What's new

Match-up Discussion Kitana Matchup Discussion Thread

This is the problem I have with this. I really don't like this whole appeal to authority thing on matchups (not calling out mr mileena, i mean across all matchup forums on TYM). I don't care if so-and-so says it's a certain way, I don't care how many times so-and-so beat so-and-so, it's about why it's a certain way. I've played Curbo too and it didn't change my opinion on the matchup. Hell, if we judged matchups by Curbolicious then Johnny Cage would be 8-2 on the whole cast. I've played other top Lao players like Forever King, Mezmerize, and Classy Sasquatch too. I still think it's 6-4 for the reasons I stated.

Osu 16 Bit , you had a great little spiel about the way we've been discussing matchups in a recent podcast. perhaps you could chime in a bit here?

Also Mr Mileena stop being salty about losing to Kitanas with Sindel. You're going to make CSZ players cringe lol.
by the way im not salty, the match up is just really bad.
again, once she's in, Sindel is doomed. No armor, no fast normals, an easily baited wake up game.
I can only imagine what CD would to do my Sindel

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Quan Chi...

I don't fear the rune trap at all because he is not getting in more than once per round if that.

Here's how I stop him from even landing a jump punch... right before he hits you, JUMP. He hits you out of the air for 4% right as you leave the ground and you are so low to the ground that he can't combo. If he tries a deep jump kick, your jump will escape it. This is only if he knocks you down and goes for a crossup or is close to you and goes for a crossup (which you can dash out of), all other attempts should be met by anti-air.

Quan cannot trance you randomly... you get EX Fan from even max range to full combo or f21 if you are closer. So what if he throws skulls at you all day. Teleport is extremely punishable and you can take away two out of the three possible landing spots by dashing forward or back and blocking then reacting to where he goes. Full combo punish.

There is no way that Quan wins this matchup.

I also don't see how Sindel loses 7-3 either.

IMO, Noob loses 7-3... that dude is free to Kitana.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Here's how I stop him from even landing a jump punch... right before he hits you, JUMP.
Nobody uses this for escaping JIPs. Ever. I've been using this forever (Not in this particular situation, but you get my point lol).

I respect you alot because you refuse to main another character, much like me (I know i have sindel, but she's not better than Kitana)

In my opinion, Kitana can win EVERY matchup, even her 4/6 (minor disadvantage) She has all she needs, she just doesn't have Majorly good tools such as resets, cancels, etc, but Kitana can handle her own.

Kitana alone can win a tournament, so don't listen to the haters bit, you're probably the most respected player in my view because you have not fallen for the counterpicking scheme :p

I understand people want to win, but we love our character, and you have one of the strongest character loyalty out there.

You'll overcome that kenshi obstacle, and when you do, people better watch out for you.

Kitana has it in her to win every possible matchup.
ACTUALLY im waiting for sunday to show Kitanas wall reset in the nationals... stay tuned I dont have any recording device but if I dont get to do the reset in a match I will ask for someone to record it for everyone to see it, just plz dont abuse it, resets are for retards anyways.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
The MU chart system is supposed to represent two hypothetical equally skilled opponents with mastery of the characters playing a series of 10 matches. A result of 6 to 4 should mean only a minor disadvantage. It's one game away from going even. In the MK community we have 90% of MU at 5/5 and bad advantage at 6/4. You can have a character with every tool you could ask for to beat another but if the other has like one thing going for them it's a 5/5 MU. You don't even dare speak of 7/3. We also insist this is a MU heavy game the likes of which hasn't been seen since ST and I'm pressured almost every day to stop playing my favorite character exclusively, even though I'm blown up if I even say she has a handful of 4/6 MU. I'm done talking MU at TYM. I'm not that good, I don't know what's going on, and no one seems to understand the system.
I feel the same way man, have for awhile now, Except the you saying your not that good part, Once I got shit on for saying CSZ was 7-3 Kitana I was done. I have my own thoughts and ideas on all the match ups. Doesn't mean there right or wrong, i stopped looking at them in terms of out of 10 matches, and started looking at them in terms of Advantage/Disadvantage. People need to stop arguing about match up numbers, and start leveling up, the game is still new!!

