What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Kotal Kahn Kotal v Tremor at least 7-3?

What do you think?

• 5-5 and best MU discussion I ever read

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • 6-4 Kotal's favor and best MU discussion I ever read

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • 6-4 Tremor's favor and best MU discussion I ever read

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • 7-3 Kotal's favor and best MU discussion I ever read

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • 7-3 Tremor's favor and best MU discussion I ever read

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • 8-2 or worse in Kotal's favor and best MU discussion I ever read

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8-2 or worse in Tremor's favor and best MU discussion I ever read

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Was playing a tremor at a NY local and it seemed like Kotal wins this MU. I played Sun God and the Tremor was either Metallic or Aftershock.
Whenever I run sets with him he mostly uses Aftershock so I'd assume it was that variation you faced when you came, though I can't remember for sure. Yall had some good matches from what I saw.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Wait what? I'm a kotal? I'm more a tremor than anything.
Still if you wanna be patient I can grind out Kotal in the lab and maybe fish out some new tech.
I just scrolled through the Kotal forum section and looked at names that popped up that I remember seeing around. Well if you're a Tremor mind giving some insight on this MU from Tremor's side. I don't think there is anything Tremor really brings in his favor that Kotal has to worry about besides matching him in damage.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
I just scrolled through the Kotal forum section and looked at names that popped up that I remember seeing around. Well if you're a Tremor mind giving some insight on this MU from Tremor's side. I don't think there is anything Tremor really brings in his favor that Kotal has to worry about besides matching him in damage.
The best Tremors keep the lava overhead in play at every opportunity. That keeps KK's damage output from dominating the matchup.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Whenever I run sets with him he mostly uses Aftershock so I'd assume it was that variation you faced when you came, though I can't remember for sure. Yall had some good matches from what I saw.
Yeah they were pretty fun. He ran both variations. Surprisingly no crystal which in hindsight was probably the best choice for the Kotal matchup. It seemed difficult for him to get much started for the reasons I stated above but it only takes one mistake for Tremor to get his momentum rolling. That's why I think it's 7-3. I feel it's more in favor for Kotal than 6-5 but mistimed poke or parry could give Tremor enough room. Basically, I never felt I was in a position Tremor forced me in. More like I messed up and put myself there.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
The best Tremors keep the lava overhead in play at every opportunity. That keeps KK's damage output from dominating the matchup.
What do you mean exactly. Cause in neutral that's free damage buffs for Kotal.

GAV

What do you mean exactly. Cause in neutral that's free damage buffs for Kotal.
The buffs need hits to make an impact and the overhead lava cuts combos short. That lava is the KK combo killer. That makes it the key in this matchup.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
The buffs need hits to make an impact and the overhead lava cuts combos short. That lava is the KK combo killer. That makes it the key in this matchup.
I'm confused. When you say it "cuts combos short" do you mean doing lava drop and having it trade with kotal pressing buttons? And even if Kotal has to score a hit to make the parry useful, I'd rather get hit with normal Kotal combos than put him in a position to do even more meterless damage.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Kotal doesn't really have much to talk about in the ranged aspect except maybe parry, and that only gets him so far. Tremor also has multiple types of zone control options so closing in isn't always as easy as one might think.
Kotal also lacks good armor outside of War God, so he is a bit vulnerable to mix-ups that come from metallic or aftershock.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
It's a 5-5 matchup in all variations .Kinda feels like jax vs tremor.It's just pure mindless violence .
Please expand on that.

Kotal doesn't really have much to talk about in the ranged aspect except maybe parry, and that only gets him so far. Tremor also has multiple types of zone control options so closing in isn't always as easy as one might think.
Kotal also lacks good armor outside of War God, so he is a bit vulnerable to mix-ups that come from metallic or aftershock.
Its funny because I feel that parry allows him to control range much better than Tremor since not only does he completely nullify Tremor's projectiles, he also gets a damage buff for a few seconds. This coupled with sun ray and nicely timed ex disc makes me feel Kotal forces Tremor to come in close and I feel Kotal wins there too. It doesn't help that each one of Tremor's specials are completely react-able.

I've gotten great use out of ex grab with Sun God. Levels 1 and 2 give me oki and level 3 gives me 18%. Which while not amazing is still pretty good. Plus gives me space.

We should play. Please tell me you are on PSN or PC.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Please expand on that.

