What's new

Li Mei General Discussion

rifraf

Noob
Feels like you have to chase her
If Li Mei's EXfireball hit mid from full/mid-screen, that wouldn't be a big issue. But I digress.

I think Li Mei is better up-close but you need to be patient with Kitana's shenanigans. Also, make sure you don't cancel your backdash too soon against her, otherwise you'll get caught to her advancing strings.

Also what is the point in any of her plus frames when her fastest mid is 12 frames and leads to nothing? Cant even backdash and whiff punish characters like kitana cause her d3 reaches half screen. I have no idea what her gameplan is once you find someone who knows the Matchup
She can't just machine gun mids to enforce. She has to use a combination of d4, backdash b3/b2, ia db4, and reversal ex db3. d4 if you want low commitment/frame trap/set up other stuff, backdash b3/b2 if you read d1 or jab interrupt, ia db4 if you read something that beats backdash (d3/d4/other far reaching lows), and block -> reversal ex db3 if you know they're gonna poke and have the resources to combo. The threat of losing 400-500 for guessing wrong once on defense can help open up other stuff. I can't really see her having horrible matchups since her gameplan (assuming Scorpion kameo) is basically just "touch the opponent twice" and it's pretty hard to shut that down. Sure there are some characters that can make getting the touches a little harder but her tools are good enough that if you play solid you can always win. Even if you're down, her robbery factor is pretty high due to big damage + unbreakable shenanigans and she can just kill out of nowhere in the right game states.

Wigy

There it is...
What about li mei is notably good?

her projectile is decent
Damage is insane
7f punisher
Some plus frames to work with
Latern is very strong
Armour is decent.

But..

Her pokes are not great especially d1
Her normal antiairs are awful
Literally every string riddled with gaps
Probably stubbiest character in the game.
No useful hitconfirmable mid.
Jump ins very average.

played a lot of the roster but since i started on her im just like wtf is she meant to do?

Wigy

There it is...
She's a jack of all trades kind of character.

Also, her dmg is quite low. Not everyone uses or should use Scorpion kameo.
how is she a jack of all trades though?

Shes bottom of the barrel in numerous things and outstanding in very few.

rifraf

Noob
how is she a jack of all trades though?

Shes bottom of the barrel in numerous things and outstanding in very few.
She can zone from full screen with her fireball and lantern.
She can zone from mid screen with db3, fireball, iadb4, f4, f3, b2, and even bf4
Up-close, she has some decent frames.

Although she doesn't excel in any of the above, she does have a fighting chance in the vast majority of situations.

Wigy

There it is...
She can zone from full screen with her fireball and lantern.
She can zone from mid screen with db3, fireball, iadb4, f4, f3, b2, and even bf4
Up-close, she has some decent frames.

Although she doesn't excel in any of the above, she does have a fighting chance in the vast majority of situations.
I dont think that describes a jack of all trades. Shes servicable in some areas and absolute dogshit in a number of important ones. IDK she seems to be the weakest of the cast ive played properly outside quan but my friend i play against a lot has characters who dont give a fuck about zoning and have long reach normals which seems to be death combo for li mei

Wigy

There it is...
You know, maybe I'm upselling her a bit :laughing::(
yeah i'd be curious to see if anyone on here could make a case for her not being bottom 5.

I keep seeing shes meant to be good but ive never had such issues making a character work

Last edited:

rifraf

Noob
yeah i'd be curious to see if anyone on here could make a case for her not being bottom 5.

I keep seeing shes meant to be good but ive never had such issues making a character work
Come on man, she's not bottom 5 :laughing: I won't try making a case why though :D

Wigy

There it is...
You've got to work to win with her. She ain't Raiden or Kenshi, that's for sure :D
man i feel like im taking crazy pills, everything in her kit screams like handicap, as if another part of her kits is bananas but they just forgot to put in the broken thing. I literally cant think of one thing she is good at?

