What's new

Question Landing Play Doctor after a string

arydious

Noob
Yeah there is no bug with this its all execution. At first this crap is hard. I land it on my pad consistently the only time I don't is when there is a slight lag online. I will say the window is slim for landing it.

All I do is 1 D B+1 F 1

Yeah it looks nasty but start hitting the movement commands during the 1 1 also I found out sliding my finder didnt work I had to lift and press but its a cake walk now

Yeah I hate that move so much I main Killer frost and trying to learn Harley and the same move pops up :/ I can do easy with a stick but play better on a pad. Wish it could be like a Honda throw. Oh well just have to put in time in practice mode

I've messed around with Bane to start and his command grab is the same motion and I can land it easily off of his 113. The 2 tricks that helped me are using a street fighter d,db,b motion (works on MK imputs fine, probably better) and doing the combo like 1>1>3+db>f>3 if that makes any sense; buffer the first part of the motion (the db) during the last normal in the combo and then only use f1 (i think for Harley) to imput the special.

Here's hoping that Harley will work out better than starting out with Bane online, that was a little discouraging today.

UlquiorraSchiffr

I kept losing so I switched to Batco.
At first landing play doctor can prove rather annoying. I know I struggled a good day or two before starting to land it in a string, for example; b22, db31, b3, ji2, ji2, 12 xx Play doctor.
I buffered it like this: 1, d+2, b f+1. I seem to have it down now. Online is still a work in progress with some connections bordering on unfavorable. Meh, one day, one day...

Edit: I went to training with Harely and it would appear there is no longer a need to buffer Play doctor. I attempted it without buffering; perfect results every time- well once a gun came out, but just once. o_o

Saint Connor

Team F.Y.F.
ok wow this helped so much lol, never thought it that way.

its funny because the way i do my spd motions is down, back, up, right+atk
It's a hell of a lot easier just swinging the stick around than trying to do dbf/qcbf in a precise manner, especially with the input leniency.

Wesley

Noob
I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I can land the string and play doctor comes out perfectly every time, but it's like whiffing or something. Unless I stand still and do play doctor by itself without any combo before hand, it'll whiff. So much as doing 1 hit before will make it whiff. Solution?

UlquiorraSchiffr

I kept losing so I switched to Batco.
I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I can land the string and play doctor comes out perfectly every time, but it's like whiffing or something. Unless I stand still and do play doctor by itself without any combo before hand, it'll whiff. So much as doing 1 hit before will make it whiff. Solution?
Street Fighter controls helped me out greatly, try things with alternate controls on. Also make sure you have release check off.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
OK, is this thing bugged or do I just suck? I've been breaking my fingers off trying to land Play Doctor after 1, 1 or any other string she has, and 95% of the time either nothing comes out or I get a gunshot instead (with both types of controls). Help, plox?
I just recently (as in two days ago) began learning Harley as a backup to Raven as some matchups Raven can absolutely not handle well so I need a secondary for now just in case. I just tried play doctor after 1,1 and it's pretty easy. Perhaps it's because I play Tekken and a lot of tactics with the characters I use in that game are done the same (via buffering). Here's how I figured out what to do for it even before I came into this thread. Just make it "almost" "one move". Basically just hit 1,1 and immediately begin doing the dbf motion and hit 1. She should still be at the ass end of her last punch in the string as you're hitting "F" on play doctor and as soon as she finishes you're already hitting 1 again and she does the throw. It may take practice and there's a rhythm to it but it's easy once you figure out how to buffer the motions out of moves. Just make sure not to "panic buffer" which may be why you're getting gunshots instead, you may be over-anticipating or getting so anxious to see it come out that you forget to hit the f motion or are "panic pressing" buttons too fast.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
I promised myself I wasn't gonna do this, but seriously... hecterrific, colt. (Last time guys, I promise.)
What in the name of Jeebus is up with the input for this thing? I have been sittin' on my ass for FIVE GODDAMN HOURS STRAIGHT trying to get this thing to come out consistently. I input b3, jumping 3, 11, dbf1 perfectly (and I've tried all the fancyass techniques that people have mentioned in this thread), the damn thing still barely comes out. I'm not the only one having problems with this; I shouldn't have to sit here for five hours trying to get a special move to come out after a string, lmao. Honestly, give it a try and I guarantee that you will rip your own nuts off in frustration. The input for this thing has to be changed, or it's just gotta be patched or something, because I am crying tears of pain here.
Oh, didn't see this. Well here's something I tried. With Raven some combos didn't hit because of the height I was at when hitting the Jumping 3. instead of hitting jumping 3 IMMEDIATELY I wait till both characters are almost aligned and both beginning their decent from apex, that way I hit the 3, hit the ground before my opponent does when he/she is at "face height" and then I'm doing 11 play doctor. The first few times I missed it was because I did the jump 3 too early and my opponent was getting hit with 11 too high.
The second option which I found makes my timing easier as well is make DAMN SURE that you are hitting that F at the end of the string. I turned Negative Edge on and I can still do it but I noticed gunshots come out if I do it too fast so...the trick is....as soon as you do 11 and do the motion for dbf HOLD F and hit 1. Works 100% of the time for me even with negative edge. After that it's just timing.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
Here's something else to try as well to help get your timing. Take out the extra 1. Just do b3, jumping 3, then 1 into play doctor to get the timing, feel for the combo. Then add in the extra 1 once you get the buffer down. It takes practice but I know you can do it. I tried it for the first time today, messed up the first 4-5 times and now I'm good and I play on pad too.

Also important to keep in mind. when it "whiffs" again make sure your opponent isn't too high. Instead of delaying the jumping 3, I just now found out it's easier to wait just a split second before starting the 11 string. they will look like they're almost at the ground but the throw will catch them. I think what's happening to you is they are still far too high for harley to "catch" them. They need to be about chest/upper stomach height on her for this to work. So the combo for me now looks like this:
B3, Jumping 3 (very slight delay) 1,1~dbf1

*In a nutshell*
1; do the full combo up until after jumping 3
2:wait a VERY slight second to let them "fall" a bit before hitting 11 and ensure they are stomach/chest height on harley
3: input dbf immediately after you input 11
4: make sure you are still holding f in the buffer while hitting 1 to complete the move

Seriously. You got this. I just learned this in 15 minutes.

cpmd4

Slaughter is the Best Medicine
So I finally got it to work for me. I find 1,1 then Play Doctor after a string is much easier than 1,2. I just personally have trouble with it. However, it does seem that sometimes it doesn't execute correctly (maybe just my lack of practice), because it seems that Harley will grab but my opponent will be to far away to reach. So if 1,2 doesn't have this problem, it's probably best to go with that.

Though I did find learning to do it with 1,1 easier for me. Maybe someone else will find the same.