What's new

Tech Kitana Kombo Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geochron

Noob
Lots of awesome stuff here guys! Here's my meterless BNB I've been doing lately:

JP, b+2,1, NJP, ff, b+2, Air Fan Toss, ff, Fan Toss, 3,3,3, Pretty Kicks - 44%

The 3,3,3 string at the end will whiff on the second hit, I think it MIGHT be able to hit if timed perfectly but I can never do it.

lobo

woof.
Lots of awesome stuff here guys! Here's my meterless BNB I've been doing lately:

JP, b+2,1, NJP, ff, b+2, Air Fan Toss, ff, Fan Toss, 3,3,3, Pretty Kicks - 44%

The 3,3,3 string at the end will whiff on the second hit, I think it MIGHT be able to hit if timed perfectly but I can never do it.
awesome. it is so good to see people making their own BnBs instead of just using the already posted stuff. the game is still so new and unexplored.

Geochron

Noob
awesome. it is so good to see people making their own BnBs instead of just using the already posted stuff. the game is still so new and unexplored.
Yeah I prefer making my own because it's easier to remember and more "mine", but I like looking at other ones for ideas. I've only been really into fighters for about 3 years and I'm finding this game's combo system to be a lot more intuitive than most. My friend who isn't even into fighters started playing this and came up with a 45% combo with Jade after I showed him a few basics. Piecing together pre-existing strings with juggles and dash cancels is a hell of a lot more fun than trying to figure out links based on frame data (not that I don't enjoy that too!).

Any of y'all hear that Kitana is getting patched. I haven't seen this confirmed yet, but I heard that Tom Brady stated on S1lent1's stream last night that they are nerfing Kitana's ability of performing several ground fan throws in one combo.

Hope this isn't true...I've been working hard for the past two days to learn Kitana...Now I feel like I may have to start over :sick:

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Does that mean the ex ground fan combos or 1 ground fan per combo period? Meaning the bnb is gone

DrDogg

Noob
Any of y'all hear that Kitana is getting patched. I haven't seen this confirmed yet, but I heard that Tom Brady stated on S1lent1's stream last night that they are nerfing Kitana's ability of performing several ground fan throws in one combo.

Hope this isn't true...I've been working hard for the past two days to learn Kitana...Now I feel like I may have to start over :sick:
I don't want to see Kitana nerfed at all. Anyone who said she needs to be nerfed should get a slap in the face.

Yes, she has more damage than most other characters (without X-ray), but that's really all she has to rely on. She has poor rush down and frame trap options, and her zoning isn't the best compared to some other characters (still good though), and doesn't work nearly as well against teleport characters. Drop her damage or alter her combos and she'll take a big drop in the tier list. I don't even think she's top tier at the moment.

Honestly, many of the changes I've heard are all bad. Change the game too much and it becomes boring... I don't care how balanced it is.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
After lisening to the show I believe he's talking about her ground EX fan combos where you ex fan cancel, jump in combo, ex fan cancel, jump in combo.

Dark Kobra

Hitbox™ Enthusiast
Maybe you can only do one EX fan cancel per combo? She can break 50% damage as it is with no meter, so if you are throwing one EX cancel, you may be able to break 60%... I'm going to try it in a short while and will post my results... I think Komqrr has already done one with one meter for a 58%, but going into the praccy mode and see what I can find

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I hope it's just the :en loop you can do and not the ability to use more than one ground fan in a combo. I haven't had a chance to listen to the show...what time in the video is where Brady talks about the Kitana nerfs?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it...

They talk about Kitana's nerf @ 1:22:50

http://www.justin.tv/s1lent1/b/285987360

Dark Kobra

Hitbox™ Enthusiast
If you can only use one ex fan in the loop you can get a 20 hit 59% damage although I believe Konqrr that you said you can get a 61?? I know you mentioned something about that earlier in the thread. I've tried tagging on an X-ray too, but can only get a 54% dmg. Still decent, but when you are hitting out a 25 hit 67% dmg combo, you kind of feel robbed!

