What's new

Legacy Season II Impressions

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Ermac was absolutely awful. Omg, I wasn't expecting another ninja, but holy shit was the costume a trainwreck.

I haven't watched the full thing, but so far, it's been okay. Liu and Kenshi, so far, are probably the best thing in the season.

zaf

professor
Ermac was absolutely awful. Omg, I wasn't expecting another ninja, but holy shit was the costume a trainwreck.

I haven't watched the full thing, but so far, it's been okay. Liu and Kenshi, so far, are probably the best thing in the season.
what else do you want a demon to look like? =P
Yea kenshi was really well done. His story that explains what happens, the actor did a great job I find.
I hope kenshi can stay alive for a while

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
what else do you want a demon to look like? =P
Yea kenshi was really well done. His story that explains what happens, the actor did a great job I find.
I hope kenshi can stay alive for a while
Actually, now that I got an actual look on something not my phone, he actually looks pretty cool. Nvm on that one.

Fun fact, Kenshi's actor portrayed the Quantam Ranger in Power Rangers: Time Force, and also voices Vergil from DMC.

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
I liked it better than season 1. Some things felt rushed and low budget but overall I enjoyed it. Highlights were def Kenshi backstory and the Sub/Scorp episode. It had lots of nods to the games, that made me mark out. Still nothing comes close to the orginal teaser prior to season 1. That shit was ultra dark and original.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
So no one else was totally turned off by the "tournament" being a simple "HUNT THEM DOWN"

it was all over the place.
Not really. Kevin already mentioned that it wouldn't be a "tournament" in season 2, but a "war" instead.

I have no problem with it, and I expect it will be a more traditional tournament in the actual movie.

zaf

professor
Actually, now that I got an actual look on something not my phone, he actually looks pretty cool. Nvm on that one.

Fun fact, Kenshi's actor portrayed the Quantam Ranger in Power Rangers: Time Force, and also voices Vergil from DMC.

Yea i saw all that about kenshi's actor. I imdb'd like all of the cast when I finished watching it.

Deyrax

Skarlet who ?
I really liked the way Kenshi looked in his backstory. And feudal Japan atmosphere was awesome. I like Kitana in her battle outfit. And Shang. But that's about it. Still better than nothing.

Noob
All the ppl saying this was meh are very entitled to their opinion but i feel like you guys had way to big expectations in relations to this... its a webseries for f sake, this is not a movie this is not a tv show, im pretty sure they wanted to do something a lot bigger more flashy and more accuratte but considering what they did, Season 2 was very nice...

The ties with season 1 where lacking but i see this as a more independent season then something that needs to be accurate...

the acting was actually very good, they managed to gather 90% of the cast with really good actors, Kenshi, Liu, Kung Lao, Johnny Cage, Shang Tsung, all this actors are amazing the rest of the cast seems a bit more improvised but still fair, i really enjoyed Mileena tho Kitana was a bit Bland for me... Ermac was quite diferent from what we are used to but i still felt it was a rahter decent reenvisioning of the character, Striker was horrible for me... that character had 0 impact and was arkward to look at, the guy from the first season was better. Scorpions overhaul was very nice, costume nice, fighting also nice, fatality could be a bit more graphic but also very nice... Subzero i got an issue with the costume and actor was also decent.

Beefs i have with the show: dunno what the hell happened with Quan chi ties to scorpions creation there is no explination or further mention of him aside from a flashback of season 1
No cyrax or Sektor this 2 eps from season 1 where probably by far the coolest and they wherent even mentioned this time...
Kano Sonya and Briggs wherent even there as well and they basicly had the main stage for the full story on season 1, Kano was behind basicly everything and in this season he isnt even mentioned..
Lack of depth in relations to the tornament of MK, they where teleported there ( witch i was rather ok with tho i prefer the original telling of the Boat taking them there but whateves ) but then they run free, it feels liek its battle royal there and the last standing gets to go back home, no official fights or mention of ShaoKang....

All in All i liked it as a "webseries" its an Enjoyable 10 eps with no connection to season 1 and a decent reenvisioning of the MK story. if we try to look at this as how accurate it is to the lure then we have issues...

T3rror

Noob
The biggest highlight for me was Brian Tee's portrayal of Liu Kang. A non righteous Liu Kang was a good take on the character which Tee fit perfectly.

I liked it better than season 1. Some things felt rushed and low budget but overall I enjoyed it. Highlights were def Kenshi backstory and the Sub/Scorp episode. It had lots of nods to the games, that made me mark out. Still nothing comes close to the orginal teaser prior to season 1. That shit was ultra dark and original.
Seriously, Rebirth is by far still my favorite. Matt mullins as Cage is so fucking good

haketh

Noob

He did more than just voice him, all the mocap for Vergil was done by him. He is Vergil.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
He didmorethan just voicehim,allthe mocapfor Vergil was done by him. He is Vergil.
It took me a minute to get past him being a past power ranger, especially in the 1199 time frame with that fake hair. Once he dawned the regular Kenshi gear though, and through his fight with Ermac, I feel he did an awesome job and really owned that role.

When he lost the sword and busted out his Tai Chi, I got HYPE! And all his hand signs and soft fluid motions associated with his TK were spot on. I for one can't wait to see more of him.

