it's from what I have personally seen and believe.
1. Raiden (thunder god)
2. D'vorah (Swarm queen)
3. Kung Lao (Tempest)
4. Cassie Cage (all of them really)
5. Erron Black (outlaw)
This is a personal list

kencheese

sub zero cryomancer
[.QUOTE="kencheese, post: 1783450, member: 39210"]which characters and which of their variants do you consider used for higher levels, like top 5-10, Scott r
1. Raiden (thunder god)
2. D'vorah (Swarm queen)
3. Kung Lao (Tempest)
5. Erron Black (outlaw)
This is a personal list[/QUOTE]
thanks, what is your opinion on SZ Cryo, I started play him and really love his game play style

kencheese

sub zero cryomancer
1. Raiden (thunder god)
2. D'vorah (Swarm queen)
3. Kung Lao (Tempest)
5. Erron Black (outlaw)
This is a personal list
thanks, what is your opinion on SZ Cryo, I started play him and really love his game play style[/QUOTE]
One other question

kencheese

sub zero cryomancer
thanks, what is your opinion on SZ Cryo, I started play him and really love his game play style
One other question[/QUOTE]
Sorry , the other question is, any suggestions on how to transition from single player medium to hard, when I first started playing I learned on very easy, had a hard time so practice on medium how to block, punish and so on went back to very easy and easy and ripped it up, so quickly advanced to med. and now I have fun but want more, my rec is 1250/52 on medium, went to hard and can put up a descent fight but always get beat, should I go to VH and practice a lot and go back to hard,I don't want to acquire bad habits, VH does not imtimidate me, but wow every thing must be done in 1/60th of a second it appears to me, I just using VH to get real good a tech blocking, punishes and wake ups, Any suggestions would be appreciated. Scott

Manticore

You will incubate my young!
Sorry , the other question is, any suggestions on how to transition from single player medium to hard, when I first started playing I learned on very easy, had a hard time so practice on medium how to block, punish and so on went back to very easy and easy and ripped it up, so quickly advanced to med. and now I have fun but want more, my rec is 1250/52 on medium, went to hard and can put up a descent fight but always get beat, should I go to VH and practice a lot and go back to hard,I don't want to acquire bad habits, VH does not imtimidate me, but wow every thing must be done in 1/60th of a second it appears to me, I just using VH to get real good a tech blocking, punishes and wake ups, Any suggestions would be appreciated. Scott
I haven't seen any good SZ cryos at high level at all. I don't believe he's that good. Practicing with AI in the first place is a little detrimental. I only play AI when I'm bored and have nothing else to do. You should play offline against ppl to get a good grasp of the fundamentals