What's new

Strategy Knowing Your Arsenal - A Deathstroke Move Analysis and Discussion

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
I mention this and no one seems to listen to me >.<

Btw, I think we should stop calling low guns after sword flip combo ender "garunteed" chip. I found a BUNCH of wakeups that beat it.
Well, you're right. But practically, it IS guaranteed. Even if there are wake-ups that would beat it. Would someone really do a wake-up full screen leaving themselves open to even BIGGER damage to avoid 2% chip? (Unless you're doing Superman's Wake Up Super)

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
Well, you're right. But practically, it IS guaranteed. Even if there are wake-ups that would beat it. Would someone really do a wake-up full screen leaving themselves open to even BIGGER damage to avoid 2% chip? (Unless you're doing Superman's Wake Up Super)
What leaves them so open? The guns are mad negative when they miss. Even if you Sword Flip > Back Dash > Low Guns, Killer Frost will wakeup slide your ankles and open you up for a combo. Lex will hard knockdown you with Corp Charge, get a free level 1 trait, and have time to set up either a mine or a turret. Ares will teleport > D1 > Trait combo you. I'm not saying it's a completely awful idea, but it's not fullproof and you MUST know your opponents options full screen.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
What leaves them so open? The guns are mad negative when they miss. Even if you Sword Flip > Back Dash > Low Guns, Killer Frost will wakeup slide your ankles and open you up for a combo. Lex will hard knockdown you with Corp Charge, get a free level 1 trait, and have time to set up either a mine or a turret. Ares will teleport > D1 > Trait combo you. I'm not saying it's a completely awful idea, but it's not fullproof and you MUST know your opponents options full screen.
I'll test KF because I don't think her Slide reaches that far.

But as for Lex and Ares, no they can not do that.

Lex's Corps Charge will not reach DS and will get stuffed by the 2nd bullet. If not, DS will recover before he does. <-that's what I mean by getting opened up

Ares' TP doesn't get much invincibility frames if he gets any at all. I've seen almost every move stuff it and it has horrible start-up frames anyways so it's not hard to do so. He'd get hit by the LowGS and will take the 4%

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
I'll test KF because I don't think her Slide reaches that far.

But as for Lex and Ares, no they can not do that.

Lex's Corps Charge will not reach DS and will get stuffed by the 2nd bullet. If not, DS will recover before he does. <-that's what I mean by getting opened up

Ares' TP doesn't get much invincibility frames if he gets any at all. I've seen almost every move stuff it and it has horrible start-up frames anyways so it's not hard to do so. He'd get hit by the LowGS and will take the 4%
Ok, well admittedly I haven't been backdashing when I tried the latter options (because at the time I last played, I wasnt aware you hd time to backdash then fire) but I DO know KF's slide reaches full or near full screen. Test and confirm for me if you could though, I'm sorta busy atm :)

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Ok, well admittedly I haven't been backdashing when I tried the latter options (because at the time I last played, I wasnt aware you hd time to backdash then fire) but I DO know KF's slide reaches full or near full screen. Test and confirm for me if you could though, I'm sorta busy atm :)
I know for a fact that KF Slide reachers 3/4 screen. And a backdash after Sword Flip leaves you 2 steps away from Full Screen. Which is why I need to test it. If she reaches you, then at that point you could double backdash and continue the zoning momentum without your 2%

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
First post updated. Move discussion is Sword Flip!

Some things I'd like to get clear with this discussion. Does SF have ANY wakeup invincibility? And what do you guys think of the chip damage section?

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
None.

