What's new

General/Other - Kotal Kahn Kotals Tier list placement as of now.

Is Kotal a top 10 character

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Raiderhorn

White Lotus
Other than Kotal's 1,1 hitbox being slightly improved, have any pokes been changed in frames?
People are still finding frame changes because patch notes give a huge generalization of "made some corrections to movelist frame data"

xZoro

War God.
Other than Kotal's 1,1 hitbox being slightly improved, have any pokes been changed in frames?
People are still finding frame changes because patch notes give a huge generalization of "made some corrections to movelist frame data"
I'd love to be able to answer that, but AFAIK no, no changes to frames.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
Like mentioned already, I wouldn't be comfortable placing him in the Top 10, but he's a very solid upper-mid tier that just barely misses it.

lm Tweakk

#BuffAntiAirs
Kotal is top 10 wtf , he's got the tools to deal with everything. He gets zoned out? Lmfao he's got better tools to deal with zoning than most of the cast , a projectile parry , ex Sunstone eats projectiles , j1 , f1.

As far as his rushdown aspect goes , he's got great anti airs , and can convert for 40/50 percent any where on the screen. His ex Sunstone is plus as fuck , and have fun eating 16% trying to armor through. B1 , a 9 frame advancing anti airing stagger-able mid , that you can tick throw off of. Best d1 in the game , honestly. He can't NOT be top 10

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
I don't want to disagree, but I'm gonna play devil's advocate.
Let me know if any of these characters I will name are currently less equipped than Kotal to deal with the cast.
Lao, Jax, Sonya, Sub, Mileena, Takeda, Shinnok, Kano, Johnny, Liu, Reptile, & D'vorah.
These are just 12, and I eliminated some that are debatable such as Pred, Ermac, Kitana, Scorpion, Cassie, Kung Jin, and Quan.
Currently you are right that Kotal is definitely the best he has ever been. And he is a very good solid character. However he has several major weaknesses that hold him back from being fearless such as other top characters. He gets zoned out by at least 7 characters, has holes all over the place and has trouble successfully baiting his holes off b122, f1b2, d4, f34, and worst of all b14, these are his 2 biggest issues. Many characters don't even have weaknesses.
He is a great character right now but simply by definition if there are 10+ characters better than Kotal he can't be top 10. A strong argument can be made for top 15 that few would even think to disagree with.
I would like to end saying Kotal is in a great position right now as a king of upper mid-tier. Saying he is higher warrants debate.
He has better normals than most of the cast you mentioned.

B1~grab and b13~grab staggers in Sun God are hard to deal with.
War God is constant guessing games. Alternating overhead and low sword, the hit box of overhead sword is great when people are jump happy or even armor for one of the better armor moves in the game cuz it hits twice.

Adding the 40% one meter he gets, amazing anti air, jip is one of the best in game, he forward advances really well, his corner pressure is great with mb disc, his air grab cancel for added pressure.

Yeah. He's a force.

Zoning is only really effective full screen since his jip is so good and he doesn't rely super heavy on meter so he can use mb disc for hard knockdown with fast startup

The Highlander

There can be only one
I think the community neds to stop numbering the characters and just have tiers. This good is to balanced to have a agreed upon top 10
Or even better match-up charts. People love looking at characters tools, but having great pokes isn't a good thing if the character loses to 15 characters. Also lots of character forums have wildly different opinions on who their character loses to, a match-up list would help sort that out, or cause drama...

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I think any of these characters could be argued into the top ten for one reason or another: Cage, Jax, Mileena, D'Vorah, Alien, Ferra/Torr, Takeda, Kung Jin, Cassie Cage, Liu Kang, Sub-Zero, Kotal Kahn, Reptile, Scorpion, Sektor, Shinnok, Kano, Kung Lao, Sonya, Quan Chi, and Leatherface. So yeah that's 22/36(counting robots as seperate) characters that I would put in the S-A+ range. So does it really matter is a Kotal a Kahn is top ten?

xZoro

War God.
I think any of these characters could be argued into the top ten for one reason or another: Cage, Jax, Mileena, D'Vorah, Alien, Ferra/Torr, Takeda, Kung Jin, Cassie Cage, Liu Kang, Sub-Zero, Kotal Kahn, Reptile, Scorpion, Sektor, Shinnok, Kano, Kung Lao, Sonya, Quan Chi, and Leatherface. So yeah that's 22/36(counting robots as seperate) characters that I would put in the S-A+ range. So does it really matter is a Kotal a Kahn is top ten?
Not really.

Just humoring myself as to find out people's opinions.

TKB

Noob
IMO yes he is top 10. He's almost surely the most well rounded in the game between his three variations as well.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Its pretty obvious that hes top ten now. His neutral/pokes are as good as anyone. His mixups are top and has a great wakeup..
With zoning get wrecked (sektor/ predator/ tremor) he is def top

Generalbit

The blade of osh-tekk is stale.
He has better normals than most of the cast you mentioned.

B1~grab and b13~grab staggers in Sun God are hard to deal with.
War God is constant guessing games. Alternating overhead and low sword, the hit box of overhead sword is great when people are jump happy or even armor for one of the better armor moves in the game cuz it hits twice.

Adding the 40% one meter he gets, amazing anti air, jip is one of the best in game, he forward advances really well, his corner pressure is great with mb disc, his air grab cancel for added pressure.

Yeah. He's a force.

Zoning is only really effective full screen since his jip is so good and he doesn't rely super heavy on meter so he can use mb disc for hard knockdown with fast startup
He may have better normals than a lot of characters. But at the same time the ones I mentioned are overall better characters with less bad matchup. Great normals don't necessarily put a character over other all around better characters.

Initially when I read the title I was like yes he's def top 10. But you all have made some good arguments and I've changed my my mind that's he's in the mix but not for sure top 10. One thing I will say is he has two of the best normals in the game in b1 and f1 and 2 of the best pokes in d1 and d4. His neutral is great, but I agree in that he can be zoned out esp. in War God. Luckily zoning in this game is weak with the run mechanic and you just have to be patient because when you get in b1 and f1 range it's party time!