What's new

Strategy Kung Lao - Hat abuse

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
UsedForGlue I don't really see the point of 24~low hat, mind you i'm not a kung lao player. But it seems that 24 on hit or block is pretty favourable to Lao, care to fill me in?

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
UsedForGlue I don't really see the point of 24~low hat, mind you i'm not a kung lao player. But it seems that 24 on hit or block is pretty favourable to Lao, care to fill me in?
2 4 Overhead is easier to see.

2 4 by itself is minus 1 so it allows people to poke out. The low hat has kancel advantage and an ambiguous animation so you kan't tell the start up apart from the final recovery animation of 2 4.

It used to be a great mix up. Now it's just something to keep people in check every once in a while. (Those that don't/kan't punish it well at least.) Remember risk/reward.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.

2 4 by itself is minus 1 so it allows people to poke out. The low hat has kancel advantage and an ambiguous animation so you kan't tell the start up apart from the final recovery animation of 2 4.
Everything lao does can be poked, -1 doesnt really effect him at all. On hit its +4 so no risk and same reward.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Everything lao does can be poked, -1 doesnt really effect him at all. On hit its +4 so no risk and same reward.
2 4 being minus 1 without the threat of low hat means that you kan D1 him and if your timing is right his spin kan't beat you.

That's significant. For Sektor Specifically it means that if he isn't checking me with low hat I kan jab him without fear of Spin.

2 4 being minus 1 without the threat of low hat means that you kan D1 him and if your timing is right his spin kan't beat you.

That's significant. For Sektor Specifically it means that if he isn't checking me with low hat I kan jab him without fear of Spin.
to be honest, no one has ever taken advantage of that 1 frame against me. most opponents always wait a while before they can confirm there is no overhead coming out, the -1 will be long gone after that, no one has ever beaten me with their d1 with 24 on block, if they do they would have to do the d1 fast and that will only make the 24overhead a better option.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
to be honest, no one has ever taken advantage of that 1 frame against me. most opponents always wait a while before they can confirm there is no overhead coming out, the -1 will be long gone after that, no one has ever beaten me with their d1 with 24 on block, if they do they would have to do the d1 fast and that will only make the 24overhead a better option.
If I remember korrectly it's almost an option select to D1 because it won't kome out if you did the overhead. They'd still be in block stun from the kancel advantage.

If I remember korrectly it's almost an option select to D1 because it won't kome out if you did the overhead. They'd still be in block stun from the kancel advantage.
well pretty sure thats not what people do aaginst me, people should go for d3/d4 anyways, d1 doesnt really give you anything.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
well pretty sure thats not what people do aaginst me, people should go for d3/d4 anyways, d1 doesnt really give you anything.
I use my "Standing D1" which gives me a full kombo.. lol.

But yeah, you're right. It just gets them away from your pressure on hit.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat

It used to be a great mix up. Now it's just something to keep people in check every once in a while. (Those that don't/kan't punish it well at least.) Remember risk/reward.
It was never really a great mixup, low hat was always negative enough on block that Lao's pressure would be over if it was blocked and it was pretty much always to be expected after 24 because the overhead was very unsafe back then.

Most people hesistate to take advantage of that minus 1 because they're looking for the overhead, by the time they realize its not comming that minus 1 is gone and Spin becomes a factor.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
It was never really a great mixup, low hat was always negative enough on block that Lao's pressure would be over if it was blocked and it was pretty much always to be expected after 24 because the overhead was very unsafe back then.

Most people hesistate to take advantage of that minus 1 because they're looking for the overhead, by the time they realize its not comming that minus 1 is gone and Spin becomes a factor.
How minus was it?

(Remember not all minus frames are created equal..)

Illmatix

Remember, representing ermac is illmatic.
i use 24 low hat in the corner when people expect the over head to much. on high hit box char's who cant avoid 2 it's pretty sweet sometimes.

Sometimes.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Plus 20, Don't get me wrong up close low hat was good its just that 24 low hat was a bit overrated.
+20 means pretty much do whatever you want! lol.

That is good. -7 though meant I kould punish it if I knew this and I played back then.

Everything makes sense now. 7 Frames go by fast if you're not looking for the punish.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
+20 means pretty much do whatever you want! lol.

That is good. -7 though meant I kould punish it if I knew this and I played back then.

Everything makes sense now. 7 Frames go by fast if you're not looking for the punish.
+20 was the only way Kung lao could get a guaranteed 21 or 24 lol. But yeah most characters couldn't punish it but it meant Lao would have to end his pressure afterwards. Of course concrete frame data wasn't available back then so we didn't know all of this.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
also after 21/24 on hit you get a free standing 3, which you can also cancel into low hat and it has pushback, pretty sure character like skarlet can't punish it anymore with standing 1. just a little option if you feel like playing safe.
Interesting thing to add to this, if you do either a Standing 3 Ex Low Hat (the standing 3 must be blocked) or a max range D4 Ex Low Hat the EX low hat will not connect. Wouldn't call it anything exceptionally useful but its interesting at least.