This is the Frankencombo, credit to Persona for the start and to Konqrr and Bob for the rest of the combo

Jps 1/2, f+4 or f+2... (These two are interchangable because they both do the same amount of damage) d,f+1 (EX Cancel), j/p +1/2, f+2,1, NJP+1 / 2, Dash (buffer the dash while performing the NJP), 4~d,f+1, 4~bb+2, dash, dash, b+2~ d,f+1 (Air fan toss), d,f+1, f+2~d,f+2, d+1

This should give you the 20 hits, 59 dmg and from mid screen, it will put them into the corner.

Shiizu

Theory Fighter
Brady mentions that they're removing Kitana's multiple fan combos at first. But later on corrects himself and says that they're only removing the ground fan loop (SRK probably missed the latter part), which IMO is not a big loss. She'll still get to keep most of her BnBs if that's the case, as burning meter on ground fan loops just to get that extra 5-10% damage isn't the best use of meter IMO.

Dark Kobra

Hitbox™ Enthusiast
Yeah I do agree with you there. Can get that back in chip damage. and Kit I'm sure has got a lot of nice setups.... Hope Tom has a few nice ones that he can share!

S-I-C

Brutal-Dedication
Maybe I'm a dumbass, but can someone please explain how to read this to me??

39% - f+2,1, b+2~Air Fan Toss, ff, 4~Fan Toss, f+2,1 (NuSix3)

45% - f+2,1, NJP, ff, NJP, b+2, Air Fan Toss, ff, Fan Toss, ff, 2~Fan Toss, ff, 2~d,f+2 (sliverfish)

47% - f+2,1, f+2~ Fan Toss, 4~Fan Lift, ff, ff, b+2~Air Fan Toss, ff, Fan Toss, ff, 4~d,f+2 (bob)

48% - f+2,1, 4~Fan Toss, 4~Fan Lift, ff, ff, b+2~Air Fan Toss, ff, Fan Toss, ff, 4~d,f+2 (DaeDraug)

51% - f+2,1, NJP, 4~Fan Toss, 4~Fan Lift, ff, ff, b+2~Air Fan Toss, Fan Toss, 4~d,f+2 (bob

I understand the fan lift and all that, what I dont understand is the f+2,1, NJP....wtf does all this mean? I have kit down pat but obviously, I can use improvements. Someone please put together a "how to read/definition" list of all this shit for me...

low_kix

Noob
F+2 is hold forward and press back punch. NJP is neutral jump punch (jump straight up and punch on way down to cause pop up)

"I am vengeance, I am the night..."

NuSix3

Boob
Maybe I'm a dumbass, but can someone please explain how to read this to me??

39% - f+2,1, b+2~Air Fan Toss, ff, 4~Fan Toss, f+2,1 (NuSix3)

45% - f+2,1, NJP, ff, NJP, b+2, Air Fan Toss, ff, Fan Toss, ff, 2~Fan Toss, ff, 2~d,f+2 (sliverfish)

47% - f+2,1, f+2~ Fan Toss, 4~Fan Lift, ff, ff, b+2~Air Fan Toss, ff, Fan Toss, ff, 4~d,f+2 (bob)

48% - f+2,1, 4~Fan Toss, 4~Fan Lift, ff, ff, b+2~Air Fan Toss, ff, Fan Toss, ff, 4~d,f+2 (DaeDraug)

51% - f+2,1, NJP, 4~Fan Toss, 4~Fan Lift, ff, ff, b+2~Air Fan Toss, Fan Toss, 4~d,f+2 (bob

I understand the fan lift and all that, what I dont understand is the f+2,1, NJP....wtf does all this mean? I have kit down pat but obviously, I can use improvements. Someone please put together a "how to read/definition" list of all this shit for me...
1 = Square / X / FP
2 = Triangle / Y / BP
3 = X / A / FK
4 = Circle / B / BK

u = up
b = back
d = down
f = forward
N = Neutral, as in not touching a direction on the d-pad or letting your arcade stick fall back into neutral state.
J = jump
(in Tekken, where most of this notation is borrowed from, capital letters mean you press and hold the direction but I don't think it applies to mk as of yet)

+ (plus sign) means you press a combination of inputs together, as in f+4 meaning you press forward and 4 at the same time.
~ (tilda) was borrowed from Tekken where it means you need to do a slide input, in other words 1 button after the other really friggin' fast. There are no slide inputs in MK9 (as far as i know) so people have been using it to show where move cancels are, or sometimes just when things need to be done really really quickly. For example, 2~fan throw means you need to enter the command for fan throw immediately after pressing 2 so Kitana skips the retract animation of the 2 and goes directly into throwing her fans. You might see some street fighter people using xx to say the same thing, like 2 xx fan throw.
, (comma) is only supposed to be used for game programmed combos (i.e. f+2,1,2) but just about everyone uses it as a generic spacing tool between move sets so it can get kind of confusing if you're not familiar with Kitana's move list.

