What's new

Guide - Dragons Fire Liu Kang Guide: Dragon's Fire variation breakdown. (Outdated)

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
thanks for the quick reply
I have 1 more question
is there a trick in order to release the air fireball this low?
I cant seem to get the air fireball coming out this low after the overhead

thx
ya trick is do it instantly... lol theres no secret really just practice the timing when ur able to jump and instantly fireball..

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
I have 1 more question

thx
Doing instant air fireballs (iaf's) generally just takes a lot of practice and quick fingers. I've heard turning on input shortcuts in the controller settings and inputting up + back, down+forward 1 makes it a little easier, at least for Cassie's air guns.

AssassiN

Noob
I have 1 more question

thx
There is no secret input or shortcuts or something like that.
To make them come out easier, you can turn on input shortcuts. That has helped for me, but otherwise it's practice.

9_Lives

Noob
If the f213 isn't blocked midscreen, is there a way to get anything off a fireball cancel?
@Everlast

I messed around some and found some decent damage. I took what Everlast said about the bicycle kick and you can actually follow up with a run cancel into an uppercut for 3% extra. So:
f213~bicyclekick run~d2 25%

In the corner, I do
f213~fireball rc~111~bicycle kick, f213~flying kicks 28%

Off a f213, a more damaging and safer combo is
f213 ~ db2, juggle f12~bicycle kicks, whatever ender you use (i use f4~db3). 32%, and if they block the string you dont need to burn meter to make yourself safe
The bicycle kick extension doesnt work on females though

kencheese

sub zero cryomancer
Liu kang's dragon's fire variation IMO is hands down the best variation Liu has. He's got practically a safe fly kick, late MB specials that are great for combos and chase downs, and fireballs that recover pretty quick

Footsies/play style:
In this variation liu kang can control the neutral very well with low fireball. Its got pretty decent recover and could pressure the opponent enough to jump.

Liu Kang can bait jumps and anti air uppercut. IMO Liu Kang has one of the best uppercuts in the game. You can also make jump ins whiff and then punish them with a f44, OH b2 or grab. Armored moves like armored double kick are good for anti airs as well. Stay away from using armored dragons roar for anti airs because sometimes it whiff them and leaves you vulnerable for a punish. One unique asset to this variation is Liu's fireball cancels. Liu has ALOT of cancel strings that are plus on block. I'll get into which ones to use when and how to pressure later on.

Liu Kang does not have Kung Jin mixups with OH and Lows but he does have pressure mixups that are incredibly good and prolly on the same level of intensity as the 50/50s other characters have. Between his neutral strings like f21, b34, 111 and some of the cancels, liu can put crazy pressure on you and force you to press buttons or mash out armor moves which he can stuff for full combos.

Liu Kangs pressure and how to apply mixups:

First off let me give you the liu of fireball cancel strings that are plus on block. Note: every string I'm about to list grants at least a b34 followup afterwards. B34 is ~12 or 13 frame startup I believe? Its pretty slow but point is these cancel strings leave you at a significant advantage on block.

List of plus on block fireball RUN cancel strings:
B3
B34 (after second hit)
B34 (after third hit)
F213 can
F44
B33

I tested f4 after the 1st and 2nd hit but completely forgot if they were advantage.... I'll update this when I retest.

String that is advantage after a normal fireball DASH cancel:
F213

Now f213 is really special. It is the only fireball run cancel that is a true blockstring and also the only normal dash cancel that is plus on block.

Fireball run cancel strings that combo on hit:
F44
B12
B1
B3
B34 (after second hit)
F1
F12

Strings that are neutral on block:
F21
B34
If anymore I may have forgotten, I will update.

Now how to apply this pressure you may ask? Well Liu kang has a really really great normal that breaks pretty much every 1 hit absorbing armored moves. Key is to pressure them to death so you can get them to armor out and then when they attempt to do so, break it with b12 and get your combo. You can also pressure them on knockdown because b12 eats up their armored wakeup attacks

Pressure applications:

Like cage in MK9, liu pressure with lots of normals that are neutral on block and staggers some to bait players that react slow to mixups. However liu has meterless frame traps that can lock your opponent down.

Examples of pressure/mixup w explaination:

B34, f44 or b34 fireball cancel f44
How does this mixup work? You use a neutral on block string like b34 to pressure your opponent. It is fast on recovery and if your opponent hesitates, you can get the f44 off.

If they decide to try and interrupt you after b34 and you read them, you can fireball run cancel into f44 and you will stuff out any sort of poke or normal attack.

