Combo 1: F44 - FBF4(wait)EX - NJP(U1) - B33 - FBF4 - D2

Combo 2: F44 - FBF4(Wait)EX - B12 - F213 - BF2

Combo 3: F44 - FBF4(Wait)EX - B33 - FBF4 - B12 - BF2

Combo 4: 113 - B33 - FBF4 - D2

Combo 5: F44 - FBF4(Wait)EX - U4 - BF2

Combo 5: 113 - B12 - B12 - BF2

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Been playing around HEAVY with Flame Fist and I'm in love. This variation has it all. Big damage, great punishes, projectiles, super devastating chip and wakeup options...so good. I'm fast becoming a believer in Liu Kang. Any BNB for FF yet?

kaseyk

Noob
Been playing around HEAVY with Flame Fist and I'm in love. This variation has it all. Big damage, great punishes, projectiles, super devastating chip and wakeup options...so good. I'm fast becoming a believer in Liu Kang. Any BNB for FF yet?
Good thing about lk is his bnbs are pretty much the same for all variations just slight changes with setup and pressure .

Solo

Shadow Priest
Some good at least 30% practical combos(no running) with Liu Kang(Dragon Fire). Prefer meterless, but whatever.

Not sure if this has already been discovered or not but are you guys making use of his iafireball and his 16 frame standing fireball in Dragon's fire? He has great zoning potential for a rushdown character

AssassiN

Noob
Not sure if this has already been discovered or not but are you guys making use of his iafireball and his 16 frame standing fireball in Dragon's fire? He has great zoning potential for a rushdown character
Potential yes, but he can easily be outzoned in Dragon's Fire when fighting a zoning character.
I do not really use his ia fireball. Only when I make a hard read and want to AA them.
When I'm zoning and I read they are gonna jump I delay my low fireball.

His standing fireball doesn't really serve a purpose when zoning.
You can hold it and wait for them to jump to release it or use it to threaten your opponent and cancel it to move in to pressure.
You'll really only be using his low fireball, it's really fast and you can still AA people with it.

Shake

Noob
How do you guys break out when someone is throwing a lot of safe/neutral strings at you? I'm new to fighting games and really struggle in situations where I'm in a corner and someone is just spamming really safe strings at me. I was told you want to use low pokes to get out but liu kangs low pokes seem so garbage is that really a viable option? I think are fastest low poke is 8 frames?

Potential yes, but he can easily be outzoned in Dragon's Fire when fighting a zoning character.
I do not really use his ia fireball. Only when I make a hard read and want to AA them.
When I'm zoning and I read they are gonna jump I delay my low fireball.

His standing fireball doesn't really serve a purpose when zoning.
You can hold it and wait for them to jump to release it or use it to threaten your opponent and cancel it to move in to pressure.
You'll really only be using his low fireball, it's really fast and you can still AA people with it.
His standing fireball is pretty decent at zoning to my knowledge, if you release 1 at a specific time you can cut the start up frames in half. In practice mode I was punishing Sub-Zero's slide so it's at the most 17 frames which is pretty decent for a mid hitting projectile right?

AssassiN

Noob
His standing fireball is pretty decent at zoning to my knowledge, if you release 1 at a specific time you can cut the start up frames in half. In practice mode I was punishing Sub-Zero's slide so it's at the most 17 frames which is pretty decent for a mid hitting projectile right?
His low starts up at 11. I don't really see the point in using the high fireball in Dragon's Fire.

I found a way to land the xray almost every time with flame fist liu kang.

once you have your opponent blocking, go with f213 into windmill punch (fbf4), and then as soon as that pressure string ends hit your xray because it is almost guaranteed that your opponent is going to try to respond as soon as the windmill punch is over

also, I know it's awfully early to be asking this but I have a local tournament in a week and want a backup char in case things go south,

has anyone been messing around with the rest of the cast and found a secondary character that compliments liu kang (flame fist) well, like by countering his counters?

liu kang will be nerfed. a lot of characters when in corner with no meter cant escape f21 f21 f21unless they have a 6 frame poke . quan for example and takeda.

Gurimmjaw

Earthrealm
Been using Liu Kang who possibly will be my main as he my favorite MK character, so have a few questions for those that are using him currently.

Between his Dragon's Fire and Flame Fist variation, which one is the best out of the two? I really like both of them a lot and tried dualist and definitely not the style variation for me.

Also does he have any good wake up options? How does he compare to MK9 Liu Kang? Just as good or better? What is everyone doing for mix ups with him?
And lastly, does he have any good AA options? The only thing I found to be an anti air is D2 and possibly B2.

Been using Liu Kang who possibly will be my main as he my favorite MK character, so have a few questions for those that are using him currently.

Between his Dragon's Fire and Flame Fist variation, which one is the best out of the two? I really like both of them a lot and tried dualist and definitely not the style variation for me.