S-I-C

Brutal-Dedication
1 = Square / X / FP
2 = Triangle / Y / BP
3 = X / A / FK
4 = Circle / B / BK

u = up
b = back
d = down
f = forward
N = Neutral, as in not touching a direction on the d-pad or letting your arcade stick fall back into neutral state.
J = jump
(in Tekken, where most of this notation is borrowed from, capital letters mean you press and hold the direction but I don't think it applies to mk as of yet)

+ (plus sign) means you press a combination of inputs together, as in f+4 meaning you press forward and 4 at the same time.
~ (tilda) was borrowed from Tekken where it means you need to do a slide input, in other words 1 button after the other really friggin' fast. There are no slide inputs in MK9 (as far as i know) so people have been using it to show where move cancels are, or sometimes just when things need to be done really really quickly. For example, 2~fan throw means you need to enter the command for fan throw immediately after pressing 2 so Kitana skips the retract animation of the 2 and goes directly into throwing her fans. You might see some street fighter people using xx to say the same thing, like 2 xx fan throw.
, (comma) is only supposed to be used for game programmed combos (i.e. f+2,1,2) but just about everyone uses it as a generic spacing tool between move sets so it can get kind of confusing if you're not familiar with Kitana's move list.
Thank you very much.

TYM Mobile

UPR_Nova

Noob
Credit goes to youtube poster personaworld. We (non Kitana players) really have to potentially deal with these hoss combos? Are these vialble? Just found this from a simple search and it got me wondering why we don't see more in competitive play. Of course the drop chance is high but risk to reward ratio seems overpowered to the side of reward. Can someone please explain? It would be greatly appreciated.

Dark Kobra

Hitbox™ Enthusiast
No Topper, the ex fan loop at the beginning of some of those combos will be taken out I believe. But I think us Kitana players can still do one. If Kitana hasn't had her dmg toned down, then she can hit out a 59 /60% dmg combo still, but according to some players, Kitana has taken a 1 - 5% nerf on her dmg output. Cannot confirm this yet though as mine isn't updated yet. But some those combos are friggin almost impossible to pull off in a proper match, especially online. SO I wouldn't worry too much... ;) However, her first combo is still valid and have got that one out against the CPU in a match so I assume you could get it in a proper match, but not too sure with the online due to the lag and that.

UPR_Nova

Noob
Thank goodness! I was worried about going to Nashville next month and getting stomped by a Kitana. I have very little experience against this character and seeing that video made me wonder. Thank you for the clarification Dark Kobra.

Really interested in maining/alternating with Kitana. Can someone please tell me her basic BnBs that are used? I wish there was a guide for her.

Dark Kobra

Hitbox™ Enthusiast
Really interested in maining/alternating with Kitana. Can someone please tell me her basic BnBs that are used? I wish there was a guide for her.
Hey Crimson, her BnBs are mainly on the front page and I believe Konqrr has posted up a combo vid of some of her BnBs, you can alternate em!

Thanks. Do all the combos on the front page still work, and what all got patched on kitana? I heard it was just damage but it might be more.

Dark Kobra

Hitbox™ Enthusiast
I believe that her fan loops are still in, but it has all been toned down according to my friend. I could get a 67 dmg combo with her, but now apparently she's lost 7% dmg so she now outputs 60 damage of that combo. Those combos should still connect, although the damage maybe lower.

I know that jps, f+2,1,njp~ff, 4~d,f+1, ~b,b+2, ff,ff,b+2~d,f+1, d,f+1, f+2~d,f+2, d+1 still is 50% damage, so that one hasn't changed, it seems to be that the damageon her ex fan loops have been toned.

Status
Not open for further replies.