What's new

Strategy Kitana General discussion

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
You get a free throw if you block the kano up ball. It is REALLY hard, you have to do it earlier than you think...oh and do the back throw so if they try to do another up ball (it uses button 2), they won't break your throw by trying to do another one.

I was messing around with some of the mix ups that Sleepy posted on the last page in training mode. I noticed that a back 1 or standing 2 into fanslice on hit caused quite a bit of stagger on the dummy. It would seem that this could lead to a safe jump in, but I'm unsure without a real opponent. Can anyone confirm this is a safe jump?

Good way to keep the pressure on if it is.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I think her df2 cutter gives a safejump, not sure. Someone in another thread said it was.

Her ground fan is not, but it forces them to stand and you get free pressure when it hits or a free throw attempt. Basically, when you hit a grounded opponent with a ground fan, you get a free strike/throw mixup.

Shiizu

Theory Fighter
I think her df2 cutter gives a safejump, not sure. Someone in another thread said it was.
I think it does, i've yet to be hit out of a jump after df2 cutter against any character, and I use it very often. It gives Kitana a free throw most of the times, since people are always expecting an overhead from the jump in. It'd be nice if Kitana could combo off a low, but i've been using a throw for now.

elPollo_Diablo

In The Lab
so Osu 16 is a troll huh
enhanced wave dash goes through projectiles huh

matter of fact yoy Kitana users
If you have a PS3, come challenge me
friend request me cause I'm damn sure I'm the best Kitana on the PS3

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
so Osu 16 is a troll huh
enhanced wave dash goes through projectiles huh

????

I don't know what you're talking about, ex ass has armor. I know the wording was "immune" to projectiles and youre not exactly immune since you still take damage but you blow through them.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
????

I don't know what you're talking about, ex ass has armor. I know the wording was "immune" to projectiles and youre not exactly immune since you still take damage but you blow through them.
It's good to use after a Kabal knocks you down in the corner and does an air fireball to hit you out of your square boost for a spin combo. If you use the EX version, you will hit him.

elPollo_Diablo

In The Lab
????

well what I've seen, the enhanced wave dash gets punished by air projectiles so I'm calling you out on that
I was playing against a Kabal and used it but still got hit with with a normal air projectileprojectile

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
well what I've seen, the enhanced wave dash gets punished by air projectiles so I'm calling you out on that
I was playing against a Kabal and used it but still got hit with with a normal air projectileprojectile

Call me out man, I know I'm right. I've done it in practice and in a real fight. I blew through Sindel air fireballs last night. I know for a fact I've done it against Mileena's air sai and her own fans. I don't see why Kabal's wouldn't apply. I'm guessing you did it too early. she can be hit during the start up.

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
So despite the fact that I can pull out some half decent combos I seem to really struggle with quick string pokes and often lose to some really crappy players as I just can't seem to get out of it. I'm using d+1 to interrupt strings but can't seem to get anything out quickly enough after that.

What are you guys finding works best?

Sleepy

Noob
So despite the fact that I can pull out some half decent combos I seem to really struggle with quick string pokes and often lose to some really crappy players as I just can't seem to get out of it. I'm using d+1 to interrupt strings but can't seem to get anything out quickly enough after that.

What are you guys finding works best?
You can blend that down 1 poke into any one of her specials. Into her cutter is good ( If the cutter hits, You'll get a free jump in ), Into her down back 4 is a nice mix up which will train your opponent to block low, Leaving openings for her overheads.

Zebster

How's my volume?
So can you use square punch on reaction to Sektor's missile or fake out kick to avoid the missile while gaining meter? I can't test it out correctly at the moment.

Lomyn

Snoctopus
matter of fact yoy Kitana users
If you have a PS3, come challenge me
friend request me cause I'm damn sure I'm the best Kitana on the PS3
I go out east to visit some friends every couple of months, so I can swing by and meet up with your scene for casuals while I'm down there. I don't play online though, waste of time/energy.

Kwon

---->----
????

Ex Ass?

What exactly do you mean with ex Ass?

Ex Ass?

What exactly do you mean with ex Ass?
If you're actually wondering and not being funny; they are talking about "Square Boost". Some people apparently call it wavedash even though wave dash is something completely different and some say butt slam or ass dive or whatever.

Does Kitana have a block string which starts high and then goes low? I know she does have down, back, 4 but that just hits low only. I'm looking more for a combo which starts off high and then immediately attacks low without any pauses in between.

F2,1 is nice if it hits because of a possibility of a high damaging combo, but if they block it my friend has learned to jump over me and attack (cross me up in other words). I go for the D1 after a blocked F2,1 and sometimes I don't do it fast enough to prevent them from crossing me up. I don't know if it's just my timing or what.

