What's new

General/Other - Liu Kang Liu Kang Dragon's Fire & Flame Fist General Discussion

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I know I said I was all for Dragon's Fire pre-release but Flame Fist has stolen my heart.

What do you guys usually do after ending with a standing bicycle punch? I usually use b2.

kaseyk

Noob
I know I said I was all for Dragon's Fire pre-release but Flame Fist has stolen my heart.

What do you guys usually do after ending with a standing bicycle punch? I usually use b2.
depends on how the other player is going about things , b2 , b4 , ex db2 ,low fireball , rare dash throw lol so many options i even block sometimes .
im assuming were talking mid screen of course . b2 is also my go to

I'm in the same boat. Lol
After weeks of testing out Dragon's Fire and Dualist I deemed Flame Fist unviable until recently. Now I've been playing Flame Fist exclusively.

Shake

Noob
What are you guys liking in flame fist over dragons fire? For me dragons fire combos are way easier, i can get a super easy 29% off 113. It looks like flames fist can get higher at 34% but that combo looks like a bitch online. In dragons fire you can meter out of bicycle kick and get nice 41% combos with a bar, I can't think of how flame fist would even use meter in a combo? What do you guys spend your meter on in flame fist? Do you just save it for x-ray or meter burn shaolin flame? The parry seems kind of bad with an 11 flame startup but I don't really know, im still a noob.

Shufflez

Noob
I generally spend most of my meter to armour out of pressure or continue my own using dragons roar while in flame fist variation, I have to say tho after working with flame fist to begin with dragons fire just seems much easier and reliable. Do we have any safe ways of setting up shaolin flame? I had a few but even then the uptime wasn't enough to justify losing bicycle kick but the shaolin flame + windmil punch combo almost makes it worth it :D.

XAlcarazX

"Death will reveal the truth"
What are you guys liking in flame fist over dragons fire? For me dragons fire combos are way easier, i can get a super easy 29% off 113. It looks like flames fist can get higher at 34% but that combo looks like a bitch online. In dragons fire you can meter out of bicycle kick and get nice 41% combos with a bar, I can't think of how flame fist would even use meter in a combo? What do you guys spend your meter on in flame fist? Do you just save it for x-ray or meter burn shaolin flame? The parry seems kind of bad with an 11 flame startup but I don't really know, im still a noob.
parry is 3 frames the data was fixed on it

XAlcarazX

I generally spend most of my meter to armour out of pressure or continue my own using dragons roar while in flame fist variation, I have to say tho after working with flame fist to begin with dragons fire just seems much easier and reliable. Do we have any safe ways of setting up shaolin flame? I had a few but even then the uptime wasn't enough to justify losing bicycle kick but the shaolin flame + windmil punch combo almost makes it worth it :D.
the new strings on flame fist are good set ups for shaolin flame 442 is hard knockdown with push back and B342 is good string but has frame gap between 4 and 2 like 2B2's frame gap

ZOOM

Noob
Dragon punch, into Dragon punch MB is a frame trap on block, And after Dragon Punch MB allows for F4 to frame trap. So Block Pressure can keep looping (Its not a block infinite, you can escape by armoring...)
this is for the Dragon Fire Variation.

On Block
F213 Fireball Cancel F44 Dragon punch, Dragon punch MB F2, Or F3. You know what's next after.
Go to my Twitch Channel, I highlighted "Quan vs Liu kang". You can see me do this multiple times. Its legit. My twitch is twitch.tv/tapdarkness.

Dragons Fire Liu kang Is probably his best Variation, He can get in your face so hard. BF2MB bicycle kick is a frame trap, you can just stay in their Face. The only hard MU i've had a hard time with is Sub Zero. I feel Sub Zero completely Counters Liu kang.

As an addendum to what I posted in an earlier video the fireball cancel works to link off of f1. This means that anything that's -6 without pushback you get f1 fireball run cancel 113 bnb. I feel like this makes him very capable punishing with 9 frame f4 covering alot of the specials with pushback or low profile and the 5 frame jab to punish anything in close.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Dragon Fire could potentially be his best variation or right up there with dualist. His mixups, plus frames, footsies and ability to oki mid screen is something serious.
I have seen the light on Dragon Fire, but I think Dualist is his worst. Worse damage, worse pressure, and worse zoning than the other two. The fact that he has to charge his damage buff but loses it if he gets hit is a design flaw imo. The orbs aren't scary because they don't have block stun and can make unpunishable strings punishable.

AssassiN

Noob
I have seen the light on Dragon Fire, but I think Dualist is his worst. Worse damage, worse pressure, and worse zoning than the other two. The fact that he has to charge his damage buff but loses it if he gets hit is a design flaw imo. The orbs aren't scary because they don't have block stun and can make unpunishable strings punishable.
You should have made the switch to Dragon Fire sooner. I feel the exact same way about Dualist, but I'm waiting to see some gameplay/vids to see if I'm right. Low Fireball is so good in Dragon Fire + the threat of holding Fireball and canceling it to pressure someone is good as well. His Flying Kick MB to be plus and right in your face sounds too good to be true. If you have 2 bars you can chip someone out with fullscreen Enhanced Fireball MB.

