What's new

Kitana's "new" godlike blockstring.

Altaire

Noob
17% for chip? That is ridiculous. Your opponent lets you jump in and you get that... wow. Mind listing what it is here?

Something else that I've been using is 21~ex fan, jp~33~cutter, jp~21~cutter* for around 36% and you get 60% of a bar back plus you are still close for more abuse. Her normal bnb pushes them fullscreen and this is useful when you want to stay close.

* This last string is chip, but if it hits you get another safe jump.
I almost don't want to post it because I already know I'll be greeted by twenty no-name scrubs screaming "I CAME UP WITH THIS BEFORE YOU DID I JUST NEVER TOLD ANYONE", but meh, it has to come out sometime. I gave this setup to Shujinkydink at Canada Cup, and with the way he tears shit up with Quan's runetrap, I can only imagine what he'll do with this. I've created a monster.

Anyway, there are two setups. This is the full chip setup off a JIP:

JIP 1 1 4 EX knife cancel, F2 1 2 1+2 red dash slide

17 percent for one bar, completely safe (yes, the red slide is safe), and it builds a bar in the process. Unfortunately, I forgot that the post-patch version doesn't let you confirm into a combo, so my bad. Basically, before they changed the JIP properties, you could do JIP F2 1 2 EX knife instead of 1 1 2 EX knife, and this was about a thousand times better for one reason: If they didn't block the string, you could finish the F2 1 2 1+2 and combo for 31% into a standing reset, then do the EX knife jail for 12% and 3/4 of a bar. You can't combo off 1 1 4, so on hit, you can't do much of anything other than shrug at the meager 14% you get for it. The way this blockstring works is that the JIP jails them standing for the 1 1 4, and then the 1 1 4 jails them standing for the EX knife. EX knife cancel is something ridiculous like +25 on block, so it gives you enough advantage to link into pretty much any of her blockstrings. The reason you absolutely need to jail your opponent in stand block is that EX knife will whiff against an opponent in crouch block if you're right next to them, so if it's linked into any string that doesn't jail, your opponent can just crouch and it'll miss. It also hits high, so they could easily poke or uppercut you out of it. After the EX knife cancel, they CAN crouch, but they're still jailed for the followup. Her F2 string hits mid, so there's no avoiding it after the EX knife cancel jails, and it does 8% chip on top of the 2% you get for the red slide at the end.

I haven't had the time to thoroughly test out any alternatives post-patch, but this is a slightly altered version that gives you the opportunity to combo on hit:

JIP 2 1 EX knife cancel, F2 1 2 1+2 red dash slide

This does 16% chip, builds just slightly less than one meter on block, and you can hit confirm the 2 1 into an upslash and combo on hit. I've only recently started putting time into Skarlet again; I was going to play her for Canada Cup, but a week before the tournament, I realized I just hadn't been practicing her enough. I could play her, but I wasn't in tournament shape with her, so I decided to put her on the backburner til the tournament was over. I'm trying to find an alternative that will still jail them standing off JIP (needs to be 15 frames or faster due to the new JIP properties), give me a combo on hit, and jail them standing for the EX knife on block. If I come up with anything better, I'll post my findings here. The 2 1 version is more than adequate, but I feel like there's a better string I could be using for this.

Enjoy the greasiest bullshit this side of Cyrax's resets.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Did I just read a whole Dostoyevsky novel?

Love ya Altaire ;)

But that's pretty nice. I feel like there are a lot of things like this in mk9 that are being overlooked in favor of pure damage.

Deity

Noob
I almost don't want to post it because I already know I'll be greeted by twenty no-name scrubs screaming "I CAME UP WITH THIS BEFORE YOU DID I JUST NEVER TOLD ANYONE", but meh, it has to come out sometime. I gave this setup to Shujinkydink at Canada Cup, and with the way he tears shit up with Quan's runetrap, I can only imagine what he'll do with this. I've created a monster.

17 percent for one bar, completely safe (yes, the red slide is safe), and it builds a bar in the process. Unfortunately, I forgot that the post-patch version doesn't let you confirm into a combo, so my bad. Basically, before they changed the JIP properties, you could do JIP 2 1 2 EX knife instead of 1 1 2 EX knife, and this was about a thousand times better for one reason: If they didn't block the string, you could combo for 31% into a standing reset, then do the EX knife jail for 12% and 3/4 of a bar. You can't combo off 1 1 4, so on hit, you can't do much of anything other than shrug at the meager 14% you get for it. The way this blockstring works is that the JIP jails them standing for the 1 1 4, and then the 1 1 4 jails them standing for the EX knife. EX knife cancel is something ridiculous like +25 on block, so it gives you enough advantage to link into pretty much any of her blockstrings. The reason you absolutely need to jail your opponent in stand block is that EX knifwill whiff on an opponent in crouch block if you're right next to them, so if it's linked into any string that doesn't jail, your opponent can just crouch and it'll whiff. It also hits high, so they could easily poke or uppercut you out of it. After the EX knife cancel, they CAN crouch, but they're still jailed for the followup. Her F2 string hits mid, so after the EX knife cancel, there's no avoiding it, and it does 8% chip on top of the 2% you get for the red slide at the end.

