What's new

Kombat Tomb Podcast - Ep. 19 with Curbolicious

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
Great podcast as always. Tbh i just didnt like the fact that dink flat out says that CD JR only won because of confidence as if it was up to the powers that be.

"you dont even have to play all that well you just have confidence and your gonna win"

If that were the case tournament results would be a hell of a lot different. If anything Jr had many doubts that he would be able to win consistently, i know because i was always the one pumping him up.

None the less i want to see these two go at it at evo. Im confident jr can take this, just about as confident as dink is about beating him =)

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
Counter-picking is a double-edged sword.

It happens because the characters in MK9 are incredibly diverse -- which you want in a fighting game. To eliminate counter-picking, you would have to essentially make every character play similarly, which would dull the metagame and make only a handful of characters viable (see: UMK3).

Counter-picking is frustrating, but it simply comes with the territory of having a diverse roster.

Edit: This coming from a Scorpion loyalist. I think counter-picking will happen less as the game grows and we truly flesh out every aspect of it. We can't forget that as it stands, MK9 does have a little too many "random" contingencies.

Dann

Noob
Wow that call out at the end. I can't believe CD Jr. would disrespect a fellow community member like that.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
I am confused about what Smoke players would be crying about losing the reset. I think the only thing we would be pissed about is losing the reset because they simply take away the special cancelling on F4. That is a half-assed way to remove it.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
Idunno, I'd like to see Slips take Airmac to Ehvo...
Good point, someone needs to represent Ermac at a tournament. Big D would be awesome. The best one I've played online is UnyK3z but I believe he's in Mexico, I've never played an Ermac who had the most unique set ups the entire screen.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
I am confused about what Smoke players would be crying about losing the reset. I think the only thing we would be pissed about is losing the reset because they simply take away the special cancelling on F4. That is a half-assed way to remove it.
Smoke is still good. How much of an impact would it be if F4 is removed? Is it similar when NRS nerfed the hell out of Jade's Up3 and Johnny Cage's F3,2~Nut Punch?

RiBBz22

Smoke is still good. How much of an impact would it be if F4 is removed? Is it similar when NRS nerfed the hell out of Jade's Up3 and Johnny Cage's F3,2~Nut Punch?
I agree he would still be really good, but that isn't really the point. My argument is removing a reset by means of making a normal not able to be cancelled is dumb. F4 cancelling leads to a ton of Smokes regular setups which I do not believe are at all OP. With the Cage nerf, maybe NRS thought that the nut punch setup itself was OP and didn't let you cancel off the F3,2 string. I can't honestly talk to the U3 Jade nerfs though.

I just think it would be an extreme shortcut get rid of a bunch of a characters options when there is really only 1 OP thing that is being targeted which likely could be eliminated on it's own.

I definitely would like it if the reset were gone and done the right way.

I agree he would still be really good, but that isn't really the point. My argument is removing a reset by means of making a normal not able to be cancelled is dumb. F4 cancelling leads to a ton of Smokes regular setups which I do not believe are at all OP. With the Cage nerf, maybe NRS thought that the nut punch setup itself was OP and didn't let you cancel off the F3,2 string. I can't honestly talk to the U3 Jade nerfs though.

I just think it would be an extreme shortcut get rid of a bunch of a characters options when there is really only 1 OP thing that is being targeted which likely could be eliminated on it's own.

Regardless, if NRS tries to fix the reset that's probably how they'll do it. Messing around with, like, the opponent is in an OTG status but the EX bomb is relaunching when it's not supposed to be... as a programmer I bet it's real hard to diagnose why that's happening. Whereas making F4 not special cancellable, I mean, that's just a flag somewhere, probably. You just change a 1 to a 0, it wouldn't even take five minutes.

NkdSingularity

Truth and Ugly

Cage can still cancel f3,2 into a special it just no longer combos unless they're in the air, like every other string in the game.

RiBBz22

Regardless, if NRS tries to fix the reset that's probably how they'll do it. Messing around with, like, the opponent is in an OTG status but the EX bomb is relaunching when it's not supposed to be... as a programmer I bet it's real hard to diagnose why that's happening. Whereas making F4 not special cancellable, I mean, that's just a flag somewhere, probably. You just change a 1 to a 0, it wouldn't even take five minutes.
I agree that is probably how they will do it and it will actually end up being a pretty substantial nerf.

Z-911-Z

Bone and Metal
To Smoke players, would you rather not be able to link Specials to F4 or the OTG property being completely removed from ex smoke bomb?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Yeah, it's not a patch coming out, but a hotfix. A bug like the reset is something that needs actual patching to resolve.

Noserfatu

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
That was awesome. Even though I don't think CURBOLICOUS would win every match he says he would win, I think its awesome that he has the confidence to say that right before MLG. If he makes top 8 we all have to give him props.

Shujinkydink call outs were great. Dude even sounds like a fighter. I especially enjoyed that Altaire isn't even liked in his own country. GL Dink and Curbo.