What's new

Kung Lao Discussion Thread

HiddenSelectCounterPick

Crossplay Username: PlayingNeutral
21 doesn't jail, that's the problem. 2 does but not the rest. Obviously on hit everything hits but why risk it when you have 121 - great shimmy and os.

That's probably their reason not to fix 21 whiffing on crouch block. Very stupid reason imo.
Thats what i was referring to, and against lao if lao is grounded there is no reason not to block low. Your d3 will be blocked. It doesnt jail on block. I wasnt arguing, the string does not jail only 2 does as someone said before.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
So how is his wakeup different? Is it wider? Does it anti air better? Or was this just fixing some jank like making the two hits combo more consistently?

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I don't even know why they buffed it. I have always thought Lao's U3 was one of the very few who could catch crossups.
Yeah I agree, it even hits twice, that's why I'm wondering if this was even a real buff or if it was just cleaning up some inconsistency.

Can anyone explain the frame data of Kung Lao's ground teleport? According to the game teleport starts-up in 16 frames so I take that and combine it with the start-up of the different options. Hat swipe is 10 frames for a total of 26, overhead is 12 for 28, grab is 11 for 27, and spin is 21 for 37. Now I end most of my combos with f1,2 which is +47 on hit and then teleport after and if you do it fast enough they can't jab you out of it. Now I know none of this matters since they can just up3, but that costs them 2 bars so I'm gonna make them do it. The thing is, shouldn't any knockdown greater than 28 frames also work for the first 3 options? I can end my combos with a 3rd spin and get a knockdown of about +34 and that should work but it doesn't. I can record the combo in training mode and easily hit him out of it, why? Am I just understanding the frame data wrong or is it something else?

Teleport takes longer than 16 frames, since you can react to it online. It's not a good option vs their wakeup, because they can just delayed wakeup and punish your whiff.

Teleport takes longer than 16 frames, since you can react to it online. It's not a good option vs their wakeup, because they can just delayed wakeup and punish your whiff.
If they are gonna use delay wakeup to avoid my setup I don't necessarily consider that a bad thing because they are giving up all of their ability to up3 and roll. Yes, they may catch me with it the first time but if they continue to do it you can manually delay your teleport, enhance it to make the timing easier, or you could also just dash up still make them guess overhead, low, or grab. I feel with delayed wakeup I get an even more advantageous position.

Denny

Noob
What does the community perceive as this character's weaknesses?
Being on the receiving end, I see an un-anti-airable Abomination that Teleports unpunishably and launches you for 35% off any string with Meter Burn Spin.

What's the reality with Lao?

Pygmy_Potato

BF4+FF+BLK
What does the community perceive as this character's weaknesses?
Being on the receiving end, I see an un-anti-airable Abomination that Teleports unpunishably and launches you for 35% off any string with Meter Burn Spin.

What's the reality with Lao?
Teleports unpunishably? He’s meter hungry. Doesn’t have plus frames or mix-ups so relies on strike/throw and Jks were nerfed.

That said, he’s still a very good character that can convert nearly anything into substantial damage like you said.

Bigzo

Noob
So can Kung Lao just jump whenever he wants? If I push a button, then he can just pound my chest in with ex down 4. If hold block to respect it, he just either jump 4s for plus 4 on block and start pressure or do nothing, land, and throw. It’s like whenever he leaves the ground all I can do is pray. It’s bullshit.

Denny

Noob
Teleports unpunishably?
Yes. If you block, he throws. If you do anything else, he kicks. If you try to move, he does the little air-spin that KBs.

He’s meter hungry. Doesn’t have plus frames or mix-ups so relies on strike/throw and Jks were nerfed.
Everyone is meter hungry, it's how this game works so I'm not going to accept that as a valid weakness I'm afraid.
His F1 I think it was, may not be plus but I got launched more times than I can count for trying to take my turn after it on block. Its frame data seems pretty inconsistent. Or it might just be online, not sure.

The question still stands: What are Lao's actual weaknesses?

Zviko

Noob
Yes. If you block, he throws. If you do anything else, he kicks. If you try to move, he does the little air-spin that KBs.
Spin is only a KB if it's right after he does a teleport throw. You'll never ever see that. Every single teleport option is punishable by a simple D1 right after he comes out of the ground and then full combo from there. So you don't even have to guess. You can also just forward jump and some characters with air specials punish easily from that.
Lotus Fist is meter hungry although it does come back pretty fast, still, he almost never has breakaway because of it. The other 2 variations basically have no strings that are safe. F12, F4 and 12(1) are all they have. His trash teleport is also the reason why he doesn't do that well against zoners.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
NInjakiller does a good analysis here:

So, the biggest weaknesses are that he gets zoned out and he's more meter hungry than most since Orbiting Hat requires both an offensive and a defensive bar. His Divekick makes is tough to keep him out, but not impossible.

Against his teleport, just walk or dash forward and you can avoid and punish all options. So you see him throw his hat for the tp, just press forward so he appears far behind you.