Also, is it just me or do any of y'all sometimes have problems with hitting the U+1 after a successful F2,1? Sometimes my jumping punch completely whiffs even though it feels (to me) that I have the timing correctly. I don't know if hitting that U+1 is stance dependent or not. Yes, according to this video: , stance changes does affect certain combos.

Dark Kobra

Hitbox™ Enthusiast
I don't know of any strings that go high and low, but one mix up you could do I suppose, if f+4, because you can go either b+4, to do the sweep, or press 1 to do the overhead. Its not much but if they get caught up by the sweep, you could perhaps bait out a wake up attack and punish it. If they start blocking the sweep, you could do the overhead. Like I said, it isn't much, but it's a little something extra to keep people on their toes.

If your friend has started jumping you, then after the f+2,1, do a jneutral jump punch. The odds are that when they are jumping, they will not hit the attack button immediately, so you will catch them with a njp (neutral jump punch) then you can do any of your juggles. If the njp doesn't connect or they jump back, you can whiff the njp and thow out an air fan, that they will eat if they start jumping backwards.

Also as regards to hitting the U+1? You can do u+2 as well. The way that I do it, is after the f+2,1, I tap the u,~1 or 2 as the opponents character is approaching the peak of the launcher, or you can start it as Kitana is about to land from her f+2,1 (both are around the same timing). There is a technique that Wonder Chef over at Mortal Kombat United said. After the launcher you do whats called 'Pianoing' which is when you tap 'u', you immediately do 1~2. This should double the chance of the neutral jump punch coming out. I hope this helps.

Mystery, did you happen to check out the video link that I posted to Silent1s show earlier in the thread? If you follow that link sir, you will get a good breakdown of some of the tricks you can do after the f+2,1. If you can't locate it man, please send us a PM and I'll send you the link!!!

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
She has f+4,b+4. Canceling into d,b+4 like doing 2,1~d,b+4 or b+1~d,b+4 or using a poke like d+3.

If you think they're going to try a crossup you can jump back and air to air kick into fan.

Yes njp after f+2,1 was tricky to learn. what I do is hold up right after the popup then wait until they begin to fall and tap punch.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
In MK, it's not P-Linking as that term in SF4 means Priority Linking... look up exactly what that means and you will see how it does not apply here. It is the same concept with pressing one button as soon as possible after the other, but in this instance it is called Pianoing.

So after a successful f21, hold up and time the njp by pressing 2~1 or 1~2. I rarely miss it since I've been doing this.

What Osu said is good stuff too. When I get a safe jump after a Cutter, I like to jump in punch and link in either sweep, f4,b4, f41~Cutter, f41~db4 or simply throw.

I've also found some new Kitana technology to prevent crossups without burning meter for an :en Fan Lift and gives me a 43% combo ^_^ It's kind of risky and hard to time, but once I get it down, it will be devastating.

Dark Kobra

Hitbox™ Enthusiast
Edited. Apologies for the incorrect terminology. Never heard the terms before. Just that I was asked if I was familiar with 'Plinking' and was then told the above method. Post has now been corrected and apologies for any confusion caused.

Shiizu

Theory Fighter
Does anyone use her 333 string frequently outside of combos? How good is it compared to her other strings? Lately i've been using it as a corner trap for people who try to get out of the corner, and i've had some decent success stuffing people who try to do something on wake-up with 333. Is it useful as an anti-air? Her first kick does seem to have a pretty high reach.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Edited. Apologies for the incorrect terminology. Never heard the terms before. Just that I was asked if I was familiar with 'Plinking' and was then told the above method. Post has now been corrected and apologies for any confusion caused.
No apology necessary, just glad I could clear it up.

Does anyone use her 333 string frequently outside of combos? How good is it compared to her other strings? Lately i've been using it as a corner trap for people who try to get out of the corner, and i've had some decent success stuffing people who try to do something on wake-up with 333. Is it useful as an anti-air? Her first kick does seem to have a pretty high reach.
I find the string to be unreliable and lacking in range so I don't use it. I could see how it could be useful in the corner though if they try to jump out.

Something i tested recently, because i figured it had to be so was whether f3,1,2 avoided low attacks, and yes, with the right timing it does. Others may have tried this, but if it's new to anyone, i think it is worth considering testing it a bit because it might be a good way to beat the opponent if you expect him/her to try to poke you between strings or something like that.

Kwon

---->----
If you're actually wondering and not being funny; they are talking about "Square Boost". Some people apparently call it wavedash even though wave dash is something completely different and some say butt slam or ass dive or whatever.
Ah the Wavedash!

Thanks Fluke! Now i know what people mean when they say the ass/buttdive regarding Kit