What's new

Kitana General Discussion

MkPeezy

Unicorn Papi
For Kitana to be this beautiful and cool looking but be this dull, linear, and her fans which are the staple of the character to be basically useless now makes no sense. Idk what direction they were going for with her but clearly Kitana mains and fans (pun intended) are not on board.

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
It’s disheartening to say the least. Doesn’t feel like Kitana at all.

Meanwhile, I’ve been toying around with Edenian Twist and... wow... it’s a whole new world for her. She basically becomes this crazy, unsafe, mixup character with the same damage output as Her Highness variation. It’s even more crazy if paired with low fan. From just the b2,3,1 string you can:

B2,3,1, lift (mid, low, mid, mid, mid)
B2,3,1, twist (mid, low, mid, mid, overhead)
B2,3,1, low fan (mid, low, mid, mid, low)
B2,3,1, amp low fan (mid, low, mid, mid, low, mid)
B2,3,1, throw (mid, low, mid, mid, throw)
B2,3(1) twist (mid, low, overhead)
B2,3,(1) low fan (mid, low, low,)
B2,3,(1) amp low fan (mid, low, low, mid)
B2, twist (mid, overhead)
B2, low fan (mid, low)
B2, amp low fan (mid, low, mid)
B2, throw (mid, throw)

So essentially, they would have to guess high or low after every button of the b2,3,1 string in addition to throws after the first and fourth hit. The catch of course is that if they guess correctly you’re eating big damage. Ideally, you’d let the b2,3,1 string ride without cancelling (unless you confirm into lift, of course) and observe how they block it while remaining safe. Then you’ll have a good idea how to trip them up next time because, well, it’s not like you don’t have options on this string alone, lol.

All that said, still feels nothing like Kitana. :(

Sai variation is the way to go.
Safe move, cancelS, counter zoning, possible set ups, better up close game. Imagine if she could combo off Sai toss ( @ NRS )

Don't be afraid to do a string into Sai toss they won't punish you...all the time.

B2 is the only things going for her imo.
B2 stagger into short hop 2 is the secret stagger lol

S2 is useless right now do to how mashy this game is currently especially with d2s and how they are.

D1 is low key ass (I'm glad it's +10 now though)
D3 and D4 are also ass
B1 is...okay?

Overall Sai variation is fine.
The other one how ever is very bland (like most character tbh) other than "combo potential".
Well, I can't compare it to her normal variation since I didn't check it nor I currently played against it, but here's my thoughts based on what you said:

1) Her damage potential is way too low thus a serious disadvantage compared to other characters/her normal variation. Her 7 frames punish is 13% and her 9 is 16%. The best way to punish stuff would have been by ending with db2 to be at +16 and resume pressure, but that only connects with her 13 frames mid against only male characters and only if you are on the left side of the screen.

2) I highly doubt cancelling pressure into sai toss can be viable. It is way too slow and if you get hit the sai disappears. If you had some success with it is probably because your opponents had no idea how to play against it, but once they learn to expect it I believe you will be punished every time.

3) Her cancel is nice of course but if your opponent reads it you will be punished probable 3x the damage Kitana can do.

4) Counter zoning? Well, the tele is way too slow to react to anything from what I've seen. It's just there to yolo it out once per game to make your opponent respect it. Also according to the frame data you are negative on hit whether you amplify it or not. The good thing is nobody punishes it yet.

Whist the variation is fun to play, is seems weak compared to what other characters can do. The only thing I look forward to is potential setups with sai toss.

Bring back her fan juggling combo potential !!! She used to be a queen of the air ... now , she's nothing ... a generic, boring, bland character , painfully boring to watch ... :(

Last edited:

armani

Noob
It’s disheartening to say the least. Doesn’t feel like Kitana at all.

Meanwhile, I’ve been toying around with Edenian Twist and... wow... it’s a whole new world for her. She basically becomes this crazy, unsafe, mixup character with the same damage output as Her Highness variation. It’s even more crazy if paired with low fan. From just the b2,3,1 string you can:

B2,3,1, lift (mid, low, mid, mid, mid)
B2,3,1, twist (mid, low, mid, mid, overhead)
B2,3,1, low fan (mid, low, mid, mid, low)
B2,3,1, amp low fan (mid, low, mid, mid, low, mid)
B2,3,1, throw (mid, low, mid, mid, throw)
B2,3(1) twist (mid, low, overhead)
B2,3,(1) low fan (mid, low, low,)
B2,3,(1) amp low fan (mid, low, low, mid)
B2, twist (mid, overhead)
B2, low fan (mid, low)
B2, amp low fan (mid, low, mid)
B2, throw (mid, throw)

So essentially, they would have to guess high or low after every button of the b2,3,1 string in addition to throws after the first and fourth hit. The catch of course is that if they guess correctly you’re eating big damage. Ideally, you’d let the b2,3,1 string ride without cancelling (unless you confirm into lift, of course) and observe how they block it while remaining safe. Then you’ll have a good idea how to trip them up next time because, well, it’s not like you don’t have options on this string alone, lol.

All that said, still feels nothing like Kitana. :(
this is why I think that she should have an edenian twist, up fan, and ground war variation. it makes the most sense.

she becomes this high risk, high reward mixup character as quoted above. with the addition of midscreen combos. look!!

j2 b231 lift j1 j2 12 twist
j2 b14 lift dash b34 upfan f2 twist
j2 b231 lift j2 b2 upfan f2 execution kb!
j2 b231 twist kb! j1 b2 execution
j2 b14 lift b34 upfan j2 12 twist

if NRS made this happen, I would be so happy. really. ground war and edenian twist become this really cool kitana. upfan makes her an air controlling midscreen combo character which is even better. she gains a taste of the original kitana that she was in older games.

can you guys see this happening?