Good effort overall. But wait until Tuesday before you go all out because I sense unnecessary nerfs.
Bleh. Tru fax. I at least dont think they would mess with 323 or Sword Flip >_>
And thanks for the confirmation.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I wouldn't be surprised if they did end up buffing some aspect of him to compensate for the nerf and to quell the screams of protest.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
I wouldn't be surprised if they did end up buffing some aspect of him to compensate for the nerf and to quell the screams of protest.
It wouldnt be beyond them. I clearly remember them nerfing Kung Lao in MK9 to stop whiners, but buffed qualities of the character in other areas, which actually made him more powerful overall (at least at one point). The nerfs to the spin calmed the babies, but they buffed one of his attack strings, so good KL players were happy.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Safe Sword Spin, safer strings and higher damage. (13 frame data is so incredibly stupid)

This is what I demand.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
Safe Sword Spin, safer strings and higher damage. (13 frame data is so incredibly stupid)

This is what I demand.
Safer strings isn't that important to me. All his good strings are safe enough.
F23 is positive
3 is positive
F3 is positive
J3 is positive
132 is safe (by the standards entailed in the first post, as in not punishable by anything but Superman's super)
32 is also safe
B1U2 is safe

And those are most of his combo starters. Very low risk, high reward there.

Higher damage is welcome, but not absolutely necessary.

Sword Spin could really use that buff though. It's not a terrible move, but it's certainly got some stupid holes in it.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
Lol. I mean Sword Flip is punishable and I feel that its fine being punishable. It wasn't meant to be thrown around left and right. With its fast startup, HUGE hitbox, hard knockdown, and massive chip damage, it might end up broken if it werent full combo punishable.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
I have yet to see any confirmed changes to Deathstroke, and there seems to be very little discussion going on here. If that means anything, I plan on changing the move today sometime. F3 is next up.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
What's not to love about f3, besides the occasional accidental cross-up on wakeup and in the corner (both of which can be avoided with practice). It's got deceptive range, can catch jumpers, leads to 30%~ combos, is +10 on block (while keeping you within Throw range...), hits overhead, and can be armored. Once you get a feel for the flow of DS's MUs, its slow startup isn't really even much of an issue anymore.

Anyone knows what determines how far you end up from the opponent after a blocked Sword Flip?

Sometimes online Deathstroke ends up more than sweep distance away.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
Anyone knows what determines how far you end up from the opponent after a blocked Sword Flip?

I have noticed this oddity. I think it might have something to do with how the opponent is blocking (high or low) and how many of the 3 hits they take. I would have to do some testing.

First post is updated with the gdlk F3. I think we need to stir up some more discussion around these parts. Almost all the posts on our board are just about not nerfing Deathstroke unnecessarily and telling scrubs to get better at the game. We need to develop our character people!

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter

I know if your opponent is in the corner there is some weird pushback on a blocked SF, which actually makes it appear to be unpunishable. I'll do some experiments today against Lantern's Might reversals. It's definitely out of the range of any normal move that I can think of.

On another note, the deeper I try to go with Deathstroke the more blocky and choppy the game feels. I've been experimenting with j3-b1u2 for a difficult-to-block setup, but it actually feels like the game is fighting me. After hours in practice mode, it still feels like the b1 just doesn't want to come out, and when it does it will only connect about 90% of the time. If I can do Doctor Strange's FoF loop 90% of the time in online matches, there is no reason I shouldn't be able to link 2 basic moves 100% of the time in offline practice in this game. I think Aris put it best when he said the game feels "muddy". The same goes for connecting j2's in a bunch of combos. Sometimes they just whiff for no good reason. The inputs in this game just feel very unreliable.

The same goes for f23; it seems to whiff or get beat out more often than not. I'm finding what should be an amazing string to be not very useful in practice. It's supposed to hit mid, but I see a lot of people beat it with low-hitting attacks as it appears to whiff above their heads. I've tried using it as a punishment tool, but again it just feels like it doesn't want to come out, and attempting to spam inputs in this game appears to delay their execution, as anyone attempting to spam f3 after b1u2 can tell you. It's also way too easy to accidentally unleash Machine Gun against an adjacent opponent if you go from blocking low to a f23 punish.

Finally, his damn j3 crossup is incredibly unreliable. Sometimes it manages to catch my opponent from an impossible angle and bounce them up for what feels like an eternity. Other times it either whiffs for no good reason or it hits and barely bounces them off the ground, causing any followups to whiff and getting me punished in the process. I've stopped going for 323 followups entirely, even though they lead to 34% damage, just because it's so unreliable. Even under controlled conditions in practice mode, I can never be sure the crossup will work correctly or that the 323 followup will even come out.

