What's new

Strategy Kung Lao - Hat abuse

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Hi.

This is a thread dedicated to show what characters struggle against his basic 24 Low hat and 24 Overhead strings, and how far you can push opponents with only these two.

24 Low Hat:
We will start with this one as its pretty day one, this shouldn't really be used against anyone, as almost everyone can punish with a full combo, to the frame, without meter, and there is only one character that cannot punish it AT ALL with the exception of a throw: Mileena, she cannot combo him afterwards as her 4 is 14 frames, and her roll 12 frames, she can't even guarantee a throw as KL can still tech it if he guesses right.

For something so day one, she has so much to think about it when it comes to a ''punish''.

So lets run with that word ''punish''.

I honestly don't class, a throw, d1, d3, d4, uppercut, a string on block, or a 2/3 hit string into another string on block as a ''punish'', its more considered a light smack on wrist, but nothing that will force you to stop doing it.

So with this in mind, you can choose to use 24 low hat on certain characters, depending on how to you look at a ''punish'', so these Characters feeble ''punishes'' are broken down into two categories.

1. = Punishes with only special moves of 6-11 frames, resulting in 8-12% damage for a move that takes 7%, and the possible chance that you mis time the punish in your haste.

2. = 3 hit strings, or 2 hit strings into a block string mix up, or require a bar of meter for effect for additional damage.

These characters are:
Baraka = 10 Frame blade charge, 2 frames late will result in a full 21 punish.
Kano = 8 frame Upball, again, if you hesitate your special can be punished, not that likely though, but it is your only real option.

Second criteria:
Jax - Can ''punish'' you with around 12% using F413 etc, and F41 but can have the obvious after grab escaped with a tech. In order for jax to bag a 25% ONE BAR OF METER ''Punish'' it will be F4 Overhead, :ex Ground Pound.

Jade - Can only do a pitiful 12 staff grab/shadow kick, or 12 and risk a mix up and chance being spun for 30% meter-less.

Sindel - Has an 11 frame :fp, and can 112B4 Fireball punish you, but again its not that much damage that is can't really be considered a full combo punish, and is she is late by a frame...she's right back in it with no punish at all.

Stryker - His only options are 4 into sweep or roll, both don't jail, and leave him negative on block. He can 11 and maybe gun shot, but I don't know if that can be considered a punish, if he is one frame late, he will miss that op.

Skarlet - This one is interesting, as yes she can 112 ''punish'' you, but that can't be considered a punish in any real honesty, especially if she tries to slide on block and sit negative, chance and over head and be full punished, instead she has to spend a bar or meter with :ex dagger then make the correct read with not using F2 as it will wiff on KL, and even if she does B12F4 dash, it is still only a mix up, and not designated as a ''full punish'' she runs the risk of being countered in her punish.

You are instantly at an advantage against these characters, as not only do they have to worry about everything else Kung Lao has, they have to expect a low hat and have to struggle to deal with such a simple punish.

I understand this will cause some people to be upset at their characters lack of tools or options to deal with this simple string/special, but thats the facts, and again, Kung Lao is at no obligation to ever use it, unless he wants to throw another mind game into the mix.

Espio

Kokomo
Stryker can 1,1 roll toss/gun shot low hat since it's -12 and his standing 1 is 10 frames.

Jade can do 1,2 shadow kick, down 1, staff grab.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Stryker can 1,1 roll toss/gun shot low hat since it's -12 and his standing 1 is 10 frames.

Jade can do 1,2 shadow kick, down 1, staff grab.
You didn't read half of what I wrote man...

''He can 11 and maybe gun shot, but I don't know if that can be considered a punish.''

I wrote about it earlier in the thread, but you didn't read it.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
112 rd puts skarlet at +8. And does 9%. She gets a free throw after or a 114/112 attempt. Of you don't block or jump you are back in the same situation. If you block you can be grabbed or looped for eh dagger block string.

It may not be a full combo punish like most but it is effective for about 20% minimum plus either zoning advantage or pressure. That's cool with me.

Espio

Kokomo
Hi.

This is a thread dedicated to show what characters struggle against his basic 24 Low hat and 24 Overhead strings, and how far you can push opponents with only these two.

24 Low Hat:
We will start with this one as its pretty day one, this shouldn't really be used against anyone, as almost everyone can punish with a full combo, to the frame, without meter, and there is only one character that cannot punish it AT ALL with the exception of a throw: Mileena, she cannot combo him afterwards as her 4 is 14 frames, and her roll 12 frames, she can't even guarantee a throw as KL can still tech it if he guesses right.

For something so day one, she has so much to think about it when it comes to a ''punish''.

So lets run with that word ''punish''.

I honestly don't class, a throw, d1, d3, d4, uppercut, a string on block, or a 2/3 hit string into another string on block as a ''punish'', its more considered a light smack on wrist, but nothing that will force you to stop doing it.

So with this in mind, you can choose to use 24 low hat on certain characters, depending on how to you look at a ''punish'', so these Characters feeble ''punishes'' are broken down into two categories.

1. = Punishes with only special moves of 6-11 frames, resulting in 8-12% damage for a move that takes 7%, and the possible chance that you mis time the punish in your haste.

