What's new

Strategy Kitana General discussion

If the opponent has breaker hit - only 1 bar!!!

This is not a 10-15% is exactly 11%.

Situations when these 11% can finish up to the end of a very rare, almost always opponent can use breaker before.

Fun Lift saves 1 bar. And gives an opportunity to unbreakble damage through FT iFT FT if opponent have breaker!!

I'm with Kai; I always hit-confirm "2,1" into lift. Sure, it's more damage with the charged fan, but unless it will win the round, or I nearly have an x-ray, I tend to opt for the lift. She can do such high damage without meter that I try to save meter for breakers, although, if I have near an x-ray, I.ll throw a naked charged fan sometimes.

My bnb off of 2,1:
2,1, lift. Dash, dash, njp, dash, b2~air fan, dash, ground fan, dash, 2~fan, dash, 2~cutter.

It comes out to 37%, I think.

Im sure someone has a more damaging meterless 2,1 kombo. . .So post it, so I can steal it. :)
The main thing is not to save meters!
The main thing in the possibility of inflicting great unbreakble damage!

I have a 41% NJP 21 fan lift combo, I agree sometimes the ex fan shouldn't be used, it shouldn't be used if they are near a breaker.
But I would still use it otherwise because with Kitana, in my opinion, you always want to find yourself with the life lead. The bigger the lead, the better. You can IAF and build back that m
Because if not, Kitana has to approach the enemy.

I like her being in control and having control of the match, health wise as well.
I like throwing fans a lot because they are pretty and I can't do that if I dont have the life lead

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
If the opponent has брейкер. The kitana spends bar, and the opponent spends 2.
reward with 2 1 in hit - only 1 bar!!!

Situations when these 11% can finish up to the end of a very rare, almost always opponent can use breaker before.

Fun Lift saves 1 bar. And gives an opportunity to unbreakble damage through FT iFT FT if opponent have breaker!!
I love the way you type man.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
If the opponent has breaker hit - only 1 bar!!!

Let me break this down:

1. In almost every situation where the opponent has less than 1 1/2 bars or so, there is no reason not to use ex fan. By the time they have breaker, it won't be worth it for them to use it unless they're about to die. In most matchups, you have opportunities to build that bar back pretty quickly with zoning and cutter strings (112~cutter, for example, builds a ton of meter). In matchups like Kenshi and Kabal where you don't have those meter building abilities, it's still best to use ex fan because you want to deal as much damage as possible since you have fewer ways of doing so.

2. As far as unbreakable combos go, that shouldn't normally be your option unless it's ending a match. 21~lift is great when your opponent is sitting on a lot of meter, but a lot of times you want your opponent to break. Taking away Sonya's option to use ex cartwheel and Cyrax's ability to do resets is a big game changer.

3. I'm 100% sold on the term fun lift.

4. It's not always about finishing up a match, but putting the opponent in a bad position. 11% can be very important for this. If you get a significant life lead on a character like Sub Zero, you can sit back and throw fans for the rest of the match. But when you don't do that, he can pull some bullshit and come back. Even 11% can be a nice buffer against a potential comeback.

Ginchy Chris

Super Chef
Lol. Why does someone have to be right? Everyone has their own playstyle and that's what's dope. There is no correct way to play her. Every Kitana looks different, and that's a good thing for the Kitty community.

Lol. Why does someone have to be right? Everyone has their own playstyle and that's what's dope. There is no correct way to play her. Every Kitana looks different, and that's a good thing for the Kitty community.
You came in here with your opinion, and we showed you ours.

No one is claiming anyone to be incorrect.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
That's true, to an extent, but to be completely honest you're just not going to do as well at a high level if you're not doing certain things. If you decide you don't like instant air fans and only want to use ground fans, more power to you, but good luck fighting half the cast.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Revolver explained it well.

However, there are times when I should use 2,1~lift instead of 2,1~cutter or 2,1~EX ground fan and don't. During one of those times if you can't make sense of why, it probably means I have no good reason and I've just made a mistake.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Revolver explained it well.

However, there are times when I should use 2,1~lift instead of 2,1~cutter or 2,1~EX ground fan and don't. During one of those times if you can't make sense of why, it probably means I have no good reason and I've just made a mistake.
lol we all do that though. sometimes i can't think fast enough to see that 21 hit, judge both meter bars, and judge both health bars and make the right decision for lift or ex fan.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
lol lets talk about "wtf" moments you've had with kit. here's mine:

-does d1, yet 11 comes out
-after fan lift, goes for unbreakable being doing fan toss, yet standing 1 comes out
-does f21, hits with f2, 1 whiffs
-hits with fan full screen, goes for ex fan toss, yet i stand there holding block
-hits with 21 ex fan, hits with jip, f21 is blocked

that's all i can think of lol. im sure there's more

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
-does d1, yet 11 comes out
This is why online is so difficult for me. I never press a button more than once when I do it. I am very precise. So when I get the input bug, only one standing 1 comes out. Input drops online rape my soul.