Ok, one last thing then I'm done bitching. His corner issues are also driving me crazy. And I don't mean getting cornered; I mean when he actually has the corner advantage! I see it more as a disadvantage, because if he tries to pressure, odds are his combo will cross up his opponent, dealing less damage than it should and putting him in the corner instead, possibly at disadvantage. Does any other character have this problem? I've never seen one of my opponents accidentally cross over or under me during on of their combos, or not autocorrect after a confirmed j3 or f3.

Ok, I'm done now. Long story short: unreliable inputs, frames, spacing, and bounces severely hinder DS's up-close game, and actually encourage DS players to do nothing but shoot from full-screen. /rant

[Edit] Sorry, now one last thing: Is anyone else having issues with accidental Low Shots? If I'm blocking back and attempt a d1 punish, even if I'm careful to go to neutral first (which is easy because I play on Hitbox), I get a damn Low Shot almost every time. And before you ask, yes, release check is off. I also can't use Alternate Controls because they're way too strict in this game to work on Hitbox.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
I know if your opponent is in the corner there is some weird pushback on a blocked SF, which actually makes it appear to be unpunishable. I'll do some experiments today against Lantern's Might reversals. It's definitely out of the range of any normal move that I can think of.
Try Lex's Corps Charge instead. I'm almost certain it'll land though.

On another note, the deeper I try to go with Deathstroke the more blocky and choppy the game feels. I've been experimenting with j3-b1u2 for a difficult-to-block setup, but it actually feels like the game is fighting me. After hours in practice mode, it still feels like the b1 just doesn't want to come out, and when it does it will only connect about 90% of the time. If I can do Doctor Strange's FoF loop 90% of the time in online matches, there is no reason I shouldn't be able to link 2 basic moves 100% of the time in offline practice in this game. I think Aris put it best when he said the game feels "muddy". The same goes for connecting j2's in a bunch of combos. Sometimes they just whiff for no good reason. The inputs in this game just feel very unreliable.
They sorta do. As much as I love this game, it's kinda true. You sorta have to delay the B1 after a blocked J3, thats the best I've got for ya. You seem to go into this forced neutral state when you jump attack things and get blocked. J2 is a matter of timing though, the hitbox is weirdish. It's not as long lasting as youd think, and the hitbox isn't huge.

The same goes for f23; it seems to whiff or get beat out more often than not. I'm finding what should be an amazing string to be not very useful in practice. It's supposed to hit mid, but I see a lot of people beat it with low-hitting attacks as it appears to whiff above their heads. I've tried using it as a punishment tool, but again it just feels like it doesn't want to come out, and attempting to spam inputs in this game appears to delay their execution, as anyone attempting to spam f3 after b1u2 can tell you. It's also way too easy to accidentally unleash Machine Gun against an adjacent opponent if you go from blocking low to a f23 punish.
F23 is a good string on paper, but it's not as super critical in a match from my experience (or maybe I'm wrong and I need to use it more). It's short ranged, but it certainly does hit mid. You might just be getting outsped because the opponent just hit your block with a positive move. If it helps, Sword Spin has the exact same startup time, can produce a true reversal, and hits mid as well.

I can't say I've run into the MG problem though, but like I said, I've yet to incorporate that much F23 into my game yet.

Finally, his damn j3 crossup is incredibly unreliable. Sometimes it manages to catch my opponent from an impossible angle and bounce them up for what feels like an eternity. Other times it either whiffs for no good reason or it hits and barely bounces them off the ground, causing any followups to whiff and getting me punished in the process. I've stopped going for 323 followups entirely, even though they lead to 34% damage, just because it's so unreliable. Even under controlled conditions in practice mode, I can never be sure the crossup will work correctly or that the 323 followup will even come out.
J3? Bounces? I'm assuming you mean F3?
The bounce is fairly easy to work with IMO. I'm not sure what you mean by varying heights of bounce. I just know that J2 is an easy connect after a F3, and it makes 323 completely possible to do, even online. I wouldn't give up on the followups just yet, practice it a little more, trust me, it'll serve you well.