Also does he have any good wake up options? How does he compare to MK9 Liu Kang? Just as good or better? What is everyone doing for mix ups with him?
And lastly, does he have any good AA options? The only thing I found to be an anti air is D2 and possibly B2.
Dragon's fire is probably better IMO. Access to EX air fireballs and easy midscreen confirms with BK meter burn (also Flying Kick double meter burn). Fireball delay can be run cancelled which opens up an insane pressure game (and really stylish but pointless combos). EX Instant Air Fireballs can be looped in juggles until you run out of meter for huge unbreakable damage. Flame Fist has parry and better damage while flame is active. The fast high fireball isn't that important when you have low fireball and instant air fireball anyway.

Dualist is definitely his weakest variant. It was the reason I started playing him; no other variant of another character made me as excited as the possibilities of switching between fireball types and setting traps with the orbs. Unfortunately his numbers are just under-tuned (WTH healing), Yang seems to bugged (blocking removes the damage buff) and if it's not bugged then it's just silly, the orbs take way too long to detonate and are too unsafe to place during pressure and don't cover enough space to really be threatening in the neutral game. He also doesn't have BK meter burn so lower midscreen damage and less reliable confirms. All that is before even mentioning that his light stance fireballs are much worse than his other variants' fireballs.

EX Dragon's Roar (DB2) is safe IIRC (I'm not sure on this, non EX is safe but I don't have the numbers in front of me for EX). EX Flying Kick is unsafe as hell if blocked but will get you full screen away if they go for a jump setup.

I didn't play LK in MK9 so can't really comment there. What I've been hearing is mainly "he's probably better now, but he's not as easy".

Liu's uppercut is one of the best in the game. 6 frame startup (I keep reading about a patch today that added 1 frame to everything so maybe it is 7 now I guess?) and you can combo from it depending on the height with fireballs or flying kick. B3 seems to be an okay anti-air. I haven't played around with 2 (and 22) as an anti-air enough, seems like it might work and 22 is a hard knockdown. When all else fails there's EX Flying Kick.

Dragon's fire is probably better IMO. Access to EX air fireballs and easy midscreen confirms with BK meter burn (also Flying Kick double meter burn). Fireball delay can be run cancelled which opens up an insane pressure game (and really stylish but pointless combos). EX Instant Air Fireballs can be looped in juggles until you run out of meter for huge unbreakable damage. Flame Fist has parry and better damage while flame is active. The fast high fireball isn't that important when you have low fireball and instant air fireball anyway.

Dualist is definitely his weakest variant. It was the reason I started playing him; no other variant of another character made me as excited as the possibilities of switching between fireball types and setting traps with the orbs. Unfortunately his numbers are just under-tuned (WTH healing), Yang seems to bugged (blocking removes the damage buff) and if it's not bugged then it's just silly, the orbs take way too long to detonate and are too unsafe to place during pressure and don't cover enough space to really be threatening in the neutral game. He also doesn't have BK meter burn so lower midscreen damage and less reliable confirms. All that is before even mentioning that his light stance fireballs are much worse than his other variants' fireballs.

EX Dragon's Roar (DB2) is safe IIRC (I'm not sure on this, non EX is safe but I don't have the numbers in front of me for EX). EX Flying Kick is unsafe as hell if blocked but will get you full screen away if they go for a jump setup.

I didn't play LK in MK9 so can't really comment there. What I've been hearing is mainly "he's probably better now, but he's not as easy".

Liu's uppercut is one of the best in the game. 6 frame startup (I keep reading about a patch today that added 1 frame to everything so maybe it is 7 now I guess?) and you can combo from it depending on the height with fireballs or flying kick. B3 seems to be an okay anti-air. I haven't played around with 2 (and 22) as an anti-air enough, seems like it might work and 22 is a hard knockdown. When all else fails there's EX Flying Kick.
My thoughts exactly, although I still can't see why people use BK combos when they have run meter available in dragon's fire. I feel like if they took his bicycle kick from dragon's fire and put it in dualist, both would be in a good place with accessible combos in both and good reason not to just play DF variation.

Ralenzo

Noob
I'm not feeling Liu Kang (Flame Fist), call me crazy but I actually prefer MK9 Liu Kang, he seemed to have a better mixup in that game.
His mixups in MKX is ridiculously weak, it pretty much consists of doing f+4,4 or b+2, that's it. And neither are very threatening.
Also his pressure game is almost nonexistent; f+2,1 and b+3,4 are the only strings that are 0, or maybe +1 at best, on block. But this doesn't mean shit when you're dealing with characters who have a 7-8 frame d+1, even less if it's d+3 or d+4. U can challenge their d+1 with his parry at least but not d+3 or d+4.

What were they thinking in giving Liu Kang such slow down attacks?
EDIT: except for d+2, that button is godlike.

Last edited:

kaseyk

Noob
is it me or every special move except for bicycle kicks is safe. i swear i can't punish none of his specials
Dragn roar all variation .

Ex fireball flame fist and light stance dualist .

Dragon fire only , Ex Iafb ( i think its pretty plus like 6frames if done low after a ji1 ) ,dragon kick , dragon kick mb , dragon kick double mb .

All those are safe on block .

Dragon fire Bicycle kick mb can be armored through and the 3rd fireball in the double mb fireball can be armored through but both are safe on block

Alakai

Noob
Does anyone know why EX high fireball whiffs on crouching opponents sometimes? It says its a mid but it seems random if the fireball will just go over their head whether they are blocking or not.