I haven't had the time to thoroughly test out any alternatives post-patch, but this is a slightly altered version that gives you the opportunity to combo on hit:

This does 16% chip, builds just slightly less than one meter on block, and you can hit confirm the 2 1 into an upslash and combo on hit. I've only recently started putting time into Skarlet again; I was going to play her for Canada Cup, but a week before the tournament, I realized I just hadn't been practicing her enough. I could play her, but I wasn't in tournament shape with her, so I decided to put her on the backburner til the tournament was over. I'm trying to find an alternative that will still jail them standing off JIP (needs to be 15 frames or faster due to the new JIP properties), give me a combo on hit, and jail them standing for the EX knife on block. If I come up with anything better, I'll post my findings here. The 2 1 version is more than adequate, but I feel like there's a better string I could be using for this.

Damn F tier character in MK are pretty godlike. En Daggers are plus +22 on block btw and certain strings like b1,1,4 allow en dagger to jail on crouch block(it wont jail if they aren't guarding). Just adding on :)

Altaire

Noob
Damn F tier character in MK are pretty godlike. En Daggers are plus +22 on block btw and certain strings like b1,1,4 allow en dagger to jail on crouch block(it wont jail if they aren't guarding). Just adding on :)
Yeah, but they can just crouch and it'll whiff every time. I do use EX knife jails off standing strings and off 1 1 2 resets, but only in situations where it's guaranteed. Occasionally I'll throw out an EX knife cancel just because it's almost impossible to crouch block on reaction before you move in, so I can do something like EX knife cancel, 1 1 4 EX knife cancel, F2 1 2 1+2 red slide. They'll usually duck after the second EX knife, but again, it's tough to duck on reaction after a random EX knife and the 1 1 4 followup jails them standing for another one. That'll give me 19% for two bars and build one bar in the process, so it's effectively spending one meter for 19% worth of chip. I don't do this often, but occasionally I'll throw it out if I feel like I can get away with it, or if I really need the damage. This is the kind of setup that stops being effective if you start overusing it.

I honestly just took a stab in the dark when I said EX knife cancel was around +25, just by comparison. Apparently, I've gotten pretty good at guessing on my frame counts.

Also, shit like this is the reason I stopped putting any stock in the tier lists. I think 16 Bit said it best: "These guys have a new tier list out every couple hours".

EDIT: Erm, I got mixed up on the double EX knife cancel setup. It's actually EX knife, F2 1 2 EX knife, F2 1 2 1+2. If they duck the 1 1 4, you're going to eat an uppercut. I've just gotten in the habit of substituting F2 1 2 cancel for 1 1 4 cancel after the patch.

Deity

Noob
Yeah, but they can just crouch and it'll whiff every time. I do use EX knife jails off standing strings and off 1 1 2 resets, but only in situations where it's guaranteed. Occasionally I'll throw out an EX knife cancel just because it's almost impossible to crouch block on reaction before you move in, so I can do something like EX knife cancel, 1 1 4 EX knife cancel, F2 1 2 1+2 red slide. They'll usually duck after the second EX knife, but again, it's tough to duck on reaction after a random EX knife and the 1 1 4 followup jails them standing for another one. That'll give me 19% for two bars and build one bar in the process, so it's effectively spending one meter for 19% worth of chip. I don't do this often, but occasionally I'll throw it out if I feel like I can get away with it, or if I really need the damage. This is the kind of setup that stops being effective if you start overusing it.

I honestly just took a stab in the dark when I said EX knife cancel was around +25, just by comparison. Apparently, I've gotten pretty good at guessing on my frame counts.

Also, shit like this is the reason I stopped putting any stock in the tier lists. I think 16 Bit said it best: "These guys have a new tier list out every couple hours".

