What's new

Match Footage - Kotal Kahn Kotal Kahn Video thread

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
@STB Hellbringer, a lot of good stuff in your matches. I was impressed with how you:

- Used nearly every worthwhile string and unique attack that Kotal has, while also mixing in throws.
- Ended a lot of your strings and pressure with Sword Shake/Cancels. Very few players are using this tech yet.
- Punished Kitana's in your face float with EN OH Sword, though there were other times you missed this opportunity.
- During a lot of the matches, were patient (which you have to be against a character Kitana).
- Chased her down with a really nice F2 ant-air, though you didn't get the full combo conversion.
- Tried to use regular Saw as an anti-air.

Some recommendations:

- After hitting with EN OH Sword, you were using B122 into Sword Throw or Shake. While these can be good setups, I would have like to see you go for the standard F1B1 Saw ender for continued, in your face, oki, to mix it up.
- We didn't use to have to respect Kitana's wakeup, but now we do. You know this I'm sure, it's just an adjustment. As Aquaman recommended to me a bit ago, doing a standing or crouching 1 into EN OH Sword can blow up some character's armored wakeups. I haven't tried this against Kitana yet, but maybe. Not 100% since she goes airborne.
- You used F12 a decent amount. Against a character like Kitana, which has relatively slow buttons, that's not a big deal, but be careful about relying on it too much, or you'll get blown up by other characters.
- Saw very little D1 or D4 pressure.
- I liked the idea behind the EN God Ray in the last match, but I find it often doesn't work out. I think if you had kept the meter, used the other to work your way in behind EN Sword Throw, it could have won you the match.
- Speaking of EN Sword Throw, I didn't see much block pressure. The second 1 in 114 might whiff on her, can't remember, but you can use strings with gaps to achieve the same effect (i.e. B122), especially when she doesn't have meter.
- OS the F1B2 string will give you the best risk/reward. This is something I still need to work on too.

Again though, solid play overall. Hope the above helps!
Thanks man.

Yeah i can go a little bit too crazy sometimes with f12, but alot of times i wantee to f1b2 instead of f12 :p

Also i know i should use 114 pressure alot more but against female characters i rather not use it too much but i think in this set i barely used it i think.

The swordshake cancel is good and alot of ppl dont know how to deal with it. Altough it can be very risky too but i love the mindgames with the swordshake.
But thats what makes kotal so hard to block because he has so many different stuff he can do that always keeps you on your toes.

Yeah ending with b122 ended with sword throw was abit silly from me, not sure why i kept doing it. My standard go to is f1b2 df2.

How do i OS the f1b2 string? Do i do something like f1b2-db1 d d block?

Thanks for taking the time to do a review man. Much apreciated!

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
My new blood bnb when f1b2 connects. Especially at the start of the game.

F1b2, crystal totem, b14, ex air toss, f2, d2 - 44% 1 bar

Only watched the first few sec so far. I'll watch more and give input. Love blood god
Hey man, i play with bloodgod alot, would u mind reviewing my video of i record some matches with bloodgod? Would be great. I saw most of your gameplay videos but can't say much, im not really good at reviewing and critizing :p)
cheers :)
(same for @Jeffrey Wolf )

ValeDJ

Noob
Here's my blood god! My first tie match ever lol
Loved the second round. Here are a few thoughts as BG is my main anyway:

-Throwing out his sun stone is so risky against a char such as Erron or anyone with a fast special. Only time I would throw one out would would be after a throw for chip or after a b14(ex) after some run in pressure
-No matter what, always cancel a string into a totem after hit confirming - 0:43 is a prime example. Online is a bitch sometimes, and I often get flustered with my button inputs on a bad day of rust
-At 0:48, I would have just used b122-CTotem, instead of ending on his df1; pulling up the CTotem when neutral standing at this point kinda makes the hard work nullified for getting the first bit of meter at the start. When you pull up a CTotem after b122, it gives you a tonne of pressure options
-As Kotal's f1b2 is so damn good, you'll just need to get use throwing in a totem after f1b2 - but again, I sometimes throw up f12 if I've not been having a good day at the office
-After a d4, I cancel into a totem, then sometimes f1b2...its amazing how many people don't block the b2 of that string online. It's risky, but the reward is great
-1:11, after b122, I would have cancelled into sunlight - he was in the corner, and with Kotal's range of pressure, it would have made him either come towards you or stand there holding block catching rays
-Tie round...never seen it haha
-After that, you just went nuts in the corner - which is what BG is all about!

