What's new

General/Other - Lasher Lasher Discussion Thread

craftycheese

I tried to throw a yo-yo away. It was impossible.
How often do you guys end combos with bf4? I've been doing, for example, b2,1~exbf2, njp, j3~bf4 mainly midscreen. It's like 32%, not the most damaging, but I've been doing it because its super plus on block, they fall in perfect spacing for either d+f+1, whip trip, b2, or b3 (prolly forward dash d3 too but haven't tried that out), and it's a hard knock down, so they cannot roll away from you. So they have to take whatever you throw out at them unless the wakeup, which you always had to worry about anyways, or delay their get up.

I've been playing around with ending things in hard knock downs because as great as ending with df1, bf2, or db2 are in combos, they can still roll out of the way and get full screen quicker on us.

Last edited:

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
If I land EX kunai midscreen I go for B21 BF4. Also for more damage and advantage off of F122+4 I might spend the bar and end in BF4.

The last situation would be if I'm in the corner and land a F122+4 I end in far BF4 for the side switch then run them back into the corner.

Usually I just end in DF1 if I spend the bar off of BF2, or end in EX DB1 for a kunai setup.

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
It's probably because of his dumb J2, relatively safe specials which most of the cast either have a hard time punishing or can't punish, normal gaps in SR pressure no longer exist with the low special, halfscreen normal that is a combo starter, and still has HTBs.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
Lasher's a safer, less mobile/less damage SR imo.
The thing is they don't really play alike, SR is more rushdown, momentum and mobility based while lasher is momentum killing space control based character. Yeah you can control space in sr but it isn't really the point of the variation.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
The thing is they don't really play alike, SR is more rushdown, momentum and mobility based while lasher is momentum killing space control based character. Yeah you can control space in sr but it isn't really the point of the variation.
I tend to do a mix and match of rushdown and keep out when I play SR so I try to translate that style to Lasher. Though my Lasher is mediocre at best because I haven't dedicated enough time to it.

MrProfDrPepper

I tend to do a mix and match of rushdown and keep out when I play SR so I try to translate that style to Lasher. Though my Lasher is mediocre at best because I haven't dedicated enough time to it.
Lasher has a little rushdown but it shouldn't be used often, he tends to have burst offence then backs off when he is done to keep the opponent out. You want your offense with lasher to be short and unexpected. And only in certain match ups. Like how you should NEVER rush down Johnny cage, d'vorah, liu kang, or pretty much anyone where their primary objective is to get in and pressure you

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Lasher has a little rushdown but it shouldn't be used often, he tends to have burst offence then backs off when he is done to keep the opponent out. You want your offense with lasher to be short and unexpected. And only in certain match ups. Like how you should NEVER rush down Johnny cage, d'vorah, liu kang, or pretty much anyone where their primary objective is to get in and pressure you
I guess my problem is I see so many people have good corner carry with lasher and then keep the pressure on I wonder when I should try and force that type of situation or if I should always back off and play it safe. Lasher is my least explored Takeda variation so it def needs work. I only bring it out against people like Jax

MrProfDrPepper

I guess my problem is I see so many people have good corner carry with lasher and then keep the pressure on I wonder when I should try and force that type of situation or if I should always back off and play it safe. Lasher is my least explored Takeda variation so it def needs work. I only bring it out against people like Jax
Lasher is interesting in the corner because you have to get in the opponents head and do the opposite of what they expect. Let's say they are really ready to get out and they think you are going to do another loop of f12 2+4 ex kunai pressure. So they decide to armor out. But if you back off you can whiff punish their armor and keep them in the corner and make them afraid to armor out. It's the little things like that sprinkled all over the place that makes him very interesting to main. Yes those elements are in other characters but they are the most prevalent in lasher

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Lasher is interesting in the corner because you have to get in the opponents head and do the opposite of what they expect. Let's say they are really ready to get out and they think you are going to do another loop of f12 2+4 ex kunai pressure. So they decide to armor out. But if you back off you can whiff punish their armor and keep them in the corner and make them afraid to armor out. It's the little things like that sprinkled all over the place that makes him very interesting to main. Yes those elements are in other characters but they are the most prevalent in lasher
It's things like that I want to learn. I might have to dedicate a lot of time to only Lasher to really understand those elements. Also I feel like learning Lasher that well will help me with the other two. Outside of Vman it's hard to find a lot of footage.

MrProfDrPepper

It's things like that I want to learn. I might have to dedicate a lot of time to only Lasher to really understand those elements. Also I feel like learning Lasher that well will help me with the other two. Outside of Vman it's hard to find a lot of footage.
I can send you some of my tournament footage. Although I cringe at my own gameplay a lot since the matches I have on YouTube I'm not that proud of but i watch them all the time since it is important to watch your footage and criticize yourself

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
I can send you some of my tournament footage. Although I cringe at my own gameplay a lot since the matches I have on YouTube I'm not that proud of but i watch them all the time since it is important to watch your footage and criticize yourself
I just played a bunch of Lasher today and it's really hard not to rushdown. If I could work my PS4 better I'd upload a bit of the gameplay for critique.

Airvidal

"You play weird" It's called being unorthodox ;)
Well, my advice would be to 70% of the time go for a backdash after you finish a corner combo where you should be getting at least 40% every time. This leaves all these options open: b2, b3, df1, kunai, or 2, 1.

Starting animation for b3 is a run so you can't react to low when the animation actually looks like the low, and most of the time your opponent will be blocking high fearing b2, especially cause no one ever goes for b3 cause "it's too slow" lol

So no, if you're in the corner don't go across the screen, just return to your perfect space range which is about a back dash space. Although, midscreen is better to keep away like some have told you already.