What's new

General/Other - Kitana Kitana Assassin and Royal Storm Variations Break

Which Character Variation is your favorite?

• Assassin

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • Royal Storm

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • Mournful

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters

KillaGthug4Life

Believe in Magic yet? Let us Dance
Because @RunwayMafia already covered Mournful Kitana. http://testyourmight.com/threads/the-essence-of-jade-mournful-variation-breakdown.48376/ I figured I'd bread down the others. Kitana is a bit different and I have not quite passed judgement on her character. I think she has loads of potential though, from the game play reveal here are her shared moves:

1. Fan lift (combo started, very easily cancelable into attack strings)
2. Up fan (anti air: 7%, can mb for extra hit and 13% damage. Slight possibility for followup)
3. Fan toss (her typical zoning tool, has a good hitbox, probably does around 6% damage... 12% if mb, not sure if mb can be canceled. Air fan Kitana hangs more than in MK9, might make Instant Air Fans a bit more difficult, hard to speculate so early. On hit looks like she can sprint for a combo)
4. Float (Decpetive move, can appear to jump in but float instead and come down as a NJ. Unsure if useful)
5. Throat slice (great very fast move that does 10% damage. I don't believe there is a MB. From Game play the move appears to be neutral on block or very slightly negative. Also greatly lowers her hitbox on block. Probably going to be an effective tool for Kitana)

Assassin version:
Princess Parry- 15% Can be held, not sure if dash cancel-able, reacts to Mid and High attacks.
  • 15 Percent is pretty damn good damage for a perry. 2-3 succesful perrys is more than a third or more of their life. I'm hoping that this also reacts to jump ins
Assassin Strike- 12% Very negative on block but fast covering of distance and possibly used for punishing moves mid-full screen.
  • Mb does 19%, with sharp it does 24% meterless. Can be jumped though, mb has faster start up and armor. Great anti zoning tool potentially, comparable to CW's cat dash.
Sharpe- Damage increase.
  • Unsure about how much extra damage is added, possibly very effective for more damaging zoning.

Royal Storm Version: Much more Zoning Oriented
Fan- Nado: An upgraded version of her Fan lift. This move has about quarter screen range meterless. Not too negative on block, hopefully a great tool to catch dash ins and VERY hopefully able to hit air born opponents.
  • Mb goes full screen, This may lead to decently large combos from a succesful air fan paired with sprint.
Bounce Back- Reflects projectiles. Good startup, does not seem like much of a cool down. Last a long time so not heavy on execution.

Square boost- Similar to MK9, except doesn't go full screen.
Appears to be a great anti air. And possibly upon inputting Kitana square boosts closer to the ground instead of at the top of the screen. Possibly great tool for getting in or catching dash ins. Un sure how plus or negative it is on block.

I like the frustration that Royal Storm will possibly inspire in its opponents. I'm hoping Kitana will be able to use an IAF (Instant Air Fan) as a strong zoning tool. I'm curious to see how she's utilized when the game is released. From the game play she appears to have several good ranged over head starters, but I have not yet seen any low starters.

Thoughts?

@Laos_boy
@Mr. Mileena
@Pan1cMode
@GGA 16 Bit
@RunwayMafia
@Eldriken

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
She looked more or less the same in regards of fan tossing, in the kombat kast 3 stream.

I'm worried that dash blocking being gone, and her "zoning" being more or less the same, it's going to be hell to play against her.
She definitively seems not out-zonable due to the projectile reflect thing.
She still has the butt-charge, looks as safe as ever on whiff and block.

Of course she might play differently when the game comes out, but how it looks from outside it seems she's getting too powerful. I'm thinking about all the streams and the characters already announced and she seems to have an answer to every character shown, while those characters have no answer for the fan-toss flurry (except Kung Lao, of course).

I really hope we won't get a buffed kabal in kitana for mkx.

Other things I noticed:

No more double fans on normal projectile, it's only one so probably it won't be that hard to dash after.
Indeed air fans leave her lingering a bit more in the air.
Ex fans no longer holdable? Probably her combos will revolve a lot more on the fan lift this time.

Last edited:

KillaGthug4Life

She looks to be the complete package, variation wise. I'm digging all three.

The projectile parry is seriously going to make people rage...can't wait.
That parry is rediculous. 15% is an absurd amount of life lol. And if it parrys jump ins... this bitch is gonna be so overpowered. She seems to be less poke oriented opposed to MK9. D' Vorah looks like she's gonna be the footsi queen, unless Mileena blows her out of the water.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
That parry is rediculous. 15% is an absurd amount of life lol. And if it parrys jump ins... this bitch is gonna be so overpowered. She seems to be less poke oriented opposed to MK9. D' Vorah looks like she's gonna be the footsi queen, unless Mileena blows her out of the water.
Yup. She is going to be craaaazy with a life lead. Also, I predict as the game plays out, Mournful will be better than Assassin and just slightly behind Royal Storm. Yeah, I said it. ;)

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
Hmm I did wonder if you could parry jump ins, but then you'd just get opened up with empty jump ins and low starters.

I'm liking Assassin so far personally, though will obviously play all three.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
She looks awesome. I'm like 95% sure she'll be my main. Thanks for the breakdown :). Been in med school so things are kinda hectic at the moment.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Why does the Assassin running stab take 23% opponent health when MB or sharpened? Why? How? Doesn't even make sense.

That whole "this isn't the final damage" better ring true.

NoobHunter420

Scrub God Lord
Nice to have the information.
damage percentage and frame advantage doesn't mean much, it will probably change if it hasn't already.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Kitanas stance looks awful. I know it has nothing to do with gameplay but thats one of the reasons I dont feel like using her. Though I will if she is top tier.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
Although I'm hyped for Kitana and will undoubtedly be co-maining her along side Mileena, I find the lack of of anything even remotely resembling "cutter" disturbing.

KillaGthug4Life

Although I'm hyped for Kitana and will undoubtedly be co-maining her along side Mileena, I find the lack of of anything even remotely resembling "cutter" disturbing.
Cannot help but agree with you there. I'm just curious about Kitana's pressure... if there is much of any.

Regardless Mileena is gonna be the bae so I'll just bite my time till then. Calling it next two reveals are going to be Mileena and Goro