Rozalin1780

this is why I think that she should have an edenian twist, up fan, and ground war variation. it makes the most sense.

she becomes this high risk, high reward mixup character as quoted above. with the addition of midscreen combos. look!!

j2 b231 lift j1 j2 12 twist
j2 b14 lift dash b34 upfan f2 twist
j2 b231 lift j2 b2 upfan f2 execution kb!
j2 b231 twist kb! j1 b2 execution
j2 b14 lift b34 upfan j2 12 twist

if NRS made this happen, I would be so happy. really. ground war and edenian twist become this really cool kitana. upfan makes her an air controlling midscreen combo character which is even better. she gains a taste of the original kitana that she was in older games.

can you guys see this happening?
Up fan is a nice choice too. An up fan and regular fan can be on screen at once which controls a lot of space.

However, I doubt they would make a tournament viable variation with Edenian Twist, Ground War, and either up fan or low fan. I base this on her presets having one listed called “Royal Treatment” which consists of Edenian Twist, Ground War, and Edenian Razors — and is the only listed preset that contains Edenian Twist at all. I mean, it makes sense they would do that to pseudo-nerf it’s full potential.

Xeteh

Noob
Can anyone help me out, I worked on this combo for a bit and now that I'm getting it all the way through I can't tell why it is dropping in the middle. I'm losing out on the potential Quick Execution KB.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
I got good news! Fan combos still work but they are corner only!

What you do is lift, J3, 21, fan, 12 into an ender of your choice.

Can anyone help me out, I worked on this combo for a bit and now that I'm getting it all the way through I can't tell why it is dropping in the middle. I'm losing out on the potential Quick Execution KB.

You're using the modified tornado, it makes the combo drop in that part of the combo. Use the regular tornado

Espio

Kokomo
Staggers? Pressure? I was told this doesn’t exist
I think the biggest problem on the forums right now is too much theory fighting. It's plaguing a lot of the discourse. Even if you're -4 you can set up stagger scenarios hell Cetrion players are doing more negative staggers than that and getting TOP players with mind games from them. If it's good enough to get high level players, it's good enough for mid level and otherwise.

Frame data matters, but people treat it like you can't do anything or you're limited strictly by it.

KriegerOfLucent

Embrace Walkback™
J Vs Honeybee (Noob Saibot)

That was a masterclass. Thank you so much.
What I have learnt is:
  • Not every string in the kit has to be used. Use just what works. We only have 3 viable strings out of 11 ? Use those and forget everything else.
  • Not every minus is worth respecting, as @Espio said.
Thank you again.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
There were literally 2, maybe 3, staggers in that entire video. The rest was all hit confirming or yoloing into a lift. It was hardly a proof of concept on how viable Kitana staggers are in her first variation.

John_NX

Your circumstances are dire!
I’m just going to say it. Kitana is trash. Like what even IS she?

Her punishes aren’t hard hitting enough to be that scary, and anyone else with combos will punish just as hard. She can whiff punish, but every other character can do it just as well.

Staggers? Please. Anyone who knows the matchup after 2 weeks is just going to poke you out of everything since she has to commit to damn near every string she has thanks to the dialed inputs. B2 is great, but it’s also 17 frames. Can’t be used for a punish, and it’s slow, so unless someone is doing something monumentally unsafe from a distance long enough for you to see it she’s not whiff punishing shit. God forbid you miss part of the string too, since you have to dial in b231. They jump on oki because you barely mistimed? Great. You’re flying across the screen stuck in a string and they get a free check.

Her zoning is lackluster as fuck. Just duck and you have nothing to fear, maybe an errant ass here and there for that sweet 5% it does.

Then they go and take away her air combos, something Kitana has been known for since MK2. She is so basic and linear it’s sickening.

I suppose the argument will be “pick the Mileena variation.” So I have even less to check people with on the ground (any move with pushback she won’t be punishing), and I give up any semblance of damage unless I have a single crushing blow charged.

Christ.
Thank you, someone finally said it.

KriegerOfLucent

Embrace Walkback™
If we want to see our favorite character viable, we have to unite and respectfully engage NRS on twitter and proof with videos what is wrong with her gameplay and what we want from her. I have already started doing that days ago and sending example and supporting arguments about the whole mess.

I think she has great potential, the foundation is also good. The problem is that she is limited by the nature of her competitive kit. I am talking strictly about her competitive variations, since that is what interests me. There might be an awesome combination of moves that render her completely OK, but that is not what I am after.

So let's be united, respectful and nice things will happen, I am positive. We have been through this once with MKX.

Rozalin1780

So let's be united, respectful and nice things will happen, I am positive. We have been through this once with MKX.
This. The irony is she isn't even close to as bad as she was in MKX during the same time period. That Kitana was trash. This one is just basic.

So with that in mind, let's talk matchups. That hasn't been touched upon yet. Who is she good against? Who does she struggle against? When she struggles, what are her options? These are the hard questions that need to be answered before saying a character isn't viable.

Haven't got the game yet, but with Dan combos seemingly gone, does anyone else have anything similar? Outside of the corner, that is