NOTE: When you condition your opponents on the frame traps, you can start ,grabbing or throwing out the overhead.
can i ask a simple Q, new to mk and have spent the last two months learning liu kang, understand frame data , iam using frame date to figure out what basic moves can be canceled into special moves and iam putting together some nice basic kombo strings(f44,bf2>mb,b34 or b33,BK,d2(. use d2 if in a corner). here is the question, can you please tell me the proper definition of a block string and the definiton of a frame trap, i assume a block string, the opponent must block the entire kombo and a frame trap is a gap in the string where the opponent can come out of block before the komob have full connected and punish you with a move whose start up is less than the cancel adv of the last part of the kombo you used, also can you tell me how to calculate a true blockstring to see if there are frame gaps and do you have a list of liu kangs true block string moves

Last edited:

kencheese

sub zero cryomancer
can i ask a simple Q, new to mk and have spent the last two months learning liu kang, understand frame data , iam using frame date to figure out what basic moves can be canceled into special moves and iam putting together some nice basic kombo strings(f44,bf2>mb,b34 or b33,BK,d2.( use d2 if in a corner.) here is the question, can you please tell me the proper definition of a block string and the definiton of a frame trap, i assume a block string is a move where the opponent must block the entire kombo from start to finish and a frame trap is a gap in the string where the opponent can come out of block before the kombo have full connected and punish you with a move whose start up is less than the cancel adv of the last part of the kombo you used, also can you tell me how to calculate a true blockstring to see if there are frame gaps and do you have a list of liu kangs true block string moves, i have seen all types of calculation online and none of them seem to hold true thank you scott r

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
can i ask a simple Q, new to mk and have spent the last two months learning liu kang, understand frame data , iam using frame date to figure out what basic moves can be canceled into special moves and iam putting together some nice basic kombo strings(f44,bf2>mb,b34 or b33,BK,d2(. use d2 if in a corner). here is the question, can you please tell me the proper definition of a block string and the definiton of a frame trap, i assume a block string, the opponent must block the entire kombo and a frame trap is a gap in the string where the opponent can come out of block before the komob have full connected and punish you with a move whose start up is less than the cancel adv of the last part of the kombo you used, also can you tell me how to calculate a true blockstring to see if there are frame gaps and do you have a list of liu kangs true block string moves
a true block string means they cannot armor in the blockstring.. aka there is no gaps.. A frame trap is usually a + on block string that guarantee's a followup or atleast a check (low pooke or something). some frame traps have room to armor some don't.

LavaG

Representing Gamers Republic GH
Very underrated character, I hv played against a vry gud liu and I must say his pressure is insane..u simply can't wake up cos he'll break the armor with his b 12 string..After 2 run cancels, he refills part his stamina meter by doing f213 or f21up4 meterburn flying kick. If u mix up between strings into run cancels and strings into meter burn flying kick, u're going catch ur opponent trying 2 poke out or armor. That b 12 and d3 are soo gud. And oh, I can't seem to backdash as I'm always caught with f44 or f213. I hate playing against dis character:mad:, i'll prefer 50 50 anyday

Shtutik

Noob
Very underrated you play liu kang ? no ? i believe you need to time b12 sometimes you can miss , played against erron and kotal whos jumping like crazy cant antiair them for shit and try to space kotals jumping 1 good luck with that , range on that is retarded. Erron just blocks my pressure and when i try f21 which is like -3 i dont know why everyone does it then f44 he pokes out almost every time. What do i get off of my pressure ? a throw maybe or 7% back 2 and what he gets ? a 50/50 into 40% into the corner into more pressure and another 50/50 ? yeah liu kang IS SO OP JESUS NERF LIU KANG

And where is he underrated ? everyone is saying hes mid-tier which is correct no ? underrated ? liu top 5 ?

LavaG

Very underrated you play liu kang ? no ? i believe you need to time b12 sometimes you can miss , played against erron and kotal whos jumping like crazy cant antiair them for shit and try to space kotals jumping 1 good luck with that , range on that is retarded. Erron just blocks my pressure and when i try f21 which is like -3 i dont know why everyone does it then f44 he pokes out almost every time. What do i get off of my pressure ? a throw maybe or 7% back 2 and what he gets ? a 50/50 into 40% into the corner into more pressure and another 50/50 ? yeah liu kang IS SO OP JESUS NERF LIU KANG

And where is he underrated ? everyone is saying hes mid-tier which is correct no ? underrated ? liu top 5 ?

