What's new

Kombat Tomb Podcast - Ep. 31 with Emperor Theo

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
General M2Dave I've come to the realization that i don't see DS as top 10 although i agree that he is in the conversation. Within the past week i've grinded out online Injustice, and if you guys know me you know that i'm mainly an offline player and i haven't been playing very long. But i will say that the online has given me a ridiculous amount of experience in the short amount of time i have been playing and i am now starting to see matchups in matrix modes with 0's and 1's. DS has the tools for every situation, they may not be as good as certain characters but he does have access to a larger array of mediocre tools than every one else.

DeathStrokes core gameplay is no longer the great zoning it was before, but it is still viable coupled with the rest of his tools, now he requires reactionary play and tons of good reads.

If you do not have good reactions with the character then you will not succeed with him, it all makes sense to me now. Other characters have better risk rewards then him in certain situations, he has safe options for many small situations which have to add up over time. Now that i have this understanding i believe i will do well with this character and i plan on taking him to tournaments.

I will agree that he is upper mid tier at best due to the fact that he has few strings and very little faults. He is an honest character in a game filled with dirt, at the end of the day he is just a super well rounded character as Sektor was in MK9.
man sektor wishes he was as good as deathstroke

Lulzlou

Noob
Honestly the only problems with staff stance mid-screen is his damage and push blocking. I was a staff heavy NW back when I played so I can give my two cents after I listen to this on the way home from work.

I never had a problem staying in on my training partners in staff, even when mbstaff spin whiffed on lower hitboxes. Its like you are patiently rushing down if that makes any sense. Other than push blocking, staying in mid screen works in a lot of match ups.

I'm picking up the game again. Hopefully I can explain better in the near future.

edit; His damage is still decent but its nothing compared to is corner damage. He can get extremely close to 50% with just one bar in the corner.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
LMAO Armenia is SO European and Russian that Their second languages are Farsi and Arabic and they migrate to Lebanon and Iran. Lmao Armenians are like the Turks, always trying seem like they're not part of the middle east because of a recent technicality.

Wait what

From what I know it's mostly Armenian+Russian. I dont get what the point of this is though

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
Nightwing has to perform standing 1 to jail his opponent or they can jump out.

I can jump in at you if I read the raw ground pound.

In this situation Nightwing is making the read. Will he jump out? Stand 1 MB ground pound. Or will he backdash? Flying Grayson. Jump forward 1 or raw MB ground pound.

The jump forward 1 and flying Grayson are d2'd by anyone with a functional d2.

Are we still talking about 50/50s or have I convinced you that it is an escapable situation with alternatives to simply blocking the shit?

*sigh*

I can't find a simpler way to explain this as it feels like I've said it like 10x.

mb ground pound covers all options and it hits low. I know you think they can jump out, but I'm telling you if you do it as early as possible it will catch them. This is an irrefutable fact and I'll post a video if you think otherwise. The first will hit them on the way up and then then mb part misses. This means your standing 2 would've caught them jumping for sure.

Since mb ground pound covers all options, this forces them to block low. Which is where standing 2 comes in.

There's a handful of characters that this won't work on. I get it. Characters with quick hitting f+3's and b+3's that make them in an airborne state. And I know Deathstroke is able to jump out because when he jumps his hitbox gets really small. But other than that, its a pure 50/50 in my eyes.

And I will not be convinced otherwise so I don't know why we are bothering.

Reactions: LaR

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
Since everybody is sitting in here theory fighting, I'm gonna make a video that shows somebody actually reacting to these kinds of situations so we can clear this up.

Hopefully it helps.

4x4lo8o

Noob
If your blocking it over 50% of the time and not 100% of the time how does that prove you are seeing it everytime? Maybe you were having a good time guessing.

I presented something to think about for nw players. To me, even if it is possible to tell the difference, it seems like a test worth making your opponents pass. I would not assume my opponent's sit down and study watching his standing 2 versus his mb ground spark. If my opponent is able to see the difference, then props to them. But to disregard a potential 50/50 where both options launch and are unpunishable on block is crazy to me without making my opponent prove he can 'see' it.

Did you try it?