EDIT: Erm, I got mixed up on the double EX knife cancel setup. It's actually EX knife, F2 1 2 EX knife, F2 1 2 1+2. If they duck the 1 1 4, you're going to eat an uppercut. I've just gotten in the habit of substituting F2 1 2 cancel for 1 1 4 cancel after the patch.
Opponents will definitely catch on after a few En Dagger traps and start crouching them. However, I think this would be a great buffer for Red dash into down-slash. Once they start predict when you are going to knife trap you can down-slash into full combo, then reset into more mix-up. Not sure how good this would work against high level opponents though.

Altaire

Noob
Opponents will definitely catch on after a few En Dagger traps and start crouching them. However, I think this would be a great buffer for Red dash into down-slash. Once they start predict when you are going to knife trap you can down-slash into full combo, then reset into more mix-up. Not sure how good this would work against high level opponents though.
I do red dash downslash very sparingly, because it's full combo punishable on block and it IS possible to fuzzy it, as there's still a noticeable delay between red slide and downslash. I'll use a standard knife (no cancel; I let both knives hit) in some blockstrings to bait a punish attempt sometimes, as it builds more meter than a red slide and once they start to respect this, you can blow them up if you red slide instead. Occasionally I'll even red dash upslash, because while that's technically full combo punishable on block, that's easier said than done. I think it's only around -10 or -15, so really, your opponent has to be expecting it to stop it. It's kind of like Scorpion's B2 in that if it's used sparingly enough, it's difficult to punish. People say you can punish it on reaction, but then, people say you can punish a lot of shit on reaction and it never happens in a real match. It's easy enough to say you can do it in theory, but when you take into account the time it takes you to go "oh shit, he did a move I can punish", THEN the time it takes to actually input your punish, it isn't easy. I tend not to risk it against characters with fast combo starters (Sonya, Kung Lao, Cyrax), but I'll throw it out every once in awhile if I think I can get away with it. I don't mind red dash upslash for this reason, because the window is tighter. The punish window for a downslash is much more generous, so I VERY rarely use this. About the only time I'll downslash outside of a combo is after my opponent expects me to red slide in my blockstring, every time, and I just downslash instead. After so long, most people won't be looking for anything else, they'll just get used to blocking low whenever you go into that blockstring setup.

Really, I'll play as recklessly with Skarlet as I'm allowed to. I'll take some minor risks here and there, and I'll just keep doing it until I start getting punished for it. The only reason I do the standard knife in blockstrings is for the meter, but it does open up the standard knife/red slide as a potential mixup, so whatever. If you really don't want to run the risk, you can just red slide after every blockstring instead, since that's safe.

Altaire

Noob
Quick update: Actually, if you really want the meter back, you can just do end the 2 1 version of the blockstring in a knife cancel. I didn't think that full string jailed them standing, but I guess it does. This actually means that pre-patch, I could've gotten 21% out of this setup... I swear I tried that, and it didn't work. Like, I swear there was some reason I did F2 1 2 instead of the full F2 1 2 1+2, but maybe I overlooked it. If I really could've done the full string and I was doing F2 1 2 the whole time, I am going to feel really, really dumb.

Oh well. The patch has come and gone already, it's whatever.

I've been using 112~ex cutter forever. U can't be poked out as far as I know I've been debating on trying f4~cutter to force crouch blocks then mix it up w the overhead any opinions on that?

VIDA

Focused Grace and Intensity
As per somberness EX dagger canceled is +22 on block. Up slash from red dash is -13 and comes out in 14 frames. She is a wacky character. Personally tho I find Scorp's B2 extremely easy to punish. Downslash from red dash is -18 but it comes out relatively quickly for an opening OH with 20 frames so its not always too bad. Then there are the safe versions in EX form. She is awesome, she needs to be used more.

As per somberness EX dagger canceled is +22 on block. Up slash from red dash is -13 and comes out in 14 frames. She is a wacky character. Personally tho I find Scorp's B2 extremely easy to punish. Downslash from red dash is -18 but it comes out relatively quickly for an opening OH with 20 frames so its not always too bad. Then there are the safe versions in EX form. She is awesome, she needs to be used more.
Um.........wrong topic?

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
It's ok guys... I asked Altaire and he answered then a discussion blew up out of it.

My fault, but good info.

Altaire

Noob
Yeah, sorry for the derail. If you ask me anything about Skarlet, I can go on for pages. I consider myself something of an expert on her. The only character I'd dare to say I know better at this point is Cyber Sub, and being my main, I think I ought to.

...Except most people didn't even know I played Skarlet in the slightest, so that's what's so funny about this for me.

