What's new

Levitation (the good, the bad, the ugly) discuss

kaizt

Noob
im completely at a loss here. anybody know how it works?

you can move with dash, land with block and shoot. but then all of a sudden i cant shoot anymore and i have no idea why.

BATFIM

Noob
yup, the stance seems to be very buggy. While fighting against Shao Kahn in ladder on right I was able to go in the air and shoot the high fireball as many times as I wanted without having to comedown, but when I did that on left side I would come down immediately after firing. And the sometimes if you mess around with the directionals before firing in air, you won't be able to shoot unless you first dash in some direction.

But even if the stance worked, I'm still sceptic about its whole usefulness.

went and tested some things out with this to see whats what. it seems to get hit by all the tele-punches. avoids nightwolfs arrow and ermacs green ball and scorps spear but gets hit by subs ice and reptiles spit and noobs shadow tackle. gets hit by ermacs tk slam and choke. avoids nightwolfs lightning, scorps hellfire,and noobs dark hole, also nightwolfs shoulder charge and reptiles.thats all i did for now. still cant see much use yet.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
nice stuff darth.

yea sometimes while in the air and you do the notations right and yet no fireball comes out. kind of annoying. needs to be fixed along with her scream.

once in the air just tap up to stay in the air if you want to do more then one fireball

best thing about the move Is to build meter and do extremely instant air fireballs.

so do d d u d f fp or fk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eh I don't really like fight mode in MK9. It feels clunky as hell especially when flying left and right...it's just awkward. You guys are right, sometimes fb doesn't come out and sometimes she doesn't move in flight at all.

~NAKM~

Tekken, SF4: AE, BB: CP, and Persona 4: Arena
Is there a way to combo from it after she shoots a fireball and lands automatically after it? Like maybe in the corner? Sorry, I'm trying to implement Akuma/Ibuki tactics into this, LOL.

Malec

Noob
no you cant combo out of it at all. the only good use for levitate is to build meter by instant canceling it, d,d,u~blk

Neclord

Noob
Honestly, I never use Levitation. It is too unsafe.
It is much better to jump cancel into air fireball imo.

From my (admittedly somewhat limited) experimentation, if you wait for the full flight animation to finish then you can fireball and dash as much as you like. If you interrupt part of the flight animation then the fireball will cause you to drop afterwards.

The animation is quite a lot longer than you might expect.

No idea as yet what the deal is when you enter flight mode and can't do anything but cancel afterwards though, I think I get that when I try instant fly fireball but mess it up somehow.

KingofSarus

Fight Fire with Fire
I don't understand Levitate AT ALL... so I don't use it.

I wish it was faster (at the start and maybe in the air) and less buggy with the stupid ass "I'll shoot fireballs whenever I feel like it *yawn*" bullshit. :rant:

Ermac Dre

AKA SaikyoStyle
The Sindel Guide thread says that Levitate has invincibility if used as a wakeup move. I know that Levitate can be immediately canceled into guard, so would doing a wakeup Levitate into guard right away work as some sort of wakeup dodge?

C.Viper in SF4 can do something like wakeup EX Seismo ~ Feint as a wakeup dodge, so I was wondering if it can be applied the same way for Sindel and her Levitate.

Diend

Noob
The Sindel Guide thread says that Levitate has invincibility if used as a wakeup move. I know that Levitate can be immediately canceled into guard, so would doing a wakeup Levitate into guard right away work as some sort of wakeup dodge?

C.Viper in SF4 can do something like wakeup EX Seismo ~ Feint as a wakeup dodge, so I was wondering if it can be applied the same way for Sindel and her Levitate.
I can never pull the Levitate Invicibility into block off. The opponent can still attack through it if you block to cancel it. Tested this with a friend but feel free to try it.

Ermac Dre

AKA SaikyoStyle
I can never pull the Levitate Invicibility into block off. The opponent can still attack through it if you block to cancel it. Tested this with a friend but feel free to try it.
Can't test it because all my MK friends live 100 miles away :(

Thanks for helping a brother out testing it for me haha. It would have been a pretty good technique if it did work.

Aikou

Noob
Does anyone use levitate to cancel into air fireball really low to the ground?
that's the only use I've found for it so far is that I'm able to cancel into an air fireball much lower than if I were to simply jump cancel the air fireball

That's one of the things I noticed you can do, but honestly if you do instant air fireballs manually it will still put more fireballs on screen.

One thing I've thought about is conditioning, say after a knockdown, with doing instant air fireballs within a medium range of the opponent, like within hairwhip range. Once you've done that and he's expecting you to do an IAF, you can do the levitate cancel into hair whip, or something a long those lines. Might work just because the opponent will likely react to you "jumping" when it's really a levitate into cancel. Even if he blocks it, that move is super safe so you're still good.