2. = 3 hit strings, or 2 hit strings into a block string mix up, or require a bar of meter for effect for additional damage.

These characters are:
Baraka = 10 Frame blade charge, 2 frames late will result in a full 21 punish.
Kano = 8 frame Upball, again, if you hesitate your special can be punished, not that likely though, but it is your only real option.

Second criteria:
Jax - Can ''punish'' you with around 12% using F413 etc, and F41 but can have the obvious after grab escaped with a tech. In order for jax to bag a 25% ONE BAR OF METER ''Punish'' it will be F4 Overhead, :ex Ground Pound.

Jade - Can only do a pitiful 12 staff grab/shadow kick, or 12 and risk a mix up and chance being spun for 30% meter-less.

Sindel - Has an 11 frame :fp, and can 112B4 Fireball punish you, but again its not that much damage that is can't really be considered a full combo punish, and is she is late by a frame...she's right back in it with no punish at all.

Stryker - His only options are 4 into sweep or roll, both don't jail, and leave him negative on block. He can 12 and maybe gun shot, but I don't know if that can be considered a punish.

Skarlet - This one is interesting, as yes she can 112 ''punish'' you, but that can't be considered a punish in any real honesty, especially if she tries to slide on block and sit negative, chance and over head and be full punished, instead she has to spend a bar or meter with :ex dagger then make the correct read with not using F2 as it will wiff on KL, and even if she does B12F4 dash, it is still only a mix up, and not designated as a ''full punish'' she runs the risk of being countered in her punish.

You are instantly at an advantage against these characters, as not only do they have to worry about everything else Kung Lao has, they have to expect a low hat and have to struggle to deal with such a simple punish.

I understand this will cause some people to be upset at their characters lack of tools or options to deal with this simple string/special, but thats the facts, and again, Kung Lao is at no obligation to ever use it, unless he wants to throw another mind game into the mix.

I read the part that said he can only punish with 4 into sweep/roll....I was adding that he can punish blocked low hat with more than the options you listed.....I read the relevant parts and was simply trying to provide additional info to be helpful, but it's whatever.

Espio

Kokomo

''He can 11 and maybe gun shot, but I don't know if that can be considered a punish.''

I wrote about it earlier in the thread, but you didn't read it.

You edited your post dude...you had that as 1,2 only....as you can see in the post of yours I quoted.

There's nothing wrong with making a mistake....

24 Low Hat:

An incorrection! One which I will correct, if only for the sake of knowledge; as this shit is detrimental to my own character: Kratos.

Kratos' fastest standing attack is 12 frames, and if my memory isn't clouded, it takes a frame or so to unblock and stand up.
His fastest poke is 8 frames and leaves him at -4 on hit.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
An incorrection! One which I will correct, if only for the sake of knowledge; as this shit is detrimental to my own character: Kratos.

Kratos' fastest standing attack is 12 frames, and if my memory isn't clouded, it takes a frame or so to unblock and stand up.
His fastest poke is 8 frames and leaves him at -4 on hit.
Good luck punishing that online...

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
mileena cant do shit against 24~lowhat/24~overhead :(
baraka only option for 21212/24~overhead is blade charge as you mentioned for a small 8% and much bigger punish if your late.
on 24~low hat i always just try for the just frame f4 punish, id rather risk being at -2 to get 25% than 9% from spin

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I still don't get the point of this thread.
I've read the OP three times.

No matter what... KL gives up momentum ending in low hat. Even against the listed chars.

No matter what... KL gives up momentum ending in low hat. Even against the listed chars.

low hat on hit is at +, you cant really make use of the advantage because you dont have a mid, kung lao with a 7 frame jab is already faster 90% of the times, but that doesnt mean youre giving up momentum unless it gets blocked.

BTW good stuff UsedForGlue been using low hats on mileena for a while now.

also after 21/24 on hit you get a free standing 3, which you can also cancel into low hat and it has pushback, pretty sure character like skarlet can't punish it anymore with standing 1. just a little option if you feel like playing safe.

and if they try to jump out of standing 3 they will get hit airborne and if you canceled into low hat, the low hat will also combo.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
you should say that the low hat must be fuzzy guarded otherwise it takes 1 frame to unblock and 3 to stand up, making your oh so sweet normal 4 frames slower and unable to punish the hat, if your op doesnt do that then you can low hat with no fear or a punish depending on the char

CheapEddie

I HAVE A FACE NOW!
you should say that the low hat must be fuzzy guarded otherwise it takes 1 frame to unblock and 3 to stand up, making your oh so sweet normal 4 frames slower and unable to punish the hat, if your op doesnt do that then you can low hat with no fear or a punish depending on the char
Qwark, plz. With that logic i`d never punish KL`s hat with f33nutpunch. And i do it about every fucking time. :)

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
With a Bar she does good damage. 1~EX Scream etc.

Flagg

Noob

That's subjective. If he has you cornered, you get a bit of breathing space but your options getting out are still quite limited.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I was starting to wonder if I was the only one that hadn't swallowed any red pills or been bitten by a genetically engineered spider today..

killa_solid

Friendly--foe
Mileena also has the option to uppercut.. 12% isn't too bad. Same damage as the throw would do without the risk of it being teched.