What's new

Strategy - Kitana Kitana General Discussion/Strategies

Status
Not open for further replies.

regulas

Your Emporer
What... what even is this? Did you ACTUALLY read this thread or did you just go back one page and read about what we say her weaknesses are? Do you think we aren't aware of everything that you're saying? Someone who clearly doesn't even play the character and is coming through telling her mains how to play by theory fighting?

Are you so unbelievably dense that you think you can just come here randomly and explain some magical, enlightening strategy that NO Kitana player has thought of at this point? By all means, pick up Kitana for a week and fill us in on how great your theories pan out. Maybe you can figure out something we haven't been able to. If you don't, please keep the theory fighting to your own character forums. Please and thanks.
What you quoted was a specific response to a sepcific post which I eneded with a ? because I wasn't sure how effective it is but noone talks about, everyone seems to want to zone or mix-up or other crap she can't do at all. Anyway since you're just going to keep raging at me anyway so whatever:

To mine own uneducated eyes mournful looks so much better then the rest with every single block string has like 30 frames of cancel such that you can glaive it all making almost everything safe. You can also hitconfirm everything in mournful into combo's, and the glaive pressure can't be as easily evaded to boot. It gives the appearence of being able to play an actual footsies game with auto combo's whenever you succeed.

But apparently this must all suck ass?

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Well Glaive is safer in block strings but she doesn't have the air control of the other two because Glaives do so little damage no one will care if they eat them. Thing is against strong competition they rarely jump and play on the ground so you're not going to get air fan conversions often anyway. So in theory Mournful could be better against comp that doesn't jump against her and who punish ground fan block strings. Then again without the threat of air fan they can jump more freely and even if they don't jump into air fans often the threat of it gives you damage from other things that wouldn't be worth using glaive for. I dunno.

ThaRawDeal

Not to be trifled with!
Well Glaive is safer in block strings but she doesn't have the air control of the other two because Glaives do so little damage no one will care if they eat them. Thing is against strong competition they rarely jump and play on the ground so you're not going to get air fan conversions often anyway. So in theory Mournful could be better against comp that doesn't jump against her and who punish ground fan block strings. Then again without the threat of air fan they can jump more freely and even if they don't jump into air fans often the threat of it gives you damage from other things that wouldn't be worth using glaive for. I dunno.

That's pretty much how I've been playing her. My game has revolved around chip damage, meter building, and punishing frustrated opponents. I don't like complaining about characters, played Jade from the very beginning in MK9 and you guys never saw me around here, but I'm tired of all my favorite characters not having competitive move sets or getting nerfed. I mean fuck, I didn't even get my favorite character back, just an after thought variation that doesn't even have a staff attack outside of a punishable command grab. I've been playing and having fun, win most of my matches online, but I know that when I go offline to compete I'm gonna end up wearing my ass for a hat if I main Kitana vs a top tier player. With the way movement works in this game zoning alone won't win you matches at high level.

The only way you can apply ground pressure is if you have meter and your opponent respects your option of armor after a -3 Glaive. Guess wrong and you lose 2 bars or 30% health or more. Guess right and you get about 5% chip or up to 17% if EX Staff grab beats whatever move they stuck out. There are ways to make it work, but the reward just doesn't equal the risk when you compare her to the rest of the cast.

Last edited:

Laos_boy

Meow Hoes
So, there's currently all of this "option select" talk floating about. Has anyone played around with this for Kitana? What are her options?

I can apparently cancel the fan (after inputting the command) to confirm a F112 combo, but I feel like there has to be more to it than that, and that's not a pure "option select" anyway. :-/
B14 db1 DDD blk. Lift only comes out on hit

Laos_boy

Meow Hoes
Okay guise b2 isn't THAT bad. You just have to yolo it.
I've Anti aired with this move more than using it as an OH. Lol. But it still catches people blocking low. People still got hit with Harleys f2(off and online) and that was 28f
I just wish is was + on block.

Laos_boy

Meow Hoes
Im doing WAY much better with mournful than the other two. Maybe its because I put so much time into it. But I feel like I have better control of the match. I can play footsies I can control the ground. Ij2 is good enough for air control. Ugh I just miss the conversions and the meterless damage.

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
What do you mean by footies ? i'm a newbie :p
Footsies is a broad term, but it's a mid-range tactic where you try to use safe pokes and attacks to try to get your opponent to whiff attack (completely miss) so you can punish. Footsies is a great tool, especially if you are good at reading opponents.

And no, Kitana is not very good with footsies.

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
If it helps even more, footsies is basically like boxing. It's trying to get a feel for your opponent, either waiting for them to attack and miss then you hit, or you do quick jabs to slow them down.

Here's an example:

I know it's MK9 but it's more about the philosophy of footsies in fighting games rather than the particular game itself.

Last edited:

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
omg
ij2 xx float xx 2 is so fucking good and it's an overhead that's 0 on block
so you can do stuff like ij2, b4
I've been saying that for a while now lol. If you do the NJP after float too quickly, it's a mid instead. You have to delay it slightly for it to be an OH. Either way, it still jails and can catch people off guard. If the NJP is blocked tho, its safe, but anything she throws out after that can be armored.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
This is Street Fighter, but it's one of the best examples of footsies I know, so I always refer people to this.

Watch the way Daigo and Valle both fight for every inch on the screen, attempting to control their space and push their opponent to the corner. Watch how carefully they control the space between them as they look for whiff punishes and opportunities. This match is pretty much the definition of footsies!

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
This is Street Fighter, but it's one of the best examples of footsies I know, so I always refer people to this.

Watch the way Daigo and Valle both fight for every inch on the screen, attempting to control their space and push their opponent to the corner. Watch how carefully they control the space between them as they look for whiff punishes and opportunities. This match is pretty much the definition of footsies!
Much better example than mine, lol.

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
Doesn't she has a safe blockstring in Mournful of some sort? I was watching Crazy Dominican use the variation & he did a string to REO on block & then Glaive to push back.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Doesn't she has a safe blockstring in Mournful of some sort? I was watching Crazy Dominican use the variation & he did a string to REO on block & then Glaive to push back.
no her block strings are the same in that variation. glaive is just safe on block

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
Ah, ok. I'm going to look into her some more today. I've just been too sick to do anything, except type (Sinus infection :( ).

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
So lately I've come to terms with the fact that I just can't rushdown with Kitana in this game.... like at all. That's fine. So I've been regulating myself to do throw, b2, or sweep after a jump in punch to give myself some space to gtfo of my opponent's face while they're down.

....then I got d1'd out of the b2 startup after the jiP. People are just poking right out after a b1 or b14. I'm running out of mixups. I guess it's time to just live or die by throws. -_-

can we talk about the 30 frame 4 though? I would love to learn the ways of Assasin, but her ex run move doesn't do crap against multi projectiles (would be nice to have multiple if not infinite armor and just have it be full combo punishable on block).

Rean

Noob
unlike other characters, we can jump over and airfan on landing to disrupt the spam. and almost every projectile trade is in our favor

Status
Not open for further replies.