I'm i missing something here, how the hell do you poke him after his +2 or more cancels, most of the cast hv between 7 and 9 frame poke start ups making it difficult to poke especially if he follows up the cancel with b12(b1 with 9 frame start up and hits mid) . In addition , the b12 breaks armor so i stopped trying to armor. If you are going to poke him, u cant miss a frame and when the liu kang player mixes up with b12 fireball rc and b12 meter burn flying kick, it makes trying to poke a bigger problem.Together with f213 fireball rc and meterburn flying kicks, its pretty much safe to just block when liukang is pressuring you. Unless i dont know something that i'm going to be educated. Any y do f21 fireball rc if he's at -3, u hv better options

Shtutik

Noob
people do f21 then f44 as a mixup without any cancels and other players are just scared to poke , WHY ? what s liu gonna do hit you with f213 ? he cant even combo it midscreen , you cant poke him f44 and b34 you can armor f44 FB RC for sure b34 liu needs to do it very fast a bit of delay and armor goes through; b12 FB RC is - on block how s that a mixup you see fireball animation after b12 you poke or armour you see no fb animation you just wait he will do either db2 or mb his kick

Last edited:

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
I'm i missing something here, how the hell do you poke him after his +2 or more cancels, most of the cast hv between 7 and 9 frame poke start ups making it difficult to poke especially if he follows up the cancel with b12(b1 with 9 frame start up and hits mid) . In addition , the b12 breaks armor so i stopped trying to armor. If you are going to poke him, u cant miss a frame and when the liu kang player mixes up with b12 fireball rc and b12 meter burn flying kick, it makes trying to poke a bigger problem.Together with f213 fireball rc and meterburn flying kicks, its pretty much safe to just block when liukang is pressuring you. Unless i dont know something that i'm going to be educated. Any y do f21 fireball rc if he's at -3, u hv better options
lol the upplay is real.. if hes doing 213 thats a true block string.. hold that shit.. its a 9 hit block string at most big fuckin deal block it.. hes not comboing u... be patient once hes outa rescources what is he gonna do then? magically open u up.. u need to be patient and learn the mu man

LavaG

lol the upplay is real.. if hes doing 213 thats a true block string.. hold that shit.. its a 9 hit block string at most big fuckin deal block it.. hes not comboing u... be patient once hes outa rescources what is he gonna do then? magically open u up.. u need to be patient and learn the mu man
Out of resources? can you explain when he's out of resources? There is too much downplay, dragon fire is pretty good

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
Out of resources? can you explain when he's out of resources? There is too much downplay, dragon fire is pretty good
he gets 2 cancels / or he can burn his meter... on bf2 ex which is +2 if u block it.. +2 doesnt mean shit in this game. he gets nothing guaranteed after that you can easily get out after that

LavaG

after 2 cancels when there s no stamina left , if he can even do 2 in a row its hard for most people
After 2 cancels, he can do another f213 meterburn flying kick (delay meterburn a lil to make it hit mid) and puts him at +2 i think, this makes him regain part of his meter. its not all about the cancels, mixing up with meterburn flying kick which builds bar is what would make you sustain pressure.

Shtutik

Noob
After 2 cancels, he can do another f213 meterburn flying kick (delay meterburn a lil to make it hit mid) and puts him at +2 i think, this makes him regain part of his meter. its not all about the cancels, mixing up with meterburn flying kick which builds bar is what would make you sustain pressure.
so what ? nothing is guaranteed after MB kick

LavaG

he gets 2 cancels / or he can burn his meter... on bf2 ex which is +2 if u block it.. +2 doesnt mean shit in this game. he gets nothing guaranteed after that you can easily get out after that
Well, he gets a guaranteed poke and armor if ur opponent tries to poke or sthg

Shtutik

Noob
Well, he gets a guaranteed poke and armor if ur opponent tries to poke or sthg
NO poke is not guaranteed if you have 5 frame d1 for example even 7 frame can work , what armour ? db2 bf2 and EX BK whiffs on crouching opponent no matter meterburn or not so there no options after mb kick , db2 whiffs if you lower your hitbox and if not he wasted 2 bars of meter for no damage lol

fck 50/50 liu kang is that character a bit of change and he s top tier , make his strings 0 on block again he will be top tier give his mb kick at least +4 on block he will be top tier give him an overhead hes to good again. I just want him to have godlike antiair his U4 needs to be faster this move should antiair everything in the game and his EX IAFB needs to be faster as well to hit them on reaction

Last edited:

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
i'll just keep quiet , everybody is hoping to get buffed. I just feel liu kang doesn't need 50 50s to make him look good
noone said he needs a 5050 wtf are u on about... plz show me you fighting liu kang.. i want to see how well u know the mu and the character

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
you didn't try to armor out of anything / or use your footsies (gdlk backdash).. you missed a bunch of punishes on his messed up fireballs (you were doing d4 balls). his cancels alot o times were really late and gappy from what i saw. it looks like u just get impatient m8. you need to use ur fast as fuck low to counter poke him more when he does the bf2 ex and tries to follow up.. you're lettin him get away with doing a 12 frame d3?