VIDA

Focused Grace and Intensity
I'd still say that KL is 5.5 in Kits favor. It is nowhere near as bad as everyone thought initially. KL has many ways to shut her down, he just has to not ever make a mistake or he loses 50%.

I don't know about Kabal though... Kitana's 2 beats all of his wakeup options (even ex nomad) and trades with wakeup saw. I'd only say she loses 4.5-5.5 or goes even with him.

So are there any other characters who have all/most of their wakeups stuffed by standing 2?

VIDA

I have problems against Mileena again lol. Also what do u guys do when ur Kitana blocks a force push by Ermac (w/e range outside of 21)? An offline ErmaC I face throws out TKP then when my Kitana dashes in he just crosses up.

You should be able to punish force push with F+21
You can't, the distance is too far, to punish, but even then, force push is -17 and F+2 is 18 frames.

Punish with 2,1 but if you can't just move in, dashing in mindlessly or trying to punish will most likely make you eat a force push

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
You can't punish with f+2,1 but you can get him to block it. Then once you've established that and you see he's blocking after a blocked TKP you can dash in and begin pressure or throw.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I have problems against Mileena again lol. Also what do u guys do when ur Kitana blocks a force push by Ermac (w/e range outside of 21)? An offline ErmaC I face throws out TKP then when my Kitana dashes in he just crosses up.
If you're noticing that kind of pattern then you should be able to beat it. Just NJP him or move in, back up and AA.

And what's your problem with Mileena?

VIDA

The thing with the TKP jump over is I dont wanna guess with NJP. I could try the walk back 3~fan on reaction tho. Been thinking of using that OS lol. As for Mileena, well its just everything. She's awkward to deal with. It's half that I loss familiarity with her but moreso that the game's evolved and she's played dif from when I was used to her. TeleK, d4, u4 and just her strings make her really annoying. Even worse sometimes I'll fuzzy guard but the game doesnt register it quick enough.

If you're noticing that kind of pattern then you should be able to beat it. Just NJP him or move in, back up and AA.

And what's your problem with Mileena?

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
tbh Mileena should never really even be able to touch you unless you jump and get caught with a teleport kick

i know this happens a lot when people try to jk d4's, but you don't even have to do that. if you get right outside of d4's range, you can bait it and do f2~ex fan, f2~cutter, and if she's in the corner (it will otherwise usually whiff) f21.

VIDA

I dont understand how she shouldnt touch me? And Ive baited d4 and made it whiff, and yet f2 and b12 still do nothing to it. Ive watched CD vs death from winterbrawl, and all I saw was him blocking d4 and responding with d1, and cross jking d4.

VIDA

tbh Mileena should never really even be able to touch you unless you jump and get caught with a teleport kick

i know this happens a lot when people try to jk d4's, but you don't even have to do that. if you get right outside of d4's range, you can bait it and do f2~ex fan, f2~cutter, and if she's in the corner (it will otherwise usually whiff) f21.
Any tourney vids youd suggest watching?

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I dont understand how she shouldnt touch me?
Her normals are slow, the only way she should be applying pressure is with a jump punch. That's great online, but otherwise you're going to get your ass anti-aired. As Konqrr said about Quan Chi, if you're afraid of defending against something then just jump and get knocked down if you are crossed-over.

As for tourney vids, idk. I don't really see Kitana vs Mileena much in tournament. CD just doesn't use f2 much so I don't expect to see that from him when he plays Mileenas.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
@Mr Mileena, in this combo:

f21, njp, 4fan, 4lift...

why do you go for 333lift in the corner instead of 4lift? It does less damage overall and it's not any easier.

Yea I do 4 lift in the corner then use 333 cutter as the combo ender. Does more damage