What about li mei is notably good?
(Everything is assuming scorpion kameo)
her projectile is decent
Way above average imo. Great recovery and gives her some screen presence outside sweep distance without having to commit to bf4

Some plus frames to work with
Not much else to say here that hasn't already been said. Her offense revolves around using her plus frames to open up anything that's gonna make them explode. Sometimes you just have to make the read on offense to get there.

Latern is very strong
Probably her neutral-defining move. It's kinda like a KL low hat but in the air and also it's a huge damage starter. The more I play her the more I'm thinking this is her most important move. Not just for like stopping jumps (or other random moves/kameos) but for how much easier it is for her to play neutral when she has a lantern up. If she gets one out, it significantly reduces the mental stack she has to worry about in neutral and you can basically start exclusively looking for
A. something to whiff punish to hit them into the lantern (on top of regular starters, db3 is so good in this situation)
or
B. a moment they stay still to pull up on them and land any hit into the lantern
without having to worry about the various options these would lose to since lantern is shutting all of that down.

Damage is insane
7f punisher
Armour is decent.
Her secret sauce basically. The big damage + 7f punisher + big damage off a 7f frame punisher have her doing stuff most of the cast isn't doing. I'm including her armor (which is average) here because these tools make her defense elite. She's kinda playing that MK9 style counterpoke game since she's one of the few to full combo a blocked poke and definitely getting the most damage out of everyone from that. This makes her objectively scary to pressure because she can take half your life with one good read on defense. This doesn't even have to be her blocking a poke either. Her challenging, jumping, or even ia exd4ing out means you have one mistake to make the rest of the round if you're not dead. Having a lantern out makes her defense even better because an ex db3 into a lantern does so much damage that if you didn't die from the combo, she's so far ahead and probably not losing that round. And even if you want to be a hero and stuff her ex db3 she has armor for a get-off-me.
Her pokes are not great especially d1
Big disagree here. I think her grounded neutral being super solid is a result of all her pokes being at least usable if not good. d1 is average but she generally has other things she'd rather be doing than d1 in most situations. d3 is a little above average since it has some nice range and some aa capabilities but again she has other stuff she would rather be doing at that range. b4 is super good. 0 on block or +1 if spaced with very good range and speed. d4 is obivously her star poke. Safe, awesome range, whiff punishes other pokes on reaction, starts her offense if it lands etc. Instant overhead threat means she can also run a MK9 Smoke style offense if that's your thing. Scare them into blocking the overhead and just d4 them to death. Another normal that deserves mention here is s4. I honestly think it's stupid good. +3 on block, big range, pushback, whiff punishes s1 or jab strings, checks dash ups, all while leading to a huge starter. I just think this move has so much going for it. If you're not using it, you should be.

Her normal antiairs are awful
Literally every string riddled with gaps
Probably stubbiest character in the game.
No useful hitconfirmable mid.
Jump ins very average.
This isn't meant to be targeted shade or anything like that, just wanted to address the general perceptions of the character most seem to have, but I think these are the most like "elementary" criticisms of her kit most people had from day 1 that aren't causing any serious issues now. Especially the stubbiness/gaps/lack of mids stuff. Her aa normals aren't elite or anything like that but s1 and s4 both work at the right ranges/angles. Also she has lantern and db3/ex db3 acts as a pseudo dp so it's not like she'es getting jumped on all the time. Her jump ins probably are average but I've never considered it an issue since her ground game is strong so she has other stuff to do besides jump. The gaps do exist and it can suck to get mashed/armored out when you're trying to cook but in my mind, if you have them doing that then you have them guessing, which is what opens up her explosive touches. Just gotta use the right counterplay. The stubbiness accusation matters in exactly one meaningful scenario I think which is having 12(4) whiff after only landing the second hit. Other than that she has a move for every situation. If you're trying to get by with just 12 than yea you're gonna feel like she has no range. It's a jab string. The "no good mids" thing is crazy to me. Like I thought this the first week I was playing the character but then I realized I was dumb. Yea her mids suck if you try to machinegun them during pressure. You're just gonna get mashed out or whatever since they're both double digit startup. So maybe they're not for that? Then you chunk them for 500 after walking back on a poke and see why it's helpful that both her mids are back + button. b2 even has a little Dudley-esque step back on startup if it's not obvious what this is designed for. They both have a bunch of things going for them and are pretty integral to her game so it's wild for me to see them being called "not useful". Not hitconfirmable =/= not useful.