Its funny because I feel that parry allows him to control range much better than Tremor since not only does he completely nullify Tremor's projectiles, he also gets a damage buff for a few seconds. This coupled with sun ray and nicely timed ex disc makes me feel Kotal forces Tremor to come in close and I feel Kotal wins there too. It doesn't help that each one of Tremor's specials are completely react-able.

I've gotten great use out of ex grab with Sun God. Levels 1 and 2 give me oki and level 3 gives me 18%. Which while not amazing is still pretty good. Plus gives me space.

We should play. Please tell me you are on PSN or PC.
While you are correct, the real issue is if you want to trade you HAVE to spend a bar for the EX pizza. Meanwhile Tremor gets meter if you parry or not, and "reactable" is true but you can't parry the ground shake, meaning you run the risk of simply eating 8% by trying to parry every rock. The problem comes that you have to keep an eye on the rock itself, not tremor, to know what timing to use after it leaves his hands. You don't have time to look back, study his movements, and react. You're left to guess, especially after an EX up rock because he is pretty + afterwards. Kotal can survive in the full-screen game, but he isn't in a winning situation when he is stuck there.

EX grab is good but Tremor has a fair amount of grab immunity. Notably his f.3 overhead is completely grab immune. f.4 is grab immune. A lot of his moves outright outrange MB grab, and his metallic restand leaves him at that good range. Not to fault EX grab, its good to check with, but its certainly not a fool-proof answer.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
Was playing a tremor at a NY local and it seemed like Kotal wins this MU. I played Sun God and the Tremor was either Metallic or Aftershock.

I personally feel his buttons in neutral are overall better than Tremor. Kotal's d4 is pretty good and as Sun God I get a deceptively ranged tick throw. The range and quickness (6f) really helps with beating Tremor's f1 and s2 which are a big part of his offense. Tremor's b1 (the spin slap) is 19f startup while Kotal's b1(the tick throw elbow) and f1 are 10f and 11f startup respectively.

If Kotal gets the life lead he can effectively outzone or at least win the long range battle. Sun ray makes Tremor change positioning. Ex Sun Disc hits for 16% which Tremor can't match and Kotal might be able to still block after it hits Tremor. If Kotal doesn't want to spend bar he can parry every single projectile Tremor does from afar. Tremor's moves are slow enough that you can react to anything he does, giving Kotal essentially free damage buffs.

As Sun God, I can also give myself a meter boost or a health boost at the cost of meter. Tremor stuff being slow also allows me to easily build sun charges. I don't play the other 2 variations but I assume Tremor's lack of effective mixups and slow projectiles make him easy to block and really capitalize on obsidian totem. I don't know much about how War God's variation specific stuff would affect the MU.

It just seems like Kotal counters everything Tremor could do. Which is why I think the MU is at least 7-3 in Kotal's favor. There doesn't seem to be much MU talk and this was one I recently experienced so I figured I'd stir up some discussion.

Some Kotal tags: @Qwark28 @AK L0rdoftheFLY @podizzler3000 @AoK Ryan @Doombawkz

@EGP Wonder_Chef (Idk if chef plays Kotal but he does play tremor and it seems like he's fluent in a bunch of characters)

Please tag any Tremors that may know the MU
what part of ny are you in? i can play you with my tremor. I personally think its in tremors favor.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
If you are are winning with Kotal against Tremor at full screen(like a zone fest), you are playing a lot better then the other guy. All's Tremor has to do is not get hit by Sun Disk, his job of throwing rocks and making earthquakes is easier then Kotal's hard reads.

I'm gonna say 6-4 in Tremor's favor. While Kotal has the tools to win, he has to get in first and unless he's War God he has no armored wakeup to help stop Tremor's excellent corner game. And if he's War God he has no parry to fullscreen turtle with.

To be fair, while I play Kotal I've never played a good Tremor using him, my experience with the MU is from Tremor's view.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
I dont play neither Kotal nor Tremor so this is me just rambling, but isnt the "crystal armor" special a problem for both BG and SG?

I dont know, maybe is hard to set up or is just not that useful, but I thougt those variations would have problems against that move. Could someone explain what is the impact it has in the match if it even has any?

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
Maybe aftershock and metallic..

I don't see this being bad for crystalline unless it's vs war good.

