What's new

General/Other - Kotal Kahn Kotals Tier list placement as of now.

Is Kotal a top 10 character

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

xZoro

War God.
Hey guys.

I've mained war god Kotal, since day 1. While I know the character has never been bad, and i'm quite blessed in this regard, I don't think he has ever been in a better place than he is now.

With the 2 most recent patches, one last night on the 29/03/16, and 01/03/16 respectively, I feel Kotal has been pushing up the tier list seemingly un-noticed. I have 3 Main reasons for thinking this. Please, take all this as opinion. I personally feel Kotal is now a top 10 character, but others may not and that's fine. Here are the 3 reasons I feel that Kotal is now in the best position since launch

1. He has not recieved ANY nerfs in recent patches, while many of the characters competing with him have

Okay, so If we look at the characters that are in and around Kotal prior to the patches. (Pre 01/03/16). We see many faces that have either been nerfed, or changed in a way that make them weaker. Prime examples being Tremor, Jax, and most of the S tier echelon characters. Although these characters getting worse does not inherently make Kotal better, It leaves an opening that he could possibly take in the top 10 characters. If we discount Tanya, Tremor, Jax, Quan. That's 4 spaces that other characters could occupy in the top 10. I personally feel Kotal does now Occupy one of those spaces.

Kotal has been seen in the top 3 of the last 2 majors worldwide.

Over the last 2 weeks, 2 tournaments have taken place. Final Round 19 in the US, and Viennality, In Austria. In both of these tournaments, a Kotal Kahn player has made top 3. These are Pnut, and Tekken master respectively. I can already see the 'Tournament placings dont mean top tier' Argument coming, and that's true. But, Kotal has never placed anywhere near top 3, with the same representation, nobody new has picked Kotal up and played him in tournament.

Kotal's tools deal with the higher tier characters better now than they did before.

Okay this is the one that is gonna get me roasted, if any do.

In the current state of the game, the dust is just beginning to settle as to the characters that are seen as super good in the new meta post 01/03/16. Characters such as Mileena, Alien, Johnny, are all seen as super good. Pre 01/03/16, Characters such as Lao, Liu, Quan, Tremor, Tanya dominated the competitive scene, and they were the hyper S+ of the game.

My point here, is that the higher tier characters of old, aforementioned examples included, dealt with Kotal far better than the new ones do. I'm not going to go into too much detail with this, I don't have the effort in me, and I'm sure there's already another 'Top 5' debate thread going on, which was made after patch day *Sigh*.

TL;DR Kotal's bad MU are now lower in the tier list than before, making him more viable in more situatuons and betterr in a tournament setting.

Well that's me.
I personally feel Kotal is around the 8-10 position, with characters like Kano Cockblocking him from being higher, but i'm always open to opinion, debate, people telling me i'm a fucking moron. So fire away.

Kotal_Wannabe

AKA AndyPandy
No doubt kotal is better than before but he still suffers from a fair few bad matchups which haven't changed much, maybe he's around top 15 at a stretch given the nerfs of other characters, top 10 has alot of competition and I think there are alot of other stronger characters deserving of a place there.

xZoro

War God.
No doubt kotal is better than before but he still suffers from a fair few bad matchups which haven't changed much, maybe he's around top 15 at a stretch given the nerfs of other characters, top 10 has alot of competition and I think there are alot of other stronger characters deserving of a place there.
I feel that.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
I've used sun god since day one and he's much better than he used to be, but i don't think he was ever bad, just more tech was revealed and more time with the character and learning to deal with other characters have made him appear more often.

I don't think he's top 10, 12 or 11 maybe. But he's definitely top 5 as far as solid all around characters go with amazing normals and viability for all variations.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Who are his bad mus?
For me (WG) I have Grandmaster, HQT, Takeda, Alien, Tremor and Kitana as bad MUs. I'll usually avoid using Kotal against any of these characters (might just be me tho lol).

Jax and Reptile are also tough but idk if they're a bad MU.

TommyKing5

But the saw... the saw is family
Top 5? I wish.
Top 10? Potentially.
Top 15? For sure.

Kotal right now is the best he's ever been. He has great mids, pokes, forward advancing strings, air normals, damage, plus frames and tick throws...

Even after the ex pizza buff he still has trouble getting in on certain characters, albeit a little easier than pre-XL.

In my opinion, Kotal is one of the most balanced and honest characters in the game.

Wolverine32

PSN: ADM_Wolverine
I think as a complete character including all 3 variations he is definitely top ten as far as complete chars go. But with the variation system some variations elevate chars to top tier status. He's like Quan or Lao in a sense that his base (buttons, frame data, etc...) is good across the three variations but then the layer on top i.e. the variation makes them better. Where someone like ShaoJin for example has so many better options than ancestral and bo that it raises his tier status much more. I just think the variation system makes the whole idea of a tier list in this game hard to grapple.

Generalbit

The blade of osh-tekk is stale.
I don't want to disagree, but I'm gonna play devil's advocate.
Let me know if any of these characters I will name are currently less equipped than Kotal to deal with the cast.
Jax, Sonya, Sub, Mileena, Takeda, Shinnok, Kano, Johnny, Liu, Reptile, & D'vorah.
These are just 11, and I eliminated some that are debatable such as Pred, Ermac, Kitana, Scorpion, Cassie, Kung Jin, Lao, and Quan.
Currently you are right that Kotal is definitely the best he has ever been. And he is a very good solid character. However he has several major weaknesses that hold him back from being fearless such as other top characters. He gets zoned out by at least 7 characters, has holes all over the place and has trouble successfully baiting his holes off b122, f1b2, d4, f34, and worst of all b14, these are his 2 biggest issues. Many characters don't even have weaknesses.
He is a great character right now but simply by definition if there are 10+ characters better than Kotal he can't be top 10. A strong argument can be made for top 15 that few would even think to disagree with.
I would like to end saying Kotal is in a great position right now as a king of upper mid-tier. Saying he is higher warrants debate.

Last edited:

xZoro

War God.
I don't want to disagree, but I'm gonna play devil's advocate.
Let me know if any of these characters I will name are currently less equipped than Kotal to deal with the cast.
Lao, Jax, Sonya, Sub, Mileena, Takeda, Shinnok, Kano, Johnny, Liu, Reptile, & D'vorah.
These are just 12, and I eliminated some that are debatable such as Pred, Ermac, Kitana, Scorpion, Cassie, Kung Jin, and Quan.
Currently you are right that Kotal is definitely the best he has ever been. And he is a very good solid character. However he has several major weaknesses that hold him back from being fearless such as other top characters. He gets zoned out by at least 7 characters, has holes all over the place and has trouble successfully baiting his holes off b122, f1b2, d4, f34, and worst of all b14, these are his 2 biggest issues. Many characters don't even have weaknesses.
He is a great character right now but simply by definition if there are 10+ characters better than Kotal he can't be top 10. A strong argument can be made for top 15 that few would even think to disagree with.
I would like to end saying Kotal is in a great position right now as a king of upper mid-tier. Saying he is higher warrants debate.
Thank you for at least putting logic into this, rather than 'Kotals braindead lol'

I feel what you're saying, and this is honestly the crux of Kotal's tier placing.
It's not how good HE is, but the others around him.

EMPEROR_KNICKS

Master of Kombat(frauds)
look imo there are at least 13-15 characters better than kotal.
Shinnok,Kano,Johhny, Liu, reptile,ferra torr, dvorah,kung jin, cassie, mileena, subzero, sonya, jax, predator, ermac.