What's new

Kotal Kahn Pre-Release Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eldriken

What is the point to his b2? 17f startup, -21 on block, -16 ON HIT, and it's a high.

Dude has a lot of negative stuff. But until I see him in action, I can't say much.

Slavaslave

Professional Casual
Impressions with Kotal since I got the game:

I've mostly played with the command grab variation for the most part so all of my impressions are from using that.

Pros:
  1. He is a whiff punish GOD.
  2. Solid damage mid screen (especially with damage buff)
  3. Staggerable f12 and 12 (only into d1)
  4. Side switch whenever you want it.
  5. Projectile is decently fast, and can KB for 275 damage.
  6. f3 is an amazing button, apparently you can OS it.
Cons:
  1. No great mid, f2 goes far, but is uber slow even for MK11.
  2. Gets poked out easily because of his lack of fast mids.
  3. Cmd grab always switches and forces you to choose positioning vs buff/damage.
  4. Every special is punishable so no strings for chip.
  5. Many strings are also punishable.
I'm not really sure where he is going to fall in the game's meta yet so I wont make a tier assessment. He has is strengths and weaknesses. He would have been awful in MKX, but doesnt feel truly awful, this may change as people figure things out though

Does anyone know if his f1 krushing blow string activate only on counters or on punish as well? Also what kind of damage can you get of that?

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Is Kotal's command grab mid currently? (Pre Release)

Seems like a lot of random dudes are basically being unblockabled.

Here's the same option select with him trying to jump out on hit or block.

You can't jump out 100% it seems.

How hard is it to Flawless block the F3 after you got hit by one? I am asking because I remember from the beta, that when coming out of hitstun or recovery of like jumps I was getting Flawless block a lot by just holding the R2 the whole time. Seeing how there are only 2 frames there between the hitstun and the next f3, I thought it would automatically flawless block.
If that isn’t the case you can probably train yourself to FB the precise timing.

I am not saying it isn’t broken by the way. Just wondering about the mechanics)

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
There must be a few pre-jump frames or something. What it boils down to is that there is no escape.

For people who don't know what a command-grab-option-select is, here's a video (it's not too hard with just a bit of practice tbh):

Should have also added that tick throw can be done out of normals and some strings, but overall it’s very helpful

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
How hard is it to Flawless block the F3 after you got hit by one? I am asking because I remember from the beta, that when coming out of hitstun or recovery of like jumps I was getting Flawless block a lot by just holding the R2 the whole time. Seeing how there are only 2 frames there between the hitstun and the next f3, I thought it would automatically flawless block.
If that isn’t the case you can probably train yourself to FB the precise timing.

I am not saying it isn’t broken by the way. Just wondering about the mechanics)
I'm not sure, I'll check tonight once I get the game for sure. It's the first thing I'm checking. Either way, yeah, the fact that taking the hit and FlawlessBlocking the second hit is even something we are talking about is just wild lol.

_CHINOCUDEIRO_

Machakabotones
Questions about non-commandgrab variation
Does anybody uses the jaguar moves? Are good or meh moves? Does the horizontal jaguar go under proyectiles?
Does this variation has the totems? All of them or just one? is there any safe setup to use the totems?

Last edited:

Slavaslave

Professional Casual
Questions about non-commandgrab variation
Does anybody uses the jaguar moves? Are good or meh moves? Does the horizontal jaguar go under proyectiles?
Does this variation has the totems? All of them or just one? is there any safe setup to use the totems?
Horizontal Jaguar is good corner carry and damage. Only has blood totem.

Slavaslave

Professional Casual
Basically you try your utmost to clip them with d4 then try to f3 blender them to death. If you can't do that or kill them with whiff punishes then you're going to lose.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room

kotal discord

He looks legitimately garbage from the 20 mins I spent ingame. No fast mids, all the normals you'd wanna tick throw off of push him back or are bad, his long range normals are very punishable with nothing to cancel to. He looks like a grappler that can't force you to block.

NHDR

Noob
So are Kotal's sword specials use-able in both variations? Kinda bummed that he has no safe specials. Though that F3 into CMD grab OS looks really strong.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Here's my impressions from a couple hours of labbing and playing.

F34 is a really good string, it's your main "mid" against buttons on block.

F2 is a very good poke on its own. IDK if you can hit confirm the followups.

F12 is what you use after people try to catch you moving forward with F2.

All of the above can be cancelled into kahn cut on the 1st or 2nd hit, except the 4 part of f34.

Never jump, his hurtbox is insanely huge.

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
From Mr. Aquaman's stream - standing 3 will restand. +3, looks great for setting up the command throw.

He was in the corner when he found this, but hopefully will work mid screen. (Guess I'll find out in 40 odd minutes :p)

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
What is the point to his b2? 17f startup, -21 on block, -16 ON HIT, and it's a high.

Dude has a lot of negative stuff. But until I see him in action, I can't say much.
safe string to use on opp wakeup, the only string that's safe and last long enough to cover delayed wakeup.

From Mr. Aquaman's stream - standing 3 will restand. +3, looks great for setting up the command throw.

He was in the corner when he found this, but hopefully will work mid screen. (Guess I'll find out in 40 odd minutes :p)
They unfortunately took the restand from him and his f3 tic

Status
Not open for further replies.