Ultimately I think her tools are incredibly solid but she still takes a little bit of effort to win with. It's hard for me to see how a character wtihout giagantic flaws can be considered bottom 5 so I definitely don't believe that but she doesn't have anything real cheap or braindead so if that's what you're looking for, maybe look somewhere else. Pilot's neutral/offense/defense all has to be solid along with good matchup knowledge (for reversal punishes) to win consistently. What I can say is it feels really rewarding to land her sick stuff as the gameplan becomes more refined. She's definitely one of the most fun and interesting characters I've played in any game in a while.

Wigy

There it is...
The glaring issue i find is some characters are clearly designed around their zoning. But if someone with great normals and no zoning puts on a particular kameo your zoning gets shut down badly. Then youre a character with no range on anything, no mid check, gaps in everything, only good string 124 bugs out and whiffs constantly on hit. Also god her d1 is barely useable trash, amount of time i block a d1 do a d1 and it whiffs point blank and i eat 40%

I do not know what im meant to do in matchups where they have lots of range and good pressure and give no fucks about zoning. Kitana matchup feels fucking brutal.

This isnt a hostile scree, i know shes held reasonably high in the tier list, genuinely cannot see why. Ive played about 6-7 characters quite a lot and the only one with comparable issues is quan.

Last edited:

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
She's a jack of all trades kind of character.

Also, her dmg is quite low. Not everyone uses or should use Scorpion kameo.
This is not true.
Her damage is good with most kameos.

Khameleon, scorpion, Frost, Sub Zero, Kung Lao, Sonya, all have her breaking decent damage.
I’m not sure where you’re getting this from.
She’s literally one of the highest damage characters in the game…

Li Mei is an incredibly solid character. She’s nowhere near the bottom 5.

The below are assuming you’re using either scorpion or khameleon, but she works well it’s plenty of kameos.

Notable pros:
Movement speed + dashes
Very strong stagger and plus frames
Very high damage
Strong damaging 50/50s
One of the best punishes in the game.
Good projectile game
Decent space control game with lanterns
Half screen advancing punish with bf4
Multiple ways to change jump arc.

Cons:
Footsie range she doesn’t have much outside d4 and f4
Armour is a bit lack-luster, but serviceable
Gaps can be frustrating (but khameleon and other kameos can cover these).

She has pretty much everything you’d want in a character. She’s solid all around. In which aspects do you find yourself typically struggling?

Try utilising d4 more as your poke or choice. d1 only really works as a check. Back dashing to bait things and whiff punishing is also really satisfying. Jump back db4 is also a good option.

Kitana is a bit of an odd matchup. With khameleon I find activating jade and try to get in to abuse pressure is usually the best option. You can get stuck in this frustrating loop with kitana where you’re trying to counter poke, but reacting too late and getting whiff punished; don’t play that game. You can either d4 which has more reach, chase them down, or just nope out of there and try and whiff punish them.

rifraf

Noob
She’s literally one of the highest damage characters in the game…
I strongly disagree with this statement. Straight up. We might be playing different games since I usually fight against Raiden, Kenshi, Geras, etc. with easy >40% combos with NO kameo. While Li Mei is apparently married to Scorpion to hit similar lvls of dmg.

My statement was made while considering Li Mei as a stand alone character. Raw dmg output if you like. She has quite low compared to most of the cast.

Wigy

There it is...
@Pan1cMode

Can you elaborate on 50/50s

her stagger game looked good at first but she has nothing to capitalise on her plus frames mid wise and her buttons to whiff punish are shit.

i would need to change special cancel input window to short to let me backdash into f4 which is maybe worth trying. B3 is fucking dogshit for whiff punishing, slow as fuck no range and second hit comes out so slowly so if it whiffs youre dead.

anyone in EU who plays her want a set? I’ve never had an impression so far from the consensus. Played a mileena and her s1 d1 just delete any of my normals from existing.