From your list, I have never had one of those outside of the one I quoted be a wtf moment... only the input bug.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier

-hits with 21 ex fan, hits with jip, f21 is blocked

that's all i can think of lol. im sure there's more
This one started happening to me after the very last patch when they changed the properties of JIP, if you hit the JIP to early they will recover before your F2 hits them,

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
What's up guys?! I'm new to this site. I've always been MK fan since I was 3 years. I been wanting to play the game competitively. I also play DOA5 competitively (my 1st competitive game) This will be the other game I go competitive. I got inspired to play this game (MK9) competitively. I already have the game. I've had it every since I was 18, but I thought I had to go about "being competitive" in a different aspect. I thought you had to be a top player online lmao!

But anyways I chose Sub-Zero & Kitana to be my mains. I always been a fan of the 2 besides Scorpion. So can anybody give me a brief breakdown on Kitana? What is her gameplan? Offensive rushdown or Defensive zoner? etc.. What are some Bnb combos? How well does she stack up against others?

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Welcome to the Edenian sisterhood.

Her game plan changes depending on who's she's fighting. She is pretty versatile and often controls the pace of matchups. Her zoning is good in many matchups. Not just her projectile zoning but spacing out with her long range normals. When she has to go on the offense it's more about blowing up mistakes and mixing up jump ins, normals and grabs rather than continuous pressure.

You should read some of the threads here on the front page of this sub-forum. There is a lot of good information. Do not be afraid to ask specific questions though, we're generally friendly(except me sometimes). Revolver's thread about combos is up to date and has all the BNB combos you need.

She stacks up well against most of the cast. She is a good character(SOME people downplay her). There are a few MU where she is limited and cannot play her game but she does hella damage so they're all winnable.

Reactions: JDE

JDE

Thanks! That's what I needed to hear! So I'll work with her a lil more than Sub since she has more match ups in her favor.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I've had all of yours lol. Mine are -
-does 21, the 2 hits and the 1 whiffs. even more annoying than the f21 issue because the 1 in 21 is supposed to have the range
-jumps into a low squareboost. hits the ground and gets a normal one.
-backs up and tries to anti air. gets b2. even better - sometimes it hits lololol
-anti airs with 2~fan when they're right on you, gets 2~squareboost and it hits from the reverse direction

What's up guys?! I'm new to this site. I've always been MK fan since I was 3 years. I been wanting to play the game competitively. I also play DOA5 competitively (my 1st competitive game) This will be the other game I go competitive. I got inspired to play this game (MK9) competitively. I already have the game. I've had it every since I was 18, but I thought I had to go about "being competitive" in a different aspect. I thought you had to be a top player online lmao!

But anyways I chose Sub-Zero & Kitana to be my mains. I always been a fan of the 2 besides Scorpion. So can anybody give me a brief breakdown on Kitana? What is her gameplan? Offensive rushdown or Defensive zoner? etc.. What are some Bnb combos? How well does she stack up against others?
What's up man! Glad to see a new player here.

Kitana has three big aspects of her game - Zoning, Damage, and Footsies.

Her instant air fans are a great zoning tool in many matchups to keep your opponents out and maintain a life lead, as well as controlling the air game. She has some of the highest damage in the game outside of reset characters, yet because she doesn't have the fastest normals, her game in rushdown and footsies should be based on baiting your opponents and making them make mistakes which she can capitalize greatly on. For example, her long range 21 and f21 are great at punishing whiffed pokes and normals.

Let us know any specific questions you have. The Kitana community is a lovely group of people and are always willing to help out. *edit* except scumbag 16bit beating me to this post

Reactions: JDE

JDE

I've had all of yours lol. Mine are -
-does 21, the 2 hits and the 1 whiffs. even more annoying than the f21 issue because the 1 in 21 is supposed to have the range
-jumps into a low squareboost. hits the ground and gets a normal one.
-backs up and tries to anti air. gets b2. even better - sometimes it hits lololol
-anti airs with 2~fan when they're right on you, gets 2~squareboost and it hits from the reverse direction

What's up man! Glad to see a new player here.

Kitana has three big aspects of her game - Zoning, Damage, and Footsies.

Her instant air fans are a great zoning tool in many matchups to keep your opponents out and maintain a life lead, as well as controlling the air game. She has some of the highest damage in the game outside of reset characters, yet because she doesn't have the fastest normals, her game in rushdown and footsies should be based on baiting your opponents and making them make mistakes which she can capitalize greatly on. For example, her long range 21 and f21 are great at punishing whiffed pokes and normals.

Let us know any specific questions you have. The Kitana community is a lovely group of people and are always willing to help out. *edit* except scumbag 16bit beating me to this post
LOL Thanks fellas. There's actually a pretty decent scene here in TN. So I can definitely get some practice & casual matches & stuff in that'll help me prep. Plus, my college campus has the game in general in the game room. So that's even more satisfying! But I'll follow a few of you guys! I can already tell that I'll like this community as well.