What's new

Breakthrough Lets Be Serious Here About Deathstroke

Vagrant

Noob
Over the past few weeks DS has been one of the most controversial characters in IGAU. Some people swear he is the best in the game "becuzz of hizz spamm broo" and demand he be nerfed, others claim once you get past his zoning he is bottom of the barrel.

You're both wrong.

Lets look at his tools.

Very strong full screen/half screen space control (lowgs, iags, exlowgs)

Great Footsies

Solid dash and backdash speed

Good meterless combo damage

Solid corner pressure (He's no doomsday but he has plenty of guessing games to choose from)

7 frame string that leads to +9 (f23)

A great jump in/crossover tool (ji3)

Solid anti air that leads to hard knock down (Sword flip)

One of the best f3's in the entire game that leads to +10 (when metered this thing is absolutely insane and you better watch for it while your weaving in and out of those bullets cause it's comin son...)

Unsafe trait (Startup and cooldown outweigh the pros of this thing)

Solid 50/50's (B2, f3, d1, b1,) they don't all lead to big damage but they all can lead to hard knockdown

Very strong and unique string in 132 (2 is actually a gun shot that will hit opponent from a distance, hella negative unless you follow up with 3 though)

I'm on the fence about his wakeup (spin) its incosistent against crossups but when connected can be hit confirm, mb'd into low gs to reset the opponents space from you. It's invincible for the most part

Distinct mental advantage against most players. (No one is saying "Man I hope I get a deathstroke in my pool") his zoning also forces alot of players to lose their composure and do stupid shit.

Overall man, factoring the current metagame of IGAU and the way these chars are being played I think Deathstroke could be anywhere from #3 to like maybe #7 in terms of character strength. I have not found a single matchup with him that can't be overcome with good reads and good decision making.

He's a great character. He has the right tools to excel in this game and it's up to the player to use them. He's definitely viable and should be prepared for by anyone wanting to make it out of pools alive. But I don't think he's OP nor do I think once you get in on him that all of the sudden he just turns into a fish. GTFO with that shit.

Feel free to discuss your opinion this characters viability/ where he stands vs. the rest of the roster. Please be reasonable and don't use your online matches against shitty Deathstrokes as talking points.

Amadeous

Noob
I tend to think in the middle.

Deathstroke is a very strong character. His rushdown and zoning are both solid. His is not one to be trifled with.

People just overreact with the "spamming" complaints.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I think Deathstroke is very very solid, but I do think he is overhyped. I don't exactly have an easy time against him, but I also just don't play many deathstrokes. He has very solid tools but I don't think he really has anything that OP.

Vagrant

Noob
I think Deathstroke is very very solid, but I do think he is overhyped. I don't exactly have an easy time against him, but I also just don't play many deathstrokes. He has very solid tools but I don't think he really has anything that OP.
The fact that he has tools for every spot on the screen with no significant weaknesses is pretty OPish. But I don't think to the point of being unfair. Are you coming to UFGT? I can run the MU with you as long as you want.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
The fact that he has tools for every spot on the screen with no significant weaknesses is pretty OPish. But I don't think to the point of being unfair. Are you coming to UFGT? I can run the MU with you as long as you want.
I wish I could man, but money has been tight ever since FR, and I'm trying to save up for CEO as well. ;__; I really had my heart set on UFGT though. I wanted to be somebody.

Vagrant

Noob
I wish I could man, but money has been tight ever since FR, and I'm trying to save up for CEO as well. ;__; I really had my heart set on UFGT though. I wanted to be somebody.
No worries man, sometimes the money just isn't there.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Lets be Serious Here, Deathstroke complains are overrated, his zoning is good, but not way too OP as many scrubs make it out to be.

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
He is good but his trait is useless and combo dmg is pretty low. Easy to pick up , hard to master .

Trust me if you fight someone who knows how to deal with zoining its not so easy . He dont have any GTFO type move ;p

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Why is so much time being devoted to placing characters into their spot on the tier list and not developing tech and strategies?

I expect better of you, Vagrant. It took 2 years for a fairly accurate tier list for MK9, remember?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Very good character in a game with a bunch of very good characters. There's no denying he's up there...but I'm not sold on him being that up there for sure. Around there, though, no doubt about it.

You have to remember, you have to judge him in accordance to all the other bullshit in the game.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
There are a ton of great characters in this game and Deathstroke is one of them. Everyone knows this lol, the rest is trolling or people outsmarting themselves.

Vagrant

Noob
Just to clarify. All I wanted to do was break Deathstrokes tools down and give my rational opinion on his strength in this game. And then discuss it with you guys. This is not me declaring his spot on ANY tier list nor is it set in stone. Just trying to look at the character rationally and form an opinion.

Chill

I think hes OP online, offline hes still fkn strong. Overall I say if anything gets adjusted it should be the recovery of the guns. No one else has a ranged projectile that recovers that fast, except maybe nightwings db+2 in staff stance. That can only hit the ground though. DS can go low mid or air w/ about the same recovery. It'll be a stale ass Evo if there is a DS in the grand finals

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Sword spin is one of the best wakeups in the game. Every char except KF would be dying to have it.

I dunno if this thread has a point, but I will say this here. I don't like people saying "hes bad upclose" as some way to justify that he zones out some chars. This is totally false. I could see him being better upclose than many other chars who he also zones out. I see no reason why he wouldnt utterly dominate those chars if thats the case.