What's new

Li Mei General Discussion

I wanted to start counterpoking with ex db3 since you can convert it to big damage and d1 sometimes whiffs due to pushback but noticed timing Scorpion was really finicky. Then I realized hitting a crouching opponent with db3 launches them at a lower angle. First part of the clip is landing a regular db3 on both standing and crouching. Second part is ex db3 on standing and crouching. For both versions you can see Kitana ends up lower in the air when hit crouching.
This makes it really tight/impossible to land Scorpion depending on the spacing and almost impossible to land a lantern except at point blank if they were crouching when you hit. I thought reversal ex db3 on pokes would be the wave but now I doubt it if this is the hit reaction for blocked pokes. Would this qualify as asking for a buff or can I just consider it a QOL change so I feel better about myself for asking for buffs lol. If anyone is able to land ex db3 ~ Scorpion into lantern on crouching consistently and I just suck please let me know.

rifraf

Noob
At the beginning I wasn't sure but now I'm confident in saying Li Mei is a mid-screen zoner. Not a pure zoner, but a zoner nonetheless.
  1. She has one of the best projectiles in the game, only behind Reiko's stars.
  2. She controls the air with lantern.
  3. Her bf4 is an excellent move to catch players off guard from afar.
  4. Her f3 is literally a zoners tool.
  5. Her instant air db4 can also be a decent zoning tool.
All in all, I'd say she's a mid-screen zoner with good up-close and far away game that excels in controlling mid-screen.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
At the beginning I wasn't sure but now I'm confident in saying Li Mei is a mid-screen zoner. Not a pure zoner, but a zoner nonetheless.
  1. She has one of the best projectiles in the game, only behind Reiko's stars.
  2. She controls the air with lantern.
  3. Her bf4 is an excellent move to catch players off guard from afar.
  4. Her f3 is literally a zoners tool.
  5. Her instant air db4 can also be a decent zoning tool.
All in all, I'd say she's a mid-screen zoner with good up-close and far away game that excels in controlling mid-screen.
What is the best kameo?

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
What is the best kameo?
For projectile zoning, Kung Lao.

For conversions, and making her 50/50s punishing, scorpion. Gives her punishing fast reversal, launching 50/50s, launching advancing special.

Against other zoners, sub zero.

With Kung Lao, low hat makes them block bf1 and allows you time to set up lantern.

If you’re using scop and they’re gonna try and duck the high projectile, they’ll get caught by bf4, which is 40+ damage.

Scorp and sub zero make your conversions 400+.

I’ve been saying for a while that Li Mei is a decent zoner in this game.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Li Mei cyrax is good, but scorpion and Kung Lao generally offer more. Cyrax gives pressure and plugs gaps, but midscreen conversions aren’t as good as with scorpion, and zoning isn’t as good as Kung Lao.

Definitely top 5 kameo for Li Mei though.

Li Mei cyrax is good, but scorpion and Kung Lao generally offer more. Cyrax gives pressure and plugs gaps, but midscreen conversions aren’t as good as with scorpion, and zoning isn’t as good as Kung Lao.

Definitely top 5 kameo for Li Mei though.
Midscreen conversions with Cyrax are lacking but it definitely pays off in spades in the corner, 1 bar 50% combos? Yes please. In my low level opinion, I'd choose Cyrax or Lao before Scorpion because I value the ability to plug gaps and keep plus frames over being able to convert anywhere on the screen.

rifraf

Noob
Midscreen conversions with Cyrax are lacking but it definitely pays off in spades in the corner, 1 bar 50% combos? Yes please. In my low level opinion, I'd choose Cyrax or Lao before Scorpion because I value the ability to plug gaps and keep plus frames over being able to convert anywhere on the screen.
Scorpion is certainly the fun pick since he mainly gives Li Mei more damage and cool combos but very little utility. KL is the more competitive pick since he's enhancing her gameplay in general.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
They have comparable damage in the corner.

I find having actual scary 50/50s and a threatening bf4 to be more valuable, but I can see why Cyrax is good for her.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Li Mei just got a huge stealth buff.

You can now call an ambush Kameo on the same frame as inputting an ex special.

This means you can input ex db3 reversal into scorpion kameo as:
d, b, 3+u+block+kameo

It will come out reliably every time. Even in neutral. Omg I’m so excited

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
Haven't found any Li Mei changes except for the fact that I feel like Lantern floats faster. Not the startup but the speed of which it floats across the screen.

Did 4321 EX Nova blast, j214 db4 always do 34.85%?

Need to compare with my old videos but all my recordings are at the office

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Haven't found any Li Mei changes except for the fact that I feel like Lantern floats faster. Not the startup but the speed of which it floats across the screen.

Did 4321 EX Nova blast, j214 db4 always do 34.85%?

Need to compare with my old videos but all my recordings are at the office
Yeah, I’m pretty sure it did. I don’t think they touched her damage at all.

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile

Guy posted this on another forum. Have you guys encountered this?
Yes, when one lantern fizzles you can set your next. The first still has collision for a moment so your lanterns can collide. Come down as a high gravity popup. Happened since Beta.

rifraf

Noob
One thing I noticed but I'm unsure if true is db3 animation feels a bit faster to me, making the move a bit easier to combo off from.

Edit: db3 and EXdb3 state 28 and 24 respectively for frames of hit advantage in the moves list, but it's actually 48 for the regular and 44 for the EX. Probably why the move feels easier to combo from.

Last edited:

rifraf

Noob
Looking at the Moves List, there are some interesting things I've noticed.

EXdb3 writes in the notes that it is unbreakable during first use in a kombo, which I don't know if it was always like that but I did test it and it works as mentioned.
EXbf4 also writes that is unbreakable in a kombo, which I also found is the case after testing.
airdb4 and EXairdb4 both have completely different frame data in the moves list compared to in-game. The notes state 11 frames of startup for both but it's actually 10, and -17 frames block advantage for both but it's actually -13 for the regular and -6 for the EX, so essentially unchanged from what it was before the patch :coffee:

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
One thing I noticed but I'm unsure if true is db3 animation feels a bit faster to me, making the move a bit easier to combo off from.
It’s not faster, but you can simultaneously call your kameo now so it’s much easier to combo from.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Fun fact: during Raidens F34 string (the double kick) you can interrupt it with reversal. In result both sides get knock down but if you are fast enough you can dash in and confirm F4 follow up into BF4.

I'm guessing this may apply to other gap in the strings. If so, it changes a lot because Li does not have Scorpion follow up from exBF4.

Kyu

CHOO CHOO BANE TRAIN
Is there a secret to making multiple lanterns happen because I can’t seem to make it work in convos with scope or sub