Hope that helps man!

Harry Otter

Zoning Master
My new blood bnb when f1b2 connects. Especially at the start of the game.

F1b2, crystal totem, b14, ex air toss, f2, d2 - 44% 1 bar

Only watched the first few sec so far. I'll watch more and give input. Love blood god
Thank you so much for the info! Helped my Blood god a lot!

Your combo is ideal but I have a lot of trouble connecting the B14 :(

I'm loving blood god and it's making my other Kotals stronger.

Here's a vid of my war, probably my strongest out of the 3. I need to get back to sun god again though

mattnin

Noob
There is a new video of Mr Aquaman winning a weekly with WG Kotal vs Quan Summoner. I wish I could post the link but I can't find the post. It shows badass use of his high/low/throw mix ups and awesome confirms.

mattnin

Noob
Hey guys, I'll join you here if you don't mind. :)

I know I'm doing lots of unsafe and gimmicky stuff in this video, anything else I could improve on?

And my War God:

That's a pretty advanced Blood God. The first matches in that video were the best IMO when you showed successful parry use and air takedown. It's rare to ever see that. Not to mention the nice b14,ex df3 corner starter into the difficult d1,114 combos. Plenty of ballsy combos too using f2,f2,f2, many including myself play safe with just f2,f2. If there is anything I would suggest, I would only say to continue working on your excellent parry and air takedown and keep posting videos of it. Great Blood God video.

Atriox

Here... I am a god!
That's a pretty advanced Blood God. The first matches in that video were the best IMO when you showed successful parry use and air takedown. It's rare to ever see that. Not to mention the nice b14,ex df3 corner starter into the difficult d1,114 combos. Plenty of ballsy combos too using f2,f2,f2, many including myself play safe with just f2,f2. If there is anything I would suggest, I would only say to continue working on your excellent parry and air takedown and keep posting videos of it. Great Blood God video.
Thank you very much dude, much appreciated. I'll definitely work on my Blood God and upload more videos. :)

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Some high level Match Up play from this week

War God v Kobu Tanya

he bopped me hard 2-0 free in winners, made a lot of adjustments here in losers, I did not want him close enough to start his pressure, out ranged him a lot, and made some hard reads, late d2's cost me abit, and getting armor hit early makes him play very tentatively to play kotals game more, hard MU

War God v Imposter

Option Select when reacting to teleport here fellas, air throw or paddle comes out to anti air everytime. Stay out of flare range and you have no worries

There was a vid of me vs sids lao but tis corrupted

This was a combo I came up with right before TFC in one of my rare times in the lab, use it as a closer, incredibly tight but super swaggy using two d2's

Kotal_Wannabe

AKA AndyPandy
Some high level Match Up play from this week

War God v Kobu Tanya

he bopped me hard 2-0 free in winners, made a lot of adjustments here in losers, I did not want him close enough to start his pressure, out ranged him a lot, and made some hard reads, late d2's cost me abit, and getting armor hit early makes him play very tentatively to play kotals game more, hard MU

War God v Imposter

Option Select when reacting to teleport here fellas, air throw or paddle comes out to anti air everytime. Stay out of flare range and you have no worries

There was a vid of me vs sids lao but tis corrupted

This was a combo I came up with right before TFC in one of my rare times in the lab, use it as a closer, incredibly tight but super swaggy using two d2's

Holy shit, that corner combo on quan was sick. Always a pleasure watching your gameplay.

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Some Blood God Footage

I hate the shinnok MU without armor, but I just labbed something that may change the mu, or at least help, I will break it out this week and see if it helps or if I remember haha

there was a match in the archive vs Indecisive with jax that was a good one as well but never got uploaded, parry works on every wu he has, out range with d4 and f1, kill in the corner :]

parry also beats every WU reptile has but one of my training partners wasn't having it haha, it's pretty much death in the corner, so strong

TotallyNotKotalKahn

Low Tier Addict
@Mr Aquaman Good god that tany set was sick. I thought BG was good against zoners and pressure, you just have to have the skill and the balls to do it, and stick to the gameplan. That was so sick to watch, Im sharing it to /r/mortalkombat btw more people need to see this.