As for the crossup shenanigans, it was states that it wasn't the most reliable thing midscreen, but in the corner it's pure gold. It whiffs if you're too close or the opponent moved under you. If you want a midscreen crossup, I'm pretty sure you can't be RIGHT up in there face, but you have to maintain the right distance to just barely get over them. That's when the back of your feet connect and give you a free combo.

Ok, one last thing then I'm done bitching. His corner issues are also driving me crazy. And I don't mean getting cornered; I mean when he actually has the corner advantage! I see it more as a disadvantage, because if he tries to pressure, odds are his combo will cross up his opponent, dealing less damage than it should and putting him in the corner instead, possibly at disadvantage. Does any other character have this problem? I've never seen one of my opponents accidentally cross over or under me during on of their combos, or not autocorrect after a confirmed j3 or f3.
I've actually come to LOVE DS's cornering game. Like I said, his F3 crosses up there after a hard knockdown (or a normal knockdown if they dont tech). Very few people I have seen successfully blocked this.

What combos are you using in the corner? I understand your problem, I've had it too, but there are 2 ways to remedy this, depending on what combo you are doing.

If you're using F3 or 132, jump BACKWARDS when you do the J2. Deathstroke's 323 has enough range to continue the combo even if you jump backwards, and he has no chance of crossing up.

If you're using B1U2, F3, 323, F23 xx Sword Flip, just wait until the opponent is close to the ground before the 323 (actually, this works for any 323 combo in the corner, the key is waiting).

With good practice and awareness of corner dangers, DS's corner game becomes beastly IMO.

Ok, I'm done now. Long story short: unreliable inputs, frames, spacing, and bounces severely hinder DS's up-close game, and actually encourage DS players to do nothing but shoot from full-screen. /rant

[Edit] Sorry, now one last thing: Is anyone else having issues with accidental Low Shots? If I'm blocking back and attempt a d1 punish, even if I'm careful to go to neutral first (which is easy because I play on Hitbox), I get a damn Low Shot almost every time. And before you ask, yes, release check is off. I also can't use Alternate Controls because they're way too strict in this game to work on Hitbox.
No no, please keep ranting about things. It makes for good discussion material that could help enlighten the DS community as a whole.
I can't say I've had that problem much, but have you tried :qtr1 instead of :d1?

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Mikman360 I did mean j3, not f3. J3 causes a bounce, which allows you to combo into 323-f23-SF for 34%, but trying to do so after a cross-up j3 is inconsistent, to say the least.

As far as f3 corner crossups go, I can't get DS to autocorrect in time for 323 to connect. I've stopped using j2 after f3 because it sometimes whiffs for no good reason online.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
Mikman360 I did mean j3, not f3. J3 causes a bounce, which allows you to combo into 323-f23-SF for 34%, but trying to do so after a cross-up j3 is inconsistent, to say the least.

As far as f3 corner crossups go, I can't get DS to autocorrect in time for 323 to connect. I've stopped using j2 after f3 because it sometimes whiffs for no good reason online.
Well it's not so much a bounce more of it's a knockdown. After J3, I usually go for Aris' 123 vortex. I destroyed this Doomsday player online with almost JUST that vortex all match, it was hilarious. I think it's more important than the straight damage, and certainly more reliable.

Use J2, trust me, it'll make your life easier. It's just a matter of practice. I haven't whiffed a J2 after F3 in the corner online... ever I think. It's certainly more reliable than a raw 323 at least.

Btw... how do you tag people in posts? >.<

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I would call it a bounce, or a juggle at least. It's not a knockdown since you can catch them and combo.

And to tag, just put @name. So @Karaokel*ve would tag me, if I hadn't replaced the "o" with an asterisk.