Pearl Monnkey

Mountain Climber
1) I liked Ermac and how he was introduced, but the fighting between Kenshi and him was lacking, even for this low budget.
2) I liked Liu Kang / Kung Lao's relationship, I especially liked Liu Kang's performance.
3) Classic Shang Tsung is a thumbs up, but too little screen time.
4) I liked the Kitana / Mileena portion as well.
5) Johnny Cage's actor was terrible.
6) Kenshi was my favorite character in this, well done for the budget.
7) I liked how Shang Tsung baited Kenshi pretending to be a victim of the thugs who were hoping to steal his resources.

esc1

95% of TYM discussion: "It's fine"
Seems to be a lot of gripes about Ermac. I liked the design. The voice was awesome. Cool setup as well. I would have preferred Ermac to attack at the end with the souls he has collected rather than what happened, but what can you do. We would all like to have seen it go our own way.

It really shouldn't come as a surprise to see roles re-cast in something like this.. Be realistic. Not all the actors from the first one are going to be available to reprise their roles.

zaf

professor
So I guess I will take this time to write up my full impressions.

I know that a lot of people are upset with both sub's being dead. As well as many other canon story lines from mk being different. But that is what you need to remember for this web-series. It is a re-telling of the mortal kombat universe. With its own canon storyline. Things will be different but it should not be something that bothers you, yet something that intrigues you. The same way mk9 changed the story line, give mk legacy the same level of respect when watching it. I also am aware that with all of the great tv shows going on right now ( breaking bad, dexter sons of anarchy etc ) that a lot of people these days are expecting that level of a show with anything. You really have to take legacy for what it is going into this.

I know that this is a web-series. Which means that I was not expecting a full out normal season from that of any other show.
I knew going into this the episodes would be short and we would get about 10 of them or so. Which is fine. This is a web-series after all. This is not a full on series that plays on AMC, showtime or any other similar channel.

With this also being a web-series, comes other things. Such as time constraints. Each episode does feel like a TL;DR of what could of been a 30 minute episode. They could of given us more back story and plot lines instead of the fights. Or they could of added more fights and left us with less of the story being told. Either way they went, I do not think they would be able to please everyone. I think that what they did with the time they could use was very good.

Ermac vs kenshi.
Nicely told back story for kenshi. I LOVE how ermac was portrayed. I have more of a metal music background. Most games I love to death are that of mortal kombat, diablo series etc. So you can see that I love the inclusion of demons, demi-gods, monsters. Anything man vs supernatural or good vs evil. I really like the costume ermac was in. I mean, how else are you going to dress up a demon? Take a look at the wanderer in Diablo 2, he is dressed practically the same as ermac was and you later find out the wanderer was diablo( a demon). He is not a demon in the canon storyline of MK. But in this inclusion he is a demon now, set to protect a sword in stone for a "worthy opponent". This setting alone is amazing. His cave was brutal, body parts everywhere, cryptic as hell. When kenshi loses his eyes, and the cave blasts open, it kind of tells you how all the body parts that originated inside the cave began to spread out and design the outside of the cave. Which I thought was really cool. I also thought that the actor for kenshi did a great job.

Liu vs Kung
Amazing. Totally amazing. Kung laos's idealistic portrayal vs an emotioanl liu kang really is amazing. Liu kang leaves behind the white lotus and their ideals/way of life to pursue the life of a normal every day human. With that comes emotions and the ability to feel. The clash of ideals here is that similar to ...let's say a robot vs a human , angels vs humans..... or even for those who have seen Full Metal Alchemist.. Humunculous vs humans. Ultimately something/someone who lives by a logical way of life vs a way of life filled with emotions. There is no right way, yet they both have very different outcomes when walking the same path. Liu kangs actor was amazing for this. As was the Chairman of Iron Chef ( was so happy to see him, since the other real tv i watch is food network).

sub vs scorpion
Once again. another great re-telling of the classic mk story. Nothing really much to say about this segment of the web-series as it is something that was done a lot over the years. Both subs being killed off doesnt matter or bother me because this is a new story for MK.

lack of raiden - its fine really. he is more of just a guide in this so far. i know raiden is definitely a very important character but at the same time he will be featured way more in the next installments.

cage actor and styrker. the cage actor was spot on imo. Cage was never suppose to be this 100% serious dude. He is just a rich boy who can actually fine. So when it comes to people like mileena, of course cage would run in fear. But when faced against someone like Liu Kang. Something he is more familiar with, he will fight. As for stryker, maybe there is more in store for him in the future. I don't see why not. I mean there has to be a reason for selecting styrker to be one of the main characters when he has never truly been all that popular.

All in all, I loved legacy and look forward to the rest of the series.

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
It was meh for me. I enjoyed the hell out of it though, I just had higher expectations.

One thing they did perfect though is Kenshi, seriously apart from Shang not making him blind they made him amazing. His character was spot on

Also why the fuck didn't they use Matt Mullins for Cage, and the old actors for Stryker and Raiden? I felt like they fit the roles better then the s2 ones.

I thought this new Cage was the absolute perfect match ... I agree on Raiden for sure, just re-watched last season's Raiden episode with the white-guy Raiden and it was the best episode of all episode's including this season... Seeing a Japanese Raiden is strange, not terrible but why the change?

Clark L.

F1 ftw.
Cage was my least favorite, ironically enough the funniest part by far was when he saw Mileena and said "f*** this."