What's new

Liu Kang general discussion.

The Highlander

There can be only one
Anyone got any experience with the Reiko match-up? I thought I had a handle on it but I ran into one using stryker and got absolutely bodied. The combination of his range/mix up with the grenades keeping his unsafe stuff safe, and leaving him plus was frustrating to fight through

ReD WolF

Lord of the Drip
Liu Kang mains,

I just recently started labbing with this character and don't know much. How do you all feel about Motaro over Kung Lao as a cameo option? I've been using lao just because he's familiar to me and does synergize well with Liu especially in regards to comboing off throw which I know you can do with Motaro as well. Do you guys think there's a big disparity between the two cameos over all?

The Highlander

There can be only one
Liu Kang mains,

I just recently started labbing with this character and don't know much. How do you all feel about Motaro over Kung Lao as a cameo option? I've been using lao just because he's familiar to me and does synergize well with Liu especially in regards to comboing off throw which I know you can do with Motaro as well. Do you guys think there's a big disparity between the two cameos over all?
Lao is probably still (imo) the better option. Motaro is however really good, and a few people here prefer him as the main kameo. If you can condition the opponent to let you get motaro shots off then you get jailing follow ups. Plus if the shot hits you get good oki. That's pretty huge but the gap is much bigger than Lao hat, which means they can stand 1 or down 1 you out of motaro shot as well as armor.

And then the other minor reasons I think Lao still takes it are: he offers combo extensions allowing sideswitch and a meterless launch off of f43, and you can hold the throw to get a side switch into the corner with Lao. You can still sideswitch throw with motaro but you have to be much closer to the corner.

So he's worth trying out, the reflect can be really good, and his turret is good in some situations. I just don't think he's quite better than Lao in most circumstances personally

ReD WolF

Lord of the Drip
Lao is probably still (imo) the better option. Motaro is however really good, and a few people here prefer him as the main kameo. If you can condition the opponent to let you get motaro shots off then you get jailing follow ups. Plus if the shot hits you get good oki. That's pretty huge but the gap is much bigger than Lao hat, which means they can stand 1 or down 1 you out of motaro shot as well as armor.

And then the other minor reasons I think Lao still takes it are: he offers combo extensions allowing sideswitch and a meterless launch off of f43, and you can hold the throw to get a side switch into the corner with Lao. You can still sideswitch throw with motaro but you have to be much closer to the corner.

So he's worth trying out, the reflect can be really good, and his turret is good in some situations. I just don't think he's quite better than Lao in most circumstances personally
I appreciate the explanation. I'm going to have to lab him. I do like the meterless launcher (spin) off of f43 with lao though. That's a pretty big selling point for me in addition to his other tools.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
I appreciate the explanation. I'm going to have to lab him. I do like the meterless launcher (spin) off of f43 with lao though. That's a pretty big selling point for me in addition to his other tools.
The spin used to be WAY better when it gave you armor on wakeup. I think they're both S tier choices for Liu but it really comes down to preference and skill. Lao is a bit easier to use and benefits a more balanced playstyle. Motaro is a little harder to use effectively but he really opens up Liu's pressure and oki game. Some of his stuff is a little tighter and less forgiving if you make a mistake.

The most important thing is the teleport, and they both perform that function almost equally (Motaro's teleport is a little better). Being able to teleport opens up your throw/strike mixups which I think is Liu's most competitive gameplan. I'd suggest learning both. Their matchups aren't exactly the same and it never hurts to learn all your options.

@The Highlander I always run into at least 1 Reiko at locals. I walk him down and neutral crouch regular shurikens/kameo projectiles. You can react to EX shuriken with a Motaro reflect, but it's too fast to punish with teleport. Once the reflect hits, you've got time to double dash. Always be ready to block low. Backdash a lot after safe strings and try to condition him to command throw punish. Sneak in some B2's to check him or neutral/back jump and punish when you read command throw. You can also EX BF4 to check the throw but be ready to teleport out if it gets blocked or whiffs. Once you get him to the corner just mix him to death on wakeup.

ReD WolF

Lord of the Drip
The spin used to be WAY better when it gave you armor on wakeup. I think they're both S tier choices for Liu but it really comes down to preference and skill. Lao is a bit easier to use and benefits a more balanced playstyle. Motaro is a little harder to use effectively but he really opens up Liu's pressure and oki game. Some of his stuff is a little tighter and less forgiving if you make a mistake.

The most important thing is the teleport, and they both perform that function almost equally (Motaro's teleport is a little better). Being able to teleport opens up your throw/strike mixups which I think is Liu's most competitive gameplan. I'd suggest learning both. Their matchups aren't exactly the same and it never hurts to learn all your options.

@The Highlander I always run into at least 1 Reiko at locals. I walk him down and neutral crouch regular shurikens/kameo projectiles. You can react to EX shuriken with a Motaro reflect, but it's too fast to punish with teleport. Once the reflect hits, you've got time to double dash. Always be ready to block low. Backdash a lot after safe strings and try to condition him to command throw punish. Sneak in some B2's to check him or neutral/back jump and punish when you read command throw. You can also EX BF4 to check the throw but be ready to teleport out if it gets blocked or whiffs. Once you get him to the corner just mix him to death on wakeup.
Can you elaborate on why Motaro aids Liu's oki game? I'm not very familiar with him outside of his +13 fireball buff and teleport

NHDR

Noob
I am just starting out with Liu and have some questions:

1. Is his DB4 a dependable AA?

2. I know Lao and Motaro are the best kameos, but anything good with Kano?

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
Can you elaborate on why Motaro aids Liu's oki game? I'm not very familiar with him outside of his +13 fireball buff and teleport
Tail shot knockdown is something like +33, guaranteeing a meaty dash F43/throw. The throw loops but delay and armor breaks it. The F43 stuff both. I posted a video of it earlier in the thread.