What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Kotal Kahn Kotal Kahn Match-Up Discussion

mattnin

Noob
I don't think SubZero GM is such a bad MU for Blood God surprisingly. Parry works well in this MU and with clone/snowball combo there is plenty of time to totem and even sunshine. It then just comes down to a footsie game.

There are much worse MU's, Jacqui, for example

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I don't think SubZero GM is such a bad MU for Blood God surprisingly. Parry works well in this MU and with clone/snowball combo there is plenty of time to totem and even sunshine. It then just comes down to a footsie game.

How is jacqui bad? She's pretty mediocre.

Parry on what? He can do unsafe clone cancels for free. You also can't duck an iceball and do sunlight at all.

I could see blood god doing well against GM with obsidian only. 15% bnb combos.

mattnin

Noob
I seem to have some trouble and get zoned badly with a good full auto Jacqui *shrug*

Parry works good on telegraphed wake up slide, and also on attacks that follow the ice clone like overhead or slide. Maybe you should try it.

Sunshine is unsafe but can still be popped if the timing is just right.

You're right, obsidian is the totem to use or crystal during a combo

KitanawantstheD

CERTIFIED WANKER
I seem to have some trouble and get zoned badly with a good full auto Jacqui *shrug*

Parry works good on telegraphed wake up slide, and also on attacks that follow the ice clone like overhead or slide. Maybe you should try it.

Fought a full auto spamming scrub Jacqui for the first time yesterday. Literally all I did was duck, walk, duck, walk, etc. Once I got close enough, I sprinted then forward 3, 4 ex sword throw. After that she was in the corner by then because she made the mistake of backing up. Bad idea. She quit after round two. Also you can also use god ray on yourself and just duck. She can shoot
all day but you'll just heal as long as you crouch without blocking. Only reason I didnt do it is bc I use it so rarely

KitanawantstheD

CERTIFIED WANKER
But I fought her in war god variation lol. Sorry I didnt see that. I read your post and saw "full auto Jacqui" and I just saw red

Qwark28

Joker waiting room

Good players don't predictable wakeup or let you sniff out overhead/slide.

Slide is not used after a clone on block and the overhead is unreactable at 16 frames.

What's happening is that you're reading your subzero player and he's being awfully predictable. These are not reliable solutions.

Id rather duck and walk vs jacqui then be stuck in corner vs sub. If you have ps4 Id like to play Sub vs you I'll show you how SZ can avoid the parry

mattnin

Noob
Good GM Sub players know better than to get too close to Kotal during a clone too. It leaves them with a clone throw, clone slam, or ice ball and that's it. That's why I think BG Kotal vs GM Sub can be reduced down to a footsie game and that's where Kotal shines.

Last edited:
Im struggling againts Tanyas Dragon Naga variation. I don't have the character to practice against but its mostly the teleport which she mixes with her pogo stuff.

She's just hard to catch. Is their any Kotal Kahn basics I can apply to stopping her from doing it because its a pain in the arse. Not a big complaint its just she is......annoying.

ando1184

Noob
Im struggling againts Tanyas Dragon Naga variation. I don't have the character to practice against but its mostly the teleport which she mixes with her pogo stuff.

She's just hard to catch. Is their any Kotal Kahn basics I can apply to stopping her from doing it because its a pain in the arse. Not a big complaint its just she is......annoying.
AA Grab is your best friend in this matchup. After she does her pressure string into teleport you can AA her with DF1 "if" she presses a button (Jump punch or pogo). Be careful because she can decide to not press anything and if you do DF1 she can land and punish before you recover. In the corner don't try this, instead do a D2, because sometimes the teleporting will cause a weird crossup situation and mess up your inputs. I'm still trying to break this matchup down but Tanya is really just crazy and since I don't own her, I have to wait and fight her once a week at a friends place offline. Granted, he's the best Tanya I've seen thus far :)

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
http://www.twitch.tv/zaelock/b/670820882

Some games against @LionHeart 's brawler Cassie. Don't take them too seriously, he hasn't been playing Cassie at all lately but you can kinda see how the midscreen footsies go.

I've found that you can blow up run B1 if you see it coming from 3/4 screen away but not any closer. Afterwards, you're put in a situation where if she walks back and does it again, your pokes and backdashes are tagged so it's pretty shitty.

Also, I made a big mistake ex sun choking the last part of the b1 string, I should've ex parried into full combo.

And the F1B2s, for some reason I did them a lot in this session in the beginning, don't use that string for anything other than whiff punishing.

In the second set about half an hour later you can see I'm more comfortable.

Last edited:

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
@Qwark28 Give me a realistic idea of how to effectively use Kotal's parry, and I'll return the ass wiping favor. You never know, might break your arm sometime.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
Pretty much blow through 1 hit moves and punish with a full combo instead of a 19% sun choke.
Haven't put enough time into him to really get the hang of it. I'll keep working on it, but dat sun choke still works for me right now lol.

mkl

Poopbutt.
Something fucked up after patch

KK can no longer interrupt Takeda f1,2+4 and f12,2+4 with armor. Other characters can. I know he could before patch b/c I played Takeda a lot back then.
So this MU became even more stupid
Are you ducking the string before the overhead and then doing the appropriate armor move? Kotal can beat that string pretty well since The Blade of Oshkosh hits twice. The only time it gets fucked up is if he lets teleport rock (input mixup), teleport canceling (since it's only -9), and EX bf4 since it will miss.

Last edited:

Belial

Noob
Are you ducking the string before the overhead and then doing the appropriate armor move? Kotal can beat that string pretty well since The Blade of Oshkosh hits twice. The only time it gets fucked up is if he lets teleport rock (input mixup), teleport canceling (since it's only -9), and EX bf4 since it will miss.
No it doesnt anymore, why dont you actually check stuff before posting.

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Also with a bar of meter you can punish takeda for f1 2+4 into anything. OS any special with mb df1. Teleport will get armor sword sweep. Kunai will get armor saw blade. Nothing will get punished being -22 and all.

Belial

Noob
Also with a bar of meter you can punish takeda for f1 2+4 into anything. OS any special with mb df1. Teleport will get armor sword sweep. Kunai will get armor saw blade. Nothing will get punished being -22 and all.
And then you cant even get notations right...

Lanqu

Noob
Could you tell what inputs must be done to "OS any special with mb df1". Takeda does his delaed TP when he think im gonna ex db1 and I completely misses

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Could you tell what inputs must be done to "OS any special with mb df1". Takeda does his delaed TP when he think im gonna ex db1 and I completely misses
Its df2. I can attempt a vid tonight for ya