Crystalline crystal armor stops any mix up kotal has and prevents sun god and blood god from waking up safely.

War god armor hits twice, but if first hit breaks armor, second hit can be blocked

I'm at work otherwise I'd go more in depth

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
While you are correct, the real issue is if you want to trade you HAVE to spend a bar for the EX pizza. Meanwhile Tremor gets meter if you parry or not, and "reactable" is true but you can't parry the ground shake, meaning you run the risk of simply eating 8% by trying to parry every rock. The problem comes that you have to keep an eye on the rock itself, not tremor, to know what timing to use after it leaves his hands. You don't have time to look back, study his movements, and react. You're left to guess, especially after an EX up rock because he is pretty + afterwards. Kotal can survive in the full-screen game, but he isn't in a winning situation when he is stuck there.

EX grab is good but Tremor has a fair amount of grab immunity. Notably his f.3 overhead is completely grab immune. f.4 is grab immune. A lot of his moves outright outrange MB grab, and his metallic restand leaves him at that good range. Not to fault EX grab, its good to check with, but its certainly not a fool-proof answer.
You lost me with explaining how the parry is used and the fact kotal has to guess. Why does kotal have to guess if you can easily tell which move is being used?

I think Kotal might be fine with spending bar, at least in sun god since he can just make meter.

what part of ny are you in? i can play you with my tremor. I personally think its in tremors favor.
I'm in CT. Just took a trip to NY. I'm on psn and pc if you want to try online. . .

@buyacushun
We need to run more matches. I havent played tremor since I started playing Jax. I could use some more Kotal matchup exp.
Definitely man. When can you play again?

If you are are winning with Kotal against Tremor at full screen(like a zone fest), you are playing a lot better then the other guy. All's Tremor has to do is not get hit by Sun Disk, his job of throwing rocks and making earthquakes is easier then Kotal's hard reads.

I'm gonna say 6-4 in Tremor's favor. While Kotal has the tools to win, he has to get in first and unless he's War God he has no armored wakeup to help stop Tremor's excellent corner game. And if he's War God he has no parry to fullscreen turtle with.

To be fair, while I play Kotal I've never played a good Tremor using him, my experience with the MU is from Tremor's view.
The thing is I feel Kotal can just time ex disc to at least trade. Or at least put down Sun ray and parry.

I dont play neither Kotal nor Tremor so this is me just rambling, but isnt the "crystal armor" special a problem for both BG and SG?

I dont know, maybe is hard to set up or is just not that useful, but I thougt those variations would have problems against that move. Could someone explain what is the impact it has in the match if it even has any?
I forget exactly but someone did a bit testing around the time Dave gave his thoughts on tremor. Basically, armor regulates kotal to using things like d4 to break the armor.

Maybe aftershock and metallic..

I don't see this being bad for crystalline unless it's vs war good.

Crystalline crystal armor stops any mix up kotal has and prevents sun god and blood god from waking up safely.

War god armor hits twice, but if first hit breaks armor, second hit can be blocked

I'm at work otherwise I'd go more in depth
It's probably easier in crystal. The guy I played didn't use that variation and I said that maybe he should have. Then the MU probably turns even. We should play again.

@1man3letters any thoughts on this MU?

GAV

I'm confused. When you say it "cuts combos short" do you mean doing lava drop and having it trade with kotal pressing buttons? And even if Kotal has to score a hit to make the parry useful, I'd rather get hit with normal Kotal combos than put him in a position to do even more meterless damage.
When Tremor fires the overhead Lava special, its out. It doesn't go away if Tremor is hit, meaning KK can get a touch - but not land big damage because the lava can still hit and break it up.

What I'm saying is that Tremor players need to get good at placing the lava first. Then, work on rounding things out after that. The Lava Special is THAT IMPORTANT to his game, so get good with it - and learn to keep it in play at all times.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
When Tremor fires the overhead Lava special, its out. It doesn't go away if Tremor is hit, meaning KK can get a touch - but not land big damage because the lava can still hit and break it up.

What I'm saying is that Tremor players need to get good at placing the lava first. Then, work on rounding things out after that. The Lava Special is THAT IMPORTANT to his game, so get good with it - and learn to keep it in play at all times.
Ok I see, you're saying use the threat of the lava interrupting combos. That could definitely mess with things for kotal. Making him do less than optimal things like f12.