I've been doing 1,1,2 cutter pretty much since i started playing Kitana because i noticed that you could do it and dash in repeat a couple of times for great chip without people really knowing what to do (played a norwegian guy who wrote me an angry message that i quickly became friends with, quite a funny event really). Another great thing i've found is to either follow up 1,1,2 cutter on hit or block with f2,1/sweep or throw. If the opponent is scared and blocks you can probably get a free throw as long as you're quick about it. If the opponent doesn't see it coming a sweep should reach and thus give you a free jump in. The f2,1 as a follow-up gives the big payoff since i find that it seems to beat out alot of attacks, presumably because of timing/spacing. Depending on spacing you could probably use 2,1,cutter/ex fan aswell though that was a rare mixup for me.. Not because it's bad but rather because it costs meter and if it's blocked it stops the whole thing flat.

This may be obvious stuff but it has served me well, though sadly i got bored with the online play. It generally felt "dumb" and i only encountered a few players who even did combos, i never even got into the habbit of even thinking of using breaker during matches. Still love the game, and i want to try to get my friends to start playing it at some point.

GetMindFxcked

Blood Tier

17 percent for one bar, completely safe (yes, the red slide is safe), and it builds a bar in the process. Unfortunately, I forgot that the post-patch version doesn't let you confirm into a combo, so my bad. Basically, before they changed the JIP properties, you could do JIP F2 1 2 EX knife instead of 1 1 2 EX knife, and this was about a thousand times better for one reason: If they didn't block the string, you could finish the F2 1 2 1+2 and combo for 31% into a standing reset, then do the EX knife jail for 12% and 3/4 of a bar. You can't combo off 1 1 4, so on hit, you can't do much of anything other than shrug at the meager 14% you get for it. The way this blockstring works is that the JIP jails them standing for the 1 1 4, and then the 1 1 4 jails them standing for the EX knife. EX knife cancel is something ridiculous like +25 on block, so it gives you enough advantage to link into pretty much any of her blockstrings. The reason you absolutely need to jail your opponent in stand block is that EX knife will whiff against an opponent in crouch block if you're right next to them, so if it's linked into any string that doesn't jail, your opponent can just crouch and it'll miss. It also hits high, so they could easily poke or uppercut you out of it. After the EX knife cancel, they CAN crouch, but they're still jailed for the followup. Her F2 string hits mid, so there's no avoiding it after the EX knife cancel jails, and it does 8% chip on top of the 2% you get for the red slide at the end.

Wouldn't 2 1 2, Ex Dagger Cancel, F2 1 2 1+2 red dash slide work as a block string? If the opponent lets go of block after 2 1 2, Ex Dagger Cancel you could finish it with 2 1 Normal Dagger Cancel, 2 1 red dash slide.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo

17 percent for one bar, completely safe.
Damn that sounds dirty. Is blood ball safe? In theory you could tack an extra 6% onto that block string making it even better.

Altaire

Noob
Damn that sounds dirty. Is blood ball safe? In theory you could tack an extra 6% onto that block string making it even better.
Blood ball is safe (slightly negative on block with a bit of pushback), but I can't find any sort of practical use for it. Believe me, I've been trying to make blood ball work since I first picked her up, because it seems like there should be some way to utilize it in a blockstring setup. The underlying problem is that there's no real way to link into it. It's kind of like Sektor's up missile in that you CAN potentially link it into a combo, but you're basically banking on your opponent not to expect it, since you could just eat a full combo every time. It is special cancelable, so you could probably throw it in sparingly in place of the red slide, but I wouldn't really risk it.

The biggest obstacle confronting the blood ball as part of a blockstring is that you'd need some kind of safe jump setup to make it guaranteed. Even if you could get one, you'd just be better off doing my blockstring for one bar, since you'll just build the bar back anyway and you won't take any damage for it. I'll keep toying with it, though. I'm always in the lab with Skarlet. She's the only character in the game more expansive than Cyrax is.

Altaire

Noob
Oh, and I missed this:

Wouldn't 2 1 2, Ex Dagger Cancel, F2 1 2 1+2 red dash slide work as a block string? If the opponent lets go of block after 2 1 2, Ex Dagger Cancel you could finish it with 2 1 Normal Dagger Cancel, 2 1 red dash slide.
2 1 2 doesn't jail your opponent standing. They can crouch block after the second hit, which will make the EX dagger whiff. Skarlet's EX knife cancel links absolutely require your opponent to be jailed in the stand block animation, or they won't work. The only strings that will do this are 2 1, 1 1 4, F2 1 2 and F2 1 2 1+2, unless I've overlooked one. I tested it pretty thoroughly, and I couldn't find another string that was more practical than 1 1 4 or 2 1 for this link.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
This might be a little off topic, but, speaking of Kitana's block pressure, does d1 jail into cutter?