What's new

Liu Kang general discussion.

Vjeekes

DevilApes
Ever watched the Quentin Tarantino 2003 movie "Kill Bill"? In that movie Uma Thurman tries to master a handpalm-strike that kills the opponent.
After being hit by the strike your heart implodes after your next 5 footsteps....
Liu Kangs throw seems to be a direct reference to that strike in the movie which is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING imo !

NoCharge

Noob
Ever watched the Quentin Tarantino 2003 movie "Kill Bill"? In that movie Uma Thurman tries to master a handpalm-strike that kills the opponent.
After being hit by the strike your heart implodes after your next 5 footsteps....
Liu Kangs throw seems to be a direct reference to that strike in the movie which is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING imo !
Didn't watch it. I get it now.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Liu Kang is fun in the beta. I played a bit so I might of missed it but other than B2,1, does he have other pop-up strings?

Amirluc

Kaballin'
I’ve noticed that his fatality has slightly changed from the stress test. Now it is like the first trailer in which the victim screams throughout the body split portion. The stress test was silent on that part before lol

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
So Im definitely not going to main this character.....
After playing LK exclusively, with this limited experience, a few things just turn me off:
  • He has no overhead combo starter.
  • His only overhead string can't be used as a mix up in mid screen because of the push back.
  • Due to the lack of mixups, Im forced to grab more often because opening up an opponent who is turtling is very difficult. I might hit an overhead once in a while but it pushes them away and resets the space.
  • His strings dont feel like they have the same range as previous games so getting in on some of the other characters is needlessly difficult.
The main pressure strings I used were:
  • F14 (low ender, -3f on block),
  • B23 (ends with High, -6f on block),
  • 32 (overhead ender, +2f on block),
  • F43 (mid, -4f on block)
I also had some BnBs to go along with them. Obviously this might be just inexperience talking but for me, it was enough to turn me off of this character.

Im curious to hear what others think of him.

Just from watching, Liu Kang seems pretty sauceless compared to other characters. Everyone else has some kind of unique move that they base their gameplay around. From big ones like Johnny's hype to small one's like Kitana's mines. Meanwhile, Liu Kang is playing MK11 with his fireballs, staggers, and grabs. Even Ninjakilla was saying this Liu feels restricted to zoning but does anyone else who play him feel the same?

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
Johnny and Liu are very similar characters in terms of gameplay throughout the games. Fireballs, kicks that fly across the field and so on. Even Cage shares some of Bruce Lee swag Liu has. Cage even had the nunchaku as a weapon back in the 3d era. NRS decided to give them distinguishable strenths and weaknesses. Liu is clearly a zoning character, while Johnny clearly a rushdown character. I dont like it personally and it makes me wish we had variations back.. I realise that the Kameo system is in place for the shortcomings both characters have, but, clearly one character is better than the other at what they' re supposed to do.

Solo

Shadow Priest
Day 1 Liu Kang. He for sure is a zoning character. Spamming low fire dragon and fire balls was building the super meter pretty quick. Sometimes I didn't even realized I had 3 Super Meter Bars. Sareena/Sonya was my Kameo. NRS really wanted a slower game. So, if you played Liu Kang in the last the 4 MK's, he's different from what you would be use to. b24 was really good for punishing anyone who jumped which leads into a pretty good combo. Can be easily punished when blocked. Kia Blades is a really cover in case I had to fight up close. The lack of overhead starters make this character a bit hard to use. I personally struggled in the corner a lot. I didn't feel like I had any good options. Where I stand right now, NRS wants a slowed down MK. My opinion could change.

This isn't my favorite Liu Kang, but I'm loyal so I'm going to see it through to the end. As people become more and more comfortable with the game, idk where this go yet. Let's hope for a good direction.

(Honestly, I might learn Raiden. I played him a little bit and it was really fun. His combos are so stylish.)

After a couple of days, Liu Kang is trash. (Imma remain loyal though)
Ugh, I was wondering if it were just me feeling this way. I have played him since MKvsDC. He just isn't fitting my aesthetic this time. sigh.. Not sure i'll remain loyal after all this time of not playing MK11. Good luck to you tho. He feels so...meh.

Glad instant air fireballs are back tho.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
He seems fairly solid to me.

-PROS-
-6f starter
-mid string that can break armor depending on the matchup
-good fireballs (air, high, low)
-great anti-air that leads to combo
-plus frames (1, 2, 22, b4, kameo)
-decent movement/advancing normals = whiff punishing
-Throw combos/loops
-corner carry
-easy execution
-safe strings with good stagger and no/few gaps
-doesn't have to worry about upblock punishes
-meterless damage/can save meter for breaker
-launching projectile (EX BF3)
-good oki setups (teleporting out of BF4, low hat jump ins)
-can convert jump in kicks midscreen (air fireball) and in the corner (full combo)

-CONS-
-relies heavily on kameo for throw playstyle (Kung Lao)
-lacks a real overhead/low game
-poor armored wakeup/reversal
-all specials are punishable
-IAFB doesn't consistently hit grounded targets

He lacks a lot of the dirt some other characters have but I definitely don't think he's trash. He has decent footsies in a series infamous for having almost no neutral. I think he could potentially be a really high damage meterless monster with Jax/Goro but I really like his throw mixup playstyle. I'm probably overlooking some aspects of his game but I've only been playing him for a day. Check out NinjaKilla if you wanna watch a good Liu. He's probably going to end up somewhere at the high end of mid-tier.

Last edited:

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
Found an OS for EX BF3. If you input regular BF3 right after EX BF3 while the blue dragon is still in the air, the kick will only come out on hit.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Found an OS for EX BF3. If you input regular BF3 right after EX BF3 while the blue dragon is still in the air, the kick will only come out on hit.

Meh. would be fire if his normal bf3 was like this. Also I wish he had normal air fireball and his current flurry one was the ex version

just_2swift

What if his ex bf3 teleported him if it hits and he appears with the db4 animation for a pop up.

just_2swift

He's fundamentally gifted with some great tools. For me Lao is best because it opens up his shimmy game.