I'm not trying to be an idiot and talk about how to play a character that I don't use(I have no idea whether it's a worthwhile mix up regardless of whether you can see it or not), I was just commenting on whether it was reactable or not. I did the exact test you pr0posed and blocked it probably 85%(unfortunately I didn't count) with no practice at all. You seemed incredulous about the idea that it was possible to see at all so I was reporting my results.

Maybe I was just guessing right a lot. I'm gonna practice and try again later and count so I can make sure I blocked it a statistically significant percent of the time. I want more people to try it and post their results though, because after trying it I honestly will be surprised if anyone tries it and says 'that was harder than I thought, I had to guess every time'

Slips

Did you try it?

I'm not trying to be an idiot and talk about how to play a character that I don't use(I have no idea whether it's a worthwhile mix up regardless of whether you can see it or not), I was just commenting on whether it was reactable or not. I did the exact test you pr0posed and blocked it probably 85%(unfortunately I didn't count) with no practice at all. You seemed incredulous about the idea that it was possible to see at all so I was reporting my results.

Maybe I was just guessing right a lot. I'm gonna practice and try again later and count so I can make sure I blocked it a statistically significant percent of the time. I want more people to try it and post their results though, because after trying it I honestly will be surprised if anyone tries it and says 'that was harder than I thought, I had to guess every time'
Of course I tried it I'm the one who proposed to do it. I found it difficult. Guess you just have better reactions than me.

4x4lo8o

Noob
Of course I tried it I'm the one who proposed to do it. I found it difficult. Guess you just have better reactions than me.
Damn, maybe I did just guess right a bunch. There's a ton of stuff people claim to be able to react to that I think is impossible, I always thought I had bad reactions. I'm gonna feel like an idiot when I go back and try it again and it's completely impossible to block on reaction

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Alright lets expel the myths here

1) You CANNOT jump or backdash a mb staff pound after ex spin. Impossible when done right. 5% for jumping and full combo for back dashing.

2) You CAN backdash the 2. That's the only option of the 2 that backdashing will avoid.

3) Db2 and 2 are reactable. Here is how you do it: Stay Crouching to cover the pounds, stand block the 2 half way through it's animation (it takes longer than 22 frames to get to you. It's 22 frames before it's active. It's more like 30f before it actually gets to you from the mb staff spin distance.

You can block it everytime.

You cannot backdash 1 into anything. You have to respect the 1.

Slips

And I've just spent 2 bars for them to tech roll away and 5%. Sick.

Whatever. Blow me up for it. This shit sounds bulletproof.
The point is that if they are just holding up they aren't looking to block the 50/50. They are guessing.

If they are fuzzy guarding standing 2 and mb ground pound, then delay the ground pound slightly so the timing is equal to standing 2.

As long as you have mb ground pound as a conditioning tool, you can see and manipulate them to your will.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
The point is that if they are just holding up they aren't looking to block the 50/50. They are guessing.

If they are fuzzy guarding standing 2 and mb ground pound, then delay the ground pound slightly so the timing is equal to standing 2.

As long as you have mb ground pound as a conditioning tool, you can see and manipulate them to your will.
While you're at it
you should probably draw a flowchart while labeling the buttons on the controller

lol dat walkthrough of conditioning.

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
So here we go, me blocking the mixup:

GGA Slips

I didn't mention in the video either, that if NW ever tries something like stand 1 into mb ground blast, they can block the first hit and backdash the second, meaning I don't get any of the plus frames from mb blast.

So yeah, you can react to the mixup, everybody calm down.

The real blow up happens when I go around beating people who are better than me because they don't understand the MU.

I'm not going to be attending NEC, but I can't wait to hear the excuses from people losing to Sajam.

You blew me up online, then I went to practice mode and looked at the frame data and recorded the strings and cancels you did.

Also before playing against you I thought staff spin was punishable by a 6 frame starter, lol.

Also I consider losing the last match on purpose, and then saying "I have to go", a joy quit and a half, next time were calling a FT# lol

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
The real blow up happens when I go around beating people who are better than me because they don't understand the MU.

I'm not going to be attending NEC, but I can't wait to hear the excuses from people losing to Sajam.
Yeah, I can't wait for NEC.

It should be really fun, and I finally get to show people some NW.

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
So Kiwi6 randomly decides to remove this mp3, cool...

They are becoming a real pain in the ass, I might need a new host. 2Shared link still works though FYI.