In Flame Fist his high is faster and you can do more damage with the buff. But that doesn't really seem worth it when you compare it to Dragon Fire.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
You should have made the switch to Dragon Fire sooner. I feel the exact same way about Dualist, but I'm waiting to see some gameplay/vids to see if I'm right. Low Fireball is so good in Dragon Fire + the threat of holding Fireball and canceling it to pressure someone is good as well. His Flying Kick MB to be plus and right in your face sounds too good to be true. If you have 2 bars you can chip someone out with fullscreen Enhanced Fireball MB.

In Flame Fist his high is faster and you can do more damage with the buff. But that doesn't really seem worth it when you compare it to Dragon Fire.
I think FF will be really good for characters that he can just fully zone, but teleport characters or other good counter zoners I think DF is definitely the way to go and all in all a more complete variation. I do hope they nerf f213 fb cancel soon though, and I feel honestly like dragon kick mb is pretty stupid.

The fact that he loses his Dark Metamorphosis buff when hit in Dualist makes it extremely hard argue it over Flame Fist, and especially Dragon's Fire. You almost have to throw out a MB orb just to keep the opponent from hitting you out of it, but that doesn't even matter when it doesn't have block stun. I'm not ready to completely write it off though, because we're just one week into the game. But I'm going back to Dragon's Fire(which is by far the best starting out) and Flame Fist for now until I lab enough in it to feel comfortable using it in a real match.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
The fact that he loses his Dark Metamorphosis buff when hit in Dualist makes it extremely hard argue it over Flame Fist, and especially Dragon's Fire. You almost have to throw out a MB orb just to keep the opponent from hitting you out of it, but that doesn't even matter when it doesn't have block stun. I'm not ready to completely write it off though, because we're just one week into the game. But I'm going back to Dragon's Fire(which is by far the best starting out) and Flame Fist for now until I lab enough in it to feel comfortable using it in a real match.
I think that that the damage buff will probably get fixed in a patch, because I can't believe that him losing the damage buff by getting hit is meant by design. If/When it does get fixed (and Dragon's Fire probably gets nerfed) I'll go in on Dualist , but until then I don't see the point. I think light form is just throw away as well.

I think that that the damage buff will probably get fixed in a patch, because I can't believe that him losing the damage buff by getting hit is meant by design. If/When it does get fixed (and Dragon's Fire probably gets nerfed) I'll go in on Dualist , but until then I don't see the point. I think light form is just throw away as well.
That's what I'm saying! I had no idea he lost his buff as soon as he got until mid match yesterday and I immediately switched out to Dragon's Fire. It's not even worth it. People can just EX wakeup and hit you out of it or just plain poke/counter-poke you and it's gone if you're not careful. There's just nothing scary about this variation at the moment compared to the others.

Edit: And I wish there was a way you could just change to Dark during the introduction like you could with Cyber and Human Smoke in UMK3. You have to open people up or knock them down to get to the real variation.

XAlcarazX

there is already a counter for his EX bicycle kick if you let go of block and are crouching his last 3 or 2 hits whiff for a full combo punish. imo all DF has is his solid dmg and fire ball cancel over the rest in this variation

AssassiN

Noob
there is already a counter for his EX bicycle kick if you let go of block and are crouching his last 3 or 2 hits whiff for a full combo punish. imo all DF has is his solid dmg and fire ball cancel over the rest in this variation
Against what character did you test this?
Because going from Flyining Kick to Bicycle Kick lowers him and all hits are a high.

XAlcarazX

Against what character did you test this?
Because going from Flyining Kick to Bicycle Kick lowers him and all hits are a high.
only works on low hitbox characters, females im guessing was told this was confirmed already

kaseyk

Noob
I think FF will be really good for characters that he can just fully zone, but teleport characters or other good counter zoners I think DF is definitely the way to go and all in all a more complete variation. I do hope they nerf f213 fb cancel soon though, and I feel honestly like dragon kick mb is pretty stupid.
FF has a parry that counters teleport and a ton of other pressure and specials .
damage is comparable across all 3 variations with dualist having the highest but most difficult to land but bnb wise same same .
B12 is a great wakeup shutdown string .

FF i feel beats sub . DF goes even and dualist loses to him .

And to set up fire hands there's lots of ways to set it up example 113-34-f44-dd1ex run in b12 gets fire hands and shuts down most wakeups.

Ps only a bit of this was directed to the quote

what should i use against crossups? sub zero just jump raped me with his kick. tried neutral jumps, 1s, backdashes.

CG Nino

Noob
hey guys,

new to the forums, im maining dragon fire liu kang and thought id add what I feel can be big for liu. I haven't seen anyone else post this but you can lower the start up frames on his bf1 standing fb by double tapping 1.

This makes his "19 frame" fb more like his low fb around 14 frames, havent been able to frame skip but I did do a video shooting multiple fireballs with varying speeds and it def feels much faster, this trick if allowed to continue essentially gives liu 3 mid fbs at varying speeds, bf11 (fast) bf1 (medium) bf1hold(slow)

:)

Last edited:
It's not the tap making it release faster. It's timing the release of the button on the first possible frame. Try holding 1 until the moment there is fire in his hands. You'll get used to the exact timing for the fastest release.