What's new

Tech - Sub-Zero Kuai Liang skin hitbox is better.

Lokheit

Noob
I was testing an specific combo (Cryomancer combo, not related to all the corner klone issues) that can only be done against some characters (apparently can't be done against females and also against some smaller/thiner males like Takeda) and found something interesting with Sub-Zero.

The combo connected against him on his main costume, the revenant one, the klassic one... but it wouldn't connect against his Kuai Liang skin. I've tried a lot of times, can pull it against his other skins and many other characters but I can't use it against the Kuai Liang skin.

I don't know if this was already known but apparently either the hitbox or the gravity on that skin seem to have female-ish properties. I've heard of other skins doing this before but didn't know Subbie had one, I always pick the main costume for my Cryo but I'm thinking about picking the Kuai Liang more if it can make some combos harder to use against him.

The combo that I was testing was too specific (a 3 bars midscreen Cryo combo for 53% damage, just for fun not that I would spend the resourcers during a match) but it leads me to believe there might be some combos (like Grand Master corner combos) that could be harder against Subbie in this costume.

At first I thought the combo had been patched out with MKXL because I could use it on PC, but then I realized that on PS4 I usually pick the other Subbie skin when practicing and that's why I couldn't connect the combo.

Last edited:

Solignac

Noob
You know, I thought I was crazy because I always used the Kuai Liang skin and kept seeing inconsistencies with my combos. Everything just felt like it had a tighter window whenever I used that skin. I ended up switching back to alt color default sub and I stopped having issues. I'm glad I'm not batshit insane and someone else has found something similar. Kuai Liang just didn't feel right but I never fully tested it out.

E

Eldriken

I'm getting so tired of "well hopefully the next NRS game doesn't have this shit in it". Personally I'd like to see them neglect Injustice 2, and work on absolutely perfecting this game with more patches, and add another Kombat Pack to make it worth their while.
I'm sure there are plenty more that are right there with you, dude. I'd love it if they did plan on fixing all the hitbox issues. But that's probably not on anyone's "To Do" list. It's unfortunate.

Lokheit

Noob
I've been labbing it on xb1 and I don't notice a difference from skin to skin.
The specific combo that I was using was Cryomancer: B2-Cold Blooded EX Hammer - Cold Blooded EX Hammer - Cold Blooded EX Iceball - JIP Cold Blooded regular hammer.

It won't connect after the F4-2 part of the third Cold Blooded.

It can be done mid screen (if you use stamina to carry the opponent a bit after the first EX Hammer so he is closer to the corner) or in the corner (in the corner there is a combo dealing some extra decimals for 3 bars anyway, but for testing purposes).

If you use it against Scorpion, Kotal, Quan Chi... it connects, but against females or Takeda (haven't tested with everyone so I don't have the full list) it won't connect.

Sub-Zero seems to beling to the first group but his Kuai Liang skin avoids the combo. I haven't tried other combos but the fact that there is a difference with his other skins leads me to believe there will be some others (probably only some very tight combos, but there is a difference).

ll Nooby ll

To Live is to Die
I've also noticed this with MK3 Kung Lao. My reasoning is that a certain Kano corner combo, B312 into a NJP, doesn't work against females and Lao if he's in his MK3 costume.

Somea2V

Thread Referee
Interesting. Who knew skins would cause you trouble to do combos?
I'd wager no one, as there isn't a feasible reason for something like this to exist. These fusterclucks of inconsistency are already making me wish MKX was dead and they already announced their next project.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
You know I just kind of assumed NRS would be smart enough to quietly patch this shit out after it caused so many issues in MK9, but alas I should have known better.

@colt fix your hitboxes god damn it.

Misky

Clinch should be a command grab
I'd wager no one, as there isn't a feasible reason for something like this to exist. These fusterclucks of inconsistency are already making me wish MKX was dead and they already announced their next project.
I actually heard about this kind of thing quite a while ago, it's had me worried when I change skins... Why just give up and move on? Surely it would be better to just fix this shit rather than announcing a new project.

Somea2V

Thread Referee
I actually heard about this kind of thing quite a while ago, it's had me worried when I change skins... Why just give up and move on? Surely it would be better to just fix this shit rather than announcing a new project.
I'm sorry, but at this point after the amount of nonsense that has slipped by and NRS's track record of supporting games this late in the life, I think it's foolish to think anything like this would be addressed.