What's new

Match Footage - Mileena Kombat Kast Notes: Mileena Gameplay Analysis

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
I'd like to start off with the following:

I'm aware that everything that was shown off during the Kombat Kast has possibly been changed or will be changed come April. This is simply for FUN.

With that out of the way, I've decided to go over all the Mileena footage shown off yesterday and point out some things of note that others may have missed or are curious about. I won't really be going over standard normals and what not seeing as how extracting information about those types of things isn't really possible in a stream like this. Instead, I'll be focusing more on the special moves and their attributes. I'll be separating these points across four sections: General, Ethereal, Ravenous, and Piercing. I'll be using this video as reference so all timestamps will apply only to this video:

GENERAL

- Standing Sais appear to hit high: (10:43).
- Air Sais have been confirmed to be spread across all variations: (17:07).
- Her X-Ray is a teleport: (18:21).
- Seems as though her D4 is no longer based as fuck: (1:03:10).
- The timing of an Air Sai after a Teleport has been altered. There were no instances of the Air Sai connecting after either of the Teleports so it's a bit ambiguous as to whether it was user error or if it is in fact impossible to follow up.
- It's been confirmed that her Roll is not a low this time around.
- Her EX-Air Sais are seen here: (1:06:24).
- Her Teleport is parryable: (1:11:15).
- Her Roll seems to OTG: (1:13:58).
- ??? (I have no clue what's going on here): (1:11:41).

ETHEREAL

- There seems to be a fair amount of recovery on her Sai Teleports: (11:34).
- Her visual indicator in this Variation are red markings on her arms: (9:58).
- There is no footage shown of her Sai Teleporting in place.

RAVENOUS

- Move list and Fatalities listed: (16:09).
- A simple comment. If she's able to cancel these grabs from some her strings...just look at some of those moves.

PIERCING

- Her Low Sai doesn't lower her profile all that much. She get's hit from Kitana's Fan: (1:02:46).
- The same applies to her EX-Low Sai: (1:04:06).
- Low Sai does go under high projectiles: (1:08:39).
- Her visual indicator in this Variation are Sais on her back: (1:08:51).

That's all I've got. If you've found something I've missed or would like to point out some discrepancies, feel free and I'll add them to the OP.

Mileena is bae.

Last edited:

Gamer68

Fujin!
Great breakdown! Also, I saw this:

Fatality 1: Face Feast (close)
Fatality 2: Tasty Treat (close)

EDIT: Accidentally posted Kano's fatalities, edited it and posted Mileena's.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I think I remember Kano beating Mileenas roll with a high parry.
I would go back and check but I'm in the middle of something.

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
I think I remember Kano beating Mileenas roll with a high parry.
I think you're talking about the part at 1:11:41. That's the part I'm confused on. Seems as though he parried the second overhead hit of EX-Roll. Things happen a bit too fast there.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
As far as Mileena's low sai getting hit by Kitana's fan, I really feel like Bit was just catching her at the tail end of the animation.

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
As far as Mileena's low sai getting hit by Kitana's fan, I really feel like Bit was just catching her at the tail end of the animation.
There were multiple cases of it occurring though. Mileena's cute, big head hurts her hitbox.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
What about the gaps in some of her strings that Kano parried. I know lots of that will change, but I will be happy if the strings are more gappy this time around for all characters.

I hate getting locked down and chipped out blocking just because I'm defending properly (Johnny Cage MK9)

To have the option to hit a parry or armor out if you know the character you are facing adds alot for me. I like that.

Some comments in regards to the tele kick:

1) We don't know if it can be done in the air which is important
2) The move seems pretty fast to react to a projectile in the game, however
3) In some matchups/health scenarios, might be not worth it to teleport for like only 7% damage and be at close distance with no frame advantage (cos right now it seems like you have no advantage on hit
4) If the frame advantage stays the same and it also can't be done in air, these makes this move not so good compared to the MK9 version of the move

Thoughts?

kivatt

Kono Dio Da
What about the gaps in some of her strings that Kano parried. I know lots of that will change, but I will be happy if the strings are more gappy this time around for all characters.

I hate getting locked down and chipped out blocking just because I'm defending properly (Johnny Cage MK9)

To have the option to hit a parry or armor out if you know the character you are facing adds alot for me. I like that.
I noticed that as well.

I like this thread

projectzero00

nomnomnom
Then 75% of posts about Mileena would be:

- Mileena is braindead
- Mileena is broken
- Normalize Mileena
- I hate that bitch
It wouldn't be broken imo. Her roll should always be a low anyway. In MK9 all your opponent had to do was block high with her and punish. That was a big issue that hurt her a lot since her moves were very punishable. Now if her telekick was an overhead and roll was a low it wouldn't make her "broken", it would just improve her vastly! Since your opponent would mostly have to block low anyway, to avoid rolls that lead to combos. The telekick which doesn't lead to a combo, would just add some pressure since it'd be small damage, kind of like Kabal with his overhead hooks. It didn't lead to a max dmg combo, it was just used to stop your opponent from infinite low blocking. Just my opinion though..

Plop

Noob
I definitely think at least one should hit low/overhead (roll or teleport). If Frost and Martian can get away with it why can't Mileena?

It wouldn't be broken imo. Her roll should always be a low anyway. In MK9 all your opponent had to do was block high with her and punish. That was a big issue that hurt her a lot since her moves were very punishable. Now if her telekick was an overhead and roll was a low it wouldn't make her "broken", it would just improve her vastly! Since your opponent would mostly have to block low anyway, to avoid rolls that lead to combos. The telekick which doesn't lead to a combo, would just add some pressure since it'd be small damage, kind of like Kabal with his overhead hooks. It didn't lead to a max dmg combo, it was just used to stop your opponent from infinite low blocking. Just my opinion though..
Just improve her vastly? She would have 50/50 with safe overhead (b2,4/b2,roll), a frame trap overhead (U4), and an overhead (teleport) that gives her free pressure/another 50/50. And lets not forget about the ex roll which would had been a pain in the ass to block.

Furthermore, she would get a frametrap any time she wanted from tele/air sais since the opponent is forced to stand now. So, tele is super safe now. Not broken, eh?:)

Mileena is a balanced character in MK9. Her problems was the top-tier characters, not faults in her own design.

Roll/Tele can work as a low/overhead of course, but not in MK9. But she would have to lack other moves/tools which would make her boring in my opinion.