What's new

Strategy - Kotal Kahn Kotal Kahn Blood god/Sun God damage comparison

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
I'm more in favor of Blood God more than Sun God simply because as @UltraDavid

Question, does anyone else feel that Kotal is a character that has a strong mindgame meta? With moves like Blood Offering, Sun Ray, and even the Blood God variation in its entirety, these things can make players think very differently.
I definitely think Kotal's large assortment of buffs and heals induces some fun mindgames, but the problem is that I don't think that is much of an advantage against someone who actually knows how to play. Mind games are fun, but when you are blood god and your opponent is rushing you down without mercy, there isn't much time to intimidate your opponent.

I definitely think Kotal's large assortment of buffs and heals induces some fun mindgames, but the problem is that I don't think that is much of an advantage against someone who actually knows how to play. Mind games are fun, but when you are blood god and your opponent is rushing you down without mercy, there isn't much time to intimidate your opponent.
My perspective is if players aren't actively utilizing a character's moves, then it shows that something is wrong with them. Wrong can mean many things though, that they don't function at all, that they function but not working as intended or they function but they are underwhelming.

Here is a list of moves that don't get used often:

Blood sacrifice
Sun Ray
Blood Totem
Parry
Soul Scourge

Everyone should ask why? Looking at blood god, the variation uses 4 out of 5 of those moves I listed. The same with sun god.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
What would you parry that you can't outright punish on block?
Yeah, this is the quintessential problem with most parries in most fighting games. A risk/reward analysis generally tends to mitigate against their use. Why risk whiffing a parry (and getting full-combo punished for your troubles) when you can just block and get the same punish (or better) without taking any of the risk?

Blood offering is a complete bill IMO. 3 hits is nothing because your opponent knows you forfeit your normals to came them with a tricky low or something similar, if you do a L3 command grab ender and then run up with a string into ex sunstone, it ends up being the exact same, if not slightly more, overall damage than doing anything into blood offering. The 3% makes up for the extra chip you would otherwise have. Sun ray out of anything other than throw or D2 is unsafe so it's rarely used..
Yeah, I basically agree with this. The only time I find Blood Offering worth it is when I have a large life lead and my opponent has very little life left (This can make a comeback extremely difficult). The essential problem is that, as a blood god player, I almost always prefer to set up any of the totems or sun ray over blood offering.

alexbib

Noob
A few of those can do a bit more damage if you modify them. Here are the max dmg combos I've got:
114EXdf1,f2,1,b14df1 = 41% vs 114EXdf1,f2,2,b14db2 = 45%
f2,nj2,f2,f2,b14df1 = 35% vs f2,f2,f2,b14db2 = 37%
f2,f2,f2,b14EXdf1,f2,d2 = 45% vs f2,f2,,f2,b14EXdf1,b14db2 = 46%
f1b2db1,d4EXdf1,f2,b14df1 = 43% vs f1b2,f2,f2,b14EXdf1,b14db2 = 41%

So usually just a few % below Sun God (and actually 2% more from f1b2) without the totem