Beyond that the only other possibility I could think of it is for meter building, but even then doing IAF's builds quite a bit more. Also the move likes to bug out which doesn't help in it's usefulness.

Urichinan

@Urichinan
I'm working on a video soon showcasing some of the uses she has with her Levitate. It should be done within a few days.

xQCBx

HxC Femme-Fatale
Using levitation in your playstyle is a very good addition to have.

It's useful for the following.

-Invincibility: On wake-up and in certain moments, I've experienced my opponents attack(s) whiffing.
I wish I had an exact frame count, or a more specific idea in which these frames are active. But I haven't the frama data or the extensive knowledge of it, seeing as I can't practice against the cpu in a controlled eviornment.

-Building meter: You can cancel the levitation directly into a high/low block. Giving you a bit of meter. You can perform this by pressing d,d,d,u+BL

-Mind games: Knowing how to levitate cancel can help tremendously in certain situations, believe it or not.
While zoning with sindel you can add the levitate into the pattern you're using to zone your opponent. If you think your opponent might punish you, or you just want to confuse them even further. Levitate cancel into a special attack most likely being a fireball or hair whip. This can keep youre opponent guessing and very cautious.

-Baiting: You can casually levitate and punish attempts to attack you, with fireballs depening on the distance.
Sometimes you can levitate, dash, and punish opponents who teleport or whiff an attack.
More commonly though, you'll find yourself fighting characters with teleports or specials that can be punished easily. Some not so much like Kung Lao's hat.
--Levi-cancel vs Teleports--
If you're opponent see's your attempt to levitate, them might try to teleport. When this happens you can immediately cancel it and punish them according to the situation or the property of the teleport. Against KJung Lao you might just want to Uppercut, where as on characters like cyrax you can pull off a full standing combo. Or punish with a 2,1, df+4 mixup.

--Levi-cancel vs Parries--
This is all too common vs Johny cage players seeing as they have an parry x-ray.
when rushing down, mixing-up or attemting to punish. You can switch it up and bait a parry for a free punish.
Levi-cancel when you have a good idea they are going to parry and they will mistake this as an attack. While you can normaly do this by stance switching which is also nice for baiting parries. levi-canceling can be canceled out of strings, able you to block just incase it's not a parry you've baiting. Making it nice and safe. If you do manage to bait an parry or attack then you depening on circumstance you earned yourself a free combo.

--Levi-cancel vs Projectiles-
It's ver common that you'll fight an opponent with projectiles.
Weither trading projectiles or trying to punish, you can simply cancel and block a high projectile, or duck it. cancel and block a low, or jump it. or cancel and punish with a jump fireball, df+4, or hair whip depending on character and more importantly distance.

-Pressure: I've yet to see a Sindel player do this.
Usually when you're in someones face with Sindel, it can seem like your moves have slow recovery or that you can't keep them locked down anymore than 3 to 5 seconds. What i sometimes do is in the middle of combo strings levi-cancel and continue adding pressure. It's not as good as Kabal's combo into a run, cancel, repeat. But even though your opponent does have a chance to get away, punishig you will be tricky for them.
If they don't manage to move and you keep them locked down. you can follow up with a df+4, or 2,1, df+3 string. To be practical of course. You can follow up mutiples ways. But I find those most helpful.

Hope this helps.
I'm sure there might be more to do with it, but we'll see.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
good stuff this is how i been using her and its pretty much how she should be played over all. flight cancel mix ups upclose is good stuff.. i stupidly only found out about it the other day when reo made me aware of it so im still working on perfecting it..

Zebster

How's my volume?
Don't worry about it. I had asked Tom if Sindel's levitate was going to be fixed because of some comments I read about a week ago from one of the Sindel threads saying that the levitation didn't seem to work correctly (may have been this one + another thread). He had mentioned it was being fixed, but then after watching the Silent and Tom Brady show DanCock said that it wasn't bugged, so I don't really know.

xQCBx

HxC Femme-Fatale
Sindel doesn't need anymore nerfs. It's bad enough she can't combo into her scream as easily anymore.
I say leave her be.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
Don't worry about it. I had asked Tom if Sindel's levitate was going to be fixed because of some comments I read about a week ago from one of the Sindel threads saying that the levitation didn't seem to work correctly (may have been this one + another thread). He had mentioned it was being fixed, but then after watching the Silent and Tom Brady show DanCock said that it wasn't bugged, so I don't really know.
so they did answer my question about sindels wake up attacks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zebster

How's my volume?
Well they answered every question in the question threads so if that question was in there then YES. You'll just have to check the show (1st two hours of the show is them answering questions) to find it because I don't remember everything that was said.