Also once again, i know i could be dogshit with her and completely wrong, genuinely trying to understand haha

Helpful comment.

It is both undeniably slow and short range?
and yet somehow it's fast enough to whiff punish every poke/almost every string while advancing from past sweep distance AND being her highest damage practical starter AND being anywhere from +3 to +5 on block. just because you can't do it doesn't mean it's not possible

Wigy

There it is...
and yet somehow it's fast enough to whiff punish every poke/almost every string while advancing from past sweep distance AND being her highest damage practical starter AND being anywhere from +3 to +5 on block. just because you can't do it doesn't mean it's not possible
I do occasionally use it successfully but comparative to other character whiff punishes, not good.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
I strongly disagree with this statement. Straight up. We might be playing different games since I usually fight against Raiden, Kenshi, Geras, etc. with easy >40% combos with NO kameo. While Li Mei is apparently married to Scorpion to hit similar lvls of dmg.

My statement was made while considering Li Mei as a stand alone character. Raw dmg output if you like. She has quite low compared to most of the cast.
What is Raiden’s damage without kameo? Kenshi’s high damage all use sento which is essentially a kameo.

Li Mei’s damage is great with multiple Kameos, not just scorpion. Which kameo are you using that you can’t hit 40% plus?

Looking at a character without their kameo is silly in a game like this. It’s like saying “Raiden is so unsafe without kameo” - because he’s never unsafe with kameo.

If Li Mei only had good damage with a single kameo I might concede, but she’s got great damage with sub zero, frost, Kung Lao, khameleon, sonya, cyrax - probably with others too but I just haven’t used them much. What more do you want?

@Pan1cMode

Can you elaborate on 50/50s

her stagger game looked good at first but she has nothing to capitalise on her plus frames mid wise and her buttons to whiff punish are shit.

i would need to change special cancel input window to short to let me backdash into f4 which is maybe worth trying. B3 is fucking dogshit for whiff punishing, slow as fuck no range and second hit comes out so slowly so if it whiffs youre dead.

anyone in EU who plays her want a set? I’ve never had an impression so far from the consensus. Played a mileena and her s1 d1 just delete any of my normals from existing.

Also once again, i know i could be dogshit with her and completely wrong, genuinely trying to understand haha
f4 and iadb4 are unreactable safe(ish) 50/50s that lead to great damage (with scorpion) or decent damage depending on which kameo you use.

You can utilise her mobility, b2, d4, d1 to enforce plus frames. Her stagger game is one of the better ones in the game

Last edited:

Wigy

There it is...
What is Raiden’s damage without kameo? Kenshi’s high damage all use sento which is essentially a kameo.

Li Mei’s damage is great with multiple Kameos, not just scorpion. Which kameo are you using that you can’t hit 40% plus?

Looking at a character without their kameo is silly in a game like this. It’s like saying “Raiden is so unsafe without kameo” - because he’s never unsafe with kameo.

If Li Mei only had good damage with a single kameo I might concede, but she’s got great damage with sub zero, frost, Kung Lao, khameleon, sonya, cyrax - probably with others too but I just haven’t used them much. What more do you want?

f4 and iadb4 are unreactable safe(ish) 50/50s that lead to great damage (with scorpion) or decent damage depending on which kameo you use.

You can utilise her mobility, b2, d4, d1 to enforce plus frames. Her stagger game is one of the better ones in the game
b2 doesnt beat any pokes except off b34 if i remember correctly and d1 gets backdash whiff punished. My friend backdashes after 12 a lot so ive had to blind confirm 124bf1 and on reaction scorpion kameo to catch him disrespecting the last hit.

Fair enough, need to use iadb4 more, do you use it on OKI mostly? I find trying to get it out in neutral except after a d4 on hit very dicey.

What scenarios do you not use scorpion?

im guna try ram more 50/50s out and use b2 ex bf1 more as a blind check.

How do you generally approach a character like kitana?

much appreciated for advice anyways man.

Last edited: